Master Han’s 2013 Sheng Pu’er

Pu-erh Tea
Camphor, Grain, Pepper, Peppercorn, White Grapes, Creamy, Forest Floor, Honey, Orange Blossom, Smooth, Tobacco, Citrus, Pine, Smoke, Sweet, Apricot, Orchids, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by lteg

From Verdant Tea

Master Han picks wild tea trees in the Qianjiazhai region of the Mount Ailao National Forest Preserve, Yunnan. He takes the utmost care to “let the leaves speak,” pressing each batch of leaves differently to bring out their best, either as a looseleaf sheng, a black tea or a pressed cake or ball of tea.

He works his own land, but is part of the Dongsa farmers cooperative. The cooperative does not pool tea for bulk selling, but rather invests in equipment together so that each farmer can produce their own distinct products with a greater degree of ownership.

Master Han is excited to share his fresh 2013 harvest pu’er. This 500g brick is a unique opportunity to taste the pure, bright flavor notes of a young tea that is clean, smooth and absolutely ready to drink.

The aroma is that of grape, orchid and honey- almost more similar to an oolong than a pu’er. The first steepings are astoundingly sweet. The cakey and buttery quality of the tea evokes a red velvet cupcake with buttercream frosting. The crisp florals that come through in the aftertaste are more like Bai Mudan white tea than pu’er.

Later steepings open up immensely, with the initial sweetness transforming into a full-bodied woody brew with tingling textural notes of licorice root, and star anise. Fruity apricot flavor engages the sides of the palate, while nutty creamy amaretto flavor dominates the aftertaste.

About Verdant Tea View company

Ugh I’m sick! I woke up with a bad cold today. So no tasting new teas until my palate recovers. I’ve been drinking this gongfu style from my new adorable tea pot all morning. Amazingly enough I can actually sort of taste the tangy goodness :)

Kamyria

Oh, I ordered this yesterday… can’t wait for it to arrive. I hope you feel better soon!! :)

Stephanie

You will love it! And thanks :D

feel better;)

greenteafairy

I hope you feel better soon!

boooo hope you feel better asap!

John MN

You make me curious.

I’ve been drinking this all evening. I didn’t read the suggested steeping parameters, so I only used 4G, instead of the recommended 5G. After letting the leaf relax in a prewarmed yixing, it smelled of honey & apricot!! That was enticing! And the tea didn’t disappoint, not at all! I gave a quick rinse, & steeped 5//10/15 sec/ etc all the way up to a minute & a half.
I didn’t document anything about it, but am looking forward to drinking it again.

The main features were a lovely apricot flavor throughout all steeps, a sweet fruit & honey taste as well, & a lingering tangy mouth. I’m no expert, but IMO this is a really lovely sheng. My only complaint, if there is one, is that the paper the brick comes wrapped in is very flimsy, & has already disintegrated on the edges.

Angrboda

G? grams?

K S

Upgraded her I-Pad to 5G. lol

Terri HarpLady

LOL, yeah, Grams (not Gigabytes!)

the mail-dude just dropped this off along with a bing/beeng(however its spelled) of the Tian Di Ren,which I will try later…this is good stuff(like all of the other Master Han creations I’ve had)…it’s sweet,floral and has a nice bitterness if infused a little longer,which I really like…it starts out a little thin but thickens up around the third infusion…110ml gaiwan 8g tea…nice qi too…

boychik

Nice sheng, I like it too. Looking forward to your review of other shu Tian Di Ren

Terri HarpLady

I’m working on the Tian Di Ren as we speak…

Great Terri. I don’t know if I should order. I’m swimming in pu

mrmopar

I am drowning in pu!

cryptickoi

I too have a little bit of it ;)

Terri HarpLady

I was organizing my pu collection earlier. I keep them all in my bedroom on the 3rd floor, as far from the kitchen as possible. It’s getting a little crazy up there, LOL

Kamyria

I just got my first brick/cake ever and it happened to be this one… I’m on a second steep and it’s really lovely. I made it a nice home in a cabinet near my books in a bedroom on a second floor. I emptied it especially for the sheng collection I’m about to start… lol hubby has no idea.

dry leaves smell like dried persimmon. gaiwan quick rinse, 5 sec steeps. im afraid if it will go bitter. it does develop orchid notes, creamy. so far its delicious,smooth and sweet. im on my 3rd steep
Later on I decided to add tiny drop of agave syrup. Usually I don’t add any thing to my tea. It transformed into raw juicy sweet orange pepper

