Christmas Cake

Almond, Ceylon Black Tea, Cinnamon, Cloves, Flavour, Natural Flavours, Orange Peel, Vanilla Pieces
Cinnamon, Cookie, Malt, Marzipan, Orange Zest, Vanilla, Astringent, Citrus, Clove, Lemon, Orange, Pine, Roasted nuts, Smooth, Sweet, Wood, Cake, Custard, Spices, Alcohol, Almond, Bitter, Tea, Creamy, Cherry, Cream
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “100% spice cake, maybe with a hint of dried fruit in there, the kind that goes with those uber-heavy Christmas cakes. It’s a bit surprising how accurate the flavoring is, down to the breadiness of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, I’m still alive. I was so sick over Christmas, with proper fully-signed-up flu. I had 10 days off work, which I’d been looking forward to all year, and I spent most of them either in bed or...” Read full tasting note
  • “Merry Christmas Steepsterers, to those who celebrate. There are many Steepsterers who haven’t posted in years… I hope they are all doing well. So many of the OGs aren’t around anymore. And of...” Read full tasting note
  • “sample from VariaTEA. it ended up getting a little cold for most of me drinking it – i can’t even explain the stupidity that i’m surrounded with at work. it’s painful how bad it’s gotten recently....” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Our fave Christmas brew is back, combining our three favourite things: tea, cake and Christmas!

Holding its own for the title of best Christmas tea of all time, this blend tastes like cake, contains real life actual Christmas tree (spruce needles!) and, as if that wasn’t enough, it has little candy snowflakes. Still not impressed? Well brew it up and watch it glitter like icicles!

Ingredients: Sri Lankan black tea (63%), cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, pine needles, almond pieces, vanilla pieces, natural flavouring.

To brew the perfect cup: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup, 100° C water, 4 mins, with or without milk.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

100% spice cake, maybe with a hint of dried fruit in there, the kind that goes with those uber-heavy Christmas cakes. It’s a bit surprising how accurate the flavoring is, down to the breadiness of the taste (although missing in the mouthfeel). While spice cake has always been something I’ve kinda avoided, this does remind me of a spiced ginger cake my Mom would whip up at Christmas, saying it was a Dutch delicacy that we had to try. Yep, it’s pretty bang-on for that.

Thank you KittyLovesTea for this perfect 2-cup sample!

JustJames

i am one of those whackos that loves xmas cake….. this is going MY list!!!!

MissB

Oh, I’ll send you the cup or so I have left! It’s already off their website, sadly, until next year (maybe?)

JustJames

how do i consistently set myself up for this? no no, you gave this 100. you finish it. enjoy. you are just as sleep deprived as i am. it’s a lovely thought though.

MissB

I gave it 100? No, I gave it a 79. It’s easy enough to put it in an envelope for next time – and you know as well as I do, I have too much tea! :P

JustJames

oh…. i really need sleep. i saw the 100% fruit cake. geez…..

Anna

…you mean spice cake. JJ, GET SOME SLEEP!

Suziqzer

It’s alright JJ.. I saw fruitcake too (& I’m not a fan). I think maybe because she said spice cake with a hint of fruit… My mind turned that to fruitcake. :)

Well, I’m still alive. I was so sick over Christmas, with proper fully-signed-up flu. I had 10 days off work, which I’d been looking forward to all year, and I spent most of them either in bed or staggering around the house like a zombie looking for tissues and more medicine. I think I only drank one “proper” tea – this, which I took with me in my timolino on the one day I did feel well enough to venture out. It was a very sorry state of affairs. Now I’m back at work (of course I’d be well enough in time, because that’s how it works), not feeling very rested, but at least I can make up for some lost time in tea terms.

I started the morning with another cup of this one. My pouch is actually from the year before last (2014), but it hadn’t been opened before December this year so it was still fine. I’m really enjoying this one as a Christmas Cake tea. It’s got strong dried fruit flavours, a touch of nutmeg spiciness, and a good dose of vanilla to sweeten things up and add a deliciously creamy overtone. I adore the snowflake sprinkles even though they stick fast to the bottom of my infuser, and the glitter adds a little festive sparkle too. The pine needles are an inspired touch – this really is the best of Christmas in a cup. All the better for those of us who feel like they didn’t really have a Christmas this year, I guess! Maybe next year.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
teaqueen

I’m glad you’re feeling better. The flu is the worst and its timing is always impeccable… for messing up fun plans.

