Neapolitan Honeybush

Honeybush Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

• “Another foray into honeybush courtesy of *Mercuryhime*! Steeped, this smells a bit like that characteristic 52teas smell. With maybe a hint of cream and/or strawberry. Oh wow though, the...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2244 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Amanda* and *tattooed_tea* for the samples. I combined what I had left of my samples for a cold brew. This is really good cold brewed as well. I am getting chocolate most of all,...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 806 tasting notes
  • “We just had a very bizarre power outage - I came home to no electricity! - but thankfully everything is now fixed thanks to some long hours from the power company - at 8 pm we shouted "Let there be...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “I drank this last night. A friend and I have started reading the horrible published fanfiction that is 50 Shades of Grey and just laughing ourselves silly over how horrible it is. Oh man. I think I...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1196 tasting notes

From 52teas

It’s starting to warm up, so I hope you will forgive me if I got sidetracked thinking about ice cream, but wow, is this GOOD!

Our caffeine-free African Honeybush (If you are still not familiar with honeybush, it is very similar to Rooibos, but a bit sweeter and without the woody aftertaste that rooibos frequently has) blended with organic vanilla beans, organic cacao nibs, freeze-dried strawberry pieces and all natural flavors. This is a real treat hot or iced!

About 52teas View company

I just picked up a packaged from Doulton in the postoffice!!!
For those who don’t know (but I am sure you do) Doulton held a contest some weeks ago. AND I was one of the lucky winners!

So I picked up this package full of amazing teas (thank you, thank you, Doulton!) and the first thing I noticed was this wierd sweet smell. I sniffed every bag in the box until I found the sinner. It was a unopened bag but I swear I smelled it!

The color of the steeped tea is very close to rooibos color – if not identical.
It smells very sweet and… taste very good. The honeybush taste a lot like rooibos but it’s more neutral? And It really does taste like the icecream! Just a little cream or milk and I am sure it will be dead on!

Like it- love it – want it.

Thanks to RICKY for this sample. This was a fun tea. …Neapolitan ice cream was a favorite at my house when I was growing up so I really looked forward to trying this…Of course, the chocolate disappeared first, and vanilla was the last to go…

On to the tea: First, honeybush is preferable to rooibos. The strawberry flavor predominates. I added sugar and then a bit of milk. Somehow, although I could not detect any individual vanilla and chocolate flavors, this tasted like melted neapolitan ice cream when all 3 flavors blend….

I couldn’t wait any longer for my friend to have time to come over to try these teas that JENN sent! I did manage to keep my hands off the piña coloda one, since we are both looking forward to those lovely tropical flavors!

This is my second honeybush ever, so today I decided to also look it up and find out a bit more about the plant and it’s benefits. Nice! I am not a fan of rooibos, so I really want to like honeybush tea!

I tried this one first because I am not a fan of Neapolitan ice cream, and I want to work my way up through the samples! See, I do have SOME self-control!

This is good. I took it plain and hot, and next I want to try it iced with a wee bit of raw sugar. I think I am definitely going to find some nice caffeine free options for evenings.

I mostly picked up the strawberry flavor, maybe got a little vanilla, and really didn’t pick up the chocolate. It could be that additions really enhance those flavors, so I expect it may change when I ice it and add sugar.

Thank you, Jenn! I am excited about trying all these new goodies! A “thank you” package is in the planning stages!

Jenn

\o/ I’m so glad you package arrived! I have so little trust in the USPS that I pretty much assume that all of the packages I mail will be lost somehow.

I saw this when I was placing an order and HAD to have it. It’s so delicious. I wasn’t expecting it to be this creamy. It tastes like warm neapolitan ice cream. As it cools the flavors come out a bit more. Mm and I LOVE that I can pick out the different flavors. Everything blends so well together with the honeybush.

I opened the little sample pouch of this tea I got as part of the Valentine’s Swee-tea exchange (thanks AmazonV!). At least I think this tea is what the ‘Neapalitain’ lable is refering to… ⌐_⌐

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I love how Frank uses real flavouring that you can see right in the tea. I’m finding big cocoa nibs, pieces of vanilla bean, and bits of dried strawberry all mixed in with the honeybush – it’s great. The result does smell very much like Neapolitan ice cream which makes me a feel a bit nostalgic as I haven’t had that particular type of ice cream in years but it was a pretty common treat at my house when I was a kid.

The flavour doesn’t quite get there in terms of authenticity, although it certainly makes a game effort. The chocolate flavour seems to dominate everything else to some extent and I wish the strawberry in particular made up more of the flavour profile. Despite that, I’d still count this as another awesome blend from 52Teas. :)

Uniquity

That means it’s DEFINITELY Neapolitan flavour then! : ) I always liked the strrawberry the best but found there was way too much chocolate in there. I like the Chapmans square ones where you can just slice off some strawberry and leave the chocolate for all the others.

52teas

‘Neapalitain’ I’m so embarrassed. I had some temps helping me get these out and I think they messed up more things than they did right.

Like Kristin, I need to up my rating as this has really really grown on me. I’ve had at least one cup a day since I bought it, and I really look forward to it. I wish this could make it into the regular website rotation and be available in larger bags. I seem to go through it awfully quickly. It’s just the perfect hint of cocoa/vanilla/strawberry- mildly sweet and very satisfying after dinner.

Kristin

I agree and I don’t think I up’d mine enough! adjusts

This is my second tea from 52teas and the second time I’ve had to refrain from just typing expletives in capslock in conjunction with accusing them of witchcraft (I believe I just did the latter in my last tasting note). The flavours really are all there! I managed to pick out the chocolate and strawberry in the aroma of the dry leaves, with the vanilla coming in with both the aroma and taste of the resulting brew. I thought this would be nice with milk, but its already pretty creamy on its own.
Neapolitan ice-cream tea? This guy has nailed it!

So many thankyous to Jenn!
I didn’t expect to like this one at all, since I’m not a neapolitan fan (esp with those little candies in it!) but this was surprisingly accurate, and overall tasty!!
My friend who was over enjoyed it as well.
However, I do feel that it was too similar to some of my other rooibos teas for me to go out and buy a tin. Rooibos in general, I find, has a hard time picking up flavours so I somewhat expected this to be mild, but pleasant.
I’d like to try it next time with milk but I think that may kill the flavour. Sugar definitely helped of course!

The only thing I can say about this tea is that it tastes exactly like Neapolitan ice cream. Strawberry, vanilla, chocolate. It’s perfect.

Thank you so much, Frank, for reblending this and giving your late-comer fans the chance to taste its numminess.

Boiling 8 min or more

I finally got around to trying this, only after having it for months and swapping most of it out.
The dry notes.smell very artificially chocolatey.
Once steeped it tastes just like neapolitan ice cream. I always find with the ice cream the chocolate comes out the ost and the same goes for this tea. I feel like I am eating a melted bowl of ice cream. As it reached room temperature it didnt taste as good, so im going to chill the rest and add a little bit of milk to it.