Peach & Thyme

Black Tea, Papaya, Peach, Peach Flavour, Safflower, Sugar Crystals, Thyme
Compost, Dry Grass, Musty, Peach, Thyme, Mint, Smooth
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “So... this is weird. Weird but good? Good but weird? Something like that. The thyme is so strong. Dry, the smell of the peaches come through, but after steeping I mostly get thyme. I added 1/4...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1573 tasting notes
  • “interesting. many years ago i had a recipe for rosemary peach chicken. the first time i made it i scoffed, certain i wouldn't like it. i was wrong. for me this is a savoury tea written on a...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes
  • “I received samples of this tea from both *MissB* and *OMGsrsly*. Steepster swappers are the best. Tons of people our scrounging for Fauchon teas, and I get samples from two different people. The...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 741 tasting notes
  • “I've had this for a bit, and yet I only have half a tin left. Why? Because I've shared so much with the folks who have shown interest. Now, it's time to see how I feel about it! First off, I...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1146 tasting notes

From Fauchon

The union of juicy peach and fresh thyme envelopes the palate with bright sparkling notes. A truly original and addictive tea.

Limited edition.

Ingredients: black tea (China), natural flavour (peach), papaya (papaya, sugar), peach (peach, rice flour), thyme, safflower.

About Fauchon View company

So… this is weird. Weird but good? Good but weird? Something like that.

The thyme is so strong. Dry, the smell of the peaches come through, but after steeping I mostly get thyme. I added 1/4 tsp sugar to try to bring out some sweetness of the fruit, but I’m not so sure it’s working.

As it cools, the peach comes out a bit. I can see this being an amazing iced tea in the summer. I’ll have to try cold steeping it soon-ish, even though it’s now the cold and rainy season here. :)

(2 tsp in ~15 oz)

MissB

Oh! I’m so glad you tried this. I thought I’d either love it, or really dislike it, even though I do love thyme. Then again, curious combinations are always fun to try. This is on my list for tomorrow.

OMGsrsly

I couldn’t resist! Thyme is pretty much my favourite herb. :) Now I want to roast peaches with honey and thyme. That would be superb. With vanilla ice cream. Mmm…

MissB

Oh, yum! And… now I’m salivating.

OMGsrsly

I made peach jam with rosemary and black pepper last year. SO GOOD. This coming peach season I should do it with thyme and vanilla. :)

Dexter

Wish they had this one at my store… :((

OMGsrsly

Oh, I’ll add some to your package. I haven’t sent it yet because I keep forgetting to bring it to work with me! I’ll put it in my bag now, too.

MissB

Heh. Funny, I’d already added some to your package as well Dexter. :)

MissB

These jams you speak of, can I buy one from you? They sound divine. I try and stay away from sugars where possible, but this sounds like something to break that rule for.

LOL Thanks guys!!!

OMGsrsly

MissB, I just have a wee teensy one left, and you are welcome to it. :) It’s a lower sugar jam with whole pieces of fruit and no pectin. You basically make a candy syrup with the juices from macerated fruit and some sugar, then add the fruit back in towards the end. “Jam according to Daniel”’s recipe.

OMGsrsly

I can in the tiny jars because I just eat it with a spoon. Too much of a hassle to make gluten free bread all the time. :)

MissB

Oh, awesome! You’ll have to tell me how I can repay you. Perhaps a hand knit hat or something? I have yet to can or jam anything, however now you’re inspiring me. And I understand the gluten free bread part, as I do it all the time myself.

OMGsrsly

It’s only 1/2 cup of jam, so no need to go and knit something for me! Try it and see what you think.

yyz

I’m glad to read this. I thought about this tea as well, but I thought that it would be probably be better iced and to be honest I don’t make ice tea very often.