Looks like it’s time for a sheng-off. I really don’t want to launch my exhaustive pu-er explorations just yet and really just want to keep one around. I really, really love Mandala’s Wild Monk Sheng Pu’er Mao Cha. And I really, really love this too. This one leaves a trailing sweetness on my tongue, and it’s ’pu’er funk,’ for lack of a better name for that ‘pile of wet leaves’ thing, is lighter than the Wild Monk’s. That isn’t necessarily good or bad. Whatever, it’s wonderful, lovely, and bringing a light, complex, sunny note to my morning.

cryptickoi

piling is only used to ferment shu cha…

Flowery

That’s a flavor note, not a process note. ;)

okay…got it..

From the Pu TTB

This was a nice and very mild sheng. Pretty nice thick mouthfeel in the early steeps. White grape, fresh camphor, grainy, and peppery notes. Starts to thin out pretty early in the later steeps. Despite what I think about Verdant’s marketing I’m yet to have anything that wasn’t good from them.

Flavors: Camphor, Grain, Pepper, Peppercorn, White Grapes

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Damn, this is some good raw.

I was expecting some astringency to wake me up a bit since I’m exhausted from frisbee golf today… but no, there is no astringency. In fact, as weird as this sounds, I am eating chocolate along with it because the texture has a bit of silk/cream to it which is making me one happy happy person.
The leaf is ugly though which made me already think negatively of it, but again… looks are deceiving.

I love surprise sheng from tea friends! I thought I had tried all of this company’s Sheng, but I must have missed this one. I opened up my present and reveled long Maocha consisting of a light pale green with brass and silver streams. The dry leaf carried a strong pipe tobacco scent. I placed these beauties in my warmed yixing and gave them a shake. The aroma became more distinct and a wet forest floor scent mixed in with the tobacco. I brewed up a few cups. The steeped dark leaves gave off a strong tobacco smoke aroma. The flavor was astounding. The initial sip was perfectly smooth and creamy. This reminded me rather of a fresh Ti Guan Yin, rather than that of a Sheng. This unbelievably smooth raw puerh had a slight floral hint of orange blossoms, and this brew gave a tingling astringent tongue feel in the aftertaste. This brew grew deeper with each steeping until about the eighth whereas it went sugary honey sweet. This was a perfect brew for a sunny spring evening. I wasnt able to get more than eleven steepings out of this brew, but it was a delactable treat :)

Flavors: Creamy, Forest Floor, Honey, Orange Blossom, Smooth, Tobacco

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Finally got around to prying a chunk off this brick. Brewed gongfu style. Got some faint smoke in the first three steeps but then it subsided. Camphor, pine, citrus, pepper, and a nice underlying sweetness dominated the first six steeps, yielding to sweetness, slight pepper and a pleasant tartness in the next six. The liquor was a beautiful, clear amber color. Overall a very nice sheng which I’ll drink it sparingly to see how it ages over the coming years.

Flavors: Camphor, Citrus, Pepper, Pine, Smoke, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I haven’t been writing many tea notes lately..I have been drinking tea, but just haven’t felt like logging. Mostly some sipdowns too. But today I feel like I should log this yummy sheng, as it is making my Saturday a good one. The bf got called to work unexpectedly at 6 am, so that kind of threw a wrench in the day/weekend. So I have been brewing this tea with a killer headache (it seems to be helping) and working away outside cleaning up the raspberry patch. A messy, scratchy job but I’m happy it’s done!

Anyways, this tea is light, fresh, fruity, and a bit of a grape flavor today. It could still be the apricot, my allergies are running rampant so I had a pill today and my sinuses are dried up now haha. But this tea is still delicious as always, I see it is now archived on Verdant’s site so probably won’t have a chance to order again once I finish this bag. I should try Master Han’s 2014 to see how it compares one day :) see previous notes on this tea!

Oh, and in entirely unrelated news that I want to share because it makes me happy – we have a robin nesting under our deck right outside the kitchen window! They are in the process of building the nest and have been sitting in it a bit already! I will try to get pictures at some point and post on IG :)

ETA – I found the apricot flavor :) about the 4th or 5th steeping. Sooooo delicious.