Chinese Black Tea, Organic Vanilla Beans, Saffron, Wildcrafted Roasted Cedar Leaves
Alcohol, Leather, Menthol, Roasted, Scotch, Vanilla, Wood, Cedar, Eucalyptus, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The Inspiration
Tucker Lake is an inland lake in Glen Arbor, Michigan. In the summertime, a thin layer of fog forms around the lake during the night. Each sunrise brings a light breeze to the lake, pushing the fog northward. If you row out to just the right spot and wait for the sunrise, the breeze pushes the fog right into your canoe. There is a freshness to this fog that defies all explanation. Through the trees to the south of the lake and over Dunns Farm Road, the essence of this place becomes captured in the fog. The journey begins at a small dock across the road at Fisher Lake where the rustic scent of old wooden boats and crystal clear water billows into the fog. Warm and inviting, the fog pushes through the narrow stream connecting the lakes, rolling over summer trilliums and whispering through the pine trees, becoming as sweet and warm as everything it touches. When the sun rises, the fog warms, energizes, and just before disappearing, it reaches your canoe. The last breath of fog is vanilla-sweet and saffron-warm with an energy I can not even begin to describe. As the sun rises above the trees and the bald eagles soar the skies above, you wonder why you’d ever leave.

Port was inspired by this unexplainable scent and moment in time. I wanted to create the best blend I could, something to match one of my most beautiful memories. The base of this tea is a wild-picked black tea from Dehong, China, carrying intensely complex notes of sugarcane, eucalyptus, and barley over a deep rustic body. I tried all of our usual herbs, spices, and flowers, but nothing came close to matching the freshness of this memory, so I took the plunge and used the two ingredients that I knew would bring me back to Tucker Lake – organic madagasgar vanilla beans and spanish saffron. The result was a more perfect incarnation than I could have ever imagined. Port has the most beautiful vanilla notes, a rustic base tea, perfect saffron warmth, and is rounded out with the evergreen sweetness of roasted red cedar tips.

I can proudly say that this is my greatest achievement!

Notes

Madagascar Vanilla Beans
Spanish Saffron

Caffeine Content

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This is a really unique and tasty tea blend :)
The aroma is Amazing, the wonderful sweet clean sects of Vanilla and Saffron, best enjoyed with a long, slow sniff, Mmmmmm…
On the first sip of Port I was greeted with the wonderful sweet flavors of the Vanilla and Saffron that I had just been enjoying sniffs of and I was just lost, for a minute there all of my thoughts and others concerns kinda went out the window, I was just in a peaceful state of bliss.
The taste of the first steep was a perfect reflection of the aroma and just so good, it is kinda hard to describe. Second and third Steeps were even better and I was able to taste more of the Tea itself, nice and bold slightly malty, a nice solid tea that seems to be pleasantly “softened” by the taste of the Vanilla and Saffron, which is still so hard to describe.
I was able to get 6 nice infusions from this one with no problem at all, the flavors really held up well untill abut the 4th infusion but even then 5 and 6 were still quite tastey.
This Tea to me was awesome and Like I had said before Hard to Describe, I know exactly how it tastes to me but I hard a had time to put it in words to type but Heres the best I could come up with.
Have you ever been out walking or on a hike somewhere in the woods or wilderness? When You are out hiking like that and you come near water like a lake or a pond or something most people can tell that water is near, I dunno something in the air changes the smell and feel and closer you get to water the stronger it is(it’s a sensation you can taste, feel and smell, If you are not much on the outdoors you may have no clue what I’m talking about, Sorry) Anyways, That is kinda what saffron or safflower even is like to me, very nice clean. It tastes like this clean Aroma of water with soft sweet Vanilla swirled with malty, roasty almost woody goodness. It is just awesome.
Insipred by Tucker Lake, I’ve never been there But I can totally get why a Lake would be the inspiration for this Tea because really My very first thought on my first sip was the thought of feeling a nearby Lake.

TheTeaFairy

I do know what you are talking about Tommy, nicely described :-)

ashmanra

I understand! Good job describing it, Tommy!

The Inspiration

I can proudly say that this is my greatest achievement!

Notes

Organic Madagasgar Vanilla Beans
Spanish Saffron

Caffeine Content

MissLena

This sounds like a wonderful blend! Definitely going to be a part of my next order!

JustJames

sounds very intriguing….

I really like this tea. It’s earthy and woodsy and the vanilla goes with it perfectly. As with each of the Whispering Pines teas I’ve tried, it’s truly unique- and delicious!

WOW this tea is really unique! Thanks for the sample Cameron B!

I’ve never tasted Cedar before. I guess that is what is giving the overall alcoholic feel to the tea. It does remind me of bourbon or scotch or something! There’s a sweetness to it, and a woodiness and creaminess. Very interesting. It is dark and somewhat rich. I like it but this would not be an everyday drinking tea for me!

Cheri

It’s too expensive to drink every day.

Thanks so much to Dexter for sending me samples of these pricey Whispering Pines teas! The leaves of this one are rather broken, but I think that’s mostly because it came from the bottom of the package. I can see the cedar leaves and a few scant saffron fragments mixed in. Dry scent is earthy, woody, and reminds me of scotch.

This tea has a very manly aroma. It’s a mixture of woody and leather with a touch of vanilla, and makes me think of a study with a vintage wooden desk and leather-bound books. Hmm, this one is actually quite interesting. It tastes much as I would expect it to from the aroma – there’s a strong woody flavor and roasty note. It tastes almost exactly like high-quality scotch to me (I don’t drink, but my boyfriend loves scotch so I’ve tasted his on multiple occasions). I can taste a hint of menthol at the end of the sip. Overall, very unique, though I don’t see this being worth the price.

Flavors: Alcohol, Leather, Menthol, Roasted, Scotch, Vanilla, Wood

The first steeping of this was a little confused, I couldn’t figure out just what I was tasting. I tasted the vanilla and probably the saffron, both strong, both powerful, competing. As I continued to steep this the vanilla got slowly stronger. By the fifth steeping the vanilla was dominate. The other flavors moved to the back burner. This was a really good tea. I would probably rate this tea lower if I had only steeped it once. This is definitely a tea for multiple steepings.

I steeped this five times in a 8oz YIxing teapot. I used 2 tsp leaf and boiling water. I steeped it for 2 min, 2.5 min, 3 min, 4 min, and 5 min. It was delightful by the fifth steeping. I will have to consider buying some of this.

Flavors: Vanilla

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you enjoyed this one too! :-) You should try steeping this in a glazed or glass teapot or gaiwan. I think there’s a lot more complexity here which your yixing may be diminishing a bit. I have a yixing pot seasoned only for this tea. :-D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Also, thank you…I’m going to make some now :D hehe

AllanK

My yixing is seasoned for black tea, although not specifically Port.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ahh okay. Well, if you decide to get some (or have more), I’d love to hear if it’s any different for you in a non-yixing vessel. I’m really happy you’re having a great experience with my teas!

AllanK

I have a little left of my sample from Sarsonator. I will try it in a glazed teapot sometime next week.

Another lovely, amazing, generous sample from Dexter in my quest to try more WP teas before i make my first purchase. I know this wasn’t the tea for dexter, so i wasn’t sure what to expect. Especially since i also know that my dear teafairy enjoys this one.

After brewing this one, and trying a few steepings, i’ve come to the conclusion that i don’t know how i feel about this one. On the one handle i enjoy the complexity and the “different” feel of this tea…on the other – it’s fairly expensive a tea, and not likely something that i could afford to drink often, so is it worth it? I have other teas that i ADORE that are less expensive and bring me great joy. I enjoyed the cedar notes in this, and i really do love the base than brendan uses. I think though, that i’d be better off to splurge on another tea for the price. that being said, i did enjoy this tea and i can see why others have fallen in love with it. It’s just not high enough on my list to warrant purchasing :) At least not often heh. Thanks again Dexter!!

Dexter

You can thank Brendan for this one – it was a free sample in my order. I can’t get past the “cedar notes” (aka tree taste). This one is pricey and it might be a good thing for my wallet not to love all of them. :))

Nice. And I totally agree….

TheTeaFairy

Hehe! I’m glad you got to try it lovely girl :-)

I have two samples of this in my house – the lovely TheTeaFairy was kind enough to send me some, and then Brendan included this as a sample with my order. Thank you very much to both of you.

