Sleepytime Vanilla

Blackberry Leaves, Chamomile, Lemongrass, Rose Buds, Spearmint, Vanilla
Fruit Tree Flowers, Sweet, Vanilla, Flowers
Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “My last pot of the evening...so glad that my conference is in town this week!! It means I get to sleep in a smidge, and that I didn't have to abandon Chloe (what, has nobody else named their...” Read full tasting note
    Madmama 902 tasting notes
  • “I am comparing Sleepytime Vanilla tonight with a fresh box of Honey Vanilla Chamomile. My verdict is that Sleepytime Vanilla is a more appealing chamomile blend. This is an interesting result...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 1382 tasting notes
  • “From http://www.itsallabouttheleaf.com/2378/tea-review-celestial-seasonings-sleepytime-vanilla-3/ - It's all About the Leaf - go read more reviews! I have a confession. I consider myself an...” Read full tasting note
    wombatgirl 411 tasting notes
  • “Herbal tisane of the evening here, taking care of myself big time includes plenty of rest and relaxation! You know, I think I like the regular Sleepytime better than this, the vanilla doesn't do...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2585 tasting notes

From Celestial Seasonings

“Vanilla lovers, rejoice! We’ve added the creamy, nutty flavor of rich vanilla to Sleepytime’s beloved blend of floral chamomile, cool spearmint and lively lemongrass. With its comforting aroma and perfectly balanced flavor, Sleepytime Vanilla is an exquisitely soothing new way for you to wind down your day.”
— Charlie Baden, Celestial Seasonings Blendmaster Since 1975

Ingredients:
Chamomile, spearmint, west indian lemongrass, natural french vanilla flavor, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn and rosebuds.

About Celestial Seasonings View company

MissB is a star! I have been equipped with no less than four boxes of this one AND a myriad of other samples. I counted them. There were nineteen different teas in the box. Nineteen! Many of them are herbals, so I’ve got a lot of choice in my Before Bed Beverage now. (As has Husband, of course. I’m not that selfish) Some of them are from companies I don’t think I’ve ever even heard of before. How exciting!

So, yes, this is intended as a Before Bed Beverage, but as I’m writing this it’s only actually mid afternoon. I just couldn’t wait. I have high hopes of this one. I’ve come to be quite fond of the normal Sleepytime before bed, so in my mind adding vanilla to that couldn’t possibly go wrong. The worst that could happen, that I can think of anyway, is that I can’t actually find the vanilla in it at all, leaving me with something that tastes much like regular Sleepytime and then… what have I lost, really? Not much, the way I see it.

Well, I can detect the vanilla in the aroma, definitely. It’s rather peculiar, because it depends on how close I put my nose to the cup. I do have a bit of a cold, but my nose isn’t completely incapacitated at this stage (and I hope it stays that way!), so I can still smell things. If I put my nose close to the cup, I can pretty much only smell mint. If, however, I’m sitting normally upright with the cup in front of me letting the steam waft up past my face, it’s all sweet and vanilla-y. It’s almost as if the mint is a heavier scent and doesn’t make it all the way up to my face. I’ve never noticed this happening before. Isn’t that odd?

I tend to like steeping Sleepytime for a pretty long time so I’ve done that with this as well. It must have got at least six or seven minutes I think. Now that it’s stronger I can also smell the vanilla among the mint when putting my nose closer to the cup. It smells wonderful!

I’ve tried a few sips, but I can’t really taste anything. Still too hot. I’ll have to be more patient, I suppose… Ah yes, that’s better.

It still tastes like Sleepytime. I’m not sure I would have been able to tell that it’s a different variety had I not known, but as I do know, I can find the vanilla. I can find it because I know it’s there but that doesn’t mean that it’s not done properly, if you know what I mean. Sometimes you don’t need to be able to taste everything. Sometimes just a hint is enough to enhance an overall experience. Just think of a sauce which has just a pinch of salt versus the same sauce with too much salt in it. The pinch of salt enhances the flavour of the whole, but too much of it just takes over. I tend to like heavily flavoured vanilla teas, but in this particular blend I think the vanilla works much better as that enhancer. It smooths the whole thing out and adds a touch of sweetness.

