Banane Chocolat

Black Herbal Blend
banana, Bitter, Dark Chocolate, Chocolate, Creamy, Custard, Malt, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From Lupicia

The sweet aroma of banana and chocolate, together with bright yellow flower petals, can’t help but make you happy. The sweetness of this tea makes it popular with children.

About Lupicia View company

This is another tea from the wonderful package that ifjuly sent me.

This tea is more banana than chocolate. It’s nice real banana, not fake icky banana. The chocolate is really subtle. (Confession – banana isn’t my favorite flavor – it’s not on the HATE list like mint – it’s more on the take it or leave it list). I would have been happier if this was more chocolate less banana, but for those of you looking for a nice banana tea, this is one you should check out.

What? Banana? Chocolate? Yum.

Yay I have found a tea that smells like very ripe sweet banana, not just banana candy! I was beginning to figure it was an impossible thing to capture in tea. As it steeps the aroma becomes more candy-like, but it’s worth it for that initial hit of real banana. Yum!

The chocolate is relatively subtle compared to the banana, which I appreciate because chocolate teas are a dime a dozen but strong-real-not-candy-banana is…well, yeah, this is the first one I’ve encountered. And the chocolate IS definitely there, especially at the end of the sip—goes very well with the floral sweet banana notes. It really does evoke a chocolate-covered banana.

The tea base is not obtrusive but also not completely AWOL, a nice balance (if I’m in the mood for banana tea we’re so far off into the woods flavor-wise from tea’s standard notes I’m not exactly also in search of nuanced TEA-ish leaves anyway). Smooth, and the floral notes in very ripe banana linger at the end. Perfect for afternoon tea today with palmiers. Yum! Towards the end of his cup husband involuntarily went “mmmm!” which is his highest seal of approval, hee.

Thanks to Dexter3657 for this! Seriously, the swap box that I received from her is amazing and I am having a fantastic time trying all of these teas!

Anyway, the dry leaf of this didn’t really smell like much of anything, BUT then I added hot water and let it brew and the true banana scent that wafted up from the water was amazing. I tested it unsweetened and while it was nice, the banana flavor really pops when I added a bit of sweetener. To my taste buds, this tastes a little like the 52teas Banana Pudding but I’ll have to try some more of that to be sure and see which one I prefer. I don’t really taste chocolate, but that’s totally ok.

I have yet to make a Lupicia order, but I’d certainly add this in if I were to make one in the future. Yummy.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

oh man… i need a lupicia order..pretty sure this was on my list to try

When I was a little girl, we’d go to the Renaissance Fair every summer, and at some point during the day my mother would buy me a monkey’s tail. These treats were bananas dipped in chocolate and frozen – perfect in the scorching California sun. Now you can buy these frozen bananas in most grocery stores, but at the time this was the only place we knew to get them – so it was a special moment.

This happy childhood memory is what I wanted Banane Chocolat to invoke. It’s a nice, solid black tea. Lovely with milk. The banana is strong enough. Reminds me a bit of banana chips. The cocoa is more elusive. It’s there, I think…I can taste a little bit of its bitterness. But it’s either very light or overwhelmed by the banana.

I might try adding a little more tea next time for a stronger flavor, but I used 1.5 scoops when 1 is usually plenty. This may just be a very lightly flavored tea. Not a perfect imitation of a monkey tail, but there’s enough of the treat there that my nostalgia is satisfied.

I was kind of craving this today (which doesn’t happen often), so it tasted especially good. I really appreciate the strong banana note with the much more subtle chocolate in the background (I’m not a huge chocolate fan, especially in teas). I think the two flavours work really well together though. Perfect for a not-quite-spring-but-still-could-be-around-the-corner kind of day.

I receieved this in QueenOfTarts stash sale. Thank you!

The flavor is great in this, but I want MORE. Like in your face more. It is like drinking slightly flavored tea. See its all about that base, about that base, no treble. … I want more from the base. I want it to be deep and cocoa-y and then have this awesome banana flavor sitting on top. So this one gets a meh from me. The flavor is perfect just very weak.

2039 tasting notes

A sample from Dustin! Thank you. :)

This smells like sweet banana candy. There’s weirdly not much chocolate in there as well. I steeped a bit short and cool, because I was making an oolong at the same time. Unfortunately, the tea is really thin. I like the flavour, it’s nice that the banana is stronger than the chocolate. But the texture just isn’t doing it for me.

Are all these puerhs and oolongs ruining me for regular black tea? GASP. I hope not.

Banana candy oddly sounds really good to me even though I’m sure this must taste artificial haha.

I actually quite liked the banana flavour. It was sweet and fresh.

I think I’d prefer a banana oolong, though. Like melon oolong. :D The texture of the oolong is just… IDK, I think it would go better with the banana flavour they use.

I never tried David’s rendition but I like the idea of banana in oolong too!

David’s rendition was Before My Time. :)

Is there a banana oolong out there? That does sound good. For that matter, are there many banana flavored teas?

Had this one earlier today, after I ate dinner.
And I wish I had drank it before eating because in the middle of the cup, once again I got nauseous and couldn’t finish it! Luckily, this tea I have more than a tsp of so I can try it again whenever! :D
But I gathered this much from the third of the tea I drank:
The banana was not subtle at all. It was pretty in your face.
The chocolate added a certain bitterness to it. It might have just been the black tea base that I was tasting, but it definitely tasted kinda bitter.
It more of tasted like a dark chocolate covered banana, since it’s kinda bitter.
But I steeped it for three minutes, so maybe if I steep it for a shorter time it will be less bitter.
So yeah! It’s a really really good tea, and I will definitely enjoy drinking more of this! :D

Flavors: banana, Bitter, Dark Chocolate

My first impression when I opened up my bag of this tea was that it smelled like fake bananas/banana medicine. Bleh. I think I had been hoping more for a banana split sort of flavour. Thankfully, it’s not quite so potent once brewed, and the banana mellows enough to taste more like a real (though quite ripe) banana – but I can’t really taste any chocolate whatsoever, so it ends up tasting like a fairly basic banana black. Not really my thing. Oh well – it’s not a bad tea per se, since it’s still pretty smooth, but it’s not what I was hoping for.

The lovely NayLynn sent me a swap package full of awesome-sounding flavored teas, most of which were on my wishlist. Woohoo! This one is the first to try just because it sounds tasty and the whole package smelling like banana made me want some. I’ve had good experiences with Lupicia’s teas so far, and I’m always on the lookout for them in swaps. The leaves of this tea are small and somewhat broken, and there are a few yellow flower petals mixed in with them. Dry scent is sugary banana taffy mixed with a bit of creamy milk chocolate. I brewed a heaping teaspoon of leaf for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

The brewed aroma is still sweet banana taffy, but now it’s joined by malt. There is still a tad of milk chocolate scent present as well. I tried it plain first and there is a decent amount of banana flavor. Then I added some soy milk and agave and it’s amazing… So much creamy banana, similar to banana pudding. There’s a little bit of chocolate I suppose, but it’s very easy to overlook. Overall, decent plain, super yummy with milk! :D

Flavors: banana, Chocolate, Creamy, Custard, Malt, Sweet