Molasses, Earth, Malt, Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Honey, Oats, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Joseph Wesley Black Tea

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

There are only three Chinese black teas that ever receive consideration as being a “classic” Chinese tea. One of those is the famed Tangyang Congfu created by the tea masters in the Tangyang Village of China’s Fujian province. We partnered with these famous tea growers and producers to bring you Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 5. This stunningly complex and varied tea has all the characteristics of an outstanding Chinese black tea: tightly rolled leaves, crystalline auburn/red liquor, sugary aroma and an unforgettably sweet taste that grows in complexity the more that it is steeped. We are honored to work with some of the most highly acclaimed tea growers and producers in the famous Tangyang village to bring you this extraordinary tea.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

The dry smell packed with Keemum Congfu is a whoa of saltiness. This is one of those teas that actually makes you think of meat–charred, but deliciously so. All that smoke produces the effect of the well-done-est burger you’ve ever had in your life. In the cup, it quiets down a bunch, like you’re getting the roasted veggies that came along as a side dish: caramelized carrots and sweet ‘tater fries.

Once you sip that first infusion, however, it becomes clear that this isn’t a stand-in for Five Guys. The deep amber liquor contains a smooth mouthfeel that could be rather conspiratorial–a mischievous wink and a nudge from… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/09/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-2/

Sounds yum

Do you remember how long you infused these for?

The Snooty Tea Person

No, I’m sorry! Only that it was a quick steep, between 30-90 secs.

So I think this is the tea I am currently drinking. It maybe a similar version as I remember the note from JW saying something about being out of the Keemun, but here is a sample of something. It is good stuff! Yum yum yum yum. This is just what I needed this morning to get me going. Baked bread, with a deep hint of cacao. The teas I have tried from JW have been missing what I will call the “base” for me. They are light and airy. This one has that extra umph that is rocking my world this morning. I hope that this is the same tea that is in tin #5, because a tin worth is on its way from Beorhthraefn.

I know what you mean about too many teas being too light and airy. Love some good oomph myself!

I haven’t been reviewing much but I was excited to get to try a few of joseph Wesley teas, thanks to a generous tea friend. This was the first I chose, and wow, now I know what I have been missing all this time – this tea is fantastic!
It brewed a rich and fragrant cup that tasted of spiced fruits and caramel with some smokiness and very light floral – so sweet, so tasty! Resteeped for a few cups which were all delicious.
This is a tea I would easily drink everyday!

I love this one, too! I had this today!

yay! I was wanting to try this for quite awhile so was very happy – it was really good!

Yay! i love this tea too :)

:)) It was such a delicious treat!

Sounds amazing… Hello, wishlist!

:) This is one I’m keeping on my wishlist!

YUM! How does Keemun Congfu compare to TeaVivre’s Keemuns, especially their Premium Keemun Hao Ya? Thanks!

It has been awhile since I have had Teavivre’s so I can’t really compare. I have the premium keemun hao ya on order from their recent sale though. :)

Excellent! I look forward to reading your comparison!

Pulled this one out this morning – a lovely tea to start the morning off

This was a tasty keemun. It had some smoke, some fruit, and some caramel. Pretty good. The smoke lasted throughout several infusions. I probably would have preferred it to change a bit more, but overall, it was good.

Grabbed it with a bunch of my other blacks and put it near my bedside table near my tea/hot water maker as part of moving all meds and comfort items nearby because I am fighting a cold that could win at any moment… And last night was feeling like it may have. Happily this morning I’m back to fight-off symptom levels.

Grabbed this one to make out of just random, really… Looking over the packages gauging when I’d had this or that last, that sort of thing, and decided to go with this.

I’ve twice now at the Coffee & Tea NYC festival bought things from them and enjoyed, grabbed this with 2 last-year ones I liked.

So, on waking this morning I prepped and turned on my Breville with it and am having it.

First mouthful was an actual “yum!” thought in my head, the word. I’ll not go into all the colors and details this review as I know I’ll have it again and can then add more, but right now: molasses, orange color in back of tongue but not throat area, moderate brown richness on mid-tongue, and lots of little finer notes that will add. It’s a medium strength black.

Absolutely a buy again.

Flavors: Molasses

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Another sample from the amazingly awesome Scribbles!

On first smell of the dry tea, I get strong vanilla and cake/pastry notes. Which I found odd for a keemun but I am keen to continue.

When the hot water first hit the tea, the smokiness of the keemun wafted up. It was sweet, slightly smokey.

In order, the first flavour notes I got from this tea were: malt, smoke, tobacco. Delicious. There are definitely light undertones of vanilla cake. The smokey flavour was quite light. There was a very natural sweetness to this tea, that complemented the smoke flavour. The tea liquor was thick, it was moderately bold, there was no astringency which was quite nice (and also a surprise).

My all time favourite teas are Assams, but keemuns do come in a close second.

I think Keemuns are one type of black tea I’ve never really been fond of – they’re always astringent. I might have to get my hands on some of this to try, because it sounds pretty good.

Think this is also my last sample from QueenOfTarts! Took me a while to get to this one since I wasn’t really sure about Keemum, but figured today seemed like a good day to try it finally.
I had a feeling it was gonna be really earthy, and I was right! XD
It’s super earthy…with slight, ever so slight hints of malt.
But that’s really all I’m getting :/ So not really disappointed since I didn’t have really high hopes for this one anyway, but didn’t really surprise me or anything.
Not for me!

Flavors: Earth, Malt

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Hello Ost, we just read that you didn’t enjoy our Keemun Congfu. I’m sorry to read this. Unfortunately, we do not have any aromatics or tisanes to offer. Only straight black teas. I wish we had something to offer that fit your preferences. With that said, thank you for trying our tea! -joe

You don’t have to apologize for your teas not being great on my taste buds. There are plenty of people that love this, I’m sure! This one’s just not for me and that’s fine! I like other straight black teas. Just not sure if Keemum is my thing is all. Glad I tried it though. (:

Time for another lazy note because I was distracted by gaming! This is the last of the Joseph Wesley samples generously provided by scribbles. The leaves are small, thin, black, like most Keemuns I’ve seen. Dry scent was musty hay, maybe some grain. I did my usual black tea steep.

Yum, this one is very creamy with bread and oat flavors. There’s also some honey and maybe the slightest touch of cinnamon? Also some slight vegetal notes near the beginning of the sip, maybe greens? A fairly simple, but tasty, tea. :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Honey, Malt, Oats, Vegetal

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thank you for the nice review Cameron. I’m happy to read you’ve enjoyed our teas. Cheers, Joe

The scent of this tea isn’t as interesting as other black teas I’ve had in that I can’t really pick out layers. It does smell very comforting and brings back memories of having black tea and milk with friends. I pick up on something that resembles lemon, as if someone has placed a slice of it on the side of the cup.

Sipping… this is a very nice, crisp tea. It’s got a lovely citrus brightness to it, but also remains true to it’s “black tea” flavor. I can see this being a nice morning cup of tea. It’s brisk enough to wake you up, but not so heavy and alarming as some other teas can be. So far, not my favorite from Joseph Wesley, but definitely a lovely and bright tea.