Molasses, Earth, Malt, Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Honey, Oats, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Joseph Wesley Black Tea

• “The dry smell packed with Keemum Congfu is a whoa of saltiness. This is one of those teas that actually makes you think of meat–charred, but deliciously so. All that smoke produces the effect of...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “I haven’t been reviewing much but I was excited to get to try a few of joseph Wesley teas, thanks to a generous tea friend. This was the first I chose, and wow, now I know what I have been...” Read full tasting note
    caile 239 tasting notes
  • “Pulled this one out to enjoy this morning and it was a great decision! smoke…some fruity notes and a little bit of malt. this is a medium sort of black…not too strong and not too...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6489 tasting notes
  • “This was a tasty keemun. It had some smoke, some fruit, and some caramel. Pretty good. The smoke lasted throughout several infusions. I probably would have preferred it to change a bit more, but...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 798 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

There are only three Chinese black teas that ever receive consideration as being a “classic” Chinese tea. One of those is the famed Tangyang Congfu created by the tea masters in the Tangyang Village of China’s Fujian province. We partnered with these famous tea growers and producers to bring you Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 5. This stunningly complex and varied tea has all the characteristics of an outstanding Chinese black tea: tightly rolled leaves, crystalline auburn/red liquor, sugary aroma and an unforgettably sweet taste that grows in complexity the more that it is steeped. We are honored to work with some of the most highly acclaimed tea growers and producers in the famous Tangyang village to bring you this extraordinary tea.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

The dry smell packed with Keemum Congfu is a whoa of saltiness. This is one of those teas that actually makes you think of meat–charred, but deliciously so. All that smoke produces the effect of the well-done-est burger you’ve ever had in your life. In the cup, it quiets down a bunch, like you’re getting the roasted veggies that came along as a side dish: caramelized carrots and sweet ‘tater fries.

Once you sip that first infusion, however, it becomes clear that this isn’t a stand-in for Five Guys. The deep amber liquor contains a smooth mouthfeel that could be rather conspiratorial–a mischievous wink and a nudge from… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/09/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-2/

Bonnie

Sounds yum

TeaBrat

Do you remember how long you infused these for?

The Snooty Tea Person

No, I’m sorry! Only that it was a quick steep, between 30-90 secs.

I haven’t been reviewing much but I was excited to get to try a few of joseph Wesley teas, thanks to a generous tea friend. This was the first I chose, and wow, now I know what I have been missing all this time – this tea is fantastic!
It brewed a rich and fragrant cup that tasted of spiced fruits and caramel with some smokiness and very light floral – so sweet, so tasty! Resteeped for a few cups which were all delicious.
This is a tea I would easily drink everyday!

SimplyJenW

I love this one, too! I had this today!

caile

yay! I was wanting to try this for quite awhile so was very happy – it was really good!

boychik

Yay! i love this tea too :)

caile

:)) It was such a delicious treat!

sren

Sounds amazing… Hello, wishlist!

caile

:) This is one I’m keeping on my wishlist!

looseTman

YUM! How does Keemun Congfu compare to TeaVivre’s Keemuns, especially their Premium Keemun Hao Ya? Thanks!

caile

It has been awhile since I have had Teavivre’s so I can’t really compare. I have the premium keemun hao ya on order from their recent sale though. :)

looseTman

Excellent! I look forward to reading your comparison!

Pulled this one out to enjoy this morning and it was a great decision! smoke…some fruity notes and a little bit of malt. this is a medium sort of black…not too strong and not too wimpy. I’d like to try this one alongside the qimen from JW just to see which i prefer. Maybe when i get back next weekend!

This was a tasty keemun. It had some smoke, some fruit, and some caramel. Pretty good. The smoke lasted throughout several infusions. I probably would have preferred it to change a bit more, but overall, it was good.

Delicious!

Grabbed it with a bunch of my other blacks and put it near my bedside table near my tea/hot water maker as part of moving all meds and comfort items nearby because I am fighting a cold that could win at any moment… And last night was feeling like it may have. Happily this morning I’m back to fight-off symptom levels.

Grabbed this one to make out of just random, really… Looking over the packages gauging when I’d had this or that last, that sort of thing, and decided to go with this.

I’ve twice now at the Coffee & Tea NYC festival bought things from them and enjoyed, grabbed this with 2 last-year ones I liked.

So, on waking this morning I prepped and turned on my Breville with it and am having it.

