Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Alex
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 3 g 7 oz / 207 ml

• “Wow does this ever brew up dark, and taste like coffee. I shouldn't be surprised though, because the other version of it that I've tried had a similar flavour. Although this is quite drinkable...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2596 tasting notes
  • “Interesting! Random thoughts: -I had to check the packaging 3 times to make sure this was not caffenated. -It really reminds me of a roasty coffee -It's so thick and dark I can't help but wonder if...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “nice.... I figured i really should try the original orzo, since i started with the caramel/honey one. I'll also have to make sure i steal a cup of *Kittenna's* strawberry orzo before she picks up...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5351 tasting notes
  • “I was at Lupicia looking for soba-cha (buckwheat “tea”) or some similar non-caffeinated, roasted drink when I discovered this delightfully packaged Orzo product imported from Italy. Having had...” Read full tasting note
    mbrictson 10 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Cultivated since the ancient Roman times, the barley beverage – Orzo, when brewed to a slow boil, yields a deep and full-bodied texture and taste with a mild sweetness. Excellent with milk or with any dairy substitute.

About Lupicia View company

Wow does this ever brew up dark, and taste like coffee. I shouldn’t be surprised though, because the other version of it that I’ve tried had a similar flavour. Although this is quite drinkable straight, since it’s not astringent like coffee, I think it would be much better made into a latte… so I may do that either with this mug, or with the re-steep. Glad this was a 3-way split, because I prefer the honey version of this I’ve had previously.

(Fast-forward about an hour, during which time I failed to actually post this note.)

Ended up adding some skim milk and maple syrup to this, and the result is super yum. It’s just so strongly flavoured, lattes make a lot of sense.

Sami Kelsh

Oh man! My mum swears by orzo with lots of soy milk as her night-time drink of choice. I didn’t know Lupicia did one!

Kittenna

Yeah – and they do a bunch of flavoured ones as well! I’ve only tried one thus far, but have some of the Strawberry Orzo waiting.

Interesting!
Random thoughts:
-I had to check the packaging 3 times to make sure this was not caffenated.
-It really reminds me of a roasty coffee
-It’s so thick and dark I can’t help but wonder if it’ll turn my teeth black. Not brown; black.
-It’s unique and interesting. It takes a little getting used to but I can see how this would be a nice alternative to rooibos and honeybush teas in the evening!

nice…. I figured i really should try the original orzo, since i started with the caramel/honey one. I’ll also have to make sure i steal a cup of Kittenna’s strawberry orzo before she picks up her teas. :) I think i prefer soba from H&S for a normal cup of wheat sort of tea. However, the caramel/honey version of this is like a creamy cup of coffee for me and i love it. Normal orzo sits somehwere in between the two. I still love this cup, but it’s a little one dimensional…it’s like there’s something missing to push it over the edge to a wonderful cup of warm yum. still though? i’ll enjoy all of the rest of my cups…

VariaTEA

Have you tried Lupicia’s Pineapple Barley? That also sounded interesting.

i didn’t know it existed… either that or it was a tea bag haha. i tend to gloss over anything i can’t get loose.

I was at Lupicia looking for soba-cha (buckwheat “tea”) or some similar non-caffeinated, roasted drink when I discovered this delightfully packaged Orzo product imported from Italy. Having had barley tea (mugi-cha in Japanese), I was expecting a similar taste.

To my surprise this Orzo was incredibly strong and difficult to drink. The dried form looks like coarsely-ground coffee. When brewed, the grounds turn into a thick sludge that clogged up my infuser, and the resulting drink is dark and murky.

The flavor is like mugi-cha but magnified and with an unpleasant texture. I won’t be trying this again.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 7 OZ / 207 ML
yyz

In Italy it’s mostly marketed as a coffee substitute and it you ask for decaf you will most often be directed to this. Interesting thing about the texture.

mbrictson

Ah, makes sense. It definitely has the look of a coffee replacement.