Herbal Tea
Mint, Sweet, Cinnamon, Pastries, Black Currant, Caramel, Maple, Maple Syrup, Berries, Marshmallow, Roasted, Berry, Clove
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
This tea was inspired by a peaceful full-moon walk through freshly fallen snow in the middle of a dense Michigan forest. With a thick heavy body and spicy warming notes throughout, this herbal tea is very relaxing and a perfect nighttime tea during the colder winter months.

Notes
Elderberry
Cinnamon
Roasty
Warmth
Marshmallow
Lemon

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves

Organic Lemon Balm

Caffeine Content
Caffeine-free!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I’m at the point now where I’m deciding which tea to drink because it’s literally hitting me on the head when I open my cupboard. This was the first decaf that came tumbling down, and thus I prepped it for drinking.

I underleafed this significantly based on what the website says (1/2 tb per 8 ounces) vs. what my package said (1 tsp per 8 ounces). As I always use the package instructions when steeping (if there are any), I went with 1 tsp – and it seems just peachy at that amount.

This tea reminds me of a hike in dense, moist, cooler underbrush like at Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island, where I come to a clearing of cinnamon bushes. Seriously. That’s what this tea is to me.

There’s something spicy in there, and I had to double check that this wasn’t a chai initially, because it easily could be. Strong cinnamon flavor with spice, perhaps minty, green, almost pine-like, and then something sweet in there too. I can, and have, easily downed two cups of this unsweetened with CelebriTEA’s turkey tea cups she sent me, and will finish off this sample size with two more cups to go.

A lovely cool weather drink that reminds you how toasty it is inside while still appreciating the majestic outdoors.

Dexter

LOL you know you’re addicted to tea when….you choose which tea to drink by which fall out of the cabinet. You’re funny…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

most likely what you’re tasting that seems spicy is the tulsi and the sweetness is coming from the elder berries, cinnamon, and lemon balm :) glad you liked this!

OMGsrsly

Oh, that’s hilarious! I was at that point, and now I have an extra basket on the counter of the stuff that kept falling out of the cupboard. At least the basket is easy to move if I need the space for cooking. :)

TheTeaFairy

Very funny! Actually, sounds like an excellent random picking method when you can’t make up your mind, make a wish and just open your cupboard!!!

Thank you Brenden for this sample tea!

This morning while waiting for my teapot water to boil…I turned on the weather report just as Al Roker pronounced “49 States are experiencing below normal cold weather and most are within the Arctic Blast of sub-zero temperatures”.

All I can say is ‘I empathize with all of you…but it has been pretty good here in the Rocky’s’…business as usual so far. One day of snow. You get the WET stuff and WIND. We don’t. It’s dry.

If you have some of Brenden’s Elder Grove tea to keep you company, you’re in luck!

Sunday, I was in the teashop talking to Maggie. For anyone who’s been keeping up with the characters at my local shop (Happy Lucky’s) she’s new…and so is Rachel. (The shop keeps growing in popularity)

Maggie lived in Taiwan and had a tea business. It’s handy having a person around who can read the Chinese Labels that come into the shop. (And some that I bring in too)

Anyway, we were talking about how the Chinese put all sorts of things into tea. Maggie goes to a certain shop close to Denver for special plums to add to tea. I mentioned how Brenden puts pine needles and cedar chips into his blends to remember the spirit of woody places he loves. Other tea vendors use local rice for genmaicha and some are experimenting with aging puer in empty wine and bourbon barrels.

I love the creative energy in our emerging North American tea culture!

Tea houses, philanthropy, love of the natural world and support of community. That’s the most exciting part.

This tea…Elder Grove is smooth.

I let it steep really long and it didn’t become sour but stayed smooth.

I didn’t taste the Holy Basil, but the blend was like a mild chai with good body, smooth elderberry…just the way I like it. Sometimes elderberry can taste like hibiscus and sour…this doesn’t taste that way.

I added a little honey…a perfect compliment!

The more Whispering Pines Tea’s I’ve tasted recently, the more I appreciate Brenden’s hard work in reformulating his tea stock into blends that are unique. They tell a story and represent him and the countryside he loves. His blending skill has matured and I applaud him! Those who learn do well and he’s one to keep watching!

If you haven’t wandered through his tea’s lately, I recommend this and the Evergreen Spice for Winter. Try his new tea’s!

If you’re snowed in and have never watched ‘Foyles War’ on Netflix…it’s a fine series. ‘Call the Midwife’ is another good one. ‘Foyles’…for both men and women. Got the tip first from Joe at the teashop and he’s 29.

Stay warm my friends!

TheTeaFairy

Missed you:-)

caile

I just started watching ‘Call the Midwife’ and like it a lot! I also have the book that someone gave me but haven’t read it yet.

Bonnie

Good to watch with tea!

caile

this tea is really warming and delicious, the elderberries and the spices are perfect :) I’ve been using this one as a mulling spice for my mulled dr.pepper and it is excellent!
Great blend for the winter months.

Okay, here is my official promise that I will not make any new tea for myself that contains caffeine tonight. I will be resteeping that dragonwell because I’m curious how it’ll hold up, but otherwise it’s all herbal/rooibos for me. I haven’t been sleeping well lately and caffeine at 10 pm can’t help (although I don’t think that’s the cause, I just don’t think it helps).