I love those tiny half pots for jam. My mom and I used to make port wine jelly in them for Christmas gifts when I was a child. I used to love it.

interesting. many years ago i had a recipe for rosemary peach chicken. the first time i made it i scoffed, certain i wouldn’t like it. i was wrong.

for me this is a savoury tea written on a subtly sweet base; unassumptive, unimposing….. almost hard to detect at times.

imagine the sweetest peach steeped with a simple syrup and fresh thyme….. original, quite unique.

thank you MissB!

ifjuly

rosemary peach chicken sounds delicious!

JustJames

it didn’t at the time… (thyme? =oP) but it was quite excellent!!! live and learn, lol.

Amariel

I agree, peach and rosemary chicken sounds good!

Fjellrev

At first I thought peaches would be weird, but you know, it kind of makes sense. I think apricot would be even better.

JustJames

that’s an inspired idea Incendiare. i always found that fuzzy stone fruit held a note held a latent tobacco note. sweet, fleshy, very distant down the line…. but a mild raw tobacco nonetheless to my palate.

ifjuly

we’re huge fans of meat/savory + fruit in this household…my favorite chicken tagine recipe has plumped dried apricots in it. earlier this week i made mitchell davis’ recipe for pork chops with apples and prunes plumped in white wine, so good! yum. my obsession with middle eastern and mediterranean and medieval european cuisine is probably showing.

Amariel

SOme of my favorite curries are fruit curries. I’ve addd apple, butternut squash, raisins and apricots before. Great combination. When I as visiting with my brother last month, we made something very much like this, only the vinaigrette was with lime juice, and shallots, iirc.

We had chicken with it and it was a good combination of flavours.

ifjuly

yummmm! lime and shallot sounds really good. and i love butternut squash with raisins!

Mmm, now I’m hungry.

ifjuly-I made peach tartines (open faced sandwich, essentially) with thyme goat cheese over the summer…so yummy. I can try to find the recipe if you like.

MissB

Glad you enjoyed it, or at least that it evoked some fond memories. :)

JustJames

i did enjoy it! i want to fool with it some more… ;o)

MissB

I think OMGsrsly was saying she’s made a jam like this. Makes me dream every time I think of it.

OMGsrsly

Peach and rosemary jam. AMAZING.

ifjuly

Heather, I’d love that! Sounds so so good (and my husband LOVES goat cheese).

Amariel

Ok ifjuly, here you go! I actually found this because OMGsrsly posted it on FB…

I received samples of this tea from both MissB and OMGsrsly. Steepster swappers are the best. Tons of people our scrounging for Fauchon teas, and I get samples from two different people. The generosity here is just amazing.

I don’t think I can say it better than OMGsrsly did:
“So… this is weird. Weird but good? Good but weird? Something like that.”
I am really happy to have gotten a chance to try this. If it had been in my Winners store, I would have bought a tin of it. I think I’m ok with not having a 100g tin of it in my house, on the other hand, it is interesting enough that I will drink and enjoy the samples I have.
I’m getting more peach than thyme. It’s more scented than flavored (as I would expect from a French tea) – the peach is really nice and sweet, subtle but present. The thyme is more of an impression (hint of), but is nice with the peach. But it’s still strange enough that I wouldn’t drink it everyday.

Thank you so much ladies for sending this to me.

OMGsrsly

You’re welcome! I still need to try it iced. I think it would shine as an iced tea.

Dexter

I agree, but I can’t do iced tea in the winter, and I’m sure the samples won’t last til spring. :))

JustJames

i haven’t tried mine yet….. i’m trying to be self disciplined. yeah, we’ll see how long that lasts! lol.

Try it, James! :D

JustJames

oy! i’m pretty good!! lol. sugar free for over a month! my clothes will testify, lol. =0D

MissB

See, great minds think alike! :)

I’ve had this for a bit, and yet I only have half a tin left. Why? Because I’ve shared so much with the folks who have shown interest. Now, it’s time to see how I feel about it!

