Cheeky Lychee

Black Fruit Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “One of my other recent lychee tea acquisitions. This one I bought myself a few weekends ago when I stopped by the DavidsTea store in the city. I have been interested in trying this one for a while...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1931 tasting notes
  • “I pronounce it "lee-chee", how do you pronounce it? :D Yum! I've been waiting to try a Lychee flavoured black, and this one is just what I was hoping for. It's one of my favorite crazy fruits,...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “Cold brew of the day! This was a sample from *Kittenna* that I was excited to try, since I've had lychee candy and fruit but never tea, and I heard that it was quite floral. I love floral teas....” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *DaisyChubb* for sending me some of this tea. This is really a remarkable lychee flavored black. I enjoy many lychee flavored black teas, but I do think this one is (deservedly so)...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4359 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Fit for a king
Lychees are just about the cutest little fruits around. But their perfumed flavour is all sophistication. After all, they’ve been the favourite snack of Chinese emperors since the 1st century. This lychee-scented black tea is made by placing baskets of tea leaves over big pots of simmering lychee fruits. Now getting the royal treatment is as easy as steeping a cup.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

1931 tasting notes

One of my other recent lychee tea acquisitions. This one I bought myself a few weekends ago when I stopped by the DavidsTea store in the city. I have been interested in trying this one for a while but keep just missing it during swaps and such, so I bought a half ounce to try.

The dry leaf on this tea is potent and smells of a fairly flowery lychee, somewhere between a fresh fruit and lychee candy. I love both, so that’s fine with me. Steeped up, the liquor smells really nice, but the flavor isn’t as strong. Also the base tea is somewhat boring and doesn’t contribute much in my opinion. I will definitely try this one again with more leaf to see if I can boost the flavor, but there are a lot of lychee teas out there and this one doesn’t really compare flavor-wise.

Nik

But I love the name! =)

I pronounce it “lee-chee”, how do you pronounce it? :D

Yum! I’ve been waiting to try a Lychee flavoured black, and this one is just what I was hoping for. It’s one of my favorite crazy fruits, and I love it’s flavour in anything and everything.

This one doesn’t disappoint! The dry smell is a little misleading, it smells a bit faint and almost musty, but the liquid flavour is .. mm! Juicy! No musty taste that’s for sure.

It’s not terribly strong on flavour, but an increase in leaves can change that.

I think that if I had a choice, I would buy a cheaper Lychee black elsewhere if I could (I think harney’s might be cheaper? But then I have to factor in shipping price..) so I dunno! That’s just me. Enjoy!

Mercuryhime

I pronounce it lie-chee cause that’s how you say it in Cantonese. I’m not sure of how most people say it in English. I love lychees!

DaisyChubb

It’s a Cantonese/Mandarin type translation – both are slightly different and equally correct! And equally… delicious? (Similar to Bai mu dan/pai mu tan) (maybe I’m just making things up now lol)

Mercuryhime

Spelling out Chinese words with the English alphabet is always confusing for so many reasons. As long as we all understand each other, I’m happy. :)

Yay! haha agreed!
My ex boyfriend is Cantonese, he was probably better at English than I am!

Angrboda

In danish they are spelled ‘litchi’ and we prounounce i’s like you do ee’s, so I more or less say it the same way as you. :)

Amariel

I say lie-chee

Cold brew of the day!

This was a sample from Kittenna that I was excited to try, since I’ve had lychee candy and fruit but never tea, and I heard that it was quite floral. I love floral teas. Looove them, even if they taste kind of like perfume. I guess I’m just weird like that! This steeped longer than usual because I put it in the fridge too early last night and woke up later than expected, so it got about 16 hours. Well, it still turned out well!

It’s so sweet and fruity, kind of like drinking fruit juice. Refreshing for sure! The floral element is nice and strong, similar to rose but more subtle. It’s balanced well with the fruit, so it’s not too fruity or too floral (and now I feel like Goldilocks). I’ve been cold brewing so many greens and whites that I kind of forgot what iced blacks taste like: it’s a more traditional iced tea for sure, reminiscent of the sun tea my mom used to make as a kit. And cold it’s fantastic, probably better than it would be hot. I have enough left for another big cup, so I might try hot-brewing it… but it’s so good this way I just want to make more iced!

Kittenna

Seriously, you were so awesome for me to swap with since I had such a backlog of nasty floral teas to offload! I am going to keep you in mind the next time I have a horde of them to get rid of, since they seem to be going quite well for you!

Alphakitty

I’ve definitely been enjoying all the floral blends you sent me! It’s always nice to send tea to a person you know will appreciate them more than you. Which reminds me, I have a few I need to put up for swapping because I know I will never get around to finishing them… I just feel bad taking them out of their tea-home!

Thank you DaisyChubb for sending me some of this tea.

This is really a remarkable lychee flavored black. I enjoy many lychee flavored black teas, but I do think this one is (deservedly so) the best one I’ve tried. The lychee isn’t overly aggressive or perfume-ish, instead, it is a sweet, delicious fruit note that doesn’t overpower the black tea. The black tea is the strongest note here, and that is how it should be.

Really good.

Thanks Daisy Chubb!

Not sure how many of you remember my story about the first time I tasted a Lychee so here it is again…I peeled it open and sucked out the juice and it smelled and tasted like PAINT THINNER…wtf? Anyhow…this was my first experience and let’s just say I didn’t try one again for a good-long-time!

Anyhow…

As for this tea…it doesn’t smell or taste like PAINT THINNER…thank the tea gods! It actually doesn’t have much of an aroma considering the flavoring…it’s pretty subtle.