I’m really glad I decided to ask for someone to play middle-man so I could have some. I don’t usually like doing that because it seems such a lot of bother for everybody involved. I shall have to put together a really great box to send back to MissB after we’ve moved now.

when are you moving?

She already moved.

She has a queue.

Anna

(Yes, Ang. I am your secretary now.)

i know she has a queue..i’m just used to see her prenotes when it’s from the backlog lol

Anna

TIME WARP. This might not be backlog, though, and that last sentence really reads, ‘…a really great box to send now after we’ve moved.’

haha

ANG WE NEED YOU TO EKSPLAYNE

I think you need to come visit me Anna. I think we would have fun together being weird. Except that my hair might get jealous and try to take yours out.

Anna

I agree. Imagine how awesomely we could stalk Ang if we teamed up on the same continent!!!

And I’m sure our hair would probably just merge. For world domination.

oh man. I’m coming your way… we can stalk ang, and hit fru p on the way!

Angrboda

…gosh. O.O hides

Yes, Sil, this is from the queue and from before we moved. I try to remember to write ‘from the queue’ on them, but I’m not very good at that. I don’t know why I don’t just start with that sentence when I write the post in the first place. 99% or what I post are from the queue, so you can generally assume that it’s a couple months old.

Also, you two are scary. Seriously. Scary. (But I’d still feed you and rustle up something you could sleep on if you showed up)

SIL DID YOU SEE DID YOU SHE WOULD FEED US FOODS AND BUILD US A NEST DID YOU SEE

Would she also hug us and call us George? ;)

Angrboda

I would, Geor-I mean Sil.

Would it be totally pretentious to say I never drink bagged teas anymore?
Yes, yes it would….
Sleepytime is a tea I can remember my Mom making for me when I was little.
I was actually really excited to find out there were other flavors.
So I had to pick up the vanilla.

How does it compare?
I think I like it better than the original!
It’s soft and gentle, yet flavorful. It really does taste like sleepytime with added vanilla.
Wow, that was descriptive…
It seems like they really toned down the spearmint and lemongrass. So the taste is mostly chamomile and vanilla, with the others as a backdrop.
It’s nice, the flavors are harmonious, it’s really drinkable.
Actually, It’s pretty delicious….

Vanilla taste is subtle, but still tastey and perfect before bed.

This is a perfect ending to a long day of class, meetings, and homework. It has a nice vanilla flavor that isn’t too overpowering, as well as a sweet aroma. I can pick up the notes of chamomile as well as the spearmint along with the vanilla flavor. It puts me in the perfect sleepytime mood!

It was a very calming tea, something I wasn’t expecting from something with spearmint (I only enjoy spearmint chewing gum). Within a few minutes I was relaxed and truly focused on what I was working on at the time. I would love to drink some at this moment, but I’m all out of it. :(

I loathe the original Sleepytime, I think because of the chamomile. There’s chamomile here too, natch, but much like the proverbial spoonful of sugar, the vanilla in this one helps the medicine go down. I keep a box of this in my cupboard at all times, to be consumed whenever the insomnia beast rears its ugly head. Works for me.

I can’t taste too much of the vanilla in this tea, though it is quite calming. It has a very distinct spearmint smell and taste (unsurprising, considering the ingredients). Would purchase again.

At first slightly apprehensive about this tea, as I feared it would be rather bland tasting on its own without any added sweetness. However, the combination of chamomile with the ever so enjoyed flavour of vanilla is suitable for nighttime indeed!

i love this shit.

It was great hot but when cold its affect wore off . the bag it self was bad because it had no string so you had to reach in and get it

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more