First off, I love savory teas, as well as sweet ones. Combine the two? I’m curious and excited. Plus, OMGsrsly’s reviews really got me curious, as well as her mention of peach and thyme jam. Oh… my mouth is watering.

So, I tried this. Made sure I steeped it properly, the works.

Dry, this smells more like thyme than peach. Steeped, it reverses. It was okay straight (more thyme than anything, almost like a stuffing or savory Christmas pudding?), however with some sweetener added, this was stellar for me. Luscious, juicy peach with a hint of thyme mid-way through to the end. Really, truly delightful, and very different.

If you like savory sweets (I’m thinking jams with savory elements like jalapeno jelly, for instance) then you’ll likely love this tea. Less is also more, with both heat and steep time.

Amariel

I definitely need sweetener with this one, and it was quite an interesting flavour…something I think Id cook with more than drink, though. I have more of your sample, so we’ll see if I still feel that way with a future cup of this.

Try it iced. :)

Amariel

I have kinda had that idea, and stashing it for a not so cold time. Maybe a cold steep though.

OMGsrsly

I haven’t done a cold steep, but flash iced with honey = yes please. Maybe I’ll bring some to work tomorrow. :)

2007 tasting notes

This is not a tea I would have normally gone after but a friend bought a tin the other day at TJ Maxx because she loves thyme. I told her that I had heard that the thyme was super strong, but she was not to be swayed. She stopped by this morning and said she didn’t think the thyme was too strong and gave me a sample to try. So I am taking a break from my short list of sipdown teas to have this one. It certainly smells strongly of thyme!

I associate thyme with savory things like the chicken pot pie I made recently, so it’s a bit odd here. But I can definitely smell the sweet juiciness of the peaches under the thyme. I agree that this is weird, and for me, who is not totally in love with thyme, I am going to say “not bad” instead of “good”, haha. I agree that as it cools it gets peachier and the thyme cools down a bit, but it’s a bit too “herby” for me. This is definitely an “if you love thyme…” type of tea!

yyz

I kind of passed on this tea too. I like time but the idea of the blend kind of made me think that it would do better iced than hot and I don’t ice my teas very often.

ifjuly

oh, i wanna try this. must make my way to tj maxx sometime. i love fresh thyme and peach salad in the summer, yum.

OMGsrsly

I love thyme. :) Still need to try it cold brewed, but I think it’s good hot and iced.

cteresa

goodness, that sounds strange. But still a very curious mix indeed!

and lol what is it with these french and mixing peach with other flavours in tea? I got a peach and pepper tea which is kinda of sublime.

OMGsrsly

cteresa, I made peach jam with all sorts of things in it last year. The peach and pepper jam was so good! I think it disappeared the fastest. :)

cteresa

In the tea it works fabulously (and they added a hint of nutmeg to it as well, it was all wonderful!)

Peach and Thyme… what a strange combination. Fear not though, we cannot doubt the French and their perfume combinations… right??

At first sniff: I smell the peach, delicious peach. I catch notes of the thyme, but not overpowering and the sweetness of the peach enhances the sweet parts of the thyme. Definitely not offensive and it definitely works well together.

At first steep: THYME THYME… did I mention you can really smell the thyme? Wowzers!! The taste is less intense, but with the sniff and the taste, you really can taste the thyme and it takes over a bit. The peach is the second note, which is a bit disappointing. It’s definitely a different tea. Although the French are on point with the smell of the tea, I’m not sure the taste is as good. I definitely would have been happier with a peaches and cream taste, rather than a peach gravy? With Thanksgiving and Christmas in the air, I could see this tea going extremely well with turkey dinner. It would be an excellent sweet component if cream and sugar are added.

I like this tea, I’m not sure I love this tea. I have 100g of it now and one beautiful fuchsia tin. I don’t feel badly paying 12.99 for it though because I definitely taste that the tea is quality. I probably wouldn’t replace it when the “thyme” comes. ha ha

Ysaurella

Apricot, peach are going very well with rosemary and thyme. You’re right this is not a surprising thing for a French person.
We all here have a Grandma’s recipe of chicken with honey and rosemary and thyme.