As for the taste it’s OK…again not overly flavored but I think that seems to work with this ok.

I don’t hate it but I don’t love it. It is better than some lychee flavored teas but I can think of about 2 or 3 others I have liked better.

I am glad I got to try this one tho! Thanks again DC!

Tamm

Thanks for the review! I am always searching for lyrchee flavored things. It’s a guilty pleasure of mine!

It turns out the new HR manager at work has a daughter who works for DAVIDs. When I first met her, in the staff room, I had no idea who she was, what she did or anything at all. She caught me looking at a box a bagged tea in the cupboard and she started a conversation with me based on that. Next thing I know we’re in there talking about tea for 30 minutes. She ends the conversation by saying “anyway, I have more tea than I can drink, I’ll have to bring it in”. True to her word, this morning there are several bags of DT in there, some of then unopened.

This here is one of the teas. Not overly flavourful or aromatic but one could tell that there is, indeed, lychee in the tea. I wonder what this would be cold steeped. Maybe it would surprise in the flavour department, just like the Blueberry Jam did?!?

1.5 tsp, near boiling water (no thermometer at work), 3 minutes. I put a hefty amount of sugar in there to bring out some flavour and now I have some really sweet lightly flavoured black tea. The base is not too strong, not astringent at all but not much of anything going on.

Maybe I’ll pinch a teaspoon worth and cold steep at home in a tiny jar.

JustJames

i’m about to try ‘imperial lychee’ by tealish, not sure how it will be either. awesome that you have a real life tea buddy!

FYI everyone, I’m taking a brief Steepster hiatus as of now, because I have a ton of work to get done and I’m spending too much time on here (because I love it!) I’ll be logging teas (but after this morning, hopefully not trying new ones), but not responding to comments/messages, etc. Just so nobody thinks I’m ignoring them! I hope to be responsive again on the weekend.

Anyhow! Thought I’d finish up the last black tea from DavidsTea that was sitting in my cupboard untried. I like lychee as a flavour, and have eaten the fruit, although sometimes I find it a bit perfumey. One of my friends really adores some lychee flavoured alcoholic beverage of some sort, which I tried and thought was ok (except I dislike alcohol!)

The dry tea is strongly perfumed with lychee, although thankfully once steeped it’s a bit more muted.

I can’t really taste too much lychee… ok, there it is in the end of the sip. Not bad. The tea tastes rather weak though, in spite of using a generous 1.5 tsp for my mug. The black tea base is noticeable, but would be much better if stronger. I did go with the low end of steeping time to be cautious, due to all my recent black tea woes, but I think that was a mis-step this time. I’ll have to try it again with a longer infusion time.

So, not bad, but too weak for me. Even if brewed stronger, this one will not make the favourites list though.

ETA: Did not make a second cup. It was too perfumey, and I was getting jasmine aromas as well, and my stomach just didn’t want that. I think this will be going into the giveaway pile.

This was much better than the disaster that was Cherry Cola. This is nothing fancy, but it a nice floral, lychee scented black tea. The base tea does come through, but not in an unpleasant way. The lychee blends with the base tea to make for a very pleasant classic black tea. I was really impressed!

Fjellrev

Ha, I never bothered with Cherry Cola. Sounds like they really bombed on that one.

mewakeling

Unfortunately, I feel that may be a correct assessment…

So I went into this tea a little blind. I had no earthly clue what lychee tasted like.

This tea, to me, is mouth-wateringly juicy…however, the juice tastes like my grandmother’s rose handsoap smells. Yeah, it’s just not good to me. I don’t know if I don’t like lychee or if I just don’t like this tea, but this is not one I’ll be replacing.

DaisyChubb

Its a very perfumey fruit, so that makes totaly sense my dear!

aisling of tea

Yay! I’m glad it wasn’t just me. I sniffed the lychee tea at Tealish today and it had the same smell of rose soap to me, so I think I’m going to pass this tea on.

DaisyChubb

Im sure youll make someones day with it! Thats sometimes worth the pain of a soapy tea? Ha ha

aisling of tea

Yup yup! Better than I learn I don’t like it on a mere 26g from DT, rather than a tin from Harney and Sons, or something like that.

eek yes, amen to that

Amariel

Yes, I get a floral scent too. Not my cuppa I’m afraid.

Lychee-flavoured things are always attractive to me. I remember when I first discovered SoHo at the ripe age of 21, and couldn’t believe I had been missing out on such a delicious liquor during my underage drinking days. I also love those lychee jelly desserts found in the ethnic food aisle of the grocery store (I don’t even want to know whats in them, they’re so weird but tasty).

So when I heard that DT had a lychee black tea, I was intrigued at first. Then the tasting notes on this page made me put this tea on my “maybe when I’m really bored of all other teas” list. But recently, I somehow I decided to pick up 25g of this blend while stocking up on Midsummer Nights Dream, Pink Flamingo and Mango Diablo. I didn’t think I was going to like this dusty smelling tea, but once I brewed the first cup the choir started to sing.

This is a really light, floral lychee essence that grows on me with every cup. The black tea blends so nicely, and normally I like my flavoured blacks to not taste like black tea. I’m odd like that. But the black tea compliments the lychee exceptionally well, imo. I can also smell the lychee in the dry tea now. It makes me swoon! The little bag of tea I bought is all gone, and now all I can think about is when I can get another fix.

twitch

(Good for 2 steeps at 3 and 4 mins apiece. Very good iced)