Christina / BooksandTea

That sounds awful. I’m glad that you’re on the mend. (Impeccable timing regarding your holiday, huh?)

tigress_al

Glad you are feeling better!

__Morgana__

Glad you’re better!

Merry Christmas Steepsterers, to those who celebrate. There are many Steepsterers who haven’t posted in years… I hope they are all doing well. So many of the OGs aren’t around anymore. And of course, hope all of you sticking around Steepster are doing well!

Drinking this one today, it seems extra special Christmas cakey today and I even waited 20 minutes before steeping which had to be a first. It tastes much more like CAKE than usual. I think I’m on to something here…

Kawaii433

That one sounds really good. :D

Nattie

Merry Christmas! I’ve been checking up on some of the OG Steepsterers lately too, I can’t unfollow in case they come back… I had a year or so break myself, so I’m hoping.

Nattie

Also, I’m gonna try this at a lower temperature and see if I like it more that way. Thanks for the tip!

sample from VariaTEA. it ended up getting a little cold for most of me drinking it – i can’t even explain the stupidity that i’m surrounded with at work. it’s painful how bad it’s gotten recently. It’s probably a good thing i’m going on Mat leave or i’m sure i’d be getting in to trouble at some point over the year with my inability to suffer through it anymore lol

This one surprised me – i’m not sure what i was expecting but i think something a little more clove-y and christmas spice y? Instead it was a really nice cup of cinnamon, orange, vanilla spice tea without being your traditional “french christmas tea, that i’m soooo very over” I don’t need to stock this in my cupboard but i wouldn’t pass up another cup of this in future.

The scent of the bag is very mild.

Oh wow! It’s like fruitcake but good! :)

This has cinnamon and orange in it, but it’s not that cinnamon-orange combo. I can taste a lot of spices, nicely balanced, including vanilla, marzipan, cookie, and malt. I’m sure there are others, but it’s a well-attended party of spices in there. I’m glad to be invited.

It’s not overpowering, just the right balance.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cookie, Malt, Marzipan, Orange Zest, Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Mastress Alita

I loved the sample I had of this one! Wish B&B didn’t make it so ridiculously hard to get more of this year. Maybe next year they won’t make people have to perform a seance just to get this one holiday tea. * shifty eyes *

Holiday Tea-son! This was my Bird & Blend advent calendar tea today, and I’m glad I put this one off, since I had a small amount that I got from a cupboard sale of tea-sipper’s last January, and I planned to finally try it this month (I know, I am the worst of the worst when it comes to tea hoarding!) I can’t remember if I actually got this tea from the cupboard sale or if it was a sampler tea-sipper included because she is awesome, but thank you tea-sipper! So I just cut open my sachet from the advent calendar and put the leaf with what I already had, so I could make a nice pot this morning with my breakfast.

The dry leaf probably has been the most enticing to me yet, with a very nice clove scent, and this underlying fresh aroma of orange citrus and pine. The steeped tea smells even more decadent, as all the little sugar snowflakes have melted and it has a scent and nutty aroma mixed with the spice and citrus. I’m looking forward to this one!

It is no secret I brew my blacks on the more mild side, and this has come out very mild and smooth as far as the base is concerned; the flavor is very citrus-forward, with orange notes and even just a hint of lemon playing on my tongue, and a very mild astringency left after the sip. The pine is a very subtle background note and blends well with the citrus, so it doesn’t come off as tasting like cleaner. There is a lot of spice present in the sip, but it is a gentle, sweet, warming spice; it does leave an aftertaste on the tongue, but it is not a heated, burning, or unpleasant sensation. I can make out both a sweet cinnamon flavor, but the clove is a more dominant flavor note, and pairs nicely with the orange. As much as I could smell a nutty aroma, and I’ve tasted that sweet marzipan-like flavor in many of B&B’s teas this month, I’m actually not getting that in the flavor here; there is a very subtle nuttiness to the taste, which is more roasty/woody than sweet, while the sweetness is more of dash of vanilla that, when paired with the strong orange citrus, comes out as a subtle creamsicle flavor.

