Black Rooibos Blend
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

2 Images

• “Word to the wise: oversteep this. Just try it. It went from campfire marshmallow dropped in pine needles then carmelized, to all that plus honeyed something-or-other. Now I'm a bit sad that this...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 932 tasting notes
  • “this is very clever. brendan, if your goal is not just to blend a tea then i will state this one an absolute success. let's begin however, with what this is not: it is NOT graham crackers,...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 342 tasting notes
  • “Hello Steepster peeps. I've missed you. I ended up getting a nasty case of pneumonia that culminated in a short stay in the hospital. Not fun. Even after I got home I spent most of my time sleeping...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 462 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (185) I think I am definitely the majority but I am not loving this one. I am getting woodiness from the rooibos and a bit of smoke so the campfire is definitely present. Unfortunately,...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1338 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

This delicious autumn treat brings you to the woods, enjoying fresh s’mores around the fire! We’ve combined our Honey Graham Cracker tea with our dark-chocolaty Fujian Black Tea, added marshmallow root for velvety-sweet marshmallow flavor, and finally sprinkled the lightest touch of our pine-smoked Ashes of Autumn to complete the experience! The final tea is nothing short of smooth s’mores aroma and flavor, perfectly balanced to bring your favorite autumn treat indoors!

Not to mention, this product is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and brews to the perfect autumn orange!

Leaf Amount ::: 1 tablespoon per 8oz water
Water temp ::: 212ºF / 100ºC
1st infusion ::: 4
2nd infusion ::: 5 minutes
3rd infusion ::: 8 minutes

Caffeine Content: Medium-low

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Word to the wise: oversteep this. Just try it. It went from campfire marshmallow dropped in pine needles then carmelized, to all that plus honeyed something-or-other. Now I’m a bit sad that this was a sipdown!

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Pine

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Suziqzer

i can imagine all of that except the pine needles… Sounds like a great Fall blend.

let’s begin however, with what this is not: it is NOT graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate in a tea.

what this is: a snapshot of someone(s) crouched by a campfire, the wind blowing slightly against their favour, trying to pull the roasted marshmallows off their roasting stick without blistering their fingers (they escape mostly unburned, lol).

layers. i really can’t wrap my brain around how you accomplished them.

-i get heat and smoke. they are SEPARATE. and the smoke is not a souchong source. by diagnosis of my tongue it is campfire smoke. the warmth is distinct but seems not to be coming from a spice.

-cinnamon and a cookie qualifier are there… they chime in after the smoke and i would count as layer 2.

-layer 3 is fruit, although very distant and not nameable…. at least not in this first steep.

-4 a softness is beginning to start which i believe will end up as marshmallow.

i don’t know if this is the order that you put them down in, but this is how they manifest for me.

this is an impressive accomplishment. this is less a tea and more a stillframe. and this coming from someone who does NOT particularly favour smoke in tea.

i did amend my methodology given that you are so beautifully purist in your blending brendan: i overleafed (1.5 tbsp) for my 12 oz mug and 2) i used 1 tbsp of coconut sugar. i think the effect is brilliant.

as it cools the warmth is still there, the smoke is SWEETENING, but a charcoal element in also settling in. very, very nicely done.

so if this tea is a memory for you…. let me ask: did your fingers get burned? or was my tongue off? =0)

thanks to MissB for this excellent adventure!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I let my marshmallows catch fire and forgot my s’mores on a hot rock. My tongue was burned yet I managed to save it with some raw honey :)

Glad you enjoyed this memory, James :)

JustJames

so i was in the ballpark, lol. nicely done…. nicely done.

Thanks, James! I’m glad you’ve had a good introduction to WPTC :D

JustJames

and that’s down to your skill set and MissB’s generosity.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:) Thanks for the kind words! And thanks for the kind MissB, too!

Hello Steepster peeps. I’ve missed you. I ended up getting a nasty case of pneumonia that culminated in a short stay in the hospital. Not fun. Even after I got home I spent most of my time sleeping and recovering, so it’s nice to feel like I’m back in the land of the living. I’d much rather be here with a nice cup of tea in my hand while reading all of your lovely tea notes.

Speaking of tea, I’m still loving this one. The warm sweetness, the dark chocolate note, the honey is all wonderful. The first cup had lot more graham cracker flavor than I remember from previous cups, but it was really nice. The second steep offered more of a balance and all of the layers that I love so much. This is exactly what I wanted. So good!

Anna

So nice to have you back, and good to hear you’re feeling better!

Veronica

Thanks!

caile

Glad you’re feeling better!!

Kirlika

Pneumonia sucks! It’s great that you’re doing better now, just don’t push yourself too much!

Anna

Someone else had pneumonia… Ysaurella, I think. Plus something like eight of my friends, my dentist, and my friend’s dog.

Veronica

It sucks, and it totally wipes you out. My house is tiny, and I was exhausted walking from my bedroom to the living room.

Anna, I hope all of your friends – and the poor dog!- get better soon. And I hope Ysaurella is ok!!!

Sipdown!! (185)

I think I am definitely the majority but I am not loving this one. I am getting woodiness from the rooibos and a bit of smoke so the campfire is definitely present. Unfortunately, I am searching but can’t find my s’more. There might be a bit of malt from the black base but it is not the creamy milk chocolate my s’mores have and it is lacking the marshmallow sweetness. I am grateful that I did not need to order a full 2 oz as I surely would have been disappointed. You never know unless you try though so thank you MissB for giving me the opportunity to try this one. If nothing else, you satisfied my curiosity and saved me some money :)

MissB

Exactly! This is why I love swaps. :)

VariaTEA

It definitely paid off in this case. Plus, it was an easy sipdown so I didn’t have to go through many cups of something I felt was just okay. Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you SO much Veronica! I get to try this one! I’ve been known to eat the occasional microwave s’more for breakfast, so there you go. The steeping instructions say three teaspoons (one tablespoon)! Wow! My sample has four teaspoons, so I went with two teaspoons for this steeping session, so I’d have enough for another cup later on.

Steep #1 // just boiled // 4 min
This is lovely and delicious, but I wouldn’t call it S’mores. It has a nice sweet smokiness, which is the strongest note. There is a hint of chocolate from the black tea, as some Fujian black teas have, but I think other tea drinkers notice that more than I do. I wish there was MORE mallow root here, as I wish there were more teas that used it anyway. But the flavor is sweet and smoky.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 7 min
This cup is nice but even less like S’mores. Maybe it’s my fault for not using enough leaves. I like that it’s a rustic, actual campfire blend that could translate to S’mores (without all the fake ingredients that Whispering Pines doesn’t use). I always wanted a smoky S’mores though, and this is certainly perfect on the sweet smokiness level. I appreciate Whispering Pines’ blending skills… I certainly couldn’t do it! Oh it is just making me miss autumn… I’m sick of winter and it’s not even January yet. Tea makes it a little better.