Caramel Apple

Oolong Tea
Apple, Caramel, Honey, Pear, Roasted nuts, Floral, Sweat, Burnt Sugar, Roasted, Sweet, Red Apple
Edit tea info Last updated by Courtney

From Butiki Teas

It’s a tea that Stacy is working on!

Our Caramel Apple pairs our Gui Fei Oolong with caramel and apple flavors. Sweet caramel and roasted nut notes are immediately noticed. Apple and honey notes appear and remain throughout the sip. The Gui Fei is rather present and compliments the caramel and apple flavors, creating a flavor that resembles a baked apple with a caramel coating and topped with roasted nuts.

Ingredients: Gui Fei Oolong, Organic Dried Fuji Red Apple Pieces, Safflower, Organic Natural Flavors (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 level teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 180 F

About Butiki Teas View company

1991 tasting notes

Sipdown (119)!

The super awesome Courtney recently sent me/sold me a few different teas, including a one cup sample of this one which was awesome because I’ve been dying to try it and this is the perfect way to sample it without committing to a large amount!

Since I had a cleaning shift on Monday, I started work really late – so I had time in the early afternoon to sit down and sort of properly enjoy some new teas; including this one. I wish I’d’ve paid more attention to the dry smell; usually Butiki teas have really captivating dry smells.

Steeped, this was mind altering like expected though; the caramel was the thing I noticed first: it was very smooth and rich with lots of buttery notes to it. Then that was immediately preceded by an almost “dewy” sort of apple and ripe pear hybrid fruit flavour combination. The apple came off as very distinctly “Fuji Apples” to me as well, and I was delighted when I looked the ingredients up and saw that I was correct in identifying the apple type. Go tastebuds! There were also honey notes and just a teeny pinch of floral notes way deep down under the caramel/apple. I haven’t tried the base oolong on its own, but I think I’d be interested to.

One thing to note; I really struggled to get any sort of roasted nut flavour from this. I mean, there were moment when I was envisioning a “baked” caramel apple type dessert more clearly, but nothing “nutty”. Still, a very very awesome tea and one I’m sure will probably find its way into future orders.

I like it!! No rating today because I seem to have burst a capillary on my gums and yeah that doesn’t mix well with oolong… (sorry for the TMI)
Anyhow, from what I can tell this is a pretty awesome tea Caramel Apple Oolong.
Hot, it seriously tastes like a baked good. All gooey and sweet. Cold, I get more caramel and apple with a definite oolong undertone. I don’t think I’ve tried the base on it’s own so I can’t say for sure how the variety affects the flavour, sadly.
I can’t wait to try this again soon.

Fjellrev

Oh geez, I hope that’ll heal up really soon! I have never experienced anything like that before.

Indigobloom

Fjellrev – it isn’t so bad. I brushed my teeth too hard I think and all the mildish food I ate tasted a bit metallic. It’s almost better today!

Fjellrev

Ouch! Well glad to hear it’s almost better.

Indigobloom

Thanks :)
It doesn’t hurt so much as it gives me the creeps haha

Oh, this is so yummy! I love caramel apples especially during this time of the year and this tea really captures one in a cup! There is a really nice balance between the caramel flavor, apple and the oolong. Everything tastes so fresh, too.

I love that the oolong adds to the buttery caramel flavor, but it also gives off the slightest floral note. The caramel is not at all artificial tasting and remains sweet, rich and creamy. As for the apple.. it really shines towards the end with just a hint of tart skin. The caramel, apple and oolong seem made for each other and they just work so well in this blend. What is most impressive is the flavor isn’t covered up by the oolong. You really do taste all of the elements of this blend with each sip.

I think this is definitely going to be on my repurchase list. I have a feeling that it would become one of those teas that I would need to be in the mood for, but it certainly is satisfying.

Stephanie

It’s perfect, this tea!

I must be the only person who can’t taste any apple or caramel in this tea. I tried using a smaller amount, and while it was tasty, I got predominantly gui fei oolong and not much else.

I do smell it, but I just can’t taste it for some reason. Sad.

I love this tea! THIS is going to be my Autumn tea this year. Sorry Almond Indulgence. lol. The apple and pear notes are so vibrant. The caramel is a bit more in the background, but I like it that way. The Gui Fei Oolong seems to be a perfect choice for the base. It’s roasty, but not so much to drown out the other flavors. I feel like I’ve had this oolong before, but I can’t find it listed in my records. I’ll have to get some with my next order. I might have avoided it because of the leaf-hoppers. I’ve had a couple of leaf hopper teas from Butiki and I didn’t like them, but maybe I gave up on them too soon.

