Palm Court

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Just a short tasting note, you can see my previous notes for more info. I was finishing off the last of this one from *ashmanra* and forgot how good it is. I will need to get some more one of...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2582 tasting notes
  • “Tea with lunch..... Today, lunch was a ham sandwich on Italian bread with colby jack cheese, mayo, and a ripe tomato. And Palm Court Tea. Assam, Keemun, Ceylon, and Oolong. Compared to my...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “After reading Dinosara's post about her tea with rosebuds today, I almost mixed this with Rose Scented Black. At the last minute I decided to make it straight since we were already have a peach...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to Ashmanra for this sample! I sampled this w/o knowing the contents in the blend. So my first impressions were: mild breakfast tea, smooth, not astringent, no need to add sugar, no...” Read full tasting note
    lorimarantopittman 328 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Center court for New York’s tea world is the Plaza Hotel’s Palm Court. This classic blend of four teas is the tea choice in that baroque room. Have a cup at home and imagine yourself relaxing in that splendid palace on Fifth Avenue.

About Harney & Sons View company

Just a short tasting note, you can see my previous notes for more info.

I was finishing off the last of this one from ashmanra and forgot how good it is. I will need to get some more one of these days. If black teas had personalities, this would be a well-mannered and handsome gentleman. :)

Does he have money?!

SimplyJenW

Is he eligible?

Is he breathing?

TeaBrat

Ha ha! Well, in my dreams perhaps yes… but for now you can get some at Harney and Sons. giggles

Bonnie

You realize that I’m sitting in tea hell (STARBUCKS) right now writing on my Kindle about an imaginary tea flavor man! How pathetic!

ashmanra

This is also excellent with one teaspoon of Rose Scented added to the pot. Yummmmmm.

ScottTeaMan

I tried this tea many, many moons ago, and remember it being pretty good. Then I found it in the cupboard many months later, and it was stale. :-// I think I have a sample, and when I find it I’ll write a proper review.

Scott B

I bought this at the tea shop a couple weeks ago. Brewed it just once, but it was very good. Need to try some more.

Tea with lunch…..

Assam, Keemun, Ceylon, and Oolong. Compared to my Supreme Breakfast this morning, it is definitely lower on the malty taste, but there is a bready taste that comes from the Ceylon in this blend. I am also getting a toastiness that is not present in the Supreme Breakfast, and I am guessing that comes from the Oolong. All of these flavors are seamlessly woven together in a well rounded cup of tea. I am pretty sure this will not make it to a breakfast tea for me, but it is still fabulous. I need the super punch of maltiness in the morning.

On an interesting note, my receipt from the Millerton Shop noted this tea as Palm Court (Titanic). I think that means this is the same as Titanic Blend.

Usual mug method.
Rated just a tad higher than Titanic because I like it better in loose leaf!

After reading Dinosara’s post about her tea with rosebuds today, I almost mixed this with Rose Scented Black. At the last minute I decided to make it straight since we were already have a peach flavored tea. I am so glad I did. I don’t drink this one often enough. As soon as I took a sip I had to blurt, “Man, that’s good!”. And it was. This is a great black tea and paired wonderfully with our afternoon eclairs and cookies. Another one that has has to stay in the cupboard!

Thanks to Ashmanra for this sample!

I sampled this w/o knowing the contents in the blend. So my first impressions were: mild breakfast tea, smooth, not astringent, no need to add sugar, no bitterness. After checking out this site, I learned the secret: the oolong must be masking the bite of any assams. Really, I did not detect any chocolate notes present in the keenum.
Also, really not very smoky either.

As I have been on a sugar avoidance kick and am looking for morning alternatives to assams (which in my opinion just need sugar and milk), this is a pleasant alternative. But I still miss my sugary, milky assams…..

ashmanra

Lori, my favorite teas for no sugar are Golden Monkey, Tower of London, Cranberry Autumn, and Golden Mudan. Have you tried those? Also, I sometimes drink Queen Catherine without sugar. For breakfast, though, I haven’t really tried giving up the sugar! I usually just go sugarless in the afternoon! Oh, and don’t forget Eight at the Fort!

