Pear Tea

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Random Carpe Diem

• “Apparently I remembered wrongly when I thought I didn't like this tea. Thankfully I had enough to send samples to *Stephanie* and *keychange* anyway. Sending on Monday if I can get to the post...” Read full tasting note
    Starfevre 501 tasting notes
  • “Another generous swap sample from *Dexter3657*! First off, I wasn't overly excited by the idea of this tea. I do rather enjoy fresh pears, but the thought of a pear flavored black tea was just...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 834 tasting notes
  • “This is from the super exciting swap box Dexter3657 sent my way! Yay! Thank you for letting me try so many Fauchon teas--couldn't come at a better time (just discovered them last month and am in...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes
  • “First review with the new Steepster format. I love changes, it's so exciting and it takes you out of your comfort zone...it's gonna take a little time and practice to adjust, but great fun to...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 340 tasting notes

From Fauchon

Pear Tea

About Fauchon View company

Apparently I remembered wrongly when I thought I didn’t like this tea. Thankfully I had enough to send samples to Stephanie and keychange anyway. Sending on Monday if I can get to the post office (if work isn’t crazy).

This is still a juicy juicy pear and the black tea is bold and I’m not sure what the roughness is that I taste, malt? I know and have drunk a lot more tea since this one I drank almost a year ago but this one is still pretty good. I don’t reach for pear tea often and this one is getting rather old so I should dry to drink up/trade out soon. Maybe I will be able to buy another canister soon-ish, although not too soon because my finances are telling me strongly “No More Spending On Frivilous Things You Already Have Lots Of”. Haha.

sherapop

Tea? Frivolous? What?? ;-)

Starfevre

I’m about to update my cupboard to the FULL CORRECT number of teas I have and I’m sure it will be pushed above 500 so yeah, at this point tea is frivolous because I have SO VERY VERY MUCH of it already.

keychange

Thank you! and my conscience tells me the very same thing about my finances too…I just never listen.

Starfevre

Just finished getting the FINAL tea number that I’m pretty 90% sure is all of my tea. 541. That is my number. I can’t even put a target on that.

holy crap… anything over 300 is just beyond my comprehension lol

Starfevre

Yeah. As soon as the TTBB comes and goes, I’m going to do some serious sending out in some very unequal trades to get rid of some of this stuff. My yuck pile is getting big.

Well the new format should make it easier to see who in your swap list wants a tea heh

Starfevre

So so so very true!!! I love that part!

Another generous swap sample from Dexter3657!

First off, I wasn’t overly excited by the idea of this tea. I do rather enjoy fresh pears, but the thought of a pear flavored black tea was just kinda “eh” in my mind. Boy was I wrong! OK, you know how a really good Bosc pear will have an almost floral quality to its scent/flavor? This tea somehow captures that. These French teas, man…something magical about them :)

TheTeaFairy

Oh, how convienient, I also have a sample of this from Dexter, yay! You make it sound really good Stephanie, will be hard to resist it, it is screming at me right now, drink me, drink me!!!

Starfevre

I have more of this if you want another sampler. I wasn’t too enthused about it.

Stephanie

Wow it even re-steeps well! Dang, Starfevre, you’re so generous! I’m sending you some surprises this coming week but I haven’t picked them out yet…

Starfevre

I also have a caramel and jasmine tea from Fauchon that I hated very much.

:-O that sounds amazing…

Starfevre

I don’t think there was anything wrong with the tea. I think I just hate jasmine.

Stephanie

I lurve me some jasmine :)

Starfevre

I’ll send you some then.

This is from the super exciting swap box Dexter3657 sent my way! Yay! Thank you for letting me try so many Fauchon teas—couldn’t come at a better time (just discovered them last month and am in love).

I’ve only tried a couple other pear teas (Joy’s Teaspoon and Della Terra, I think?), and this one’s interesting because there’s a transformation in the type of pear from scent to taste. The smell is very sweet, like candy pear or pear syrup, but as for taste, after the upfront mysteriously smoky black tea flavor the pear comes in very juicy and fresh, with that clean “raspiness” fresh pear has. As it cools it tastes A LOT like fresh pear juice, and there’s a subtle woody tannin element from the tea that works like gangbusters with the fresh pear flavor.

