Master Han’s 2013 Sheng Pu’er

Pu-erh Tea
Apricot, Honey, Orchids, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by lteg

From Verdant Tea

Master Han picks wild tea trees in the Qianjiazhai region of the Mount Ailao National Forest Preserve, Yunnan. He takes the utmost care to “let the leaves speak,” pressing each batch of leaves differently to bring out their best, either as a looseleaf sheng, a black tea or a pressed cake or ball of tea.

He works his own land, but is part of the Dongsa farmers cooperative. The cooperative does not pool tea for bulk selling, but rather invests in equipment together so that each farmer can produce their own distinct products with a greater degree of ownership.

Master Han is excited to share his fresh 2013 harvest pu’er. This 500g brick is a unique opportunity to taste the pure, bright flavor notes of a young tea that is clean, smooth and absolutely ready to drink.

The aroma is that of grape, orchid and honey- almost more similar to an oolong than a pu’er. The first steepings are astoundingly sweet. The cakey and buttery quality of the tea evokes a red velvet cupcake with buttercream frosting. The crisp florals that come through in the aftertaste are more like Bai Mudan white tea than pu’er.

Later steepings open up immensely, with the initial sweetness transforming into a full-bodied woody brew with tingling textural notes of licorice root, and star anise. Fruity apricot flavor engages the sides of the palate, while nutty creamy amaretto flavor dominates the aftertaste.

About Verdant Tea View company

Ugh I’m sick! I woke up with a bad cold today. So no tasting new teas until my palate recovers. I’ve been drinking this gongfu style from my new adorable tea pot all morning. Amazingly enough I can actually sort of taste the tangy goodness :)

Kamyria

Oh, I ordered this yesterday… can’t wait for it to arrive. I hope you feel better soon!! :)

Stephanie

You will love it! And thanks :D

feel better;)

greenteafairy

I hope you feel better soon!

boooo hope you feel better asap!

I’ve been drinking this all evening. I didn’t read the suggested steeping parameters, so I only used 4G, instead of the recommended 5G. After letting the leaf relax in a prewarmed yixing, it smelled of honey & apricot!! That was enticing! And the tea didn’t disappoint, not at all! I gave a quick rinse, & steeped 5//10/15 sec/ etc all the way up to a minute & a half.
I didn’t document anything about it, but am looking forward to drinking it again.

The main features were a lovely apricot flavor throughout all steeps, a sweet fruit & honey taste as well, & a lingering tangy mouth. I’m no expert, but IMO this is a really lovely sheng. My only complaint, if there is one, is that the paper the brick comes wrapped in is very flimsy, & has already disintegrated on the edges.

Angrboda

G? grams?

K S

Upgraded her I-Pad to 5G. lol

Terri HarpLady

LOL, yeah, Grams (not Gigabytes!)

the mail-dude just dropped this off along with a bing/beeng(however its spelled) of the Tian Di Ren,which I will try later…this is good stuff(like all of the other Master Han creations I’ve had)…it’s sweet,floral and has a nice bitterness if infused a little longer,which I really like…it starts out a little thin but thickens up around the third infusion…110ml gaiwan 8g tea…nice qi too…

boychik

Nice sheng, I like it too. Looking forward to your review of other shu Tian Di Ren

Terri HarpLady

I’m working on the Tian Di Ren as we speak…

Great Terri. I don’t know if I should order. I’m swimming in pu

mrmopar

I am drowning in pu!

cryptickoi

I too have a little bit of it ;)

Terri HarpLady

I was organizing my pu collection earlier. I keep them all in my bedroom on the 3rd floor, as far from the kitchen as possible. It’s getting a little crazy up there, LOL

Kamyria

I just got my first brick/cake ever and it happened to be this one… I’m on a second steep and it’s really lovely. I made it a nice home in a cabinet near my books in a bedroom on a second floor. I emptied it especially for the sheng collection I’m about to start… lol hubby has no idea.

dry leaves smell like dried persimmon. gaiwan quick rinse, 5 sec steeps. im afraid if it will go bitter. it does develop orchid notes, creamy. so far its delicious,smooth and sweet. im on my 3rd steep
Later on I decided to add tiny drop of agave syrup. Usually I don’t add any thing to my tea. It transformed into raw juicy sweet orange pepper

Looks like it’s time for a sheng-off. I really don’t want to launch my exhaustive pu-er explorations just yet and really just want to keep one around. I really, really love Mandala’s Wild Monk Sheng Pu’er Mao Cha. And I really, really love this too. This one leaves a trailing sweetness on my tongue, and it’s ’pu’er funk,’ for lack of a better name for that ‘pile of wet leaves’ thing, is lighter than the Wild Monk’s. That isn’t necessarily good or bad. Whatever, it’s wonderful, lovely, and bringing a light, complex, sunny note to my morning.

cryptickoi

piling is only used to ferment shu cha…

Flowery

That’s a flavor note, not a process note. ;)

okay…got it..

-Preface
Literally my first sheng so no reference point. I remember hearing somewhere shengs under 10 years old are undrinkable so I was bracing myself. I was shocked to see what a difference sheng and shou are in appearance and smell of both dry and wet leaves as well as liqueur, the liqueur was night and day. Onto to the review
-Review
The dry leaves smelt of slight smoky/woodsy/dry like the day after a camp fire. The first few steepings were smokey but not overpowering. Then after a few more the infamous sour/bitterness of young sheng ive been hearing about. It wasn’t as unpleasant as I had imagined, in fact it reminded me of good dark extra virgin fruity olive oil with the same spiciness at the end.
Overall my first sheng experience so cant give a numerical rating but it would not be something I craved normally, It might be something Id reach for after a heavy meal and did not feel like a shou or perhaps paired with fruits for some reason I think it would be good with a bowl of juicy melons(random).

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Mmm… my second time drinking this and I’m loving it more than the first. There is woodiness/smokiness to it that just drives me crazy… I love it! For a second I swear I smelled bacon! What is this? I so intrigued by this tea… It’s floral, it’s fruity, it’s woody and smoky with delicious notes of honey coming through.

I steeped 7 grams in 6 ounces of 95C water for 5/10/10. I’m on the third steep right now and the astringency picked up a bit once the tea cooled but it’s a well balanced astringency, something that I enjoy.

This is some quality sheng. I really want to age this but I’m not sure how long this brick will last.

Flavors: Apricot, Honey, Orchids, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 7 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Stephanie

Shengs are so fascinating :) They’re my new obsession!

Yes, mine too!