Wuyi Oolong

Oolong Tea
Caramel, Mineral
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

2 Images

• “Backlogging. 3 days ago. Tuesday afternoon. I haven't had an oolong in forever and it sounded like a good thing that day. This met my need and it was like I remembered it, yet it wasn't. The...” Read full tasting note
    chrine 545 tasting notes
  • “We are having a lazy afternoon, went to the gym and had Chinese food for lunch, then took a nap. I've had this tea for a while and while I was gravitating away from wuyi oolongs a bit, we both...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2469 tasting notes
  • “So, after complaining about the pong of this tea yesterday, given that my cold keeps getting worse, I decided "maybe if I can't smell it, I won't care" and opted to try to use some up. Generous...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 325 tasting notes
  • “Ever since I read Rishi's description of this, which includes the phrase "raisin sugar," that's all I can think of when I drink this tea. Which works, because that's exactly what this tastes like...” Read full tasting note
    shetheliving 355 tasting notes

From Rishi Tea

The cliffs of Northern Fujian’s Wuyi Mountains are an important tea producing area with a long history. Oolong tea was first produced in Wuyi and this region’s soil type, microclimate and unique tea bushes produce exquisite oolong. Our Organic Wuyi Mountain Oolong has a smooth and rich body with a classical roasted aroma and sweet finish, Known as Wuyi Qi Lan or “Profound Orchid,” its flavor is quite unique with sweet notes of raisin sugar, honeysuckle and roasted barley. Organic Wuyi Mountain Oolong is great with any meal and makes superb cold tea for the summer season.

About Rishi Tea View company

Backlogging. 3 days ago. Tuesday afternoon.

I haven’t had an oolong in forever and it sounded like a good thing that day. This met my need and it was like I remembered it, yet it wasn’t. The first two steeps were stronger than I would have liked. So maybe decrease the steeping time a bit. And the third and fourth were quite good. Overall, I liked drinking it that day but it didn’t quite live up to my memory of it.

The first two steeps I had right after each other in the afternoon, the third right after dinner, and the fourth right before bed.

2nd steep: 4 mins 15 secs
3rd steep: 4 mins 30 secs
4th steep: 5 mins

We are having a lazy afternoon, went to the gym and had Chinese food for lunch, then took a nap. I’ve had this tea for a while and while I was gravitating away from wuyi oolongs a bit, we both really like them.

This was steeped via regular teapot method and I don’t have my thermometer with me at the BF’s house but I think I did a pretty good job of making it. This tea has a delightful roasted grain, almost buckwheat quality with an essence of fruit. The aftertaste seems very sweet and it coats the mouth. Nice for a gentle afternoon wake-up… see previous notes for more info.

So, after complaining about the pong of this tea yesterday, given that my cold keeps getting worse, I decided “maybe if I can’t smell it, I won’t care” and opted to try to use some up.

Generous portion of leaf into a small pot, rinsed, and then very short (less than 10 seconds) steepings. I’m up to #6 and so far, no pong.

Maybe this is a tea that just really, really, really shouldn’t be steeped for any real length of time — unlike every other wuyi oolong out there?

TeaBrat

sometimes they are better when steeped for shorter periods of time

Charles Thomas Draper

Our tea thing is a constant learning process. Eventually we will have it wired.

Jim Marks

Part of the problem is that you can only wire it on a tea by tea basis. It is hard to overcome the sense of “waste” when you make a bad cup. But learning is never a waste.

And it is still better than drinking coffee, soda or juice.

TeaBrat

It does vary depending on the tea. Sometimes oolongs prefer a water that is not as hot and sorter steeping times. I had that issue with the Red blossom tea Heritage Rougui. It’s great when you keep the steeping times to around 45 seconds. :)

Jim Marks

Yeah, differences between oolongs don’t trouble me. That’s expected. It is huge differences between oolongs which are of the same variety but from different distributors that catch me by surprise and which I find annoying. Huge gaps in quality level and I wouldn’t be surprised by big differences in treatment, but I tend to think of Rishi and RoTea as occupying the same “shelf” in that regard, so the radical differences in treatment is very unexpected.

TeaBrat

I’ve had far better experiences with Rishi than Republic of Tea personally.

Ever since I read Rishi’s description of this, which includes the phrase “raisin sugar,” that’s all I can think of when I drink this tea. Which works, because that’s exactly what this tastes like to me. Bumping the rating a bit.

This time around I intentionally oversteeped it by three minutes just to see if it was possible for it to attain bitterness. The things I do when I should be starting my schoolwork… Well, there was still almost no detectable astringency, just a fleeting trace. Still very smooth. This time around, it’s very roasty and reminiscent of fresh-baked bread with a hint of sweetness, and a taste that doesn’t “taste” like caramel per se, but invokes thoughts of caramel. I love this stuff.

ashmanra

I have this one, too! It was one of my first oolongs. Pretty good!

Sample from Claire as I hadn’t had many roasted oolongs. Definitely a fan of this tea and this style of oolongs. I certainly don’t have the palate to comment on flavors so much but it as amazing. Thanks claire!

Claire

Glad to see those samples made it to you! I really like oolongs like this – nice comfort tea.

The first steep of this tea (at 3:30 mins) was strongly bakey with a distinct roasted-grains flavour more like what I’d expect from a dark Formosa oolong. This was noticably toned down in the second steeping (at 4:45 mins) though the flavour overall remained full and strong. I also picked up some vegetal notes now that the roasted flavour wasn’t as overwhelming and there’s a hint of sweet at the end of each sip, though it’s not what I’d consider to be ‘raisin sugar’. A pretty decent dark oolong over all.

185 °F / 85 °C

This is my first Wuyi Oolong, and it’s really shown me how there are so many different characteristics to oolongs. The dry leaves had a slightly smoky scent along with the smell I associate with oolongs.

I actually read through all the notes to see if I was crazy, and thank goodness someone else had a similar experience (cuz I did feel crazy), but throughout the first steep I kept getting a “wift of marijuana smoke” smell. The taste was bolder than I’m used to with oolongs – more earthy and like a steamed vegetable plate (less asparagus-ey).

I’m on steeping #2 and it’s more like I’m licking a mossy rock that someone had sprinkled with sugar. Not a bad thing (or something that I’d do in real life), but I’m just not sure if this will be a staple oolong for me. NE

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Drinking this one right now.

speaklikeachild

Wow, I really thought I was the only one who got the marijuana smell. I would really like to know what causes such a distinctive scent in this oolong.

This tea has a light earthy taste. There are notes of roasted brown rice or roasted barley, slightly reminiscent of genmaicha. This is a fantastic tea. It’s like a rollercoaster on the palate. At first it’s light, then comes the more bolder earthy taste, and lastly on the end is the slight sweet taste. Overall it’s a light oolong that’s good for multiple steepings. I steeped two teaspoons seven times. I probably won’t go over five or six times again.

I hadn’t had a really good oolong for the past year, and was happily surprised by the excellent quality of this tea. Multiple steeps (4) each produced nice surprises like the faint aroma of genmai-cha and a lightly sweet aftertaste. I was snacking on sesame crackers when I tasted the 2nd steep, and found a fortuitous combination! Like all of Rishi teas, I found this tea of really high quality,