Master Han’s 2013 Sheng Pu’er

Pu-erh Tea
Apricot, Honey, Orchids, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by lteg

From Verdant Tea

Master Han picks wild tea trees in the Qianjiazhai region of the Mount Ailao National Forest Preserve, Yunnan. He takes the utmost care to “let the leaves speak,” pressing each batch of leaves differently to bring out their best, either as a looseleaf sheng, a black tea or a pressed cake or ball of tea.

He works his own land, but is part of the Dongsa farmers cooperative. The cooperative does not pool tea for bulk selling, but rather invests in equipment together so that each farmer can produce their own distinct products with a greater degree of ownership.

Master Han is excited to share his fresh 2013 harvest pu’er. This 500g brick is a unique opportunity to taste the pure, bright flavor notes of a young tea that is clean, smooth and absolutely ready to drink.

The aroma is that of grape, orchid and honey- almost more similar to an oolong than a pu’er. The first steepings are astoundingly sweet. The cakey and buttery quality of the tea evokes a red velvet cupcake with buttercream frosting. The crisp florals that come through in the aftertaste are more like Bai Mudan white tea than pu’er.

Later steepings open up immensely, with the initial sweetness transforming into a full-bodied woody brew with tingling textural notes of licorice root, and star anise. Fruity apricot flavor engages the sides of the palate, while nutty creamy amaretto flavor dominates the aftertaste.

About Verdant Tea View company

Ugh I’m sick! I woke up with a bad cold today. So no tasting new teas until my palate recovers. I’ve been drinking this gongfu style from my new adorable tea pot all morning. Amazingly enough I can actually sort of taste the tangy goodness :)

Kamyria

Oh, I ordered this yesterday… can’t wait for it to arrive. I hope you feel better soon!! :)

Stephanie

You will love it! And thanks :D

feel better;)

greenteafairy

I hope you feel better soon!

boooo hope you feel better asap!

I’ve been drinking this all evening. I didn’t read the suggested steeping parameters, so I only used 4G, instead of the recommended 5G. After letting the leaf relax in a prewarmed yixing, it smelled of honey & apricot!! That was enticing! And the tea didn’t disappoint, not at all! I gave a quick rinse, & steeped 5//10/15 sec/ etc all the way up to a minute & a half.
I didn’t document anything about it, but am looking forward to drinking it again.

The main features were a lovely apricot flavor throughout all steeps, a sweet fruit & honey taste as well, & a lingering tangy mouth. I’m no expert, but IMO this is a really lovely sheng. My only complaint, if there is one, is that the paper the brick comes wrapped in is very flimsy, & has already disintegrated on the edges.

Angrboda

G? grams?

K S

Upgraded her I-Pad to 5G. lol

Terri HarpLady

LOL, yeah, Grams (not Gigabytes!)

the mail-dude just dropped this off along with a bing/beeng(however its spelled) of the Tian Di Ren,which I will try later…this is good stuff(like all of the other Master Han creations I’ve had)…it’s sweet,floral and has a nice bitterness if infused a little longer,which I really like…it starts out a little thin but thickens up around the third infusion…110ml gaiwan 8g tea…nice qi too…

boychik

Nice sheng, I like it too. Looking forward to your review of other shu Tian Di Ren

Terri HarpLady

I’m working on the Tian Di Ren as we speak…

Great Terri. I don’t know if I should order. I’m swimming in pu

mrmopar

I am drowning in pu!

cryptickoi

I too have a little bit of it ;)

Terri HarpLady

I was organizing my pu collection earlier. I keep them all in my bedroom on the 3rd floor, as far from the kitchen as possible. It’s getting a little crazy up there, LOL

Kamyria

I just got my first brick/cake ever and it happened to be this one… I’m on a second steep and it’s really lovely. I made it a nice home in a cabinet near my books in a bedroom on a second floor. I emptied it especially for the sheng collection I’m about to start… lol hubby has no idea.

dry leaves smell like dried persimmon. gaiwan quick rinse, 5 sec steeps. im afraid if it will go bitter. it does develop orchid notes, creamy. so far its delicious,smooth and sweet. im on my 3rd steep
Later on I decided to add tiny drop of agave syrup. Usually I don’t add any thing to my tea. It transformed into raw juicy sweet orange pepper

Looks like it’s time for a sheng-off. I really don’t want to launch my exhaustive pu-er explorations just yet and really just want to keep one around. I really, really love Mandala’s Wild Monk Sheng Pu’er Mao Cha. And I really, really love this too. This one leaves a trailing sweetness on my tongue, and it’s ’pu’er funk,’ for lack of a better name for that ‘pile of wet leaves’ thing, is lighter than the Wild Monk’s. That isn’t necessarily good or bad. Whatever, it’s wonderful, lovely, and bringing a light, complex, sunny note to my morning.

cryptickoi

piling is only used to ferment shu cha…

Flowery

That’s a flavor note, not a process note. ;)

okay…got it..

So I don’t drink Sheng often enough.

And when I do, I keep telling myself, jeez, why don’t you, silly?

Maybe cause it requires more commitment than some other teas? Like, I can’t have this while cleaning up the house or doing chores. No, that would be disrespectful. If I have it, it has to be at a moment when I know I can dedicate time to it.

I think Terri said it propels her into a cosmic state of mind. I agree, this is legal drugs.

This being so “young” feels almost like a white tea, it has that White Peony apricot-y peachy taste, with very sweet honey notes.

