Black Rooibos Blend
Black Tea, Organic Cinnamon Pieces, Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Rooibos
Burnt Sugar, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Graham Cracker, Pine, Smoke, Drying, Fruity, Wood, Chocolate, Honey
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “Word to the wise: oversteep this. Just try it. It went from campfire marshmallow dropped in pine needles then carmelized, to all that plus honeyed something-or-other. Now I'm a bit sad that this...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1108 tasting notes
  • “this is very clever. brendan, if your goal is not just to blend a tea then i will state this one an absolute success. let's begin however, with what this is not: it is NOT graham crackers,...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 377 tasting notes
  • “We had a great Fourth of July bbq. Lots of food and lots of laughter. Now we're in that quiet time between eating too much and going to watch the fireworks. A perfect time for tea. This is the tea...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 649 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (185) I think I am definitely the majority but I am not loving this one. I am getting woodiness from the rooibos and a bit of smoke so the campfire is definitely present. Unfortunately,...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1849 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This delicious autumn treat brings you to the woods, enjoying fresh s’mores around the fire! We’ve combined our Honey Graham Cracker tea with our dark-chocolaty Fujian Black Tea, added marshmallow root for velvety-sweet marshmallow flavor, and finally sprinkled the lightest touch of our pine-smoked Ashes of Autumn to complete the experience! The final tea is nothing short of smooth s’mores aroma and flavor, perfectly balanced to bring your favorite autumn treat indoors!

Not to mention, this product is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and brews to the perfect autumn orange!

Leaf Amount ::: 1 tablespoon per 8oz water
Water temp ::: 212ºF / 100ºC
1st infusion ::: 4
2nd infusion ::: 5 minutes
3rd infusion ::: 8 minutes

Caffeine Content: Medium-low

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Word to the wise: oversteep this. Just try it. It went from campfire marshmallow dropped in pine needles then carmelized, to all that plus honeyed something-or-other. Now I’m a bit sad that this was a sipdown!

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Pine

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Suziqzer

i can imagine all of that except the pine needles… Sounds like a great Fall blend.

let’s begin however, with what this is not: it is NOT graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate in a tea.

what this is: a snapshot of someone(s) crouched by a campfire, the wind blowing slightly against their favour, trying to pull the roasted marshmallows off their roasting stick without blistering their fingers (they escape mostly unburned, lol).

layers. i really can’t wrap my brain around how you accomplished them.

-i get heat and smoke. they are SEPARATE. and the smoke is not a souchong source. by diagnosis of my tongue it is campfire smoke. the warmth is distinct but seems not to be coming from a spice.

-cinnamon and a cookie qualifier are there… they chime in after the smoke and i would count as layer 2.

-layer 3 is fruit, although very distant and not nameable…. at least not in this first steep.

-4 a softness is beginning to start which i believe will end up as marshmallow.

i don’t know if this is the order that you put them down in, but this is how they manifest for me.

this is an impressive accomplishment. this is less a tea and more a stillframe. and this coming from someone who does NOT particularly favour smoke in tea.

i did amend my methodology given that you are so beautifully purist in your blending brendan: i overleafed (1.5 tbsp) for my 12 oz mug and 2) i used 1 tbsp of coconut sugar. i think the effect is brilliant.

as it cools the warmth is still there, the smoke is SWEETENING, but a charcoal element in also settling in. very, very nicely done.

so if this tea is a memory for you…. let me ask: did your fingers get burned? or was my tongue off? =0)

thanks to MissB for this excellent adventure!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I let my marshmallows catch fire and forgot my s’mores on a hot rock. My tongue was burned yet I managed to save it with some raw honey :)

Glad you enjoyed this memory, James :)

JustJames

so i was in the ballpark, lol. nicely done…. nicely done.

Thanks, James! I’m glad you’ve had a good introduction to WPTC :D

JustJames

and that’s down to your skill set and MissB’s generosity.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:) Thanks for the kind words! And thanks for the kind MissB, too!

