No. 1 is at a sleepover, no. 2 and I just finished watching March of the Penguins, and I realized I hadn’t had any tea yet today! No breakfast really either, just a bit of fruit. The BF is responsible for this pick. I thought he’d go for the Maple Bacon, but this was his vote.

I can definitely smell the raisins in the packet, and something like buttered toast too.

After steeping the aroma is unbelievable—exactly like buttered cinnamon raisin toast! I’m not sure how 52 Teas accomplished this but I suspect it wasn’t straightforward. I detect a floral note underlying the aroma. The tea is a clear reddishy-orangy-brown, so the raisins, cinnamon and whatever else is in here to give this flavor isn’t clouding up the works.

Now, understanding that this is one of my elderly 52 Teas collection and that I had apparently tasted it before because the packet was opened, though ziplocked (it seems I didn’t write a note about it when I last tasted it), I’ll say this—I taste toast, I taste butter. I taste just enough raisin and cinnamon so that it isn’t plain buttered toast. Of all the flavors, I probably get the cinnamon the least, which is surprising. And I am not really tasting the tea, except through the floral note mentioned earlier. But you don’t really drink a tea like this for the tea, do you?

I have to give it high marks for living up to its name so well. I could use a touch more cinnamon, but who is to say whether there was more when this was fresh? The fact that it has held most of its unusual flavor merits points, too. The only downside, and the reason I didn’t rate it higher, is that there’s an aspect to the flavor that makes me worry that the novelty will wear off really fast with this one. There’s a fine line with the floral note between conjuring the buttered cinnamon raisin toast experience and something artificial tasting.

The BF says: “I like it!”

I asked whether he tasted buttered cinnamon raisin toast.

“I don’t know, but I like it!”

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California