The first tea to try from my Harney & Sons order! :D They had a few different sencha teas, I had to get this one because of the name. I know, that’s not really a good selection method, but too bad! :D The leaves look similar to the other senchas I’ve tried – very thin, dark green leaves about three-quarters of an inch long at most. This tea has a powerful smell! It has the same strong sweet and grassy/vegetal scent, but for some reason it conjures up images of mango for me. I brewed it for 1 minute.

The aroma is very sencha-y – steamed spinach and grass with some butternut squash. My boyfriend claimed it reminded him of some form of meat stew (what?). This tea tastes quite similar to Den’s Sencha Shin-ryoku that I tried a few days ago. On Harney’s website, it says that this is a medium-steamed sencha. The taste is sweet, strong steamed spinach melded with squash and a slight grassiness. The flavor here is quite deep. It has a buttery spinach aftertaste that lingers for a long time, and is my favorite part of this tea. Quite tasty. And hooray, Steepster added “butternut squash” to the flavor list after I emailed them! :)

Flavors: Butter, Butternut Squash, Grass, Spinach, Sweet

Currently trying to move out of the flavored tea phase and into those tasty straight teas!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Blueberry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Mariage Frères
Mellow Monk

Not A Fan
Green Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root