drank Keemun 1110 by The Republic of Tea

Gosh, I’m so behind on comment replies it’s not even funny! I’ll get to it eventually! I promise! I’ll try and get it done at some point this week. I’ll be home alone for the rest of the week, as Husband is on his way to the UK right now, so suddenly I’ve got a lot of time on my hands. (He’s going to the funeral of the friend whom we lost recently. Unfortunately there wasn’t time enough for me to get my new passport in time that I could go too. Yeah, in theory I could have got one of those temporary emergency ones that you can use for just the one trip, but you know what they cost? The same as a normal passport! Which is none too cheap to begin with. I’m not made of money! O.O So I’m staying home.)

This one also came from Auggy and that alone makes me very excited to try it. Apart from being my taste twin, Auggy is, in my opinion, the Keemun Expert, just like JacquelineM is the Vanilla Expert. I don’t know if either of them will agree with that label, but that’s one of the major things I associate the both of them with tea-wise and I consider them more experienced than me in these fields. So when Auggy shares a Keemun with me, I stand up straight and pay attention! (Or sit and learn at the feet of the master. Which ever you prefer.)

The aroma of the leaves seems fairly strong. It’s smoky, which is a good sign, and has something to it that reminds me of leather and tobacco. I don’t like tobacco or anything to do with it. I think it’s a filthy disgusting habit which makes the smoker reek to high heaven, and at work I’ve seen lungs blackened and with tumors the size of my fist, but the smell of the actual tobacco leaf when it is pure and not mixed with a myriad of other chemicals, that is nice. When I was little, my grandfather smoked a pipe, and I suppose the smell of the tobacco leaf reminds of that. So it’s more of an association thing, I suppose. It still reminds me of him even though I haven’t seen him with a pipe for 25 years.

After brewing isn’t the strongest I’ve ever met, but I am catching a whiff of grain down there as well as something both slightly smoky and slightly floral in just the right balance. Nice! Hold this thought!

The flavour makes up for the fact that the aroma isn’t very assertive. It’s got a lot of grainy body and there is also a pretty good caramel-y note to it, which is running through and under the entire flavour. It’s just there and I can’t really tell where it starts or ends, permeating everything with carameliness. I think this is the first time I’ve had a Keemun giving me that caramel note for absolutely sure and certain. I have heard tales of this beast, and I’ve had a tentative brush with it before, but it’s definitely here in this cup. Towards the bottom of the cup it’s a really strong note and the last, lukewarm mouthful is very sweet.

The whole thing is topped with that note again of slightly smoky and floral, although instead of being exactly balanced, it’s leaning more towards the smoky side of things. Getting this bit right is for me probably what makes or breaks a Keemun more than the body of the tea. There has to be some, obviously, but smoky versus floral is really the very most important thing for me to REALLY enjoy a Keemun.

All in all, this was a very smooth experience. Not a hint of anything rough or prickly about it. Not even the smoky note, which frankly seems a little bizarre, but is true all the same. I should have thought the very definition of smoky would include pricklyness in some form or another, but even so this does have a clear smoky note, and it isn’t prickly. I can’t puzzle that one out. It just is that way.

I think I like it.

I should have liked the aroma to be a little bit more assertive, and I’m thinking that’s probably something I can adjust with temperature and leaf measurements, so it’s a very small beauty flaw. Probably especially the former, I think. I wasn’t too quick about getting the kettle after it finished, see.

So is it the Perfect Keemun? No. And no amount of adjusting in brewing can make it so. Why not? Because I can’t go out and buy it!

And so, the hunt continues.

ETA: Turns out the aforementioned beauty flaw was definitely something to do with temperature. The kettle was only set to 70°C. DUH! Second steep, at proper temperature, went down a treat. :D

Bonnie

I enjoyed your discourse on Keemuns!

Helena

I’m with you on the tobacco stuff. I can’t stand it. I’m glad the tea tasted good though :D

Lynxiebrat

I remember when my Dad used to smoke a pipe…I loved the smell of it. Much better then the cigarettes. Smoky flavored tea…not sure if I would like that, but of course willing to check it out.

Auggy

How funny – this one leans much more floral for me. Orchid all the way! (But I agree – it’s quite lovely!)

Angrboda

Bonnie, thank you. Finding the Perfect Keemun would be a lot easier if I hadn’t already worked out what I want it to taste like…

Helena, I know, right! I just don’t understand what makes people want to do that to themselves.

Lynxiegrl, when my grandfather smoked a pipe I was probably too young to form any opinion on it. It was just something that he did. I probably believed it had something to do with how to be a grandfather. :p Smoky tea is awesome, but then I’m biased. How do you feel about smoked food? Fish, for example? If you like that, do give the smoky tea a try as well.

Auggy, how odd! I’ll have to try it again and see. It may have something to do with it not really developing fully what iwth my kettle mishap. I’d forgotten to set the temperature, so it was made like a green tea. Hardly the best conditions. :p

Lynxiebrat

I love smoked turkey and salmon. and I definitely want to try it out…I mean plenty of things I didn’t think I’d like I ended up loving. And other things that I thought I’d love, I detested! lol. So it is an adventure.

Auggy

I imagine temp didn’t help. But hopefully at a black tea temp you’ll still like it! I find it super-pretty. Not quite oomph-y enough to take over as my favorite Keemun (CTG’s still has that) but I like it enough that I’ll probably buy it again!

Angrboda

I don’t think I’ve had it done properly yes. I had the second steep on the correct temperature, but wasn’t paying too much attention to it. Which indicates that it was good, because I think I would have noticed had it been thin. :)

Auggy

Funnily enough, I’ve had this one a couple of times recently and picked up more smoky prickle. Still very orchid-y, but a bit more balanced. I kind of blame you for influencing my subconscious. ;)

Comments

Bonnie

I enjoyed your discourse on Keemuns!

Helena