Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 8 oz / 248 ml

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “I'm at the point now where I'm deciding which tea to drink because it's literally hitting me on the head when I open my cupboard. This was the first decaf that came tumbling down, and thus I...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1114 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Brenden for this sample tea!* This morning while waiting for my teapot water to boil...I turned on the weather report just as Al Roker pronounced "49 States are experiencing below...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes
  • “this tea is really warming and delicious, the elderberries and the spices are perfect :) I've been using this one as a mulling spice for my mulled dr.pepper and it is excellent! Great blend for...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 456 tasting notes
  • “Okay, here is my official promise that I will not make any new tea for myself that contains caffeine tonight. I will be resteeping that dragonwell because I'm curious how it'll hold up, but...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 414 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
This tea was inspired by a peaceful full-moon walk through freshly fallen snow in the middle of a dense Michigan forest. With a thick heavy body and spicy warming notes throughout, this herbal tea is very relaxing and a perfect nighttime tea during the colder winter months.

Notes
Elderberry
Cinnamon
Roasty
Warmth
Marshmallow
Lemon

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves

Organic Lemon Balm

Caffeine Content
Caffeine-free!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I’m at the point now where I’m deciding which tea to drink because it’s literally hitting me on the head when I open my cupboard. This was the first decaf that came tumbling down, and thus I prepped it for drinking.

I underleafed this significantly based on what the website says (1/2 tb per 8 ounces) vs. what my package said (1 tsp per 8 ounces). As I always use the package instructions when steeping (if there are any), I went with 1 tsp – and it seems just peachy at that amount.

This tea reminds me of a hike in dense, moist, cooler underbrush like at Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island, where I come to a clearing of cinnamon bushes. Seriously. That’s what this tea is to me.

There’s something spicy in there, and I had to double check that this wasn’t a chai initially, because it easily could be. Strong cinnamon flavor with spice, perhaps minty, green, almost pine-like, and then something sweet in there too. I can, and have, easily downed two cups of this unsweetened with CelebriTEA’s turkey tea cups she sent me, and will finish off this sample size with two more cups to go.

A lovely cool weather drink that reminds you how toasty it is inside while still appreciating the majestic outdoors.

Dexter

LOL you know you’re addicted to tea when….you choose which tea to drink by which fall out of the cabinet. You’re funny…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

most likely what you’re tasting that seems spicy is the tulsi and the sweetness is coming from the elder berries, cinnamon, and lemon balm :) glad you liked this!

OMGsrsly

Oh, that’s hilarious! I was at that point, and now I have an extra basket on the counter of the stuff that kept falling out of the cupboard. At least the basket is easy to move if I need the space for cooking. :)

TheTeaFairy

Very funny! Actually, sounds like an excellent random picking method when you can’t make up your mind, make a wish and just open your cupboard!!!

Thank you Brenden for this sample tea!

This morning while waiting for my teapot water to boil…I turned on the weather report just as Al Roker pronounced “49 States are experiencing below normal cold weather and most are within the Arctic Blast of sub-zero temperatures”.

All I can say is ‘I empathize with all of you…but it has been pretty good here in the Rocky’s’…business as usual so far. One day of snow. You get the WET stuff and WIND. We don’t. It’s dry.

If you have some of Brenden’s Elder Grove tea to keep you company, you’re in luck!

Sunday, I was in the teashop talking to Maggie. For anyone who’s been keeping up with the characters at my local shop (Happy Lucky’s) she’s new…and so is Rachel. (The shop keeps growing in popularity)

Maggie lived in Taiwan and had a tea business. It’s handy having a person around who can read the Chinese Labels that come into the shop. (And some that I bring in too)

Anyway, we were talking about how the Chinese put all sorts of things into tea. Maggie goes to a certain shop close to Denver for special plums to add to tea. I mentioned how Brenden puts pine needles and cedar chips into his blends to remember the spirit of woody places he loves. Other tea vendors use local rice for genmaicha and some are experimenting with aging puer in empty wine and bourbon barrels.