Dry, this smells woody, piney, and a little spicy. As it brews it smells like baked apples! Not what I expected at all. I overleafed this a bit to make sure I got everything in the cup. Considering what’s in it I’m shocked to report that it tastes a little like mulled apple cider! There is a piney flavor to it, but it really does remind me of cinnamon apples in some form.

ETA: As this cools it completely changes. Now that it’s room-temperature it’s piney, wintery, but still a touch appley. I’ve never had anything quite like it!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you liked this! You might enjoy trying out this recipe with Elder Grove :) http://whisperingpinestea.com/healthyliving_files/spicedcider.html

I knew I had to get a tea with warming spices to cope with the dead of winter…southern California winter that is. Of course this tea is the perfect counterpart to winter or even fall. The smell upon opening the packet reminded me a lot of pecan or pumpkin pie. And the taste is actually very similar. It is sweet and spicy and…warm. A little difficult to describe. Elderberry is really a great flavor, I’m surprised it doesn’t get as much publicity as all the other berries because it’s really something. Elderberry has a really delicate and earthy sweetness that makes blueberry look almost like an aggressive sweetness. All in all, buy this tea and you won’t be disappointed!

I kind of just let the teaball steeps in the water.

This. is NICE!!! There is a strong, sweet mint scent and flavor from this. It’s not a sharp mint, it’s very soft – reminds me just the slightest bit of Winterfresh gum without the minty kick. It’s like it’s reaching for that kick, but then pulls back at the last moment. Mmmmm……. sweet and spicy and absolutely delicious! Using my oversteeping method, at least (I say that like it’s on purpose), this is by far my favorite from Whispering Pines that I’ve tried so far. There is tulsi (holy basil) in this, which I’m extremely partial to (which might be the almost-mint I’m getting), so that might be a factor.

I think I might grab an extra packet of this now, in case it runs out.

Flavors: Mint, Sweet

170 °F / 76 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Shame on me. I’ve had this tea for a while and hadn’t tried it yet. This may just be the best herbal tea I have ever had. Sweet Cinnamon Pastry Treat. The bf and I devoured this one. So very good. I don’t see this one lasting long. We drank this while we watched Annabelle. It comforted me while I was scaring myself silly.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Pastries, Sweet

TeaNTees

Loved Annabelle! The beginning with the “cult” invaders was so frightening!

Nichole

Every time they showed her sewing I just cringed. You knew what was coming!

Marzipan

Did you rent it or is it on Netflix?

Nichole

I think it is running on Cinemax right now.

Fjellrev

I do the same, stall on trying things. You make me want to order this sometime!

Nichole

Holler at me and I would gladly send you a sample if you like.

CHAroma

Mmm, sounds good! Added to the wishlist. :)

Thank you Bloeduyn for this spectacular blend!

I received this by accident actually, hahah. This blend was confused with Elderwood, which I will hopefully stumble across someday. Upon tasting, this was a wondrous mistake and I’m very glad that it happened!

I brewed this in my glassware and prepared for what I assumed to be a chai. I gave the dry leaves a light whiff and was surprised by a dark fruit chai. I could hint a currant tone. The boiling spring water hit this leaves with a light sizzle. My cup released vapors of a autumn walk in the woods at dusk. I could scent a sweet caramel and sap aroma. I took a testing sip and analyzed my senses. I thought of an early morning breakfast in the forest. I could taste the buckwheat pancakes stacked high as the sun rose. The hot syrup poured over these caked wafted in the air. This sweet maple tone then turned into a slight spice. It was a hearty clove and brisk cinnamon. The finish was the currant I had noted earlier. It was a ripe berry rush that surrounded the aftertaste. It has a deep undertone of root and moss. The second steeping had the flavors swapped. I tasted spice dominant with undertones of the sweetness. I enjoyed this brew and the places it took me.

I think I have a new favorite company. So far, I have vocalised a “wow” sensation every steeping of each blend. I had a feeling that this company had some choice tea, but I didn’t quite know until I experienced them. I am fascinated with their creativity and description. I love the work that goes into these and the thought that follows.

I like it :)

Flavors: Black Currant, Caramel, Maple, Maple Syrup

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML
Cwyn

Elder Grove is where I wanna go.

Haveteawilltravel

hahahah :) Love my teamagination

Marzipan

I love this one.

Between being busy and getting new samples I have forgotten to leave reviews on some of my Whispering Pines teas I got this month.

There are so few herbal blends out there (all natural with nothing artificial) for the evening that are really tasty. This one fits the bill. The cinnamon is done so good in this tea it just mixes and enhances the whole taste. Definitely not over done. Along with the cinnamon I’m getting the elderberries & marshmallow root. It’s all wrapped up with a toasty warmth, wonderful for a cold winter evening. I love this blend and do not want to be without it.

Flavors: Berries, Cinnamon, Marshmallow, Roasted

This was pleasant enough but not really remarkable to me, particularly not after playing with golden orchid, Cocoa amore, and port. Those are a different type of tea of course but they are so rich and deep. This just didn’t give off the same strength. I think I might need to use far more leaf than I normally would to really enjoy it.

It is warm and spicy and fruity. I like all of those things. But I’m thinking it is an easy enough thing to find, which is why this one just doesn’t stand out to me.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

There’s chicory in there for depth, but it sinks. Give it a shake next time and see if that changes anything :-)

Leah Naomi

Oh thanks so much for the tip! I will be making some tonight…I will try that before being super leaf heavy.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

No worries :) You can also steep as long as you’d like, I find that the sweetness of the elderberries offsets any potential bitterness :)