Tuscanteal

That’s interesting. I didn’t know that it was s common combination for the French!!!! I’ll will definitely give it another go though as it wasn’t bad. Just new.

Definitely not something we would pair here in Canada. But when I visited France I loved everything there anf miss it!!!

Backlog:

I got this sample from MissB because I was intrigued after OMGsrsly tried it.

I have to say that the peach to thyme balance was pretty good, and the base was not too overpowering. I think that I might like this just a bit better as a cold steep, so I’m reserving the rest of it for then…then being a warmer day…I don’t do a lot of cold drinks in winter, or much at all (I think my body composition is happier without a lot of icy cold drinks).

This tea does totally make me want to make the peach and goat cheese tartine that I made over the summer…the goat cheese is spiked with fresh thyme, and the peaches on top got a small dusting of fresh leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.

I also learned of this recipe from OMGsrsly so she is two for two with this combo!

Here is my attempt at it from the summer, plus a salad and some arctic char…

OMGsrsly

:D Awesome! I still need to try the recipe. I have goat cheese in the freezer, but no peaches.

Forgot that Rose Congu at home, needed another black tea hit this morning! I got this one a while ago at TJMax on a Fauchon-dive with Dinosara, specifically because it sounded absolutely bizarre. Dinosara claims that the tea is ‘very thymey’, but at the time I was using fresh thyme constantly in my cooking, and didn’t realize that the thymey flavor was that of grassy store-bought dried thyme, not the lemony goodness I had accustomed myself to.
The peach is light, over an unoffensive, lighter black base. The thyme is really the kicker here, and though it can be good at times, in the ‘new and exciting’ kind of way, I wouldn’t call it everyday good. It is frankly very weird, and brings to mind those shortbread cookies made with savory spices at fancy coffee shops and bakeries. Every once in a while it really hits the spot, when your not really looking for tea flavor in your tea, but do not want something overly sweet either. A bit of sugar brings the peach out a little more, but it is still overpowered by the thyme.

Flavors: Compost, Dry Grass, Musty, Peach, Thyme

Boiling

This is different. I was intrigued by the thyme, and wondered how that would fare in a tea. I get mostly the herby flavour of the thyme. The peach to me is more of a scent than a flavour, but there is a whisper of the peach hiding in the background.

I think this would make an interesting iced tea, but I don’t have enough to test that theory. It’s pretty good, and am glad I got a chance to try it. Thanks for sample Cameron B!

This is really strange! I love the unexpected combination of sweet and savory. It reminds me of an ice cream flavor from a local made ice cream company, Lick, which was peach and rosemary. The two went really well together, surprisingly so and I think the same goes for this tea too. The scent of thyme is dominant, but lets the peach come through a bit in the sip. I think it is even better with a bit of sugar to round out the peach flavor. I added a little soy milk to see what would happen and I think it kind of kills the flavors. The thyme is muted and the peach is only present in the aftertaste. Should have stuck with just sugar.
This is a really creative and unusual blend! I like it!

Sarsonator

hhhmmm… interesting. This sounds a little scary, but now I kind of want to try it. LOL. I would never have thought to put these flavors together!

Angrboda

I had the same sort of experience with it. Unusual and surprisingly lovely. Days before I got a sample of this one I saw a green tea with raspberry and thyme. When I got a chance to purchase that one recently, I did so without even blinking. :)

Dustin

It is definitely worth a go if you come across it.
So how did you like the raspberry and thyme tea, Angrboda?

Angrboda

It’s lovely. :)

Tuscanteal

Those words pretty much describe how I felt about it too. To be honest, I haven’t given the tea a fair chance, so I need to try it again. It’s not a tea I would gravitate to in the morning as it’s flavours are quite strong.