Anyway, in case I didn’t make it clear at the beginning. I LOVE this tea. Im going to have to buy lots of extra to share it with everyone I know.

Flavors: Apple, Caramel, Honey, Pear, Roasted nuts

Terri HarpLady

I was loitering on the Butiki site last night, & this is definitely one of the teas I have in mind for my next order. Glad to hear you like it!

Butiki Teas

We highly encourage loitering. :D

Tea Sipper

Darn, should have sampled this with my order!

So disappointed. I brewed some up this up yesterday and drank it (review to follow), and when I came home and went to resteep, my infuser was infested with fruit flies :( :( We have a bit of a fruit fly problem at the house right now, and I forgot that since there were fruit chunks in this blend, I needed to put the infuser elsewhere (fridge, cupboard) if I wanted a re-steep… so I had to dump it. The thought of potentially boiling fruit fly larva made me gag. Luckily, I have a bag of this, so I’ll get another shot – gui fei has a lot of life in it, so I know that this should last at least a solid three infusions.

Anyhow, the review. I did try this just in a travel mug – I was desperate for a new flavour, and I still haven’t unpacked all my teas/found them since moving back in May (yes, Raritea, they’re still in the drawers of the dresser you packed for me, haha), so I decided to give this a shot. Don’t regret my decision, although I probably missed out on some flavour nuances – although I caught a hint of apple, I tasted primarily Gui Fei Oolong, and no real caramel to speak of. Of course, since I like the base, I did enjoy the tea, but I was definitely hoping for a bit more caramel apple. I wonder if this tea would work a bit better if the base was only half gui fei, and the rest maybe even PTA? Or perhaps something less dominating.

Either way, no numerical review at this point since travel mugs do not allow a fair assessment of the tea. Looking forward to the next brew of it though, and trying to coax out some more flavour!

Another Butiki sample from the awesome Courtney!

This, unfortunately, is another one of those teas that I just don’t “get”.

I found the predominant flavour to be the roasty Gui Fei Oolong, which I did enjoy but may not repurchase. I’m not sure how much I enjoy the super roasty oolongs.

I’m not really noticing any strong apple or caramel notes. Just a faint hint. I hate when that happens, based on the other reviews I feel like there’s something wrong with my tongue.

Ah well.

More for everyone else!

Thanks again, Courtney!

This smells so good. There’s the caramel, apple, and the floral from the oolong. It makes for a nice, sweet tea to drink while watching Doctor Who

Thanks, Stephanie.

Flavors: Apple, Caramel, Floral, Sweat

The aroma is so deliciously intoxicating! And the taste.. mm mmm a sweet, roasted, apple caramel goodness. This really is like Autumn in a cup

Flavors: Apple, Burnt Sugar, Roasted, Sweet

I am so glad I got some of this tea in my friends birthday order! She doesn’t like caramel, so that means it’s all mine… MINE! :)

Delicious fresh apple plus baked apple. Really subtle caramel sweetness (that I’m sure would come out even more with a touch of sugar).

This is soooo good! I think I can get a bunch of steeps out of the tea, as well. I was surprised when I saw it was a fairly tightly rolled oolong, but now I’m excited because I get even more tea out of my tea. Or something.

Yay!

(Also I made some different tea popsicles. I found a recipe that suggested making a custard with some corn starch and milk and sugar and tea, so I did. Look for notes on that later!)

(1.5 tsp, 10 oz cup)

Flavors: Apple, Caramel, Roasted

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 30 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
sundaysipping

Baking with tea is awesome! I made sugar cookies last year with butter I’d steeped tea in — so much fun!

OMGsrsly

The chocolate cake I make uses Earl Grey tea. I love it! I just got the popsicle mold from DavidsTea, so I’m trying to justify the purchase by using it with tea. Texture might be hard to get right, because I don’t want to overload with sugar. I’m going to try a gelatin-based popsicle next, but with less sugar than the Jello ones I would make as a kid!

OMGsrsly

So I just ordered some beef gelatin online and may have accidentally added a couple teas and some almond butter to my cart. “Oops!” ;)

(iHerb has H&S teas 20% off right now, although they don’t carry everything. $4 shipping to Canada if it’s under 4 lbs, and tea is duty free!)

Amariel

Oh I can’t wait for my order with Indigobloom to come in!

OMGsrsly

:) So good. I still have a few to try before they’re gifted (so nice that the giftee doesn’t mind me sneaking bits!), but most of my order was for my friend!

TeaBrat

very tempted to buy this one!

OMGsrsly

Do it! I really like the oolong. It’s not quite green, not quite roasty. Nicely in the middle, and has a lovely appley note on its own in later steepings. :) I think I did 4 steepings yesterday? I even switched over to a 14 oz mug and it was still delicious.