Melbourne Breakfast

Honey, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Andrea Stephens

• “I bought this as a souvenir for my colleagues. I was expecting a really sweet vanilla tea, but this turned out to be something quite different. The vanilla was aromatic, but it was only barely...” Read full tasting note
    larukucafe 299 tasting notes
  • “This is one of my absolute all time favourite teas but unfortunately I can only get my hands on it when I either travel to Australia and stock up or when I can convince a visitor from the land down...” Read full tasting note
    beelicious 22 tasting notes
  • “On a recent trip to Australia (from the UK) I stumbled upon this chain of tea shops and immeditely believed I had found heaven. I ended up buying 12 of the regular sized boxes of tea to bring back...” Read full tasting note
    davidmmcneil 5 tasting notes
  • “A friend brought me this tea from his visit to Melbourne, and this is one of the most delicious breakfast teas I've had! The light smokiness from the yunnan is a lovely balance to the sweetness....” Read full tasting note
    rubicat 73 tasting notes

From T2

A warm and sweet brew with depth of character. Full, orthodox keemun leaves with a scattering of golden yunnan and assam tips produce a rich infusion with delicious vanilla and honey notes. Full-bodied and smooth, a hint of briskness cleans up a sweet vanilla finish. Versatile, refreshing and appealing, this is a morning staple that keeps telling a different story on each new day.

Brew: 1 teaspoon per 200mls, brew 2-3 minutes in water at 100 degrees Celsius.

Serve: Black or with a splash of milk. Can take sugar or a drizzle of honey if desired.

Flavour: Traditional, Vanilla

Strength: Strong

About T2 View company

I bought this as a souvenir for my colleagues. I was expecting a really sweet vanilla tea, but this turned out to be something quite different. The vanilla was aromatic, but it was only barely noticeable taste-wise. The tea was a bit sweet but the flavour came from the special plum-like sweetness of Keemun tea. The blend of Chinese tea with vanilla was a very novel combination to me… perhaps a bit weird too, given I am a Chinese and the tradition is to drink Chinese tea without any added flavour!

This is one of my absolute all time favourite teas but unfortunately I can only get my hands on it when I either travel to Australia and stock up or when I can convince a visitor from the land down under to bring it back with them… I was very excited this morning when cleaning out my tea cupboard I found a squirreled away food saver bag with a few bags of Melbourne Breakfast :) Best Sunday ever! Such rich tea-y goodness with the most subtle hint of vanilla – its the perfect morning brew with just a touch of milk!

Flavors: Vanilla

On a recent trip to Australia (from the UK) I stumbled upon this chain of tea shops and immeditely believed I had found heaven. I ended up buying 12 of the regular sized boxes of tea to bring back with me, and of them all, it’s Melbourne Breakfast that has worked it’s way to the top of that list as my go to brew in the morning.

I use the large infuser cups, so my brewing advice is always based on that.

This tea has a real depth of flavour, and while the most obvious note is that of vanilla – like other reviewers have said – it doesn’t overpower, and to me tastes more like a very mild chocolate, especially towards the end of the cup where it sometimes even tastes a bit like a hot chocolate to me.

Despite that, for most of the cup it is very much a tea – and although there is a slight smokiness, it doesn’t come out too strong against the sweet vanilla.

for my infuser I use a tablespoon of leaf, and infuse for the instructed three minutes. Being a Brit, who adds milk to every black tea, getting a deep flavour and colour is essential. Using less than a tablespoon gave a weak and grey murk.

As an introduction to flavoured tea I would say Melbourne breakfast is perfect for those who don’t find vanilla flavoured products distasteful.

A friend brought me this tea from his visit to Melbourne, and this is one of the most delicious breakfast teas I’ve had! The light smokiness from the yunnan is a lovely balance to the sweetness. It’s a great milk tea, but it’s so rich and just sweet enough that I don’t NEED the milk. This is a revelation – breakfast tea without milk!

I’m sad that I’ve only the one box. :(

This tea turned a non-tea drinker friend of mine into a believer. It truly tastes like a chilly autumn morning sitting outside of a Melbourne cafe. The sweetness of the vanilla with a smoky body. I like to let mine steep for at least 3 minutes and drink with a splash of milk. Delish!

Looking for vanilla & caffeine but don’t want a sweet drink for breakfast, look no further, Melbourne Breakfast manages to smell and taste like vanilla without being overpowering or too sweet. It really is the perfect breakfast tea because you can have savoury (say Vegemite toast) or sweet (cranberry toast) or anything in between – eggs and bacon, cornflakes, everything goes with this tea. I find it’s best when left to infuse for about a minute. I don’t like anything added to it because as is makes for a satisfyingly decadent light drop.

I tried this after loving T2’s Crème Brulee – Melbourne Breakfast is far less sweet than this and therefore more suited to first thing in the morning, it’s also not as strong a black tea and is able to be infused for longer without turning bitter.

It really does feel like having a sip of Melbourne – it’s decadent, refined and perfect as is. (Perhaps I’m a little bias being from Melbourne :) ).

This was the first box of tea I purchased from T2 many many years ago. Since then I have started combining it with T2 chai for an extra special cuppa. I enjoy it as a rich morning tea with milk or in the afternoon with no milk but usually accompanied by something delicious to nibble on. Delicious!

I don’t ordinarily go for vanilla flavours, but was definitely pleasantly surprised! I am a big fan of strong black teas, and love English Breakfast, so this was a well-chosen gift for me.

The vanilla adds just an edge of sweetness, it’s certainly not dessert-like, or at all artificial.

The beaniness of the vanilla flavour means it tastes very good with soy milk, too.

i enjoy a black tea with rich flavours in it such as the melbourne breakfast tea by t2. the first aroma on brewing the tea is a delicate honey vanilla which isn’t as overpowering as the madagascan vanilla tea by t2 (striclty vanilla flavoured) . It is strong enought to start your day off with or enjoy after a long day at work. i prefer taking my tea with a hint of milk and a pinch of sugar. i found this tea to be very similar to the creme brulee tea by T2 except that it lacks the nuttiness and toffee flavouring of the creme brule. all i all a terrific tea,which i regularly stock in my kitchen.

Flavors: Honey, Vanilla

Just the faintest hint of vanilla (moreso on the nose than the tongue), an ok breakfast tea. I’m not blown away, I prefer some of the other breakfast teas far more.