drank Kabuse Sencha - Obubu by Tealet

I had this tea both yesterday morning and today using slightly different steeping parameters.

Both times, I stuck to Western steeping style (1 tsp per 8 oz) instead of using more traditional Japanese measurements. The difference was that I steeped things for 2 minutes yesterday and for 3 minutes today. The 3-minute steep is slightly stronger, but this is still quite a light-tasting tea.

This tea is a bit astringent with a slightly grassy aftertaste, but otherwise it’s quite light on the tongue when I drink it. I taste some bitterness, but not much of that marine, umami flavour that I’ve learned to associate with other senchas. I’m glad I got the chance to try this.

Updated February 2014:

I’m a writer and editor who’s fallen for loose-leaf tea hard. Within a year of joining Steepster, I’ve spent at least $500 on tea, and gotten a whole bunch in swaps! At this point I’ve got a better handle on what I like and dislike, but I’m sure that there will always be more to discover.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger, Ceylons, Chinese blacks.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: pu’er teas.

I rarely score teas anymore, but if I do, here’s the system I follow:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada