Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea – Golden Tip

Caramel, Malt, Sweet Potatoes, Earth, Honey, Cocoa, Loam, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “When I raised the blind in my office this morning it was early daylight. It is in the mid 30’s and I could see frost covering the roof of the building next door. Southern Indiana has beautiful...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1158 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning..... I am down to the dregs of my first 50 grams of this tea. (Luckily, my pack rat tendencies had me purchase 100 grams from the outset!) It is wonderfully caramelly, sweet...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 956 tasting notes
  • “A little over a year ago, *Teavivre* sent a sample of this tea. Like so many others, I found that I had to have it, and finally placed my order a couple of months ago. One funny thing - a friend...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “It's been a busy day, so no real tasting notes on this, but I've reviewed it plenty of times. It's a lovely buttery rich brew, no astringency, smooth & sweet, & I can drink it on an empty stomach...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2495 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: orange pekoe colored buds

Harvest time: March 20, 2013

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 185 ºF (85 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: A good source of antioxidants and so will help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

When I raised the blind in my office this morning it was early daylight. It is in the mid 30’s and I could see frost covering the roof of the building next door. Southern Indiana has beautiful rolling hills. I can see them off on the horizon. They are purple and there is fog rising up between the layers of hills. Yep, fall is definitely in the air.

I have a stack of unopened samples I need to review. Not today. I want something to warm my innards and put a guaranteed smile on my face. I grabbed this one. Amazingly I still have enough for today and one more down the road. Woot! There, I am smiling already. Anyway, this gets my vote for one of the most beautiful dry leaves to behold. They look like fall. Perfect choice.

This is so comforting. For a brief moment I can almost forget the troubles of my world. The company just got this years insurance quotes. I know this is going to cost me. If you are a politician, insurance person, or health care provider, don’t tell me today, so I won’t be tempted to punch you. Oops, takes another sip. Ahhh. Three much needed mugs of joy. At the moment I have heat, a roof over my head, and excellent tea. Rejoice! I say it again Rejoice!

Upped the rating!

Azzrian

Oh it sounds so lovely there! :)

Insence&Tea

Nice review. I just ordered the full leaf version of this and can’t wait for it to arrive

Mercuryhime

You could be a novelist. :)

gmathis

Here’s to a good cuppa to drown out the noise of the rest of the world.

Grace

I second that ;)

Tea of the morning…..

I am down to the dregs of my first 50 grams of this tea. (Luckily, my pack rat tendencies had me purchase 100 grams from the outset!) It is wonderfully caramelly, sweet potatoey, with a bit of maltiness. I love this one. And I am enjoying my crisp, nearly-summer morning before the wheels get rolling.

Usual teapot method.

Bonnie

Yum the best black flavors!

teataku

I love my sample of this tea and am very sad it’s almost gone! It’s one of my favorite morning teas because it’s chocolate-y but also robust, not so unlike Irish Breakfast. :)

A little over a year ago, Teavivre sent a sample of this tea. Like so many others, I found that I had to have it, and finally placed my order a couple of months ago. One funny thing – a friend of mine who used to drink just some of the nicer tea bag tea has gotten hooked on better loose leaf teas since we started having tea together. I signed her up for the Teavivre samples and this is one that I told her to get. When she mentioned ordering again, she actually shivered when she named this tea as one that is going on the next order! Ha ha! I understand! I have the tea shivers myself a few times. Mostly with Teavivre teas.

This one is rich warm sweet potato goodness. I made a pot of tea, some apple cubes, and Kerrygold Dubliner cheese to nibble on while youngest and I do her German lesson. I will be serving it again later today for tea time. Excellent tea!

It’s been a busy day, so no real tasting notes on this, but I’ve reviewed it plenty of times. It’s a lovely buttery rich brew, no astringency, smooth & sweet, & I can drink it on an empty stomach whilst contemplating what to have for breakfast, & that’s what I did this morning.

TheTeaFairy

I,ve had my share of black teas today, but now you remind me I could totally fix myself a cup of this wonderful tea :-)

Terri HarpLady

Glad to inspire! :)

Tea of the morning. I was getting more caramel notes today than usual. Maybe it’s because I used close to 3 tsp of leaf. I still have a little bit of this sample left, so I will have to try over leafing again to see if I can re-create the delicious caramel notes
Resteep was just about as good

KittyLovesTea

This is one of my personal favourites, nice to see that you like it too :)

Many thanks to Teavivre for this generous sample!

Oh, this one is fantastic! Gentle, golden, BRIGHT sweet potatoes! I’ve had only one other of this type of tea, and in comparison, this has a bit of…orange? to it. Sort of like you put a touch of orange juice in your baked sweet potatoes? And let me also emphasize the word baked. There is definitely some sort of delicious crust to this ;) This is one special unflavored, delicious exactly as nature produced it tea!!!!

I have to also add that the leaves are so fluffy and gorgeous! They smell so wonderful, too.

Rumor has it that this is an excellent resteeper, and what good timing – I am in the mood for steep after steep today! Off to make some more water :) This is GREAT!

JacquelineM

Wanted to add that I had four delicious steeps of this beauty! I adore this tea!

Kashyap

i’m glad i’m not the only one who picked up a roasted pumpkin/squash/citrus hint on this :)

The Tea Show

Wow, perfectly put! That note about baked sweet potatoes with a touch of orange juice and crust is really a valid flavor that I’m getting from this tea as well. – don’t think I could have ever put it into words though.