This is wasted on me. Sorry guys, can’t do it – I can not get past the pine/eucalyptus/cedar, whatever that tree taste is. I’m not getting any saffron, very little vanilla – it’s just lost behind the tree taste.

Maybe I’m too much of a city girl to appreciate this…..

OMGsrsly

It sounds like a neat blend, but I’m the kind of person who chewed on spruce sap in the winter, and pine buds in the spring… :)

Dexter

LOL then you would probably like this….

OMGsrsly

Maybe. I tried the white wolf from Bellocq, but I found the mint took everything over.

I seriously need to consider a Whispering Pines order. One day. :) Maybe when I have fewer teas!

TheTeaFairy

Oh noooo! So sorry you had such a bad experience…And I’ve been bragging so much about it, lol. Oh well, at least you can scratch off your list :-) i like it so much, I’m dedicating on of my yixing clay pot just for it!

And OMGsrsly, I’m like you!! Totally chewing on pine buds :-)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Aww sad you didn’t like this one! Definitely not for everyone. I think you should give Golden Orchid a try next though ;-)

OMGsrsly

Just be careful with the spruce sap, TeaFairy! If you don’t get the right variety it dissolves instead of acting like gum. And if it dissolves it’s so gross. :D

Lol “tree taste”

This sample is courtesy of MzPriss. Thank you!

I can’t believe you shared this one with me:) This is such a special tea. I will be honest, I was really scared to try it for fear of the price point and the hype. I finally caved today. This is all it is cracked up to be. This tea brings me back to all of my favorite back packing trips, staring at stars around the fire in places that make you feel so small. I can’t really explain the flavor. There is a lot going on here. Black base, sweet, vanilla, cold figure tips and chilled nose. Opps, I am letting my memories slip into my taste buds. This is really good and it has brought a smile to my face this evening! Thank you MzPriss for this special treat.

Sarsonator

I love teas that evoke lovely memories! This one is definitely awesome.

MzPriss

You are so welcome! I’m really glad you like it so much!

This is gold…

Cheri

This is one of those teas that I really want to try, but I think I’m not quite ready for. (Brenden even told me he thought I’d do better with another tea for now.) I love love love saffron, and for that reason alone, I’d love to try this tea. Maybe in a few months….

I love everything evergreen in my tea, and this one fully delivers. I’d previously pegged down White Wolf, from Bellocq, as my quintessential, super-expensive, cedar-vanilla tea but this one is really good too.

Port has a nice balance of flavours: cedar, smooth vanilla bean, and accents of salt and of something “nippy” that is distinctly eucalyptus. It’s a nice level of eucalyptus, and not at all like the time that I put a little too much eucalyptus oil on my hot hand towel and inhaled deeply- when hot, that stuff burns with righteous intensity. I probably won a Darwinian award somewhere in that story.

This is a “darker” tea than my other cedar-vanilla option, which has a white tea base. However, it also isn’t as cold, and so set in the dead of winter, as my other one. I can drink this at the lake camp in the midst of a broiling summer too, or on a foggy autumnal day.

I haven’t had a lot of exposure to saffron and I’m going to have to carefully budget it out, but I love this tea and I want it to be a part of my life! Also, the dry blend reminds me ever so slightly of marzipan. It also resteeps well, although the cedar is more pronounced in the second steep.

Flavors: Cedar, Eucalyptus, Malt, Vanilla

TheTeaFairy

It is expensive, but it is so worth it, I love Port. Have you tried cold steeping the used leaves? I put them in a mason jar for 24 hours and I get so much vanilla goodness!

CrowKettle

I haven’t yet, but I’m planning too; my other cedar-vanilla tea cold steeped really well too. Do you think I’d get any flavour out of leaves I’ve already steeped three times?

TheTeaFairy

Yes!!! I did mine after 3 steeps!! i figured I pay big bucks for this baby, might as well get the best out of it…minimum 24h or more…it tastes like vanilla water, subtle but very yummy.

Cavocorax

Guess this is going onto my shopping list! :P

CrowKettle

Ok, I’m looking forward to revisiting that jar in a 24h time period. Fingers crossed!

I can send you a sample, Cavo! It’s so expensive, I’d rather you tried it that way, especially if you’re not a crazy cedar fan like I am. :)