Black Rooibos Blend
Black Tea, Organic Cinnamon Pieces, Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Rooibos
Burnt Sugar, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Graham Cracker, Pine, Smoke, Drying, Fruity, Wood, Chocolate, Honey
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “Word to the wise: oversteep this. Just try it. It went from campfire marshmallow dropped in pine needles then carmelized, to all that plus honeyed something-or-other. Now I'm a bit sad that this...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1116 tasting notes
  • “this is very clever. brendan, if your goal is not just to blend a tea then i will state this one an absolute success. let's begin however, with what this is not: it is NOT graham crackers,...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes
  • “We had a great Fourth of July bbq. Lots of food and lots of laughter. Now we're in that quiet time between eating too much and going to watch the fireworks. A perfect time for tea. This is the tea...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 727 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (185) I think I am definitely the majority but I am not loving this one. I am getting woodiness from the rooibos and a bit of smoke so the campfire is definitely present. Unfortunately,...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1922 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This delicious autumn treat brings you to the woods, enjoying fresh s’mores around the fire! We’ve combined our Honey Graham Cracker tea with our dark-chocolaty Fujian Black Tea, added marshmallow root for velvety-sweet marshmallow flavor, and finally sprinkled the lightest touch of our pine-smoked Ashes of Autumn to complete the experience! The final tea is nothing short of smooth s’mores aroma and flavor, perfectly balanced to bring your favorite autumn treat indoors!

Not to mention, this product is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and brews to the perfect autumn orange!

Leaf Amount ::: 1 tablespoon per 8oz water
Water temp ::: 212ºF / 100ºC
1st infusion ::: 4
2nd infusion ::: 5 minutes
3rd infusion ::: 8 minutes

Caffeine Content: Medium-low

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Word to the wise: oversteep this. Just try it. It went from campfire marshmallow dropped in pine needles then carmelized, to all that plus honeyed something-or-other. Now I’m a bit sad that this was a sipdown!

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Pine

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Suziqzer

i can imagine all of that except the pine needles… Sounds like a great Fall blend.

let’s begin however, with what this is not: it is NOT graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate in a tea.

what this is: a snapshot of someone(s) crouched by a campfire, the wind blowing slightly against their favour, trying to pull the roasted marshmallows off their roasting stick without blistering their fingers (they escape mostly unburned, lol).

layers. i really can’t wrap my brain around how you accomplished them.

-i get heat and smoke. they are SEPARATE. and the smoke is not a souchong source. by diagnosis of my tongue it is campfire smoke. the warmth is distinct but seems not to be coming from a spice.

-cinnamon and a cookie qualifier are there… they chime in after the smoke and i would count as layer 2.

-layer 3 is fruit, although very distant and not nameable…. at least not in this first steep.

-4 a softness is beginning to start which i believe will end up as marshmallow.

i don’t know if this is the order that you put them down in, but this is how they manifest for me.

this is an impressive accomplishment. this is less a tea and more a stillframe. and this coming from someone who does NOT particularly favour smoke in tea.

i did amend my methodology given that you are so beautifully purist in your blending brendan: i overleafed (1.5 tbsp) for my 12 oz mug and 2) i used 1 tbsp of coconut sugar. i think the effect is brilliant.

as it cools the warmth is still there, the smoke is SWEETENING, but a charcoal element in also settling in. very, very nicely done.

so if this tea is a memory for you…. let me ask: did your fingers get burned? or was my tongue off? =0)

thanks to MissB for this excellent adventure!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I let my marshmallows catch fire and forgot my s’mores on a hot rock. My tongue was burned yet I managed to save it with some raw honey :)

Glad you enjoyed this memory, James :)

JustJames

so i was in the ballpark, lol. nicely done…. nicely done.

Thanks, James! I’m glad you’ve had a good introduction to WPTC :D

JustJames

and that’s down to your skill set and MissB’s generosity.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:) Thanks for the kind words! And thanks for the kind MissB, too!

We had a great Fourth of July bbq. Lots of food and lots of laughter. Now we’re in that quiet time between eating too much and going to watch the fireworks. A perfect time for tea. This is the tea I had planned to have tonight when we were camping out (stupid rain), so I thought I’d enjoy it now.

I took Miss B’s advice and over steeped this one. I usually steep it for three minutes, but today I went for six. The results are glorious. The chocolate and honey flavors are thick with the graham cracker and marshmallow flavors mixing in layers. One sip I get more graham cracker, the next creamy sweet marshmallow. High yum factor goin’ on here. At the end of the dip I get the smoke and a light taste of pine. It really brings the whole tea together.

I know this is billed as an autumn tea, but for me this tea will always remind me of summer and simple pleasures.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

Oh my goodness, 3 teaspoons?! I will have to keep this in mind, since I just ordered this tea and I can’t wait! :)

Veronica

The directions on the tea say one tablespoon, so yep, three teaspoons. The first time I had this tea I was hesitant to put that much in, but it’s totally worth it! :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This tea has been changed though, so, Cameron, you won’t be getting this version :)

Cameron B.

