Banana Oolong (organic)

Fruit Oolong Blend
Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I reached the end of my first 50g packet of this today... and unfortunately I think the bottom was laced with extra stevia. Consequently, it was disturbingly and sickeningly sweet :( Still the...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2352 tasting notes
  • “I finally made it to the new David's tea in San Francisco! I picked this tea to try in the store. I don't know what water temperature this was at. To me it seemed really hot since it took me a...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2459 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown (204/206)! Cold brewed overnight and half drank in the morning and half at work in a timolino. Total cold brew time was 12 hours. I'm pretty excited to see this gone because it was an...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2037 tasting notes
  • “I got a big box of teas in from *greatlin* yesterday! Thanks so much! After my successful go with the mandarin silk oolong the day before, I was craving even more oolong. I knew that this was one...” Read full tasting note
    Molybdenum 252 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Strange but true

We’ve all heard stories about magic and romance happening under a banana tree. But did you know bananas don’t even grow on trees? They are actually the world’s largest herb. And we’ve got plenty more banana trivia where that came from. For example, we bet you didn’t know that banana and oolong tea are best friends. It’s true. The combination of green Oolong and ripe banana is the perfect balance of fresh and sweet. It’ll make you look at bananas in a totally new way. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Oolong, banana, stevia leaf. With natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I am not usually a fan of banana teas, other than snow bunny, but this was fairly good.
The flavours really complement each other, the sweetness of the banana and stevia with the smooth, creamy, butter taste of the oolong.
I like how each flavour isn’t too strong, they are both just right.
2nd steep: 7min, 95degrees, lost most of the banana flavour but it is still tasty buttery oolong

I wasn’t expecting much from this tea, as I always get disappointed by banana flavored teas. I find myself searching for the banana, but it’s never really there, or the taste is weird… but this one… Holy spirit, this one is heaven!

I’ve been trying so many great teas lately form DavidsTea, what’s going on?

This one will be on top for a while, that’s for sure. As I’m writing this, I actually find it hard not to drink it right now!

Here’s why I like it so much: the banana could have overpowered the delicious oolong, but instead, it showcases it, it celebrates it! And mostly, it’s really there, true taste of banana!
It’s creamy but yet, very clean and refreshing.

Did I mention the beautiful golden liquor that these elegant unfolding leaves produce? Pure liquid gold, I’m in love!!!

aisling of tea

I love that feeling, when you’re writing a review for a tea and it’s all you can do not to stop and just go make yourself another cup. That’s how I feel about Orange Blossom and Santa’s Secret right now….all I want to do is drink them!

TheTeaFairy

I know!!!! such a good addiction though :) I looove the 2 you’ve mentioned, orange blossom, WOW! just can’t keep up lately, never liked so many at the same time, cheers :)

I’m finding it difficult to make up my mind about this tea. I’m getting a nice buttery oolong but not enough banana for me to consider it a banana flavored tea. Its still pleasant though! I’ll have to give it another try.

Watching this steep was incredible. I’ve been drinking oolong from another company, which i now see probably sent me the dust at the bottom of their tin. This oolong is full leaves, with the most pleasant banana aroma. It is this beautiful light golden color that makes you want to guzzle it down, until you remember how hot the water is. It tastes as light as it looks, which may be due to a lack of enough leaf on my part. There is a banana sweetness that hits your palate, but the oolong is missing, which is odd. Any suggestions on better brewing?

I used 2 teaspoons in my IngenuiTEA. Filled to about 12/13 ounces (not the full 16).

Spoonvonstup

Curious re: lack of oolong taste. How hot was your water? You might give it another with hotter water or more leaf? I usually use water just at boiling for oolongs. Judging by your reddit post pic (nice!), looks like you could definitely use either more leaves or less water. My vessels are usually packed to bursting once the leaves open up.

Greatlin

Awesome! Thanks spoonvonstup! I will try less water in the next infusion. I also was wondering, with teas you can do multiple infusions, if I am going to use the leaf the next day, should I refrigerate it or just leave it hanging out in the infuser, room temperature?

Spoonvonstup

I think multiple infusions are always ideal if you can do them within the same session (especially with most oolongs, with can develop a lemony taste if left sitting). However, that being said… I never know how to answer your question “officially”.. only describe what tend to happen with me. I don’t know if it’s “best” but I usually just leave my leaves sitting out in the open air. By the next day, they’ll have dried, and I just resteep after a second or two “wake up” rinse to warmt eh leaves back up.
If it’s getting to be humid icky summer time and I’m down in Houston? Then I might put the leaves in the fridge if I remember to avoid mold. But then again, I am lazy and probably would only remember to leave the leaves uncovered so that they could dry a bit rather than trapping the moisture inside a cup in the humidity.