This is one of my favorite teas, and so delicious on this wintery day.
Buttery sweet potato with orange and pepper. So rich and tasty!!
Going to re-steep for another cup as this one went fast!

Sample sip down! One of the teas I brought with me that arrived before I left for the cottage that I took so that I wouldn’t have to add them to my cupboard ha! This is a really nice black that I. Happy to have tried. Theres a smoothness to it that I quite like.

I got a new round of tea samples from the wonderful Angel at Teavivre. This is the first one from the new set and I decided to actually write down the steeps in my journal before logging them into Steepster. It was fun actually writing down a tea tasting in my neon pink ink.

Steep 1: Brewed for two minutes. The tea smells dark and the liquor is a deep warm brown. The first taste is more earth and then a slightly sweet taste creeps in along the sides of your tongue. I looked at the tea packet and saw that it suggested a lower water temperature than I used so I am going to try a lower water temperature with the next steep and see if that changes things.

Steep 2: Brewed for 2.5 minutes. The liquor is slightly paler, but not by that much. It looks more like a dark topaz. It smells slightly like a sweet potato that has been taken out of the dirt and then quickly sprayed off so that it is clean but bits of earth are still clinging to the skin.

The taste is amazing. A very faint cocoa note that mixes with the previous taste to make an amazing slightly sweet rye bread. The kind that is just out of the oven. The crust is crisp and the crumb (the soft part of the bread) is so soft that it deflates in your mouth and releases a burst of flavor. So delicious.

Steep 3: Brewed for 3.5 minutes. The liquor is a light bronze. The flavor of rye bread is still there but it has a slight sweet potato taste to it now. This steep is a little watery, but I think if I had brewed it for another minute it would have been better. This is the last steep for the night.

Overall, this tastes very different from the full leaf version, but I love that it is so different. It just tastes good and makes me think of a warm kitchen when I was little. My mom doesn’t like rye bread so she never made it, but she did make bread. I can let my imagination fill in that it tasted like this tea and I would be content wherever I was at the moment. Delicious.

TheTeaFairy

after reading this, I made a pot of the last bit I had left of this wonderful tea…on the shopping list it goes!

MegWesley

I have that effect on people when I finally get to try teas. lol. Last time it was for the jasmine silver needle.

Okay, something crazy has happened to me. Ever since I had that extraordinary cup of Laoshan Black, I’ve been craving a cup of black tea every morning. It’s crazy! I’ve never been a huge fan of black teas! Especially not unflavored and unsweetened black teas. The world has gone insane! Insaaaane!

So because I’ve never had this fondness for black teas, I have no black teas in my collection. None! I wake up this morning with a craving for a black tea knowing that I probably have none. With I sigh, I rummage through my samples to find a puerh or dark oolong or something else that might be like black tea. Then I come upon this sample from Teavivre! I’ve sampled this tea before and couldn’t find anything special about it. At the time, it just tasted like black tea. Whatevs.

But today! Today was different! The leaves smell so sweet and pastry like! Like a biscuit! And the flavor! I definitely am finding that baked sweet potato everyone is talking about! Tasty! Sweet potatoes baked with a touch of honey and and dash of spice! What a lovely fall tea! Now I have a whole category of tea to be obsessed about! And I will need more tea to add to my stash! Halp!

Gotta move this rating up from 70. 70! What was I thinking?!

Edit: Might I just add this this tea is perfect with a holiday morning breakfast of amaretto matcha brownies. Yes, brownies can be for breakfast because I’m an adult now! Sorry Mom!

Azzrian

Haha it happens to me too – I go through stages of what I crave – I think a lot of us do that. Welcome to the “dark” side haha.

ashmanra

Oh my gosh. Amaretto matcha brownies? Guess what I will be ordering next week…

Mercuryhime

Thanks! I think it’s more than a change change in craving. More a change in tastebuds. Either way, there’s a lot more possibilities for me now that I probably won’t be avoiding black teas anymore! :)

Mercuryhime

Ashmanra, they are so tasty! I was debating between the amaretto and the hazelnut matcha, but I ultimately went with the amaretto because I had almonds I could sprinkle on top. :) Next time it’s hazelnut for sure!

Dinosara

Haha this exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. I never liked unflavored black tea (at all!), and then suddenly I have a revalation I want it all the time. I think Teavivre’s Bailin Gong Fu was the catalyst for me… you should try that one if you haven’t! And their Black Dragon Pearls!

Mercuryhime

I totally want to now! Will look into that once my tea acquiring hiatus is over.

ashmanra

Mmmm, ju st got the Fengqing Black Dragon Pearls myself. Tasty!

Babble

I’m so finnicky with my black tea. I may have to check this out. Although the gong fu was a little disappointing to me (but I’m hard to impress when it comes to black tea). I do like darjeelings though :)

Mercuryhime

Verdant’s Laoshan Black will blow your mind. I had another cup today and each sip was like a miracle every time. Wow. So if you want a straight black that impresses.., well that’s the one that turned me. :)

Donna A

Like Dinosara, Teavivre’s Bailin Gong Fu was the turning point for me on black tea. I love this one too, maybe even more than Bailin Gong Fu, as well as their Black Dragon Pearls. Verdant’s Golden Fleece was my all time favorite black, but sold out.