Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “I'm at the point now where I'm deciding which tea to drink because it's literally hitting me on the head when I open my cupboard. This was the first decaf that came tumbling down, and thus I...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1157 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Brenden for this sample tea!* This morning while waiting for my teapot water to boil...I turned on the weather report just as Al Roker pronounced "49 States are experiencing below...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes
  • “this tea is really warming and delicious, the elderberries and the spices are perfect :) I've been using this one as a mulling spice for my mulled dr.pepper and it is excellent! Great blend for...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 477 tasting notes
  • “Okay, here is my official promise that I will not make any new tea for myself that contains caffeine tonight. I will be resteeping that dragonwell because I'm curious how it'll hold up, but...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 484 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
This tea was inspired by a peaceful full-moon walk through freshly fallen snow in the middle of a dense Michigan forest. With a thick heavy body and spicy warming notes throughout, this herbal tea is very relaxing and a perfect nighttime tea during the colder winter months.

Notes
Elderberry
Cinnamon
Roasty
Warmth
Marshmallow
Lemon

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves

Organic Lemon Balm

Caffeine Content
Caffeine-free!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I’m at the point now where I’m deciding which tea to drink because it’s literally hitting me on the head when I open my cupboard. This was the first decaf that came tumbling down, and thus I prepped it for drinking.

I underleafed this significantly based on what the website says (1/2 tb per 8 ounces) vs. what my package said (1 tsp per 8 ounces). As I always use the package instructions when steeping (if there are any), I went with 1 tsp – and it seems just peachy at that amount.

This tea reminds me of a hike in dense, moist, cooler underbrush like at Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island, where I come to a clearing of cinnamon bushes. Seriously. That’s what this tea is to me.

There’s something spicy in there, and I had to double check that this wasn’t a chai initially, because it easily could be. Strong cinnamon flavor with spice, perhaps minty, green, almost pine-like, and then something sweet in there too. I can, and have, easily downed two cups of this unsweetened with CelebriTEA’s turkey tea cups she sent me, and will finish off this sample size with two more cups to go.

A lovely cool weather drink that reminds you how toasty it is inside while still appreciating the majestic outdoors.

Dexter

LOL you know you’re addicted to tea when….you choose which tea to drink by which fall out of the cabinet. You’re funny…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

most likely what you’re tasting that seems spicy is the tulsi and the sweetness is coming from the elder berries, cinnamon, and lemon balm :) glad you liked this!

OMGsrsly

Oh, that’s hilarious! I was at that point, and now I have an extra basket on the counter of the stuff that kept falling out of the cupboard. At least the basket is easy to move if I need the space for cooking. :)

TheTeaFairy

Very funny! Actually, sounds like an excellent random picking method when you can’t make up your mind, make a wish and just open your cupboard!!!

Thank you Brenden for this sample tea!

This morning while waiting for my teapot water to boil…I turned on the weather report just as Al Roker pronounced “49 States are experiencing below normal cold weather and most are within the Arctic Blast of sub-zero temperatures”.

All I can say is ‘I empathize with all of you…but it has been pretty good here in the Rocky’s’…business as usual so far. One day of snow. You get the WET stuff and WIND. We don’t. It’s dry.

If you have some of Brenden’s Elder Grove tea to keep you company, you’re in luck!

Sunday, I was in the teashop talking to Maggie. For anyone who’s been keeping up with the characters at my local shop (Happy Lucky’s) she’s new…and so is Rachel. (The shop keeps growing in popularity)

Maggie lived in Taiwan and had a tea business. It’s handy having a person around who can read the Chinese Labels that come into the shop. (And some that I bring in too)

Anyway, we were talking about how the Chinese put all sorts of things into tea. Maggie goes to a certain shop close to Denver for special plums to add to tea. I mentioned how Brenden puts pine needles and cedar chips into his blends to remember the spirit of woody places he loves. Other tea vendors use local rice for genmaicha and some are experimenting with aging puer in empty wine and bourbon barrels.

I love the creative energy in our emerging North American tea culture!

Tea houses, philanthropy, love of the natural world and support of community. That’s the most exciting part.

This tea…Elder Grove is smooth.

I let it steep really long and it didn’t become sour but stayed smooth.

I didn’t taste the Holy Basil, but the blend was like a mild chai with good body, smooth elderberry…just the way I like it. Sometimes elderberry can taste like hibiscus and sour…this doesn’t taste that way.

I added a little honey…a perfect compliment!

The more Whispering Pines Tea’s I’ve tasted recently, the more I appreciate Brenden’s hard work in reformulating his tea stock into blends that are unique. They tell a story and represent him and the countryside he loves. His blending skill has matured and I applaud him! Those who learn do well and he’s one to keep watching!

If you haven’t wandered through his tea’s lately, I recommend this and the Evergreen Spice for Winter. Try his new tea’s!

If you’re snowed in and have never watched ‘Foyles War’ on Netflix…it’s a fine series. ‘Call the Midwife’ is another good one. ‘Foyles’…for both men and women. Got the tip first from Joe at the teashop and he’s 29.

Stay warm my friends!

TheTeaFairy

Missed you:-)

caile

I just started watching ‘Call the Midwife’ and like it a lot! I also have the book that someone gave me but haven’t read it yet.

Bonnie

Good to watch with tea!

caile

this tea is really warming and delicious, the elderberries and the spices are perfect :) I’ve been using this one as a mulling spice for my mulled dr.pepper and it is excellent!
Great blend for the winter months.