Teas like this make me think my senses are back to norm and then I end up dissappointed later… haha. This was pretty decent!! for an oolong. I’ve had better milky type tea before but I like this one more than the standard DT Milky Oolong. The banana is present in the first steep but barely so. It’s a little “malty” or rather as close as I’ve gotten in weeks, so I imagine it will be loads better in time! my standards are a little low these days… but getting higher by the sip! :)
Not sure I’d purchase this. In my memory, the Tea Emporium milky oolong is the best local variety I’ve tried.
I think the third steep was the best btw!

Cattibrie

I found a great banana smell but no banana taste. I still liked it but not sure I will go out of my way to get it again since it is an expensive one.

Indigobloom

oh, phew! good to know I am not the only one!!

I haven’t had this in a long time. I ordered 50g of it online when it was on clearance. The smell of this was amazing! Just like a real, ripe banana. But, when I drank it, that banana was lost in the oolong. This was back when I first started drinking loose leaf teas and I was looking for BIG flavour. I was really disappointed that I could barely taste the banana, so I mixed this tea with vanilla orchid and Butiki’s strawberry oolong, as I wasn’t impressed with the flavours of those either for the same reasons, not strong enough. Looking back now, I wish I hadn’t mixed those, as I am really craving a cup of this. I can remember the taste and I know I would appreciate it a lot more now, I am getting more into strait teas and am really preferring lighter flavours. Too bad I can’t buy any more :( I still have that blend though, and the most prominent flavour is the banana, so that will have to do.

Forgot to review this one. I got it in the mail a couple weeks ago and suddenly I’m staring at the bottom of an empty bag of sadness. I don’t think I’ve ever gone through a tea quite as fast as I’ve gone through this one.

It has this sort of subtle sweetness that I just love. It smells incredible, and tastes just as good. The oolong is there, and the banana sort of lingers behind for a nice, delicious finish. Its sweet and light and definitely a favorite. I’ve had it hot and iced, steeped it over and over again and each cup never fails to satisfy.

Goodbye, banana oolong. We shall meet again when my finances allow. Until then, I shall miss you. </3

Argh, my phone hates Steepster and ate my review.

Anyway. Wandered into DT after work last night, wanting to have something I’d never tried before. Which, knowing how current and encompassing our stash is, is actually pretty difficult. After a little bit of searching, we pulled this one down.

My overall impression of the tea was of a mild and flavourful oolong similar to an iron goddess, with a kicker of banana marshmallow. I do love me some banana marshmallows, but this tea left me craving more oolong – just straight, delicious oolong. So I went back to DT for some.

Man, I love Banana Oolong. I’m not too fussy on bananas, but this tea is so creamy and buttery, it doesn’t even bother me. However, the smell of the dry leaves and the tea itself is enough to make me vomit some days. I rarely drink this one because the smell is such a turn off! I’m always reminding myself that the tea is good, just don’t smell it! So it definitely loses big points for that – whoever heard of a tea that tastes awesome but smells nauseating?
It did, however, give me a chance to try out my new kettle! An early christmas present from the boy (he didn’t want me to wait!): http://www.cuisinart.ca/cuisinart_product.php?item_id=290&product_id=335&cat_id=13 … I’m in so much love.

Kittenna

Oh man… so jealous of that kettle. Definitely going on the sometime-in-the-future wishlist! (Also, I find the smell of dry Cranberry Pear a bit nauseating in its sweetness, but love it steeped. So it does happen!)

AliPants

Haha thanks!! I love it, and could no longer live without it!! One that’s actually way cooler is the Breville One Touch! http://www.breville.ca/beverages/the-tea-maker.html
And I totally agree with you – I also find Cranberry Pear really nauseating, but it can taste quite good! I wish they had a cranberry tea that tasted like those Christmas cranberry body lotions/soaps that you get from places like Bath and Body Works/Body Shop though…

Kittenna

That kettle is super cool, but I have a ways to go before I can justify spending $300 on a kettle, especially given that I’m currently arguing with my car insurance company over a $25/month rate hike, haha.

Mmm, yes, my mouth is watering just thinking of more cranberry tea options. I really quite like them, and I think they’d be great in a juicy herbal tea :D

Major thanks to 20monkies for swapping with me and sending some of this! Mmm… it’s banana and oolong, two of my favorite things. I’m currently on my second steep and the leaves have nearly fully unfurled. I used just around 2tsp in my 16oz steeping mug. Very happy I have some of this in my possession!

195 °F / 90 °C
20monkies

So glad you are enjoying this! :D