Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

Dark, smokey, and incredibly dangerous. Each sip will awaken a deep burning in your chest, while the tea itself shines with various gold notes.

Inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. Created purely for my own amusement

ingredients:
lapsang souchong, candy cane, ginger

accents:
cinnamon, ginger, marigold flowers

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

A sample from Shmiracles. I saved this one until last because I was scared of it. Understandably so, I think…lapsang souchong, candy cane and ginger isn’t exactly an everyday combination. At least not for me. I’m up for trying anything once, though.

Brewed, this smells equally of smoke and vanilla. It’s an odd combination, and just as odd to taste. The main flavour is, of course, the heavy, beef jerky smokiness of lapsang souchong. The candy cane comes out in the aftertaste, adding a cooling, almost menthol-like, freshness. The vanilla also contributes a slight sweetness. It’s not exactly a natural pairing, but it’s actually not as disasterous as I thought it would be. As dragon themed teas go, I suppose it’s fairly appropriate — in terms of smokiness at least. What candy cane has to do with it, I’ve no idea. I can’t really taste the ginger at all, which is a shame. That I could see working quite well.

Of the two Smaug teas I’ve tried, I definitely prefer the 52Teas version. Smoky teas aren’t really my thing in general, although this was more drinkable than I’d anticipated. A totally unique tea, and an experience for sure! Many thanks to Shmiracles for sharing this one-of-a-kind blend with me! I completely agree that everyone should try it at least once.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp