Chocolate Tea

Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Sipdown no. 26 for the year 2014. I forgot how much I loved this. In looking back at my first note, I believe I was chintzy with the rating. Particularly after now having tasted many other...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 951 tasting notes
  • “holy whoa. i had a cup of this yesterday. it was nice, but not notable. i kinda forgot about it right after drinking it. then i came here and read Miss Starfish's mention of steeping longer and...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 736 tasting notes
  • “Dry, this smells of rich cocoa and black tea. MMMmmmmm! I tried this at 3 minutes (which is usually my cut off point for blacks) and while I liked it, I chose to steep it for another minute. I...” Read full tasting note
    Starfish 86 tasting notes
  • “Just back from seeing Avatar. My heart hurts! I needed something extremely comforting and chose a double portion of this. I love the way you still taste tea as well as the chocolate - I bet it's...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

If you love Chocolate, and tea, and want to experience the two as one, then this tea is the choice for you. This tea is highly rated by all the chocolate fanatics here at Harney Tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

I think this is officially my first chocolate chocolate tea? My lovely friend’s mum gave her some of this, because they were sold out of Paris. Nice substitute, but I think I will still give Paris the upper hand here.

Yummy yummy yummy smell. Super strong. Chloë opened the tin, and I swear my brain dissolved. As they say in Chocolat, “Each time I tell myself it’s the last time, but then I get a whiff of…” etc. Perhaps even more so than when I am lusting after someone to a silly degree. BUT. It also had a slight coffee / toasted wood undertone to the smell, which was well balanced, and definitely reflected in the taste.

The leaves are almost black, twisted, and expanded exponentially inside my strainer. Again, it reminded me of coffee in color – a very luscious, dark mocha. My anticipation was growing. I was biting my lip and staring at my glass teapot sideways, begging it to brew faster. The macaroons were prepared to dunk. (http://www.macaroons.com)

As we brewed it (and perhaps it could have sat for a bit longer), I was unimpressed. No bitterness to be found. The chocolate flavor was weak, mostly in the aftertaste, and only mildly strengthened with a splash of milk and sugar. In truth, all I had been searching for was a full-bodied, creamy, chocolate taste. If, however, you seek a tea that harmonizes chocolate with black tea flavors, then I think you will be quite pleased.

Oh Cha!

I’ve been meaning to try that tea… great review!

tease

Glad to be helpful in any way! :)

Chocolate. Tea. Perfect harmony. Ommm…

I love tea, I love chocolate, but not chocolate tea.

The chocolate flavor tasted kind of fake to me. I’ll have to try it again to be sure. Will also try with sugar and sugar/milk.

First tasting note! Anywho, I forgot I even ordered a sample of this when I got my package in the mail today. So It was a nice surprise. I was hoping I would like this since I like chocolate teas. I gotta say though, I’m pretty disappointed. I’m not a big fan of a strong black tea base, and that’s the first thing I tasted. I did like the chocolate notes I got at the end though. Unfortunately this will not be a reorder for me.

I am very much interested in locating a great chocolate tea, but this was not it. No matter how I brewed (straight, with sugar, with milk, with milk and honey — you get the picture) this tea, it remained bitter and subpar. I eventually pawned it off to a friend who ended up giving it to her mother. Everyone can’t be a winner, tea included, I suppose.

This is a nice tea. It definitely smells like chocolate in the bag. I used 1 heaping teaspoon (after realizing I was only using a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon…oops) and steeped for 4 minutes. It still smells like chocolate, but more faintly. I tried this tea straight up, not adding milk as usual. I like it. I didn’t add anything to it at all, which is highly unusual for me and black teas. The chocolate is definitely there but very subtle. I think I need to just start doubling what the package recommends from the get go. I will try 2 heaping teaspoons next time.

I’m not sure why but I did not really taste the chocolate element in this tea except for maybe a very, very slight hint of it in the finish. It just tasted rather bland, to be honest. I did brew it for five minutes using boiled water. Cream did not seem to help. The aroma was also not very pleasant to me. I wish I could be more precise. It’s not that it tasted bad, just bland.