Thanks for the heads up! I generally do what the package says anyway, at least the first time around. :)

TheTeaFairy

CAN’T WAIT to try new version, less smoke is gonna work even better for me!!!

1922 tasting notes

Sipdown!! (185)

I think I am definitely the majority but I am not loving this one. I am getting woodiness from the rooibos and a bit of smoke so the campfire is definitely present. Unfortunately, I am searching but can’t find my s’more. There might be a bit of malt from the black base but it is not the creamy milk chocolate my s’mores have and it is lacking the marshmallow sweetness. I am grateful that I did not need to order a full 2 oz as I surely would have been disappointed. You never know unless you try though so thank you MissB for giving me the opportunity to try this one. If nothing else, you satisfied my curiosity and saved me some money :)

MissB

Exactly! This is why I love swaps. :)

VariaTEA

It definitely paid off in this case. Plus, it was an easy sipdown so I didn’t have to go through many cups of something I felt was just okay. Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you SO much Veronica! I get to try this one! I’ve been known to eat the occasional microwave s’more for breakfast, so there you go. The steeping instructions say three teaspoons (one tablespoon)! Wow! My sample has four teaspoons, so I went with two teaspoons for this steeping session, so I’d have enough for another cup later on.

Steep #1 // just boiled // 4 min
This is lovely and delicious, but I wouldn’t call it S’mores. It has a nice sweet smokiness, which is the strongest note. There is a hint of chocolate from the black tea, as some Fujian black teas have, but I think other tea drinkers notice that more than I do. I wish there was MORE mallow root here, as I wish there were more teas that used it anyway. But the flavor is sweet and smoky.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 7 min
This cup is nice but even less like S’mores. Maybe it’s my fault for not using enough leaves. I like that it’s a rustic, actual campfire blend that could translate to S’mores (without all the fake ingredients that Whispering Pines doesn’t use). I always wanted a smoky S’mores though, and this is certainly perfect on the sweet smokiness level. I appreciate Whispering Pines’ blending skills… I certainly couldn’t do it! Oh it is just making me miss autumn… I’m sick of winter and it’s not even January yet. Tea makes it a little better.

Oh no! I am now confused and afraid. I ordered this, and it doesn’t say it has rooibus on the Whispering Pines website, but it does say it on Steepster. I am assuming/hoping the website is correct. I can’t drink Rooibos. sadface It hurts me.

I’m staring at my cup wondering if I should drink it now. Made a whole pot :(

The leaves are cool looking. It looks like someone spilled tea on the floor of a woodworker’s shop, and then swept it up and decided to brew it anyway. But in a good way. A much better way than that sounds.

The couple sips I have had taste good…

Blodeuyn

I don’t recall there being rooibos in this. The tea’s picture looks to be rooibos-free as well. Maybe Brendan can confirm for us. :)

Skulleigh

Yeah, the leaves don’t really look like it has it. But a couple of reviews mention the taste of rooibus. I’m wondering if it maybe got reformulated at some point…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

If you ordered this withinnthenpast ~3 months, no rooibos :)

Skulleigh

Yay! Thank you! Now I can drink without fear!
Also… thanks, my douchebag brain for the psychosomatic stomach cramps after the few sips I had… ’preciate that. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Haha, brains can do some weird stuff!

I’m trying to phase out all rooibos. If the website doesn’t mention it, it’s definitely not in there. Also, the website is generally more current with other things like steeping parameters and other such things.

Just wait until the new website launches…hehehe

Blodeuyn

New website?? :D

Skulleigh

lol, I figured your website would be the most accurate, but I am a software QA tester by profession, so I know how browsers can sometimes not display info correctly or at all in some cases. I figured it would be just my luck to run into some browser issue that was hiding an ingredient from me :D I have talent for breaking things that I have at least managed to turn into gainful employment!

Hope your website re-launch goes smoothly!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ahh fun fun :-) Yeah I’ve run into a few little issues along the way but my hope is that by rewriting it all myself and thus owning the code rather than being a “software hosted” site, I can figure out and fix the issues myself without having to wait days for a technician to get around to it. I’ve had a disappearing cart issue on my current platform that has lost me a large amount of orders…5 months later they still haven’t figured it out. Time to switch :P

Ohhhhh, that explains it. I finally tried this one over the weekend. I didn’t know what it was but that something in the blend didn’t agree with me. It is icky icky rooibos! My archnemesis!!! Sorry Marzipan and thanks for the sample. I’ve got a couple of cups left, if anyone would like them.

Cheri

This is one I’d like to try, if you want to share. Let me know if I have anything in my cupboard that interests you. (I do think that Brenden has eliminated rooibos from this blend now, but originally it was there.)