Okay, here is my official promise that I will not make any new tea for myself that contains caffeine tonight. I will be resteeping that dragonwell because I’m curious how it’ll hold up, but otherwise it’s all herbal/rooibos for me. I haven’t been sleeping well lately and caffeine at 10 pm can’t help (although I don’t think that’s the cause, I just don’t think it helps).

Dry, this smells woody, piney, and a little spicy. As it brews it smells like baked apples! Not what I expected at all. I overleafed this a bit to make sure I got everything in the cup. Considering what’s in it I’m shocked to report that it tastes a little like mulled apple cider! There is a piney flavor to it, but it really does remind me of cinnamon apples in some form.

ETA: As this cools it completely changes. Now that it’s room-temperature it’s piney, wintery, but still a touch appley. I’ve never had anything quite like it!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you liked this! You might enjoy trying out this recipe with Elder Grove :) http://whisperingpinestea.com/healthyliving_files/spicedcider.html

I knew I had to get a tea with warming spices to cope with the dead of winter…southern California winter that is. Of course this tea is the perfect counterpart to winter or even fall. The smell upon opening the packet reminded me a lot of pecan or pumpkin pie. And the taste is actually very similar. It is sweet and spicy and…warm. A little difficult to describe. Elderberry is really a great flavor, I’m surprised it doesn’t get as much publicity as all the other berries because it’s really something. Elderberry has a really delicate and earthy sweetness that makes blueberry look almost like an aggressive sweetness. All in all, buy this tea and you won’t be disappointed!

I am at a loss for how to describe this tea. It is spicy and the cinnamon seems to be in the forefront. There is also a sweet background flavor that I presume comes from the Elder Berries. I picked this one tonight because it is another night avoiding caffeine. This tea reminds me of a chai, it is that sort of spicy although it doesn’t have the traditional chai spices. It is good, I just don’t know how to describe it.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and 205 degree water for 5 min.

Flavors: Cinnamon

I like the mix of elderberry and cinnamon in this tea. It’s warm, comforting, and incredibly soothing. Everything a good herbal tea should be.

Thank you, kimquat, for adding this to our swap! I’ll be picking up more of this once the cold weather rolls in.

September Sipdowns: 22

gmathis

That sounds like something a mountain granny would serve her young’uns, doesn’t it? (off to locate the cinnamon sticks)

Veronica

Ha. It does, gmathis! I can see some little tyke making a funny face while taking the first sip only to realize, hey! this taste pretty good! :)

dear steepster. I’m so fed up with you. really hard to track what i thought about new teas if you’re always down, unusable. I could write it down on paper, and transfer it later but that’s twice the work, and at that point i might as well just switch over to paper. But then, what’s the point? since half the fun is the interaction with the people. reading notes, being able to respond to them….looking up new teas, adding teas to my cupboard etc. 85% of the time, none of that works.

frustratedly yours,

Ubacat

I am feeling frustrated with it too.

Ysaurella

agree Sil Steepsters is becoming really boring.

ysaurella – that makes me sad because i miss being able to interact with friends tasting notes.. but it’s such a hassle now. :(

Cavocorax

It’s really bad! I cut my list of ppl to follow to 50 people who used Steepster quite actively and now I can go a few days without logging on only to see that I missed maybe 20 notes when before it was hundreds… It’s really pathetic. :|

looseTman

Uncertain website reliability can be a significant member disincentive to contributing new forum content.

Kaylee

For what it’s worth, I write my notes in a word processor on my laptop and phone, then copy & paste. It’s more efficient than taking paper notes. I started doing it after the third time Steepster ate my note before I finished writing it.

But I agree, it is frustrating.

looseTman

“… the fun is the interaction with the people. reading notes, being able to respond to them …”
Agreed! Currently, the most recent post was 9 hours ago! Thus, the spontaneous interaction we all used to enjoy is now impossible. Instead there’s a lengthy multi-hour delay in tasting notes and comments being posted. Instead of instant messaging we have Steepster snail mail. How long would you stay on a telephone call if there was just a 60-second delay between each person’s reply? Steepster has had this issue for weeks and we have no idea when it will be resolved. This situation can’t be appealing for attracting new members or retaining current ones.

Jason

Hey Guys,

Really sorry again for all the troubles we’ve been having with the site. I can assure you it’s just as frustrating for us to not be able to provide the reliability we want and that you deserve. We are working with limited resources so aren’t always able to respond to things as quickly as we’d like, and in this case the issue resolution has been pretty tricky.

The larger goal for us will be to move away from our current hosting solution which obfuscates a lot of the information (theoretically to make our jobs easier) but which actaully makes it harder to find/resolve certain issues.

I don’t yet have a timeframe for when it will all be fixed (hopefully asap), but I do want you to know we trying to fix it and we feel your pain. Sorry again, we know you guys have supported Steepster for a long time and we want to keep Steepster in your lives, so we’ll continue working to do that as best we can.

If you guys have any specific questions, feel free to PM or email me directly. Thanks for past and continued patience.

no worries jason – just tough when i’ve been travelling for 5 weeks and when i do try to do things, i can’t. Appreciate all that you guys are doing to fix things. I know it’s equally as frustrating for you guys, having been on the other side of the fence with my work :)

My brunch tea. I smelled the spices when I first brewed this. It tastes sweet, with mild spice, a hint of berry, and an herbal flavour. Would make a good tea for going camping or on a hike, since I do get a forest feel.

Ending the day with this one, which is pleasant enough, but probably not something I’d keep around.