Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Alex

• “Interesting! Random thoughts: -I had to check the packaging 3 times to make sure this was not caffenated. -It really reminds me of a roasty coffee -It's so thick and dark I can't help but wonder if...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1390 tasting notes
  • “nice.... I figured i really should try the original orzo, since i started with the caramel/honey one. I'll also have to make sure i steal a cup of *Kittenna's* strawberry orzo before she picks up...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “I was at Lupicia looking for soba-cha (buckwheat “tea”) or some similar non-caffeinated, roasted drink when I discovered this delightfully packaged Orzo product imported from Italy. Having had...” Read full tasting note
    mbrictson 10 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Cultivated since the ancient Roman times, the barley beverage – Orzo, when brewed to a slow boil, yields a deep and full-bodied texture and taste with a mild sweetness. Excellent with milk or with any dairy substitute.

About Lupicia View company

Interesting!
Random thoughts:
-I had to check the packaging 3 times to make sure this was not caffenated.
-It really reminds me of a roasty coffee
-It’s so thick and dark I can’t help but wonder if it’ll turn my teeth black. Not brown; black.
-It’s unique and interesting. It takes a little getting used to but I can see how this would be a nice alternative to rooibos and honeybush teas in the evening!

nice…. I figured i really should try the original orzo, since i started with the caramel/honey one. I’ll also have to make sure i steal a cup of Kittenna’s strawberry orzo before she picks up her teas. :) I think i prefer soba from H&S for a normal cup of wheat sort of tea. However, the caramel/honey version of this is like a creamy cup of coffee for me and i love it. Normal orzo sits somehwere in between the two. I still love this cup, but it’s a little one dimensional…it’s like there’s something missing to push it over the edge to a wonderful cup of warm yum. still though? i’ll enjoy all of the rest of my cups…

VariaTEA

Have you tried Lupicia’s Pineapple Barley? That also sounded interesting.

i didn’t know it existed… either that or it was a tea bag haha. i tend to gloss over anything i can’t get loose.

I was at Lupicia looking for soba-cha (buckwheat “tea”) or some similar non-caffeinated, roasted drink when I discovered this delightfully packaged Orzo product imported from Italy. Having had barley tea (mugi-cha in Japanese), I was expecting a similar taste.

To my surprise this Orzo was incredibly strong and difficult to drink. The dried form looks like coarsely-ground coffee. When brewed, the grounds turn into a thick sludge that clogged up my infuser, and the resulting drink is dark and murky.

The flavor is like mugi-cha but magnified and with an unpleasant texture. I won’t be trying this again.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 7 OZ / 207 ML
yyz

In Italy it’s mostly marketed as a coffee substitute and it you ask for decaf you will most often be directed to this. Interesting thing about the texture.

mbrictson

Ah, makes sense. It definitely has the look of a coffee replacement.