Cameron B.

I have the “new” version which is sans rooibos, if either of you want to try that. :)

Stephanie

I’ll totally send it to you, Cheri! Let me know if anything else in my cupboard appeals to you. I’ve got a couple of things on your wish list I could send along, too. PM me! :)

Thanks!

Marzipan

No wonder I wasn’t a fan! I hate that both of those that I bought not so long ago already have new and improved versions. I mean it’s good that they do, but …you know.

Stephanie

Yeah, darned rooibos! Bleh.

Sarsonator

Rooibos haters of the world, unite!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Improvements are a non-stop thing! I’ve given up entirely on the concept of “finishing” a blend. ;-)

Stephanie

Well, SOME people actually do like rooibos, from what I understand, heh.

Marzipan

Poo – bios

Cheri

(I kinda like it. Shh. Don’t tell.)

Sarsonator

I don’t mind it. I guess I can take it or leave it

TheTeaFairy included a sample of this in the last box I received from her. Thank you so much.
Smokey cinnamon rooibos – sorry this didn’t really work for me. Will add more marshmallow root and less tea next time – maybe even lower water temp. This needs to be played with for my tastes…..

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This has been changed from what you’re drinking. No more rooibos and a lot less smoke :)

YAY WHISPERING PINES ORDER! I was getting upset when I thought it wouldn’t come today, but it turns out the mailman just felt like being FIVE HOURS LATE. Come on, man! But seriously, I wonder what happened there… Anyway, this was definitely the first tea to try! I’ve already tried half of the teas I’ve ordered thanks to Nicole and my badly-timed sample order. This tea is very outdoorsy-looking. There’s bark and fluffy white things in there! Clearly it is mountain man tea. It smells quite smoky, and I was surprised by the amount of cinnamon. There’s cocoa in there too, of course.

The smoke aroma is much milder in the brewed tea. And there’s definitely a burnt sugar element (hello, marshmallow!) along with cocoa and spice. The smoke is quite strong in the taste! It blends very nicely with the cinnamon and in turn it becomes sweeter and less harsh. I immediately pick up on the graham cracker in this, so much that I had to check and make sure there wasn’t a Yunnan tea in here. There’s a nice unsweetened cocoa note that stands in for the chocolate, and I get a light sweetness at the end of the sip that, combined with the smoke, could definitely be a charred marshmallow. The aftertaste is refreshing, cooling pine.

Overall, I do get how this is similar to a s’more. But it’s definitely a s’more with bittersweet chocolate and a charred marshmallow. And it needed a little touch of sugar to really connect for me. I can’t wait to try Pine Peak Keemun and then try to identify which teas are providing which flavors in this (obviously the smoke is from the lapsang, and I would assume the cocoa is the Fujian, but what about the graham cracker?).

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Graham Cracker, Pine, Smoke

Whispering Pines Tea Company

The graham cracker is magic ;)

MzPriss

Great note!

Cameron B.

Brenden, Pine Peak Keemun will be first thing tomorrow morning! I will unravel the magic!

MzPriss, thank you. I try but I find I don’t have a lot of personality when I write. I’m a very technical writer. :P

MzPriss

Cameron – I LOVE your notes! They always give a great sense of what the tea tastes like and I really don’t see why you think you don’t have a lot of personality in them because that isn’t my experience – they’re great!

kimquat

Yeah, I’ve got to agree with MzPriss here. You’re outnumbered!

YOU’LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE! :D

Received two servings of the old blend from Veronica. I must say, I’m not a fan. I tried a 3min steep with the first sample, then the 8min steep that MissB recommended with the second one. Neither one was a hit with me. Brewed up, it smells promising. It smells like graham crackers, smoke, and fruit (likely from the rooibos). Sadly the taste doesn’t match. It’s a little smokey, a little malty, and a lot of woodsy-fruity rooibos.

…I think that’s my main issue. I don’t really like rooibos but when I drink it, I want it to be matched with fruit or cream flavors to temper the weirdly drying wood flavor it has. To me, those are the more effective rooibos blends. I DEFINITELY don’t like it to be blended with actual tea, and to blend it with a smokey tea was just courting disaster. This cup tastes like burning wood, fruit, and dryness. Bleh. Not for me. And NOT s’mores. ):

I’m holding out hope for the new blend, though. I really like the base tea December, plus there’s marshmallow and cinnamon! And more importantly—NO rooibos!

Flavors: Drying, Fruity, Smoke, Wood

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Do you have some of the new blend on the way?

kimquat

I don’t. I was going to get it with the next order, since I forgot it on the order I placed a few days ago. And I was just thinking about sending you an email…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hmmm, would you like this as your sample?

Also December has changed too :) it’s way good

kimquat

I would love to try a sample of the new blend! S’mores, that is. (:
How is the old December different from the new?