Matcha Black Soybean Rice Tea

Green Herbal Blend
Earth, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by cuteordeath

From Lupicia

A genmaicha (rice tea) blended with black beans and matcha to promote health.

About Lupicia View company

Thanks to Indigobloom for a sample of this interesting-sounding tea!

Yeah, so I probably shouldn’t be drinking this one at night. At least I kept myself from brewing up a couple mates that I have sitting in my “Drink Me!” pile! I was just so determined to try this one, though, that I didn’t care.

Anyhow, this one tastes much like a genmaicha, but I am definitely noticing the soybean. it’s coming in as a familiar flavour, that of roasted soybeans I’ve had as a snack. It adds a bit of additional… thickness/weight to the tea, which would otherwise be fairly light and toasty. It’s also adding a bit of a weird bitter flavour that I can’t say I’m terribly keen on. I can’t really taste the matcha in here (I don’t imagine it’s a terribly strong flavour, as there wouldn’t have been too much of it).

Although this is definitely an interesting tea that I am glad to have tried, I have to say that I prefer standard genmaichas (or genmaimatchas). The soybeans are adding a strange flavour that I just don’t particularly like, although the flavour difference would probably be unnoticeable if this was consumed with a meal (so perhaps I will try that?)

ETA: Bleh, yeah, the soybeans are definitely causing an off-flavour that I don’t care for. Perhaps I’ll try the rest of the tea I have without the soybeans, to make sure that’s the problem. I’m pretty sure it is though; it’s not necessarily an objectionable flavour, but one I don’t really care for.

Eh, soybean. Not an ingredient I associate with tea. But they tried, I guess.

It was recommended that I try it with rock sugar. Seemed to help a little!

Yeah, soybean + tea is not a normal combo.

Indigobloom – perhaps I’ll give that a shot if I remember :)

good luck heh

My first Lupicia tea!!!
A girlfriend of mine went to Japan visiting family and brought back a small tin of this for me. She’s a good friend :)
I received the gift last night and indulged in it this morning… so eager was I to try it out!
Funny thing though, I find I really need to be in the mood to enjoy a Genmaicha, and I simply wasn’t… sadly! Thus, my tea thirst was left unsatisfied. shrugs
As for the flavours, well I most definitely notice the rice, and the soybean. Not much different than your standard Genmaicha.
There is a strong roasted note, that reminds me of barley, which I suppose is the “bean” and toasted combo. Behind that there is a matcha sortof flavour, but I don’t find it very strong.
One of the other notes mentions adding some sugar, so I think I’ll try it that way as well next time.

Don’t give up girl! My granddaughters ONLY like it with sugar!

That sounds really interesting. Make sure to try it with sugar and tell us how it is then.

This one had always looked weird to me and I was afraid to try it!

Hmm, if you have enough of this I’m dying of curiousity now!!

Bonnie: I will try it that way then, for sure! too bad I left it at work…
MegWesley: You can bet I will :)
AmyOh: I remember reading the reviews ages ago and thinking the same!
Krystaleyn: Definitely!!

This is one of the samples I got got indigobloom. I had it the other night, so this is a bit of a backlog. I used the whole sample, but perhaps maybe I shouldn’t have. It was a strong genmai cha roasty toasty flavour, which isn’t a bad thing…I love genmai cha specifically for those flavours. I could detect a little of the soybean. I had a slightly bitter brew, but it might be due to using all the tea, or not being diligent enough to watch the water temp or time too closely.

This was still a nice tea. It is a nice one to try, and I appreciate the thought to blend this all together.

aw no, sorry it turned out bitter! :(

It wasn’t too bitter. It was still very exceptional. And it was bitter from my fault, not the tea. I still really really appreciate you sending it.

aw my pleasure Heather! :)

Thanks, A!

There have been a lot of sick people around me, primarily because it’s that time of the year for midterms. I felt like drinking something healthy aka grassy tasting so I steeped a pot of this. I need something to wake me up that isn’t black tea, but the toasty flavor may put me to sleep.

1.2 tbsp for 375 ml

Nice roasted flavour. Extra savoury and nutty tinge from the soybeans. Oceanic quality of the green is present but possibly milder when compared to other genmaichas. Mild roasted flavour. Clear/smooth/soup-y mouthfeel.

Thanks Indigobloom for sharing!

Sounds interesting

A very underrated tea in my opinion. Excellent toasty flavor and full body thanks to the matcha. Takes a splash of soy milk very well, which turns the liqueur a beautiful mint-green. You can even eat the beans and rice after brewing (they’re very tasty!)

How well does the Genmaicha taste show up?

I’d say you get toasty rice flavor as the forerunner. I’m not sure you even get much flavor from the beans themselves, actually. However, the matcha does give it a richer green tea flavor than one might expect from genmaicha.

Love this tea. It delightful with milk and honey.

Wiseman Tea Co.

I’ve never heard of soy beans in addition to the tea. What type of notes do you recieve from it?

I was eyeing this when I was on their website looking at teaware last nite. I’d never heard of it til then either, but I love teas w/ odd ingredients. I gotta try this one.

Just a short tasting note here. I honestly didn’t know what this was and thought it was a black tea so I used boiling water with it. It still came out fine though, just reminds me of genmaicha. I don’t think I am picking up the black soybean flavor… it is nutty and rice-y though. Not a bad morning cuppa, I don’t think I need to get any more though.

sounds….different heh

The DJBooth

Soybean Rice and Matcha? HMMMMMM.

I like this one but it’s definitely an unusual mix :)

Very interesting

ahh still really wanna try this one sometime! Seems so interesting!

hi! id like to try this tea :D care to swap?

@Kirkoneill1988 – I wish I could but I literally had the one teabag that came in the Lupicia holiday gift set.

that’s ok :)

I like the roasty flavor and can taste the soybean. Not really a fan of the murky look from the matcha, especially further down in the cup. Like it though… Good with cake :)

I’m back from my travels! This was also from The Book of Tea, from which I took a handful of samples before heading back. I realized on the train home that the samples were in the most accessible part of my luggage, so I brewed this one with the hot water that was provided. There’s something uniquely enjoyable about having a hot cup of your own tea while looking out at the ocean view along the California coast! Even the name of the cafe car is the Seaview Cafe—truly we’re spoiled to be living in such a beautiful place :)

The sachet contained sencha leaf bits and dark orange-colored toasted rice kernels, and was tinted green by matcha. There weren’t many black soybean pieces in there, or at least I didn’t find them. The tea brews up to a rich green tint as well. It’s nicely smooth and savory, moreso than the typical genmaicha. The soybean adds a very distinctive dimension. This might sound terrible to some, but it was “oily”—not in any offputting sense of the word, but rather, the natural oils of the rice and soybean had come through the toasting, and made it a very rich tea heavy on the grain notes. The nori (seaweed) quality of the tea was milder than the average sencha. Overall, it was a very substantial and highly unique genmaicha. If you like genmaicha and soybean, as I do, you’ll probably enjoy it!

Cameron B.

Sounds delish!

And we need to have a fancy tea party on a train! :D

I haven’t been much for bringing tea with me wherever I go in the past, but it’s sounding like a good idea!