That same general wonderful interplay between delicate but not disappointly watery black tea flavor and haunting, sophisticated scent is present the way it’s been in all the Fauchon teas I’ve tried (I’m totally hooked on that quality! Beginning to feel like it could be any flavor/scent whatsoever and I’d dig it if it came from Fauchon because of how it’d do that with the black tea base). Beautiful, and I know I keep using this word but I don’t know how else to put it, distinctly sophisticated. I really don’t know of another company that layers scent with delicate tea flavor the way they do.

Thank you so much! It’s so nice to be a little lovey dovey and starry eyed in the evening.

Dexter

:))) and not a single mention of “floral”…..
I haven’t had many pear teas either – it just seems they want to include other flavors with it, or the base totally drowns out the pear. I haven’t tried this yet – but the best one I’ve had was from Design a Tea – double pear with a green base.

ifjuly

Yes, this one wasn’t floral perfume-y despite having quite a lot of scent to it (I think nearly every Fauchon tea that was available in that Vente Privee sale had rose and other flowers listed in the ingredients, so…). So it’s been really neat to try some that aren’t (and it turns out I love them both ways, whee). Naissance was awesome too!

Ooh, pear with a green base sounds very interesting. The only ones I’ve seen have had black bases, and tend toward cooked-sweet or in the case of Della Terra’s even canned syrupy sweet. This year taught me that I love blacks straight, blended, or Earl-style-scented, but for full on flavored fruity or sweet stuff I often prefer oolong or green bases. So I bet I’d like that. Will add to the shopping list! Thanks for the tip.

ifjuly

EDIT: Now I see how Design a Tea works…that is so neat! G’ah, I’m super curious now, want to play at designing something, but after Black Friday orders I’m done buying tea for like at least a year, boo…

Dexter

(Not enabling – but Brian at Design a Tea is AWESOME – he’ll do anything you want – don’t let the structure of the website limit your imagination. My last order I typed almost a page of “special instructions”, and I got a really nice email saying – no problem, that’s what we do and everything came exactly as ordered…)

ifjuly

i totally didn’t need enabling, as you typed i was designing my 5 free samples, hahaha. i played it on the safe side, but i’m super duper excited.

looking forward to:
maple irish cream black
“a pair of pears” green (so i do get to try the pear tea you like!)
pecan pumpkin rooibos
nutmeg chestnut green (to make up for the fact lupicia’s chestnut green tea, which used to get rave reviews here, hasn’t been in stock in like over a year)
ginger honey oolong

and it’s great to know the folks there are super nice. tea is so funny, the way just about everyone is so nice. can you imagine if all customer service for everything was like that? man.

Dexter

LOL too funny, we are all saying – too much tea, but then is there such a thing. oooohhh pecan pumpkin – that’s a great idea (I did pumpkin amaretto honeybush). I just love the mad scientist part of it.
I agree – it’s hard to get decent customer service in the real world – here in the tea world it seems everyone is fantastic. I think it’s the small business owners with a passion for what they do.. Hope you like your choices. :))

First review with the new Steepster format. I love changes, it’s so exciting and it takes you out of your comfort zone…it’s gonna take a little time and practice to adjust, but great fun to discover the new features :-)

Dexter3657 knew I love to try as many French teas as i can, so she sent me a bunch. I picked this one tonight to make it up for another French tea I bought that did not rise for the occasion. But I won’t mention how bad it was cause it’s not the tea’s fault but the vendor’s.

This pear tea on the other hand is pretty tasty. It’s a true pear taste, almost floral as Stephanie was mentioning in her own review. I like that it’s not too sweet as I prefer my tea this way. The base is slightly astringent, which I also like, makes the fruit pop out even more.