First mouthful was an actual “yum!” thought in my head, the word. I’ll not go into all the colors and details this review as I know I’ll have it again and can then add more, but right now: molasses, orange color in back of tongue but not throat area, moderate brown richness on mid-tongue, and lots of little finer notes that will add. It’s a medium strength black.

Absolutely a buy again.

2.25g/6oz

Flavors: Molasses

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Another sample from the amazingly awesome Scribbles!

On first smell of the dry tea, I get strong vanilla and cake/pastry notes. Which I found odd for a keemun but I am keen to continue.

When the hot water first hit the tea, the smokiness of the keemun wafted up. It was sweet, slightly smokey.

In order, the first flavour notes I got from this tea were: malt, smoke, tobacco. Delicious. There are definitely light undertones of vanilla cake. The smokey flavour was quite light. There was a very natural sweetness to this tea, that complemented the smoke flavour. The tea liquor was thick, it was moderately bold, there was no astringency which was quite nice (and also a surprise).

My all time favourite teas are Assams, but keemuns do come in a close second.

Kittenna

I think Keemuns are one type of black tea I’ve never really been fond of – they’re always astringent. I might have to get my hands on some of this to try, because it sounds pretty good.

Think this is also my last sample from QueenOfTarts! Took me a while to get to this one since I wasn’t really sure about Keemum, but figured today seemed like a good day to try it finally.
I had a feeling it was gonna be really earthy, and I was right! XD
It’s super earthy…with slight, ever so slight hints of malt.
But that’s really all I’m getting :/ So not really disappointed since I didn’t have really high hopes for this one anyway, but didn’t really surprise me or anything.
Not for me!

Flavors: Earth, Malt

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Hello Ost, we just read that you didn’t enjoy our Keemun Congfu. I’m sorry to read this. Unfortunately, we do not have any aromatics or tisanes to offer. Only straight black teas. I wish we had something to offer that fit your preferences. With that said, thank you for trying our tea! -joe

Ost

You don’t have to apologize for your teas not being great on my taste buds. There are plenty of people that love this, I’m sure! This one’s just not for me and that’s fine! I like other straight black teas. Just not sure if Keemum is my thing is all. Glad I tried it though. (:

Time for another lazy note because I was distracted by gaming! This is the last of the Joseph Wesley samples generously provided by scribbles. The leaves are small, thin, black, like most Keemuns I’ve seen. Dry scent was musty hay, maybe some grain. I did my usual black tea steep.

Yum, this one is very creamy with bread and oat flavors. There’s also some honey and maybe the slightest touch of cinnamon? Also some slight vegetal notes near the beginning of the sip, maybe greens? A fairly simple, but tasty, tea. :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Honey, Malt, Oats, Vegetal

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thank you for the nice review Cameron. I’m happy to read you’ve enjoyed our teas. Cheers, Joe

The scent of this tea isn’t as interesting as other black teas I’ve had in that I can’t really pick out layers. It does smell very comforting and brings back memories of having black tea and milk with friends. I pick up on something that resembles lemon, as if someone has placed a slice of it on the side of the cup.

Sipping… this is a very nice, crisp tea. It’s got a lovely citrus brightness to it, but also remains true to it’s “black tea” flavor. I can see this being a nice morning cup of tea. It’s brisk enough to wake you up, but not so heavy and alarming as some other teas can be. So far, not my favorite from Joseph Wesley, but definitely a lovely and bright tea.

I’m skipping the queue with this one because THE TIME HAS COME! I have opened the tin. I have sniffled it. Happy birthday to me! (I thought that would be an auspicious day to try it, don’t you?)

I should make some preliminary introductions to this one and tell why it’s so extremely special to me that I had to have it, shipping fees be damned. This tin right here was the very thing that made me order from JW at all. Everything else that I got to taste from the company was purely coincidental and taking advantage of the fact that I would be paying shipping charges anyway. I’ve been looking at the unopened tin of it for weeks now, simply just enjoying that fact that I had it. Petting it now and then and enjoying looking forward to it while waiting for the right time to taste it for the first time.

As you all know (or ought to know at this point!) I’m partial to a Chinese black, and if it comes from Fujian, it simply cannot go wrong. Fujian is my most favouritest tea growing area in the world and has been for a number of years now. My very very favourite tea is Tan Yang. It is the benchmark of fabulousness to which all other black teas must measure up. Another favourite type is Keemun, usually grown in Anhui. Life-giving and delivering a solid cup of tea every single time.

What we now have here in this tin is both a Keemun and a Tan Yang, and it is not a blend. It was grown near the Tan Yang village in Fujian, but the bushes are the Keemun variety transplanted there from Anhui. The very idea of this awesome on an epic scale!

The leaf smells both Keemun-y and Fujian-y. It has the Fujian cocoa note and the Keemun-y grain. Mind you Fujian usually also has a lot of grain in it, but I tend to find it more prominent in Keemuns. There’s something else in here that reminds me vaguely of some kind of tart berry or something. Perhaps one which has been dried. Like dried cranberry, I think, but not nearly as sweet as those are. If I take a little leaf in my hand and breathe on it before sniffing, I get a strong note that reminds me of when Husband makes beer, just at the point where he puts the hops in.

Okay that it, I can’t wait for Husband to start cooking breakfast (full English, yay!). I need to make a pot of this NOW!

After steeping it doesn’t smell so beer-y, but rather more like freshly baked rye bread. Courtney understands this note fully. I suspect Marzipan does as well. It’s grain-y and dark and also somewhat sweet. There is some of the Fujian cocoa notes there as well, but they are under the grain and so I have to really look for them.

I’ve started sipping way too soon. It’s far too hot still and I can barely taste anything. I did, however, pick up the fact that it’s a strong tea we’ve got here. It even seems to have a rather smoky note to it, which ♥♥♥♥♥

I can sip a bit more now. It’s quite cocoa-y with grainy notes underneath and a fairly large amount of smoke and then finally quite sweet on the swallow. I can definitely see the characteristics of both types in this. It’s like the best qualities of one combined with the best qualities of the other. It’s hard for me to even come up with anything to write at this point.

Oh yes.

Mind = blown.

kisses tin

Marzipan

I have a funny rugbrød story! My husband misses it terribly, so I decided to make some for his birthday. I contacted one of his sisters, who is trained as a cook, and she sent her recipe. I started converting it to English and non metric, and found that the ingredients were just CRAZY – ten pounds of rye flour for example. So, I broke down and asked Karsten for help.

I had converted it correctly but it was a recipe that made many many loaves. We cut it down and I started making the bread.

It was still huge. But what I wasn’t used to is that it doesn’t really rise at all. The mass that you have is pretty much the mass that you bake. Most of our bread wishes until it’s double so I was pretty worried about the malty, slightly sour enormous mass of dough I had. It turned out fine and he loved it. Reading this it isn’t as funny as I remembered. Now the story where I tried to find hjortetaksalt and thought I was going to get arrested…..that was funny.

Marzipan

Wishes= rises. I can’t edit my comments?

Angrboda

Then you are intimately familiar with the way it smells just as it comes out. :) My mother would bake some for Christmas but during the rest of the year it’s just store-bought. :)

I miss leverpostej and Anthon Berg the most. :(

teataku

Happy birthday, indeed!

Angrboda

I know how you feel. We can’t get baked beans here for scratch. Heinz is the only proper brand, but it’s hard to find. We’ve tried a number of other ones that are available but they all range from meh to nearly-if-you-squint, so… :/

Thank you, teataku. :)

looseTman

Yes, Happy birthday to you! Excellent review!

Marzipan

American/Danish birthday song. Happy fødselsdagen to you, hurra hurra hurra! I dag er Angrboda’s fødselsdag, tillykky med birthday to you! ♥ ♥ ♥

Darn it, tillykkE

Gosh, Danglish! O.o

caile

Happy birthday!! I’ve been looking forward to reading your review on this – I’m glad it skipped the queue for your special day!

Thank you. :) I was looking forward to writing about it. :p

I’ve had three (Western-style) steeps on these leaves so far and am wondering if a fourth is worth the bother. The third steep was a bit on the thin side.

caile

Maybe best not to do a fourth then; it could just be disappointing. Three steeps is great though! :)

caile

Although…for experimentation sake, it wouldn’t hurt to try the fourth steep just to see how it turns out. :)

yyz

Happy birthday! Lovely when a tea becomes an instant favourite!

MzPriss

Happy Birthday! This makes me want to bust out my sample of this. Maybe for breakfast tomorrow.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

sorry we’re late to wish you a happy birthday, but we’re in China for this year’s harvest. Anyways, better late than never so: Happy Birthday! (and thank you for taking time to write such a nice review.) Cheers!