MateVana

Herbal Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by LadyDanio

• “12 ounce hot spigot water in Kati http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2010/04/kati-review.html 5-7 min 5 min on http://steep.it/5%20minutes + walking back from hot water spigot 3 heaping...” Read full tasting note
    amazonv 702 tasting notes
  • “Today I'm going to use my brand spanking new gym membership for the first time, so I need a little kick to wake me up before I go. The other big project for the day is planning my itinerary for...” Read full tasting note
    shetheliving 355 tasting notes
  • “Have to be at the station this morning and have to take the kiddo back to her mother's after having a full week with her. *DOUBLE GRRRR!* Mmmm Tea roasty, chocolatey....back to work and stopping my...” Read full tasting note
    thedjbooth 360 tasting notes
  • “Backlog #3 Ok so I got a teensy bit outta control with the tea buying. but it was my first time at Teavana and I had to see what all the fuss was about! Folks here(at Steepster) love to hate and...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1329 tasting notes

From Teavana

A deliciously smooth herbal tea that is perfect for coffee lovers. It does contain caffeine, but many people have a different reaction to this stimulant since it is blended with the other natural xanthines found in Mate (theophylline and theobromine). Together they create energy without jitteriness or addictive tendencies. This tea is also a wonderful diet tea, since it curbs hunger. MateVana does contain nuts.

As seen on “The Today Show.”

How to Prepare
Use 1.5 teaspoons of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to boiling (208 degrees) and steep for 5-6 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

Ingredients:
Roasted Mate leaves, cocoa kernels, rooibos tea, chocolate chips (sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa powder), flavoring, white cocoa butter splits (sugar, cocoa butter, dextrose), almonds, cactus blossoms, sunflower petals and cornflower petals.
This tea contains nuts.

About Teavana View company

I’ve had this for awhile as part of a purchase where I was trying to see what mate was all about. Its okay, but I’m not wild about it, but that’s probably because it has a strong presence of red rooibos in it which I’ve learned is not a favorite for me. Some Teavana teas that I enjoy quite a bit are Peachberry Jasmine Sutra and Lemon Lime Kampai, which have green rooibos in the blend rather than red. As far as Mate, I love Teavana’s Raspberry Riot Lemon Mate iced, and it has no rooibos in it. Samarai Chai Mate as I recall is pretty good, but it has green rather than red rooibos in the blend. I need to try more Mate without red rooibos.

I needed something strong this morning, so I figured I’d try this. This is the first tea I’ve tasted that comes close to the feel of hot chocolate. Of course it tastes like a roasty, hickory-flavored, kind of fake milk chocolate. I like dark chocolate better. But this definitely gave me a jolt this morning, so it did its job.

Well, this isn’t the worst tea I have had. It was decent, actually. All the Teavana teas I have had have been alright, but not amazing. I definitely want to try this as a latte with chocolate syrup as the fellow suggested today, but I am on a budget now, so I had it only sweetened with the rock sugar.

Teavana was my first experience with tea and as much as I hate the “big store” mentality associated with them, overall I am pleased with most of the teas I have tried. I am transitioning from coffee drinking to tea, so this tea is still a fav for the morning!

I bought an entire pound of this at the Heavenly Sale. I just couldn’t help myself.
I need this stuff.

I was never a coffee drinker. The reason I fell in love with this tea is because it tastes like I always imagined coffee ought to taste like, and Teavana claims that it has about as much caffeine as a cup of regular coffee.

I wouldn’t know what kind of energy a cup of coffee gives you because I’ve never liked the taste of coffee enough to drink more than a sip, but I can’t face an early morning without it.

The aroma is not unlike coffee, but not spot on. It smells more like cocoa and less burnt.

The first thing that one tastes is a beautiful, roasted (some say “bran”) flavor and then a strong, undeniable, chocolate flavor. The tea is not astringent or fully as burnt tasting as coffee in the least. It’s not a very complex tea, at least to my taste buds, but it is much more satisfying than the flavor of coffee.

This stuff is amazing.

Bubbles

Ok, this is getting weird. Guess what I made this morning? LOL

fermataleaf

Seriously? XD

Bubbles

Yup. It’s one of my favorites. :)

I received some of this from Doulton in the huge box o’teas that she sent me recently – thank you so much, Doulton! You rock!

This is yummy. Chocolate-y and nutty. Earthy and sweet. Creamy without adding milk (although milk is good in this too, I prefer it without though). A really tasty mate blend.

The Purrfect Cup

If you get the chance mix this with Teavana’s Aztec Fire. It smelled/tasted like hot chocolate. Actually that was the first tea that turned me on to loose tea. One of my friends gave me a sample and well you know the rest!

This tea has really grown on me. The first time I had it after my daughter’s recommendation, (she said it was her favorite). I thought ok but not great. Now, it is one of my favorites. I love the kick it gives me in the morning. It was interesting that they list rooibos first since rooibos has no caffeine. But, wow, that mate really comes through. I’m wide awake. It has a nutty favor and the mate part has the slight chocolate flavor I always sense in mate. The taste is great and very full bodied.

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This smells really good, but the taste? Ugh. Not so much. I’d like more chocolate and less whatever the rest of it is, please.

It’s a “tea” you need to doctor up like a coffee from Starbucks. Sugar and soy milk, please!

I’ll drink the rest of the 50g I got, but definitely won’t be buying this again. For a coffee substitute I prefer other chicory based teas.

I’m not sure what I think of this one yet. You can definitely taste the Cacao. It’s got a smoky taste to it that i’m not sure I like. Smoky like a fire, not like a cigar. It says it’s like coffee but i’ve yet to find a tea that actually lives up to that promise. When you drink coffee you WANT coffee, not tea that tastes like cacao. *ok, end rant. I think it’s the rooibos in the tea that is making me rethink steeping time, i steeped for 4 minutes, and it is a bit too long as i’m getting a real earthy/clay taste to it. Will try again.

Honey

Teavana’s JavaVana mate is the most coffee-like tea I’ve ever had. I would be worried that if you decreased the steeping time to less than 4 minutes that the flavor would be watered down, but you could try adding more leaves too. Or, maybe you just don’t like that earthy taste, no matter how it brews.

Erin

I steeped it a second time, I had used a good amount of tea the first time and the second time was just as strong. Steeped it for 6 minutes this time. I think it’s the cacao that i’m not a fan of. I’m having a different mate w/ cacao this morning and it’s not working for me either :P