drank Vanilla Mint by Golden Moon Tea

At first glance, this tea is an unusual mix of flavours: green tea, black tea, mint, and vanilla. I’ve found that I’m not a huge fan of mixing green tea and vanilla together, but I don’t mind black tea and vanilla, and mint goes well with both kinds. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was prepared for something discordant when I tasted it, and that expectation was reinforced when smelling the dry leaf – smelling vanilla and mint together is just a weird combination for me.

But what’s this? When brewed up, it’s surprisingly smooth, and well blended! The flavours are distinct, but they don’t fight against each other, instead combining to form something even better. It tastes good both straight and with a little bit of sweetener added, though I prefer the sweetened version. Even better, despite the boiling steep temperature, the green tea didn’t become astringent.

So, this was a tea I expected to be weird and jangly and disorganized, only to have it defy my expectations and become a smooth, delicious cup. So what fictional character did this tea remind me of? You’ll have to take a look here to find out: http://christinavasilevski.com/2014/05/sunday-tea-books-vanilla-mint/

Flavors: Vanilla

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Sami Kelsh

This does rather sound quite magical. Yummy!

Comments

Sami Kelsh

This does rather sound quite magical. Yummy!

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: unflavoured black teas, pu’er teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system, though I don’t score teas as often as I used to:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada