Almond Biscotti

Green Tea
Coconut, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Debbie

From Della Terra Teas

Almond Biscotti! The name says it all. Full of almond and baked flavor. Perfectly paired with a green tea for the most amazing cuppa!

Ingredients: Green tea, almonds, almond flavor with bits of coconut

Suggested brewing tips:
Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving
Water Temp: 158-167°F
Steep Time: 1-3 minutes

About Della Terra Teas View company

Yum. It’s always exciting when you open your mailbox to find a package of tea you forgot you ordered. This is a refreshing and delightful green tea. The name fits the taste perfectly. Another score for Della Terra. Wish I had ordered more than an ounce.

From the Great Canadian Travelling tea box.
I’m a really big fan of almond, but it is definitely a flavour that can go very wrong. The smell of this was mouth watering, and the taste didn’t disappoint. The flavour definitely isn’t as strong as the smell suggests, but it is a delicious natural almond flavour (like almond extract) with a coconut aftertaste. I would never think that almond would work well with a green base but it does. Keeping this one, sorry guys!

Another from the GCTTB. I’ve been on Della Terra’s site before but I’d not seen this one listed (I see it now though!) and so when I saw it in the box my first thought was “hmmm, almond biscotti?!? Ok I’ll bite.” (well drink really, but you get the idea.)

Dry this tea is almost overpowering in its scent profile, sweet and filled with artificial cherries. There were a few mild almond notes underneath but nothing to write home about. I also couldn’t find any hint of the green tea. Speaking of it, I was really surprised to find that this was based on a green rather than a yeasty black or a buttery oolong, but I guess I’ll see.

The pale yellow-green liquor gives off a less intense scent, it’s still filled with cherries, but I get a few more buttery almond tones mixed in with a sweet almost pastry like scent. The flavor is even milder, though the first few sips of the freshly steeped tea felt very disconnected with all the different notes almost fighting each other. Once the tea cooled a bit I finally started to see the biscotti coming together. The darker almond notes do show up quite nicely and mix reasonably well with the cherries and buttery notes. As for the coconut… The more it cooled the more those notes came out as well; they actually helped to balance the profile quite nicely.

I don’t get much flavor from the green tea but I can see where a “lighter” base lends itself to the overall profile better than a black tea would. That said though there is a creaminess to this tea that I’m guessing comes from the base leaf; overall the mouth feel is really quite a nice complement to the overall profile.

In the end it was an interesting tea to try, decently balanced once it cooled and not as sweet as I was expecting. That said, it’s not my… well, cup of tea ;) If I had a package I’d certainly drink it but I don’t see myself going out of my way to order more.

Delicious. The green tea base threw me for a bit, because in my head, almond goes with black tea because it’s more desserty and hearty, and green tea should be lighter. But this was very good. The coconut added a creaminess to the tea, and the almond came right through. Lovely. Absolutely love.

Well, this definitely smells like almond biscotti! So much that it borders on marzipan (which is great, I love marzipan). I figured I could sneak in one more cup today before I headed out. Unfortunately I wasn’t quite right and had to take it with me, but that also means I got to try it both hot and cold!

Hot, this is nice. Nutty, a little sweet, and really more subtle than I expected. It’s like an almond cookie. Cold this is even better, and the nut taste is so present it’s almost fruity. I would love to try this iced.

As soon as I read the description of this tea I new it would be a winner. From the moment I opened this tea I was immediately hit with the absolutely wonderful aroma of almond and cookie. Once brewed the almond flavor is dominate but pairs perfectly with the cookie and coconut flavors. I applaud the use of a green base as it acts to pull together the tea without overpowering or taking away from the overall flavor profile. All in all, this is a stunning tea that is true to its name and is a wonderful treat!

Lewis and Clark TTB #6

Try tea has strong almond aroma. It’s even more powerful in the cup. The almond comes close to drowning out the flavor of the tea, but it does peek through underneath. I like this tea, but that is because I really love almonds. Even so, it’s almost too much for me.

So until I really looked close at this tea, and then verified on here, I would not have expected it to have coconut in it. I don’t know what coconut has to do with almond biscotti, but it’s there. Steeped, it’s definitely coconut to me, much more so than almond for sure.

Unfortunately, this tea just isn’t for me.

mj

Oh, are you a coconut hater like Marzipan?

Cheri

I’m not a hater, but I don’t prefer it. Mostly, my aversion to coconut is the texture, which one doesn’t get in tea, obviously, but it’s still not a flavor I like. If it had been mild here, and complimented the almond, it probably would have been fine, even nice, because it could have added a great dimension to the biscotti-ness. Instead, it overwhelmed, and it was a coconut tea that maybe had a little almond flavor to it.

Marzipan

I’m famous for being a coconut hater!

mj

You are! Hating coconut is just so incomprehensible to me because I LOVE it so much. It made quite an impression when you posted that you hated coconut. LOL

christeana1

I agree mj on the hating coconut! I do not understand how people hate licorice either.

Cheri

Coconut, I really don’t like. Black licorice, I really hate. EEEEEWWWW!

Marzipan

I wish I liked them, it would make life a lot easier.

Marzipan

Of course, I don’t understand how people hate things like a great aged parmesan or prosciutto.

mj

I’m with Cheri about licorice…so gross!

Cheri

I love aged cheeses. Delicious.

christeana1

Wow! Now your hating on parmesan and prosicutto! And licorice too! Looks like my palate is completely opposite of you guys..lol:)

christeana1

@ marzipan…do you have issues with Parma?:)

Marzipan

No, I think you read my comment backward.

christeana1

Oh your right…sorry about that. :) The Italian in me was crying.

So I think I must come to the most unfortunate conclusion that green tea simply isn’t for me, at least the majority of the time. But I have yet to taste a green tea that I don’t have to force myself to finish, and sadly this was no exception.
This sample came to me from VariaTea, who very thoughtfully combed my wish list and sent me like everything on it. I had wanted to try this for a long time, because other people who also weren’t huge green tea fans were liking it. Alas, I got a hint of delicious marzipan followed by a green base that kind of drowned out any enjoyment I could get from the almond flavouring. I thought of adding some sugar to it, and might just do that with my next cup to see if I can’t tame the base a bit, but we’ll see.

Thanks again, variaTea!

VariaTEA

I am sorry this wasn’t the exception to your green tea dislike. Also, I think your wallet might thank you for eliminating a whole type of tea because now you want be as tempted to try ALL the teas. Now, just MOST of the teas.

donkeytiara

I’m with you on the green tea thing….always seem to taste like…well, leaves!! Lupicia has a strawberry & vanilla with macha that tolerates milk well (and tastes like cap’n crunch on a picnic) but I’ve pretty much passed on all of the green teas except the Lupicia one. I tried…..

Buttery green tea, coconut and almond slices (and almond flavor, I think). This is tasty! It seems to be more of an almond tea… marzipan. I can’t really taste the coconut. This blend works well together, and I’m always up for another marzipan-like tea! I’ll have to drink this one fast though, since it’s green and also coconut. I realized the other day that with my old tin of 52Teas coconut cream pie, the coconut has NOT started to age yet and get that weird taste! Nice! I thought this one might be hojicha from the picture (which might have been delicious) but it is the usual green tea. I’ve very happy with this one. I think it’s the last I had to try from my Black Friday order (oh geeze, it’s the middle of March!)

Dustin

I think I have one or two from my Black Friday purchase that I still haven’t tried either. It’s just more proof that I don’t need to buy more tea!