This has probably been my favorite black tea featured so far (with Great British Cuppa and Mrs. Claus’ Raspberry Prosecco being my runner’s up).

Flavors: Astringent, Cinnamon, Citrus, Clove, Lemon, Orange, Pine, Roasted nuts, Smooth, Sweet, Vanilla, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
tea-sipper

Glad you like it! The marzipan flavoring is mostly only noticeable when this one is super fresh.

Eggnog Latte Sipdown (289)

This tea is an interesting spice cake flavor. I wish I waited a little longer to try it because I am getting that spice flavor cutting through the eggnog and I think if my tastebuds were 100% back to normal, I would really enjoy it. At the same time, there is something more than spice cutting through. Something sweet and fruity. I just can’t put my finger on it. I also think I can get some of the pine which is an interesting ingredient that works here.

Cameron B.

I really like this one, unfortunately they didn’t bring it back this year. QQ

VariaTEA

:( I had a small tin of it but the tin was literally 4 scoops.

Thanks for the pouch of this Tea-Sipper! Also This is a Sip down.
First tea I’ve ever had from Bluebird which was definitely exciting!

Prep: So I realized finally that the best way to get the right amount of leaf for this is to use a perfect spoon(I use the Teavana one) because it seems smaller than Davids Tea’s which I use for iced teas. I steeped it for about 4-5 minutes and used boiling water.

Taste wise this tea has a Very rich creaminess to it which dominates the entire cup. It reminds me a lot of homemade whipped cream. There are some subtle warm Christmas spices like clove and sweet cinnamon. The pine needles don’t come through flavor wise at all which was disappointing. This tea definitely nails the dessert aspect perfectly but doesn’t scream Christmas to me. When I think of Christmas teas I think of bold flavors and or spice. I think this tea would be more fitting for Christmas if it had some stronger notes of orange, candied ginger or even some amaretto perhaps. I still think this tea is amazing but wish it had more pops of flavor that come through. The re steeped cup has a strong sweet and spicy cinnamon flavor very similar to Trader Joe’s Winter Wake Up tea. I would happily invite it into my cupboard again.

Flavors: Cake, Cinnamon, Custard, Spices, Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Sipdown (411)!

More tea mail today; some of it was just single serving freebie sachet samples of Bluebird’s winter collection though so I’m working on finishing those off tonight to help bring my cupboard down a little. I was a little frustrated when I opened this one up; the side of the sachet was split open so I had to transfer it into another sachet to steep it…

This tastes pretty good though; it’s a wee bit astringent but nothing I can’t handle.

I’m getting some major pudding/custard vibes though: probably from the vanilla in the blend. It’s kind of giving me a bit of flavour Deja Vu though; can’t quite put my finger right on it though. The hints of cinnamon and clove are very nice though; definitely adds a bit of that festive touch. The orange undertones don’t hurt either, in that regard. I’m intrigued by the supposed spruce needles in the blend, though I don’t taste them at all. I don’t taste the almond either, for that matter. Both of those statements are disappointing facts…

Overall this isn’t bad – I think I get more of a custardy bread pudding flavour out of it overall though, rather than “Christmas Cake” – which I imagine is supposed to be like a spice cake/fruit cake sort of cross. Not something I’d spend my own money on, though.

Evol Ving Ness

Curious. Are the samples free? Do you have to pay for shipping? Or will they send samples without an order alongside?

Roswell Strange

The samples came free with an order I’d placed, but they were just bonuses – not anything I had picked out/expected to receive.

Evol Ving Ness

Thanks, Ms. Strange.

VariaTEA

Now I am shopping Bluebird Tea Co. Something tells me this BF/CM won’t be wallet friendly :P

Here’s Hoping TTB

Ooo, I like this one! Like the last Bluebird tea I sampled, this one has a beautiful dry leaf with cute little sprinkles…but this one brews up GLITTERY! A total gimmick, but still fun. And the flavor was surprisingly complex: vanilla, spice cake (I actually got a cake flavor, not just spices), and orange peel predominating.

Flavors: Cake, Orange, Spices, Vanilla