We had a great Fourth of July bbq. Lots of food and lots of laughter. Now we’re in that quiet time between eating too much and going to watch the fireworks. A perfect time for tea. This is the tea I had planned to have tonight when we were camping out (stupid rain), so I thought I’d enjoy it now.

I took Miss B’s advice and over steeped this one. I usually steep it for three minutes, but today I went for six. The results are glorious. The chocolate and honey flavors are thick with the graham cracker and marshmallow flavors mixing in layers. One sip I get more graham cracker, the next creamy sweet marshmallow. High yum factor goin’ on here. At the end of the dip I get the smoke and a light taste of pine. It really brings the whole tea together.

I know this is billed as an autumn tea, but for me this tea will always remind me of summer and simple pleasures.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

Oh my goodness, 3 teaspoons?! I will have to keep this in mind, since I just ordered this tea and I can’t wait! :)

Veronica

The directions on the tea say one tablespoon, so yep, three teaspoons. The first time I had this tea I was hesitant to put that much in, but it’s totally worth it! :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This tea has been changed though, so, Cameron, you won’t be getting this version :)

Cameron B.

Thanks for the heads up! I generally do what the package says anyway, at least the first time around. :)

TheTeaFairy

CAN’T WAIT to try new version, less smoke is gonna work even better for me!!!

Sipdown!! (185)

I think I am definitely the majority but I am not loving this one. I am getting woodiness from the rooibos and a bit of smoke so the campfire is definitely present. Unfortunately, I am searching but can’t find my s’more. There might be a bit of malt from the black base but it is not the creamy milk chocolate my s’mores have and it is lacking the marshmallow sweetness. I am grateful that I did not need to order a full 2 oz as I surely would have been disappointed. You never know unless you try though so thank you MissB for giving me the opportunity to try this one. If nothing else, you satisfied my curiosity and saved me some money :)

MissB

Exactly! This is why I love swaps. :)

VariaTEA

It definitely paid off in this case. Plus, it was an easy sipdown so I didn’t have to go through many cups of something I felt was just okay. Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you SO much Veronica! I get to try this one! I’ve been known to eat the occasional microwave s’more for breakfast, so there you go. The steeping instructions say three teaspoons (one tablespoon)! Wow! My sample has four teaspoons, so I went with two teaspoons for this steeping session, so I’d have enough for another cup later on.

Steep #1 // just boiled // 4 min
This is lovely and delicious, but I wouldn’t call it S’mores. It has a nice sweet smokiness, which is the strongest note. There is a hint of chocolate from the black tea, as some Fujian black teas have, but I think other tea drinkers notice that more than I do. I wish there was MORE mallow root here, as I wish there were more teas that used it anyway. But the flavor is sweet and smoky.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 7 min
This cup is nice but even less like S’mores. Maybe it’s my fault for not using enough leaves. I like that it’s a rustic, actual campfire blend that could translate to S’mores (without all the fake ingredients that Whispering Pines doesn’t use). I always wanted a smoky S’mores though, and this is certainly perfect on the sweet smokiness level. I appreciate Whispering Pines’ blending skills… I certainly couldn’t do it! Oh it is just making me miss autumn… I’m sick of winter and it’s not even January yet. Tea makes it a little better.

TheTeaFairy included a sample of this in the last box I received from her. Thank you so much.
Smokey cinnamon rooibos – sorry this didn’t really work for me. Will add more marshmallow root and less tea next time – maybe even lower water temp. This needs to be played with for my tastes…..

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This has been changed from what you’re drinking. No more rooibos and a lot less smoke :)

Received two servings of the old blend from Veronica. I must say, I’m not a fan. I tried a 3min steep with the first sample, then the 8min steep that MissB recommended with the second one. Neither one was a hit with me. Brewed up, it smells promising. It smells like graham crackers, smoke, and fruit (likely from the rooibos). Sadly the taste doesn’t match. It’s a little smokey, a little malty, and a lot of woodsy-fruity rooibos.