I love the creative energy in our emerging North American tea culture!

Tea houses, philanthropy, love of the natural world and support of community. That’s the most exciting part.

This tea…Elder Grove is smooth.

I let it steep really long and it didn’t become sour but stayed smooth.

I didn’t taste the Holy Basil, but the blend was like a mild chai with good body, smooth elderberry…just the way I like it. Sometimes elderberry can taste like hibiscus and sour…this doesn’t taste that way.

I added a little honey…a perfect compliment!

The more Whispering Pines Tea’s I’ve tasted recently, the more I appreciate Brenden’s hard work in reformulating his tea stock into blends that are unique. They tell a story and represent him and the countryside he loves. His blending skill has matured and I applaud him! Those who learn do well and he’s one to keep watching!

If you haven’t wandered through his tea’s lately, I recommend this and the Evergreen Spice for Winter. Try his new tea’s!

If you’re snowed in and have never watched ‘Foyles War’ on Netflix…it’s a fine series. ‘Call the Midwife’ is another good one. ‘Foyles’…for both men and women. Got the tip first from Joe at the teashop and he’s 29.

Stay warm my friends!

Missed you:-)

caile

I just started watching ‘Call the Midwife’ and like it a lot! I also have the book that someone gave me but haven’t read it yet.

Bonnie

Good to watch with tea!

caile

this tea is really warming and delicious, the elderberries and the spices are perfect :) I’ve been using this one as a mulling spice for my mulled dr.pepper and it is excellent!
Great blend for the winter months.

Okay, here is my official promise that I will not make any new tea for myself that contains caffeine tonight. I will be resteeping that dragonwell because I’m curious how it’ll hold up, but otherwise it’s all herbal/rooibos for me. I haven’t been sleeping well lately and caffeine at 10 pm can’t help (although I don’t think that’s the cause, I just don’t think it helps).

Dry, this smells woody, piney, and a little spicy. As it brews it smells like baked apples! Not what I expected at all. I overleafed this a bit to make sure I got everything in the cup. Considering what’s in it I’m shocked to report that it tastes a little like mulled apple cider! There is a piney flavor to it, but it really does remind me of cinnamon apples in some form.

ETA: As this cools it completely changes. Now that it’s room-temperature it’s piney, wintery, but still a touch appley. I’ve never had anything quite like it!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you liked this! You might enjoy trying out this recipe with Elder Grove :) http://whisperingpinestea.com/healthyliving_files/spicedcider.html

I knew I had to get a tea with warming spices to cope with the dead of winter…southern California winter that is. Of course this tea is the perfect counterpart to winter or even fall. The smell upon opening the packet reminded me a lot of pecan or pumpkin pie. And the taste is actually very similar. It is sweet and spicy and…warm. A little difficult to describe. Elderberry is really a great flavor, I’m surprised it doesn’t get as much publicity as all the other berries because it’s really something. Elderberry has a really delicate and earthy sweetness that makes blueberry look almost like an aggressive sweetness. All in all, buy this tea and you won’t be disappointed!

My brunch tea. I smelled the spices when I first brewed this. It tastes sweet, with mild spice, a hint of berry, and an herbal flavour. Would make a good tea for going camping or on a hike, since I do get a forest feel.

Ending the day with this one, which is pleasant enough, but probably not something I’d keep around.

So, I was going to make this tea, and then saw Golden Orchard and decided to make that one next instead. And then I wasn’t really thinking, and poured milk and water into a pot like I had planned on doing with this tea, not GO, so I guessed that was a sign to make this first instead.

I don’t know if Brenden really is some kind of tea wizard or what, but this is all kinds of awesome. Looking on this tea’s page, I’m realizing that maybe this isn’t meant to be a chai tea, but I made it up chai latte style, and it’s one of the most unique and delicious chai teas I’ve ever had. Theres cinnamon, and what tastes like maybe clove, and something peppery. But then theres a fruitiness from the elderberry, which somehow goes with the spices perfectly. There is a lot of ingredients that I either have never had before, or don’t know what they taste like (elderberries, chicory, holy basil) so they could have easily been gross to me, but it turned out scrumptiously!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Sarsonator

O RLY??? Milk and water, eh? I would like to try that. What was your ratio of milk/water?

