Chinese Black Tea, Organic Vanilla Beans, Saffron, Wildcrafted Roasted Cedar Leaves
Cedar, Eucalyptus, Malt, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

• “This is a really unique and tasty tea blend :) The aroma is Amazing, the wonderful sweet clean sects of Vanilla and Saffron, best enjoyed with a long, slow sniff, Mmmmmm... On the first sip of...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 446 tasting notes
  • “**The Inspiration** Tucker Lake is an inland lake in Glen Arbor, Michigan. In the summertime, a thin layer of fog forms around the lake during the night. Each sunrise brings a light breeze to the...” Read full tasting note
    whisperingpinestea 60 tasting notes
  • “I really like this tea. It's earthy and woodsy and the vanilla goes with it perfectly. As with each of the Whispering Pines teas I've tried, it's truly unique- and delicious!” Read full tasting note
    KristiK 20 tasting notes
  • “This sample is courtesy of *MzPriss*. Thank you! I can't believe you shared this one with me:) This is such a special tea. I will be honest, I was really scared to try it for fear of the...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 332 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
Tucker Lake is an inland lake in Glen Arbor, Michigan. In the summertime, a thin layer of fog forms around the lake during the night. Each sunrise brings a light breeze to the lake, pushing the fog northward. If you row out to just the right spot and wait for the sunrise, the breeze pushes the fog right into your canoe. There is a freshness to this fog that defies all explanation. Through the trees to the south of the lake and over Dunns Farm Road, the essence of this place becomes captured in the fog. The journey begins at a small dock across the road at Fisher Lake where the rustic scent of old wooden boats and crystal clear water billows into the fog. Warm and inviting, the fog pushes through the narrow stream connecting the lakes, rolling over summer trilliums and whispering through the pine trees, becoming as sweet and warm as everything it touches. When the sun rises, the fog warms, energizes, and just before disappearing, it reaches your canoe. The last breath of fog is vanilla-sweet and saffron-warm with an energy I can not even begin to describe. As the sun rises above the trees and the bald eagles soar the skies above, you wonder why you’d ever leave.

Port was inspired by this unexplainable scent and moment in time. I wanted to create the best blend I could, something to match one of my most beautiful memories. The base of this tea is a wild-picked black tea from Dehong, China, carrying intensely complex notes of sugarcane, eucalyptus, and barley over a deep rustic body. I tried all of our usual herbs, spices, and flowers, but nothing came close to matching the freshness of this memory, so I took the plunge and used the two ingredients that I knew would bring me back to Tucker Lake – organic madagasgar vanilla beans and spanish saffron. The result was a more perfect incarnation than I could have ever imagined. Port has the most beautiful vanilla notes, a rustic base tea, perfect saffron warmth, and is rounded out with the evergreen sweetness of roasted red cedar tips.

I can proudly say that this is my greatest achievement!

Notes

Madagascar Vanilla Beans
Spanish Saffron

Caffeine Content

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This is a really unique and tasty tea blend :)
The aroma is Amazing, the wonderful sweet clean sects of Vanilla and Saffron, best enjoyed with a long, slow sniff, Mmmmmm…
On the first sip of Port I was greeted with the wonderful sweet flavors of the Vanilla and Saffron that I had just been enjoying sniffs of and I was just lost, for a minute there all of my thoughts and others concerns kinda went out the window, I was just in a peaceful state of bliss.
The taste of the first steep was a perfect reflection of the aroma and just so good, it is kinda hard to describe. Second and third Steeps were even better and I was able to taste more of the Tea itself, nice and bold slightly malty, a nice solid tea that seems to be pleasantly “softened” by the taste of the Vanilla and Saffron, which is still so hard to describe.
I was able to get 6 nice infusions from this one with no problem at all, the flavors really held up well untill abut the 4th infusion but even then 5 and 6 were still quite tastey.
This Tea to me was awesome and Like I had said before Hard to Describe, I know exactly how it tastes to me but I hard a had time to put it in words to type but Heres the best I could come up with.
Have you ever been out walking or on a hike somewhere in the woods or wilderness? When You are out hiking like that and you come near water like a lake or a pond or something most people can tell that water is near, I dunno something in the air changes the smell and feel and closer you get to water the stronger it is(it’s a sensation you can taste, feel and smell, If you are not much on the outdoors you may have no clue what I’m talking about, Sorry) Anyways, That is kinda what saffron or safflower even is like to me, very nice clean. It tastes like this clean Aroma of water with soft sweet Vanilla swirled with malty, roasty almost woody goodness. It is just awesome.
Insipred by Tucker Lake, I’ve never been there But I can totally get why a Lake would be the inspiration for this Tea because really My very first thought on my first sip was the thought of feeling a nearby Lake.

TheTeaFairy

I do know what you are talking about Tommy, nicely described :-)

ashmanra

I understand! Good job describing it, Tommy!

The Inspiration

I can proudly say that this is my greatest achievement!

Notes

Organic Madagasgar Vanilla Beans
Spanish Saffron

Caffeine Content

MissLena

This sounds like a wonderful blend! Definitely going to be a part of my next order!

JustJames

sounds very intriguing….

I really like this tea. It’s earthy and woodsy and the vanilla goes with it perfectly. As with each of the Whispering Pines teas I’ve tried, it’s truly unique- and delicious!

This sample is courtesy of MzPriss. Thank you!

I can’t believe you shared this one with me:) This is such a special tea. I will be honest, I was really scared to try it for fear of the price point and the hype. I finally caved today. This is all it is cracked up to be. This tea brings me back to all of my favorite back packing trips, staring at stars around the fire in places that make you feel so small. I can’t really explain the flavor. There is a lot going on here. Black base, sweet, vanilla, cold figure tips and chilled nose. Opps, I am letting my memories slip into my taste buds. This is really good and it has brought a smile to my face this evening! Thank you MzPriss for this special treat.

Sarsonator

I love teas that evoke lovely memories! This one is definitely awesome.

MzPriss

You are so welcome! I’m really glad you like it so much!

This is gold…

Cheri

This is one of those teas that I really want to try, but I think I’m not quite ready for. (Brenden even told me he thought I’d do better with another tea for now.) I love love love saffron, and for that reason alone, I’d love to try this tea. Maybe in a few months….

I love everything evergreen in my tea, and this one fully delivers. I’d previously pegged down White Wolf, from Bellocq, as my quintessential, super-expensive, cedar-vanilla tea but this one is really good too.

Port has a nice balance of flavours: cedar, smooth vanilla bean, and accents of salt and of something “nippy” that is distinctly eucalyptus. It’s a nice level of eucalyptus, and not at all like the time that I put a little too much eucalyptus oil on my hot hand towel and inhaled deeply- when hot, that stuff burns with righteous intensity. I probably won a Darwinian award somewhere in that story.

This is a “darker” tea than my other cedar-vanilla option, which has a white tea base. However, it also isn’t as cold, and so set in the dead of winter, as my other one. I can drink this at the lake camp in the midst of a broiling summer too, or on a foggy autumnal day.

I haven’t had a lot of exposure to saffron and I’m going to have to carefully budget it out, but I love this tea and I want it to be a part of my life! Also, the dry blend reminds me ever so slightly of marzipan. It also resteeps well, although the cedar is more pronounced in the second steep.

Flavors: Cedar, Eucalyptus, Malt, Vanilla

TheTeaFairy

It is expensive, but it is so worth it, I love Port. Have you tried cold steeping the used leaves? I put them in a mason jar for 24 hours and I get so much vanilla goodness!

CrowKettle

I haven’t yet, but I’m planning too; my other cedar-vanilla tea cold steeped really well too. Do you think I’d get any flavour out of leaves I’ve already steeped three times?

TheTeaFairy

Yes!!! I did mine after 3 steeps!! i figured I pay big bucks for this baby, might as well get the best out of it…minimum 24h or more…it tastes like vanilla water, subtle but very yummy.

Cavocorax

Guess this is going onto my shopping list! :P

CrowKettle

Ok, I’m looking forward to revisiting that jar in a 24h time period. Fingers crossed!

I can send you a sample, Cavo! It’s so expensive, I’d rather you tried it that way, especially if you’re not a crazy cedar fan like I am. :)

This one comes from the ever so lovely CrowKettle along with a few other WP teas and a few other odds and ends. This one caught my interest when she said recently that it tasted like marzipan, or somewhat dessert-like. Then today when she gave it to me, she also mentioned the cedar and eucalyptus notes. Colour me intrigued and confused.

So I went to look at steeping parameters, and it said to use 1 tablespoon for 8 oz, and I was like, huh? Thinking it was a typo and that it was 1 teaspoon, I opted to try the smaller amount. I’m not sure if it is in fact a typo, but that is how I made it.

The liquor is much paler than I was expecting. Which maybe is under leafing? I don’t know. I went into drinking this one with the hopes I got a more dessert-y feel, and I did, though I can kind of pick up that slightly minty-ishness of the eucalyptus. It is sold of like a coolish feeling going down, but not like peppermint or spearmint or anything really strong. I can kind of pick out the sweeter vanilla note, but not sure on the saffron or really what that should taste like.

I did use sugar for both of my steeps which makes it less woodsy to me. I’m not the hugest fan of woodsy, to be honest, and that part of the description is what threw me off on wanting to try this, until it was compared to marzipan. I can’t quite say it is like marzipan, but I can get a sort of dessert note, probably from the vanilla and saffron. Marzipan is a bit more almondy.

I’d have to say this feels like a masculine tea, playing a bit of dress up, and trying on a little bit of a feminine feel. I have to say I am a little confused and mystified about this one. I have enough for another serving, and I can probably get one more steep out of this. I might look at cold steeping the last bit, or a steeping from the last bit, as was suggested.

I can’t say whether I would recommend the to anyone because it is such a peculiar yet specific note that the person really has to like more woodsy notes in their tea. But that’s just not my thing. For what it is, I like it more than I thought I would based on the description alone. Thanks again to CrowKettle for sharing this with me, and pushing me out of my comfort zone.

CrowKettle

I think it smells like marzipan more than it tastes like it, in a David’s Tea Alpine Punch kind of way, but yeah.. lots of interesting things going on in this cup, for sure!

Amariel

I can pick that up, with you having said that, but not sure I would on my own…but def a dessert quality.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Just updated the steeping info on Steepster. It should have read 1/2 tablespoon in 200ºF water for 3 minutes. If you’ve got enough for another steep, I’d love to hear if your opinions change at all! :)

Amariel

I used a heaping teaspoon, so that should have been about 1/2 tablespoon, but it was for 12 oz. I have a little sample left, so I’ll how much is left in that.

I usually don’t cold steep spent leaves unless I drink oolong or pu’erh, they have so much to give, I often stop my sessions and just cold brew the rest.

Yesterday, this one was weak for me at the third cup. I would normally just dispose of it. But I thought that maybe the vanilla bean in it could still gift me with some goodness, so I tried.

It filled a 24oz jar for 20 hours in the fridge. I thought this is way too much water for such a little bit of tea, it will probably taste like noting…WRONG!

OMG!!! It’s hot here today and this is soooo refreshing!

It tastes like vanilla sugar, so deliciously yummy.

I conclude that this tea might be expensive but out of 1/2 tablespoon, I got three hot 8oz cups and a 24oz jar of iced tea!

I’d say not a bad yielding ratio :-)

Cheri

Oooh! Good to know. Now I just need to buy some.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I love coldbrewing this one! I don’t think I’ve ever actually tried to make something with old Port leaves and been disappointed by flavor – it really seems to just keep giving!

inranger

Sounds like a bargain to me!

TheTeaFairy

Cheri, can’t wait to hear what you think about it!

Inranger, it is when you look at it this way instead of just price tag…

Brenden, I like this one wayyy too much! Now I feel like having it cold steeped all summer long…will try the same with Golden Orchid when it gets here.

Cheri

Well, I’ve already got an imaginary order with WPTC going…hopefully next month I can come off tea buying hiatus and actually place it. (It’s looking good. I need to double check the credit card statement when it comes and make sure I get through the rest of the month accident free.)

TheTeaFairy

Well I hope your imaginary order becomes reality ;-)

inranger

Just waiting on the Ailaoshan Black for my first order. According to my calculations that means in about 2 weeks I can enjoy me some WP goodness. Anticipation is a wonderful thing. :)

TheTeaFairy

Oh, inranger, don’t I know, anticipation IS wonderful…as long as it doesn’t last too long :-) But Ailaoshan is totally worth the wait! Have you decided on the other teas you are getting from WP?

inranger

Yes, a savant fairy gave me a suggestion list which is now saved on my WP wishlist, then Brendan suggested on more that I’ve added. My list must be up around 8 or so teas by now. :)

TheTeaFairy

Haha! never been called a “savant fairy” before, but I do know great tea when I see it ;-)
What ever you choose, I’m sure you’ll be happy with it!

Sarsonator

Very interesting. I’ve seen posts about cold steeping “used” leaves before. I am going to need to try that, starting with my Port!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I frequently take all of the leaves from each tea i’ve steeped over the day and make a pot of it all together coldbrewed. I have not once had a pot that didnt taste delicious :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

It’s also fun too, because each pot of tea is totally unique and not something that can really be re-created easily :)

Awesome idea :-)

TheTeaFairy

I’ll be interested to find out what you think Sarsonator.

I am drinking this little lovely while watching the super moon! I love the creamy vanilla scent of this tea. It also tastes a little spicy today. Weird!

I added a little maple syrup, even though I also like this plain. Saturday night yums!!!!

Edit: Now I added kirschwasser! I love tea!!!! Yay!!!

Good tea habits ;-)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

This one takes wonderfully to a splash of Baileys, too :)

Sarsonator

I am in my tea happy place!!!!

I’m drinking my fifth steeping of this today, after forgetting the leaves for a day or two… It’s not as fantastic as the first few, but still good. I’m sad today and I have zero energy right now, so I hope tea will help…

__Morgana__

When I first saw the name of this I wondered whether it tasted like the dessert wine, but then I read the description and found out I was barking up the entirely wrong tree. ;-)

Iridium

Me too, actually, but I’ve found that smelling it is a little reminiscent of enjoying a glass of wine by the lake, under the open sky, after a day outdoors… I’m not really sure why, must just be the memories it brings back.