…I think that’s my main issue. I don’t really like rooibos but when I drink it, I want it to be matched with fruit or cream flavors to temper the weirdly drying wood flavor it has. To me, those are the more effective rooibos blends. I DEFINITELY don’t like it to be blended with actual tea, and to blend it with a smokey tea was just courting disaster. This cup tastes like burning wood, fruit, and dryness. Bleh. Not for me. And NOT s’mores. ):

I’m holding out hope for the new blend, though. I really like the base tea December, plus there’s marshmallow and cinnamon! And more importantly—NO rooibos!

Flavors: Drying, Fruity, Smoke, Wood

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Do you have some of the new blend on the way?

kimquat

I don’t. I was going to get it with the next order, since I forgot it on the order I placed a few days ago. And I was just thinking about sending you an email…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hmmm, would you like this as your sample?

Also December has changed too :) it’s way good

kimquat

I would love to try a sample of the new blend! S’mores, that is. (:
How is the old December different from the new?

This morning’s project was S’mores with S’mores tea! I think it was a huge success!

I used 1 tbsp of tea per cup, 208 degrees, and steeped longer this time (5 min). I added about 1/2 tbsp of cacao nibs to the steep also, because why not?

I used salted chocolate for the actual s’mores, and since I am not camping and don’t have a gas stove, I toasted the marshmallows in the oven. Broil on high, ONE min per side. Seriously, time it.

I melted the chocolate on a graham cracker for about a min in the micro. That was too long. 30 secs should do it. It may not look completely melted, but it continues to melt after it comes out. Don’t ask me how I know.

The tea and s’mores are amazing together. Salty sweet chocolate smokey creamy goodness.

I had some extra marshmallows, so I threw one in each cup of tea. They weren’t melting fast, so I just put the marshmallow in my mouth and drank the tea. Yumz.

Here are pics of the operation:

MzPriss

Oh yum! Those look awesome! And I love your Weeping Angel mug. I love the ones I got from that lady – I got a baby sloth doing yoga and a Ganesh. sigh I want s’mores now.

Sarsonator

I’m such a dork with that mug. I have one at work, and one here. Exactly the same. It is my fave mug for sure, LOL. I really love her work, but I don’t think I’d ever use another mug now. :p

Come over and I’ll make ya some s’mores :)

MzPriss

BTW – your tea should be there tomorrow…

MzPriss

I’m a dork with all of my tea stuff.

Sarsonator

That is super. Thanks for sharing! I hope your trip went well. Are you home now?

Kaylee

Those look fabulous.

Is that the BonaVita gooseneck kettle? How do you like it? I was looking at one but I worry that the long spout would lower the water temp between the time it leaves the main pot and enters my mug.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Haha this is awesome :) Do you mind if I share one of these photos on my Facebook page?

Sarsonator

Kaylee: It is, and it’s the love of my life. Don’t tell my boyfriend, though I suspect he already knows. I haven’t noticed any temp issues. If you were concerned, you could always add a degree or 2 to compensate. That is the greatest thing about this kettle. If you’d like 178 or 207 degrees, instead of the standard presets, you can have exactly that!

Brenden: I never deny photo usage to tea mixologists. Feel free! :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yay! :) Thanks so much! And I totally thought I was following you already. Weird…

MzPriss

Yes, I’m home and my trip went fine, thanks for asking. I travel a lot for work and also for pleasure – this was a work one. I hope you like the Zhu Rong. You too Brenden.

Sarsonator

IOU some tea, MzPriss, so if you see anything you like in my notes or stash, let me know! :)

Terri HarpLady

Hahaha, s’mores tea & S’mores at the same time, now that’s true decadence!
I have that exact same kettle in my office, & I SO love it! My old electric kettle is around the corner in the kitchen, & it’s great for when I first wake up & want a full boil, but I love the variable temp so much.

yyz

Awesome, now I crave them as well. Maybe I’ll bring them up North next weekend!

whatshesaid

Nice idea! I will have to try this tea at some point.
We have the same kettle! :)

Sarsonator

I’m actually already nearly out of the s’mores tea, so I have to order more soon. See what you started, Brenden!

Variable temp, FTW!!!!!! I wish it had a bell though, so it would ding when it’s done!

