Neapolitan Honeybush

Honeybush Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

• “Another foray into honeybush courtesy of *Mercuryhime*! Steeped, this smells a bit like that characteristic 52teas smell. With maybe a hint of cream and/or strawberry. Oh wow though, the...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Amanda* and *tattooed_tea* for the samples. I combined what I had left of my samples for a cold brew. This is really good cold brewed as well. I am getting chocolate most of all,...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 791 tasting notes
  • “We just had a very bizarre power outage - I came home to no electricity! - but thankfully everything is now fixed thanks to some long hours from the power company - at 8 pm we shouted "Let there be...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “I drank this last night. A friend and I have started reading the horrible published fanfiction that is 50 Shades of Grey and just laughing ourselves silly over how horrible it is. Oh man. I think I...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes

From 52teas

It’s starting to warm up, so I hope you will forgive me if I got sidetracked thinking about ice cream, but wow, is this GOOD!

Our caffeine-free African Honeybush (If you are still not familiar with honeybush, it is very similar to Rooibos, but a bit sweeter and without the woody aftertaste that rooibos frequently has) blended with organic vanilla beans, organic cacao nibs, freeze-dried strawberry pieces and all natural flavors. This is a real treat hot or iced!

About 52teas View company

I first drank it iced with cream and sugar The cream and sugar wasn’t needed, and actually made it dull to me. I prefer this tea naked. This tea has a nice creamyiness to it on its own

I can get a hint of each flavor, the chocolate comes out nicely the most. I would liked more vanilla and strawberry. Still, wonderful iced.

So good! The taste of the vanilla is sweet. Great treat.

This is my first time ever drinking something from 52teas. I’m halfway through my first cup of Neapolitan Honeybush and I can hardly imagine a better welcome to their teas than this.

Even before I opened the bag, I was grinning like an idiot at all the cacao nibs and huge strawberry chunks I could spot among the sea of tiny honeybush particles. The aroma after I tore it open was far more rich and heady than I was expecting; almost like the top notes of a decadent perfume rather than a favorite dessert (albeit not in an unpleasant way at all – as a fan of vanilla notes in my perfume, I rather wish I could bottle the scent :-P).

Once I started steeping, the richness of the scent began to mellow somewhat, but even as I drink it now it’s still there; a deep, potent vanilla tempered with a sweet and fruity finish. After a six-minute infusion, I tried a bit before deciding whether or not to add anything. I was already very impressed with the flavor, but knowing my own tastebuds, I immediately knew I would like it even more with a touch of sugar. And oh my, did I ever like it better. While I often drink my teas plain, I think the sweetener in this case really elevates the flavors to another level entirely. For me, this tea starts off with a beautiful synthesis of all three featured flavors, before shifting to a brief but robust influx of fresh strawberries, and finally finishing with that same luscious vanilla I so loved upon first catching a whiff of this lovely blend. I think the last part is my favorite part of this tea. The vanilla is so delicious and almost candylike, really; reminiscent of toffee, caramel or brittle.

If I had to criticize anything, I suppose it would be that the chocolate notes are not as noticeable to me as the strawberry or vanilla. But this tea is so delicious that I don’t find myself missing it all of that much anyway.

Bottom line: I’m tempted to go and prepare myself another cup, and as I’m typing this, I’ve only just finished the first one! It’s been quite a long time since a flavored blend has impressed me quite like this. :-)

Sipdown (181/187)!

Thanks VariaTEA for the sample! This was on my wishlist, so it’s awesome to be able to cross it off! You always have so many 52teas blends to share; I greatly appreciate it since they can be so hard to get a hold of.

The first thing I notice about this one is the peppery honeybush base; it’s a flavour I really only get out of the base Frank uses and while I don’t dislike it I do find that it can be rather distracting from the other flavours in the tea. After the peppery base, I get a creamy strawberry and a chocolate flavour: but it’s weird because they don’t mesh with each other that well and they definitely don’t mesh with the base so the flavour notes of both are very fleeting and I can’t fully focus on them at the same time because there’s this huge line of distinction. As for the vanilla, it must be contributing to the creaminess of the strawberry; otherwise it’s pretty lost.

So this was a fun experience and an interesting tea to try; but it’s not something I’d want a whole pouch of (in fact, I’m probably content not trying it again) because it’s really not something I could sit down and relax with: all the competing flavours and the base are just much too distracting.

VariaTEA

I always try to save at least a cup of all 52 tea blends to send your way. This is another that was sent to me by the awesome Dustin

So this has been steeping for over an hour. In fact, it steeped for so long, my whales went back to black :(. Unfortunately, this can be oversteeped. It is coming off peppery in this cup, though that is a result of my prep and not a reflection of the tea. Nonetheless, I still have a lot more of this to prep properly so thank you Dustin!

In other news, how is it that when you cross the border, fat free whip cream goes from being 30 calories to merely 5 calories?

Sami Kelsh

I want to live in 5 calories land!

Fjellrev

So strange. It also makes me wonder what kind of crap they put in the fat-free stuff. Usually chemicals, sugar, and/or sodium is added to compensate for the fat. At that point, I’d rather take the fat.

VariaTEA

Haha. It is tasty whipped cream too. I miss it :(. That and Boston Cream Pie yogurt.

Fjellrev

That’s insane. I can’t imagine all the different stuff available across the border.

VariaTEA

I am only allowed fat free yogurt and the only non-greek fat free yogurt I will drink is the yoplait yogurt they sell across the border. My mom’s plan is to drive over the border monthly and go grocery shopping to buy the things you can’t get here.

Anna

Wait, is Canada the better option here in terms of choice, or the US?

US..always US for choices… unless we’re talking kinder eggs.

Anna

I’m still weirded out by the fact that you guys have to pay so much for shipping.

VariaTEA

Yeah I think it worked out to $5 shipping for a $9 bag of tea.

tigress_al

Ya the shipping really sucks :(