3rd and 4th steep bring something very floral with soft woody notes. The wet leaves smell spectacular, wet wood and eucalyptus.

I find zero astringency in this, very smooth and soothing.

Then, something unexpected happens…it morphs into a fuller bodied tea, stronger bark notes and assertive spicy sweet taste. It reminds me of Ginseng Oolong. I also get some roasted almond. The colour of the brew intensifies as well.

I’m just starting to play with it, my afternoon will be peaceful I can already tell.

Doctor prescribed new anxiety pills yesterday…I think I should just keep drinking this instead :-)

Cheri

I really need to start trying sheng. It all sounds so delicious. But that whole time commitment…..

TheTeaFairy

Cheri, this is only me though…maybe others do drink it while doing chores and it’s just fine :-)

Ysaurella

tea is definitively a better companion than pills. But you can have your pills with a cup of tea, I’m sure your doc would prefer that.

TheTeaFairy

Lol, you are probably right Ysaurella ;-)

yyz

Drinking tea in a ritualized way can be very calming. I’m a little weird in that when I’ve suffered through periods of anxiety, the best thing for me to do is to travel somewhere completely new alone. There is something about the stimulus of new things, new languages, and new knowledge that settles me in some way. If I’m at home all I will do is sleep. In Myers-Brigg I am half way between an INFP and ENFP, it makes for a strange set of circumstances where people turn to me for leadership that I usually just fall into, and conversation, but I like long stretches of time alone as well.

TheTeaFairy

Lol “new and alone” would not be good for me right now, but I totally dig what you just wrote, thanks for that. I work in a high performance environment as a leader, I’m off work right now. Alone time as always been a priority in my life as well, something I need as much as I need air to breathe!

SWApilot

Master Han makes some great Shengs. His 2004 Shou was really good.

Terri HarpLady

Master Han (Solo) is the Jedi Master of Tea :)

MzPriss

I love sheng so much (and shu too) but with the exception of Special Dark which I steep western style pretty much every day, I don’t have it often enough. And the time commitment is exactly why. I have some really nice puers and I don’t feel like I do justice to them if I don’t sit down and carve out time dedicated to just tasting them. So I don’t have them often enough and I need to find a way to do that because shengs hit my re-set button and whenever I make the time for them like I did yesterday, I always tell myself that it needs to happen more often.

I have been drinking up the odds and ends of tea sitting around my place since Sunday. I am getting twitchy. Even though I have teas I have yet to sample for some reason I really have been wanting to place an order:) Oh the addiction, you know so i can try EVERYTHING!

Besides drinking down bits of tea I have also been playing with my new qaiwan. This is the tea I tried last night, and my first official pu’er. I tried the pu’er from the TTB, but really what I did was drink the rinse water so I will not count that.

Last night was all about the process and the exploration. I don’t remember much about the taste, but I do remember enjoying the tea. I have found that as I am brewing with the qaiwan I really enjoy the teas more in the middle set of infusions. This was the same for the pu’er. (This could be me still getting the parameters right? ) This tea started out a bit scary, and the middle infusions were full of life and flavor. I found myself craving this as I went to bed. I won’t say I am hooked just yet, but I will say last night experience just added to my want to try more tea, in this case more pu’er!

You will be!

TeaTiff

Haha. I am slightly afraid of that!

Dexter

Agreed – I see a pu’erh addict in the making… :))

boychik

You shouldn’t be afraid. Just jump. Seriously we are here to guide you. Haha I’m still a beginner even though I had a few. Have you tried any ripe( shou)?

TeaTiff

You guys have already been such great guidance! I haven’t had a chance to try shou, although shortly after this tasting note I jumped! I hit submit on a Mandala order with special dark. The curiosity got the better of me and I have been really wanting to try the milk oolong:)

boychik

Excellent choice. You won’t be disappointed. I can send you some samples to expand your horizons;)

TeaTiff

Thank you for the offer boychik, I will have to take a rain check on the samples. I am still working my way through your awesome darj explorer sample pack!

I am a little confused …. I have honed my sheng brewing skills (6-7g/100 ml, rinse then 25 sec steep +10sec subsequent) but this tea tasted polar opposites from what I remember. This was my first sheng and being so Im sure I over brewed it the first two times. I remember a smokiness, bitter, petrol-like barely tolerable cup. This time maybe 1-2 months later I got minimal, if any, smokiness from the first cup (infusion 1&2) and zero astringency the whole way through. This scares my a little because I have switched it to a few different tins and my kitchen where all my tea is kept has been rather humid at times due to cooking/showering/opening window on nice days. Hopefully I just learned to tame sheng and I am not speed aging all my teas.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Mmm… my second time drinking this and I’m loving it more than the first. There is woodiness/smokiness to it that just drives me crazy… I love it! For a second I swear I smelled bacon! What is this? I so intrigued by this tea… It’s floral, it’s fruity, it’s woody and smoky with delicious notes of honey coming through.

I steeped 7 grams in 6 ounces of 95C water for 5/10/10. I’m on the third steep right now and the astringency picked up a bit once the tea cooled but it’s a well balanced astringency, something that I enjoy.

This is some quality sheng. I really want to age this but I’m not sure how long this brick will last.

Flavors: Apricot, Honey, Orchids, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 7 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Stephanie

Shengs are so fascinating :) They’re my new obsession!

Yes, mine too!