Skulleigh

Yum!
Don’t tell anyone, but I kind of wish my kettle would die so I could get a new one :D It’s finicky about letting you do variable temp and the buzzer is just annoying. Does the Bonvita have an annoying beep?

Terri HarpLady

no beep on the Bonvita
I was able to get one because one of my sons gave me aa Amazon gift card for my Bday back in January

Skulleigh

Oh good. I will put it on my Amazon wish list for when this one dies. Mine is a black & decker one, and the beep sounds like a server hardware error warning, so it gives the husbeast a twist.

Sarsonator

The Bonavita is totally quiet. Too quiet, maybe. I think it’s up to something….

soooo i think i have more of this coming my way via 221….this sample though was from cavocorax and let me tell you..NOT.A.FAN. those who know me, know that i like a little smoke in my tea. This for sure has this, but outside of that, this was like a soapy weird gross smokey tea. There was no graham taste..or marshmallow or chocolate…just smoke that was REALLY nice…followed by soap. blech. if 221 does send me more, i’m hoping that it will be a bit tastier, or that i can coax a little more out of it…

TheTeaFairy

Lol, I hate smoke, and somehow, I really like it :-) lol, I was at a bonfire the night I drank it, maybe I was just swallowing real smoke along with it!

i love it in teas and when camping… as long as it’s coming from a fire and not cigarettes lol

It a rainy day…non stop showers. I know it’s not recommended, but I can’t help it, I went for a swim, it was so invigorating! But now I am freezing to death, water is still at a chilling 67F!!!

I thought S’mores would make me feel warm and cozy inside.

So, you know when I have a new favourite teaware, that’s all I can talk about…sorry if I’m being annoying with…my new 24oz latte mug!!!

I don’t even drink milk, I know…but I like a big cup sometimes! I also love the new vegetal milks I have discovered lately and have been experimenting with them. My newfound love: quinoa milk. So creamy and nutty, without any of the dairy cow milk taste I dislike so much, especially in hot beverages.

So why not try S’mores as a latte and make it a little “chai-esque”?

It’s a hit. Oh, yum. That smoke against the nuttiness of the milk makes it really s’mores graham cookie like!

It’s already the end though, sad face, I’m all out now :-(

On to the repurchasing list it goes!

Oh, and I feel all warmed up now :-)

Cheri

What mug is this new mug? pictures &/or link?

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Cheri, don’t we like pictures? Look at my post this morning in the what did you get in the mail thread. In the last link, you’ll see my new teaware. “the mug” is in the middle of the pic, it’s very plain looking but I love the shape and size!! And the best part was the discounted price: $7,50!!!

Cameron B.

It’s the new fairy jacuzzi mug! Lol. This tea is at the top of my list for my Whispering Pines order…

mj

I actually really love swimming in the rain :-). When I was little, my mom used to have to chase me out of the pool once it started thundering. Obviously, I wasn’t too bright lol

TheTeaFairy

Oh, a fairy jacuzzi, me like that :-)
Hope you will like this one cameron, it truly is a different take on s’mores…I thought I wouldn’t like it cause of the smoke but it turns out the smoke is the reason I like it!

Cheri

I love huge mugs. But now I’m also loving teeny tiny cups.

Cameron B.

I just tried their Campfire Blend, which was very smokey, and I liked it a lot. My first smokey tea. :P So I think I would really enjoy this one. :D

Cavocorax

Oooh now I sorta wish I’d grabbed one too, but cupboard space is so limited. :| I ended up getting rid of two mugs to fit my new tentacle mug!

Lol, mj, I’m still lacking in the bright department apparently :-0
Seriously though, it wasn’t thundering, so I took a chance!