Lori

Agreed that Golden Monkey is great w/no sugar. And, I am sooo tempted to bring back my sugar in the morning. I really miss my milky, sugary AM tea…

On the one hand, how can I not drink something that is served at the Plaza? I spend a lot of my time homesick for New York, so anything that invokes NYC is going to call to me. On the other, I do have this thing about multiple kinds of tea in the same blend. I suppose I can make a distinction here though as there’s no green tea in this. Technically, the green/black moratorium doesn’t apply to black/oolong. I’ve had another black/oolong blend recently that worked fairly well, can’t now remember what it was.

The smell from the sample packet is Assam and Keemun. There’s a teensy smokiness, and a general impression of hearty earthiness.

The liquor on first glance appears to be heavily influenced by the Ceylon as it does have a twinge of red in the burnt orange, but it’s got more orange in it than I’d want in that sweater I’m looking for. The aroma is interesting. It gives the impression of being somewhat simple, but if I sit with it a while, that seems deceptive. There’s more complexity here than meets the initial sniff. I’m getting some smoke around the edges, some malty sweetness, and something sort of vaguely buttery that may be from the oolong. It’s generally smooth but there are little sharp peaks to it that make me think of the crests of waves.

It’s flavor is deceptive as well. Initially it seems fairly one-dimensional, but it’s a nice dimension. It’s somewhat astringent, and feels medium bodied to me. As I drink it more, though, I’m getting some stone fruit notes, some smoke, a tad of sweetness, and something that is almost biscuity.

I know I’m predisposed to liking this because of the name (I can be pretty gullible sometimes) but I do think it’s worth more than just a second look.

ashmanra

Just received this one myself….it’s almost as if you saw my wish list! I ordered this one and I think I got a sample of Elyse’s blend as well, though I need to double check that! I like this one pretty well – I agree with the seemed simple, grew complex impression. My youngest wanted this one after reading the description.

__Morgana__

H&S has so many awesome looking teas, and I can’t resist dumping samples into my orders. I’m almost through all of my samples and then I have to suck it up to the enormity of the order I’m likely to place since I liked so many things from this last go around. And of course, more samples! What a cycle. Lol.

Always excellent. I haven’t yet had a bad cup of this.

Its raining in Central Texas…gloomy grey skies and the constant, vertical rain that we need, yet is so depressing. So whats to do when its boringly wet outside…dust off (literaly) the teapot and the Palm Court from the back of the stove. Yeah, I know, probably shouldn’t store tea there; but in my defense, its in an airtight metal can. Put 4 heaping teaspoons into the infuser and 1.5L of water just off the boil through it. stand for 2 or so minutes and a fine cuppa. Its oxidizing in the pot, getting darker with every pour, but not getting bitter or otherwise “off”. Drinking it straight, but can tell that just a touch of sugar would be really nice I think. Good “Generic Black Tea”…doesn’t have any one thing that stands out like a varietal/regional might.

Brew temp 208

This is an interesting blend. It seems every sip features a different tea. I taste the Keemun and Ceylon the most, but I also taste the Oolong. Not noticing the Assam as much except for maybe the tannins. Very smooth and non-astringent. I would consider this a mid-morning/afternoon tea for me. Very relaxing and enjoyable. Not a must have, but I’d probably buy this again in the future.

TeaBrat

I liked this too, it certainly it unique!

Slight smoky, malty fragrance coming from a ruby black liquor. There is a powerful yeasty taste and a fair amount of bitterness. I’m really not tasting the oolong in this but it does have a nice complexity to the middle-taste (that taste you get immediately after swallowing as the liquid evaporates from your tongue but before the after-taste).

It’s an ok tea.

Mmmm… this is pretty good. I initially thought I overleafed or oversteeped – it was a super dark mahogany color. I was a little skeered and my first sip was with the anticipation of pucker your cheeks bitterness. Nope. Not much of it at all. I still think I probably over-somethinged it, but it’s pretty tasty. It is smooth and deep and robust and calming all at the same time.

The only thing off about this for me is that it smells somewhat odd when I sip it. I can’t pinpoint what it is I’m smelling though. It’s not offputting enough for me to not drink it but it won’t be a favorite tea to smell. At this point, after 3 cups, I’d reorder this if I were needing something to make it up to a free shipping level though I might not seek it out specially order it.