Cameron B.

I can see this being delicious brewed latte style! Will definitely try.

Mandy

I totally thought it was a chai, and its my favorite way to make chais! 50:50 water and milk, simmered together with the tea. I usually wait for it to begin to simmer, and then steep for however long the directions say, then take off the heat, strain, and sweeten.

Cheri

That sounds interesting. I am not a really big chai fan, but I think that could make them taste better to me. I’ll have to try it with one that I have.

Marzipan

<— fangirl

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I’m a huge fan of the traditional stovetop method. I always simmer for 10 minutes though. http://lifethroughthepines.blogspot.com/2014/02/chai-guide.html

Sarsonator

Thanks for the new idea, Mandy! I’ll try this with water and milk next time.

Mandy

Guys, definitely try it, its kinda life changing.

I’ll definitely have to try 10 minutes next time!

Oh, and I was able to get three resteeps using the same method, no problem!

Method: 1.5 tsp, 208 degrees, 8 oz, 5 min, French Press

Dry Aroma: The elderberries are center stage. I don’t even smell any cinnamon, which surprised me.

Brewing Aroma: Now there’s the cinnamon, but the elderberries are gone

Flavor: Cinnamon is the most obvious flavor. I don’t taste the elderberries outright, but the tea has a light fruity flavor and a sweetness that I suspect could be from the berries. I didn’t add anything to this one, and it was still quite sweet. I just wish I had realized it was not caffeinated when I picked it this AM. :)

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TheTeaFairy

I found my favourite cinnamon tea in this one :-)

Sarsonator

It’s an interesting one. I’m not huge on cinnamon, but I didn’t find this one to be overwhelming. Sometimes the cinnamon just tap dances all over your face. It’s a bit much!

But this was mild and smooth. I think I’ll enjoy it even more in the cooler months. I was thinking it might even make a good cold brew. Ever try it like that?

TheTeaFairy

Actually no, cause I had only a sample, and well it’s all gone now…will be part of next order in july. But I can totally see how it would make an excellent cold brew!

TheTeaFairy

I found my favourite cinnamon tea in this one :-)

TheTeaFairy

Lol, Steepster is really acting out, my comments are posting in double now!

Sarsonator

Steepster is being very naughty this evening!

I actually had this one last night, but I completely forgot to log it this morning as I had planned to. I made sure to include this in my recent order, since the last time I had it, for some reason it didn’t come out very well for me. And it’s so darn inexpensive! So anyway, I really wanted to try it at once, but I saved it for the evening since it’s caffeine free. I overleafed a bit on purpose (2 teaspoons instead of 1/2 tablespoon) just to make sure the flavor was strong this time.

I definitely love this tea! The aroma and taste are both spicy and sweet and darkly fruity. I love the way the elderberries end up tasting – dark and syrupy but still sweet and berry-like. The spice is perfect! I can definitely taste the cinnamon and I get a clove-like flavor even though there are no cloves. I have no idea what holy basil is, so maybe it’s the cause of that. Overall, the flavor of this tea reminds me of a nice mulled apple cider with a deeper fruity flavor. Delicious, and a definite must-have from now on! I can’t wait to sip this in the colder months.

Flavors: Berry, Cinnamon, Clove, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Marzipan

My husband smelled it last night and said it reminds him of the mulled wine they have in Denmark at Christmas.

Cameron B.

I’ve never had mulled wine, but I can imagine it being similar with that dark fruitiness. I should definitely try it now! My boyfriend told me about something similar that he had in Germany, and you could buy these clay cups and have them refilled.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I would HIGHLY recommend simmering a tablespoon of this in 16oz of fresh apple juice for 5 minutes when autumn rolls around. It seriously makes an amazing mulling spice :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

And the clove note is totally coming from the holy basil, good catch :)