You just know you’re having a good quality flavoured tea with this one, I could see myself getting used to it easily. Thank you so much Dexter for sharing this with the world before you even had the chance to try it yourself :-)

This one is not my favorite. Opening the can you’re hit with a strong whiff of pear that smells strikingly like green Jolly Ranchers. I actually love green Jolly Ranchers, but not mixed with my teas. In the cup the scent and flavor are much mellower, but for some reason the flavors don’t meld well for me. It’s like the black tea base and pear flavoring are completely separate layers that you taste at different times. It’s not awful, but I don’t think I’ll be having a second cup.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Craving Pear tea tonight.
French Tea makes me happy.
Pear tea makes me happy.
This tea is making me happy.

This is really subtle, just a whiff of awesome pear essence swirling amongst a nice black base. This is a French tea – not in your face flavors. It’s more of an impression that actual flavor. MMMMMmmmmmmmmm

Stephanie

This one is gooood. I need to buy some Fauchon! Wish I could find it!

TheTeaFairy

Happy you’re happy :-)

Dexter

I hear you Stephanie – I got lucky and found some at Winner’s last fall. It’s not easy to get.

Fairy – happy….

Hello Steepster!

It’s been awhile. I am still here, checking things out every once in a while. Things have been stupid crazy. So I haven’t drank a lot of tea lately, let alone have had time to review any. So of course I have a mad case of the grumps. So today I decided I am going to be a recluse, don’t talk to me, or text me, or come over, or book me an appointment, or ask me to do anything.

Well of course, because I decided today is MY day, I have already had to go out and run some errands, people were texting me at 7 am (FML). And now I have company coming. But they have been forewarned. I am not going to be a host, or pleasant at all. I don’t want them here (they thought I was joking, but I wasn’t). They can come and entertain themselves. That is what I am planning anyway. But I know it is not how it is going to go.

All I am asking for is for the world to leave me along today. sigh.

So I am going to try to get to some samples and do some reviews.

I received this one from Dexter! I am assuming this is the right tea, my little package was labelled La Poire, but I am sure this is the same tea.

The brewed tea smells like strong black tea, bold and malty, with a light fruity flavour.

Wow, the taste is very much pear. Definitely surprising. It is a bit of artificial pear-candy tasting, but much more pear flavour than I expected. I did not need to add any sweetener at all. The black tea is very bold, thick, strong, and malty. On first sip, there is a very strong pear flavour, then it quickly fades to the black base. The pear flavour becomes more natural and starts to linger longer once the tea begins to cool a bit.

It is supposed to be a rainy day. I love rain. Right now it is like the pre- gross windy weather that will blow in the rain. I can’t wait…for the rain, not my company. Damn people that love me and want to be around me. I need to be much more grumpy, unless they like grumpy, hmmm…

(I have clearly not had enough tea in recent times).

sherapop

Tea is key! Do not deprive yourself! ;-)

Terri HarpLady

I am very much a loner, & left to my own devices with all my musical instruments, tea, food, & garden, would probably be happy to never see another human face…just tinkering, sipping, singing, & strumming into blissful oblivion. But, thus is not the case. I have students on & off five days a week, 3 of my adult children & one grandchild live with me, and the other one lives a block away with her hubby & 2 kids. This is all really good & wonderful, don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for my kids & students, but I am rarely actually alone for any length of time. I hear you!

Terri HarpLady

Glad to see you here, BTW! :)

whatshesaid

Aw I totally understand!

dexter sent this one my way from my wishlist. let me tell you…THIS is a happy pear tea. happy happy happy. It’s not a green base, which makes me SUPER excited and happy. While i enjoy green pear teas, they’re still not quite what i want. This one smells like juicy pear…but not fruity pear…which i know sounds weird. This is that smell…when you first cut into a pear that’s about to be over ripe… the base is still present, so the flavouring is subtle. It’s not an in your face sort of tea…it’s one to sit and enjoy and let it wrap it’s tasty pear around around you. thanks a bunch dexter! If i find this at winners…i will be a happy lady!

Stephanie

Love this one, super natural tasting pear!

Dexter

Have you tried the pear tea from Joy’s Teaspoon? It’s really good too…

i feel like i have but didn’t love it as much as this one

Not bad, it has a definite pear taste, but not overpowering, a nice tea.

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 250 ML