TheTeaFairy

Cheri, I so love tiny cups but only for gungfu sessions…

Cameron, yes I remember reading your post, I didn’t have campfire blend yet, so I can’t compare, but I’m assuming Brenden is using the same Lapsang in both blends, so yes, you’d probably like it then :-)

Cavo, I too will have to get rid of some mugs, no room for the new teaware…but that’s ok, I like to gift people with them. The tentacle mug is awesome :-)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ohhh man…one of my favorite things: Sitting outside in the fall when it’s just a tad too chilly to not have tea, sipping on a heavy mug of strong yunnan black tea or lapsang :)

albertocanfly

Huge mugs of giant proportions really are awesome! It’s like a never ending cup of happiness^.^

TheTeaFairy

I think early fall is my favourite part of the year…everything is perfect, no more mosquitos, fresh air but not too cold, colours changing…ok, but lets have a summer before we start talking about autumn :-)

Sarsonator

Quinoa milk???? I want that.

My current fave is the almond/coconut blend. But I am determined to find some quinoa milk now!

TheTeaFairy

Sarsonator, I found it last week at my local health food store. They even have sunflower seed milk, which is also very nutty.

But I too adore the almond/coconut milk, but with all these new choices, it’s nice to be able change things up a little :-)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

The almond coconut is also my favorite :)

No health food stores anywhere near me…guess I just have to use the forest! :D

TheTeaFairy

Oh, I’m sure you can find a way to make some kind of extra special mushroom/bark forest milk :-)

Sarsonator

Hahahaha!!! Mushroom bark forest milk??? I want that!

Sarsonator

What about a Mushroom bark forest tea? It could be called: Autumn Fungus or Midnight Morel Madness. LOL

TheTeaFairy

:-) Oh, oh, I think we’re on to something!!!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Funny you should mention that…I had chaga-infused rice milk last week :)

TheTeaFairy

Did you really? Isn’t that the mushroom that grows on tree bark? It’s actually edible?
See, you did make your own bark forest milk ;-)

mj

If the zombie apocalypse happens, it seems like Brendan would be an extremely useful guy to have around with his living-off-the-land-eating-tree-mushroom skills.

Sarsonator

Maybe we should start a Zombie Apocalypse Tea survival group. I garden, forage for wild food, and make beer & wine. Brenden lives off the land and eats tree mushrooms. What else have we got? LOL

mj

I’m in for the survival group. I’ll be bringing my friend and neighbor because she is super outdoorsy (like 2 week long camping trip outdoorsy) and has all the equipment. I’ve also already claimed her as one my zombie survival teammates. I bring to the table relatively few useful practical skills, except sailing a boat, swimming well, cooking decently, fishing, sewing, crocheting, and knitting. All my other skills are lab-related.

mj

I should add that I’m not a complete nut job. I own The Walking Dead board game. My friends and I discuss silly hypotheticals while we play haha

TheTeaFairy

Oh, i can negotiate with the wild life, I have Dr, Doolittle skills, no wild critter can resist me, so we can be safe from bears, wolves and coyotes. In fact, we can make them our friends and have them fight the zombies for us :-) Ducks seem to particularly like me, so we could have fresh duck eggs every morning and i could make us some mean omelet as breakefast. Also, I can make fire. Just sayin…

TheTeaFairy

Lol, mj, your crocheting, sewing and knitting skills will be very helpful, you could create decent Pocahontas outfits, I always wanted to of wear one of those :-)

mj

I could probably handle Pocahontas outfits lol. Also, I may or may not have been Tiger Lily from Peter Pan for Halloween for three consecutive years as a kid. So I’ve got a basic idea of the pattern…

TheTeaFairy

Hahaha! “may or may not have been..”

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yep, Chaga is 100% edible. Well, with water or alcohol extraction. It’s considered “the mushroom of immortality” and is used extensively in Chinese medicine. It goes by the name Bai Hua Rong I believe in Chinese medicine, and is considered the king of all healing herbs. Basically if you drink chaga tea every day, you’ll stay at a VERY low risk or be totally immune to cancer cells, your immune system will be godly, and your overall health will increase dramatically. I’m a huge believer in the stuff. I drink it daily along with reishi and turkey tail mushrooms, too. Goes beautifully boiled with some elderberries and black tea.

Mandy

I don’t like mushrooms for texture reasons, but I wonder how I’d feel about a mushroom tea. Hmm..