Royal Blend

Edit tea info Last updated by joriba

• “Eeeeew, what did I do wrong today? I steeped for three min, and last time I oversteeped but it was surprisingly good. I doubt that is why, as this tasted stale and dusty, with a funky aftertaste....” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1292 tasting notes
  • “Had this with milk and sugar, and blueberry muffins that I just made. This tea is rather on the rough side without milk, and improves immensely with it” Read full tasting note
    NofarS 340 tasting notes
  • “This tea is ok. It's not great. It's strong and other than that I can't pick much else up. It's better with sugar. It sorta needs sugar. Yikes. It's a Monday sorta tea. You know what I did...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1641 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Sil* for this sample! This tea is heavy on the Assam, so I had to add milk and Truvia to calm things down a bit. It’s much more drinkable this way. Five minutes later and I can feel...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 509 tasting notes

From Fortnum & Mason

First blended for King Edward VII in the summer of 1902, Royal Blend blends Assam with a touch of Ceylon for a smooth, almost honey-like flavour. It can be drunk all day, with milk, producing the perfect traditional cup of tea.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

yep like this one better than queen anne. This one is a smoother brew that’s not SUPER bold, but it’s got enough of a kick this morning for me to be really enjoying it.

Another great black sample sent to me by the most generous Sil – thank you.

I really liked this one too. Totally different than other blends I’ve had. This was bold, but not overwhelming, not astringent, not bitter. Just a really good cup of black tea.

fortnum has some really good just a cup of black tea yums. lol the keemun i’d love to be able to get here.

I put a Tb in the 16oz pot & steeped this for 4 minutes. I loved it!
It was bold, well grounded without a doubt, with an interesting almost cream like flavor.
Great with breakfast!
This one is from the most recent BBBBox, contributed by Sil.

Thank you Sil for sharing this blend with me. The funniest is I hesitated to buy a tin last Wednesday while I was in La grande Épicerie – finally I decided to leave it and Sil sent me some :)

It’s a so strong assam…bitter…at the very first sip I knew I would not be able to drink it. I’ll retry with a 2 min steep to see if I can have it.
So I added milk and sugar…à l’anglaise…and it is really enjoyable, really nice.
So clearly a blend I should reserve to drink with a dash of milk.

served with toasts with butter and Tiptree crystal orange marmelade …yummy.

Nice! Glad I saved you the. Trouble of buying it and having a whole tin :)

Ysaurella

it is really pleasant with milk and sugar , thank you again

This is a full-flavored, straight forward bold English tea. The bright Ceylon tea leaves balance out the malty, darker Assam. Take the edge off with a splash of milk and it makes an ideal substitute for coffee at breakfast time.

See my full review of F&M Royal Blend here:

A great gift from my mother in law.
A delicious tea, best with honey & milk and if the mood takes you, add that slice of lemon too.
It opens up to a nice note especially at your throat… Mmmm heavenly.

Great for a cool winter’s afternoon or that autumn evenings watching the leaves falling.
Love it brewed cold in the summer and sometimes added lemonade for a great summer night drink.

Somehow I learned that George Orwell liked Fortnum & Mason tea, so of course I had to give it a try. I stopped by Williams Sonoma after work yesterday to pick this up; they had the Royal Blend, Earl Grey, and the Breakfast Blend.

The malty notes that others have mentioned were certainly noticeable, but weren’t as prominent as I had expected. It’s got a smooth taste initially, with some very mild bitterness afterwards. This strikes me as a really good everyday tea – not something I’d crave, but certainly something to look forward to.