Royal Blend

Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Astringent, Heavy
Edit tea info Last updated by joriba
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 5 g 11 oz / 336 ml

From Fortnum & Mason

First blended for King Edward VII in the summer of 1902, Royal Blend blends Assam with a touch of Ceylon for a smooth, almost honey-like flavour. It can be drunk all day, with milk, producing the perfect traditional cup of tea.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

I enjoyed the tin, but am not sad it’s gone. It’s a bit malty, a bit astringent: it feels oversteeped at 3 1/2 min—I usually steep black teas about 4 1/3 min. I don’t even like the tin quite well enough to keep; it’s really hard to get the bits out of the corner.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

A proper English black tea. I infused this twice in my teapot I got from the London teapot company. The liquor is a warm amber color and the full-bodied taste has a malty, fresh baked bread quality to it. It’s a rustic tea that is great for cold mornings when you need to wake up and crave an acceptable splash of cream.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Raisins

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 5 g

Sipdown 1 of 2 today! Despite being alarmingly old (2 years, 3 years maybe?), it held up well to the very end. Maltiness is reduced, but still there. A bit vegetal from the Ceylon (or age). Balance was starting to be off a bit. This was a versatile tea, good for when I wanted a solid unflavored black, great as a base for my homemade chai. I’ll probably get more eventually, but I’ve got so many other teas, plus so many more I’d like to try, it may be awhile.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

A bold, astringent blend of Assam and Ceylon black tea that is slightly overpowering for the average palette, but a treat for those who enjoy their tea strong :)

Flavors: Astringent, Heavy

Another back-back-backlog from afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason. This tea reminded me the most of my beloved breakfast blends: bold, smooth, but not bitter. Other than that, there were no other special flavors or anything that jumped out at me. It was especially good when paired with the scones & jam or the desserts because of it’s strength.

Nicole

Ooo…I would love to go to tea there someday. :)

Jennkay

I really enjoyed it! Plus, their store is like four stories, so there was a lot of tea-related shopping going on afterwards!

Thank you, Sil, for sending me this sample!!!

I really like this tea. It reminds me a bit of the only other Fortnum & Mason tea I’ve tried: Assam Superb. My father works for a London-based company, and he used to bring home tins of Assam Superb when he travelled to London for work. This tea seems like it may also have some Ceylon blended in (just checked, it does), but the Assam is still the most noticeable for me. This is a perfect tea for this morning. It’s assertive, yet smooth, and it reminds me of being at home. I usually am not a fan of Ceylon tea, but in this blend it lends (I believe it’s the Ceylon) a honey-sweetness to the cup.

This one isn’t half bad….I’m enjoying the few f&m teas I’ve tried

yep like this one better than queen anne. This one is a smoother brew that’s not SUPER bold, but it’s got enough of a kick this morning for me to be really enjoying it.

Another great black sample sent to me by the most generous Sil – thank you.

I really liked this one too. Totally different than other blends I’ve had. This was bold, but not overwhelming, not astringent, not bitter. Just a really good cup of black tea.

fortnum has some really good just a cup of black tea yums. lol the keemun i’d love to be able to get here.

I put a Tb in the 16oz pot & steeped this for 4 minutes. I loved it!
It was bold, well grounded without a doubt, with an interesting almost cream like flavor.
Great with breakfast!
This one is from the most recent BBBBox, contributed by Sil.

Thank you Sil for sharing this blend with me. The funniest is I hesitated to buy a tin last Wednesday while I was in La grande Épicerie – finally I decided to leave it and Sil sent me some :)

It’s a so strong assam…bitter…at the very first sip I knew I would not be able to drink it. I’ll retry with a 2 min steep to see if I can have it.
So I added milk and sugar…à l’anglaise…and it is really enjoyable, really nice.
So clearly a blend I should reserve to drink with a dash of milk.

served with toasts with butter and Tiptree crystal orange marmelade …yummy.

Nice! Glad I saved you the. Trouble of buying it and having a whole tin :)

Ysaurella

it is really pleasant with milk and sugar , thank you again