Yunnan Gold Tips (Limited Edition, Chinese New Year 2014)

Baked Bread, Sweet Potatoes, Wood, Creamy, Honey, Sweet, Earth, Floral, Forest Floor, Yams, Hops, Yeasty, Citrus, Cocoa, Fruity, Grain, Stonefruits, Autumn Leaf Pile, Malt, Cannabis, Flowers, Leather, Molasses, Tobacco
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Lion

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “As per JC recommendation I brew 2 heaping tsp in 200 ml glass pot short steeps 5/5/10/15/20 sec none of the steeps are weak. Very chocolaty and malty. Wet leaves smell of honey and tobacco. ...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 417 tasting notes
  • “I've been a cranky ragebot all week long for various reasons, but as one of those small silly things that can talk you off the ledge last night before bed I reminded myself I'd be able to try this...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes
  • “Last night I did my monthly tea count, re-organized my shelves a bit, etc. I'm starting the month at 362 Teas, which is down from 389 last month, so progress, not perfection, right? My first...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3069 tasting notes
  • “Oh. Mah. Gawd. Sulu. This is good tea. Smells fantastic, looks nifty. Cute package. Heavily baked bread flavor, sweet, malt, smooth...golden. It was probably a mistake to have an entire pot...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 563 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

Limited Edition of 150

Happy New Year!

We’re galloping into the New Year on a 150 horse-powered infusion of Yunnan Gold Tips. Care to join us? Like a chestnut mare with a brilliant golden mane, this special tea has the might to carry you through good times and bad, and a gentle, unassuming beauty that will stir noble feelings in your breast. We wish the year of the snake a fond farewell, perhaps even a tip of the hat as it slithers away into the bushes. Now it’s time to face the road ahead. Welcome to the year of the horse — saddle up this damn fine steed and ride out to meet it!

We’ve teamed up again with our pals at Aesthetic Apparatus and made 150 tins of one of our favorites, Yunnan Jin Hao Gold Tips tea. This full-bodied black tea from China will remind you of a classic Yunnan — it’s good and strong — but the gold tips add a soft, velvety smoothness. Brew it in boiling hot water for at least five minutes and you’re off to the races. Cross the finish line and re-steep the leaves for another ride.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

As per JC recommendation I brew 2 heaping tsp in 200 ml glass pot short steeps 5/5/10/15/20 sec none of the steeps are weak. Very chocolaty and malty. Wet leaves smell of honey and tobacco. There is some rye bread sourness and slight spice comes at the very end. I can’t decide which method I prefer. Both produce very different results.

0 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 7 OZ / 200 ML
Tabby

Hah, the art for this tea is cute!

Terri HarpLady

That it is! But I thought the name of the tea was Chinese New Year :)

boychik

i think it would be a splendid name for this tea:=)

Terri HarpLady

That’s actually the name on the label. When I drank it, I was looking under that as the name, but someone had entered it under Yunnan Golden Tips already.

boychik

You are absolutely right Terri. I haven’t even noticed it because its white letters on yellow

I’ve been a cranky ragebot all week long for various reasons, but as one of those small silly things that can talk you off the ledge last night before bed I reminded myself I’d be able to try this today (and thanks boychik, your review today made me even more excited!). I was a tad worried I’d find it too mild and straightforwardly sweet potato like I was just talking about with Golden Monkey, but this is great, a lovely balance of that sweet smoothness tips give with more robust but still smooth malty dark flavor I crave. The cup color tells it; it isn’t that warm orange-gold-brown hue of the sweet potato teas but instead a deeper more burgundy-tinged affair, as I like. And as it cools there’s a lingering aftertaste of dark chocolate, yum—I imagine it comes from the very faintest hint of bitterness I crave giving it a depth of flavor, but the smooth sweetness the tips provide rounding it out. Was prepared to send a lot of this off to my IRL tea buddy or Steepsters who might lean towards the general Yunnan style if I didn’t love this but I do. So there’s a win for the day, woo small triumphs!

ETA this is a resteep champ, yes even Western style. Had a second cup, 5 minutes just like the first, just as good maybe in some ways even better (lighter yes, but sweeter too, and still with enough heft to make it deliciously satisfying). Woo hoo!

Cavocorax

That sounds awesome! I was totally trying NOT to buy this too, but your review is very persuasive!

Anna

Hehehe. ‘Ragebot’. The Ragebots. <3

boychik

Yay glad you did review it and like it. I get irritated easy myself lately . I blame winter for my mood swings. Good tea is the best remedy.

Dexter

This just went on my shopping list too.

caile

Sounds great !

scribbles

Ok, I was trying to not buy this tea…thinking…it’s just tea…I guess I’ll be putting in my order as soon as I get back from walking the beast.

cavo…i haven’t ordered yet lol

ifjuly

haha, The Ragebots! i would spend a friday night going to see them play. (:

yes boychik, the weather for sure plays a part. and yes again to tea as the best remedy! well, and friends. (:

Last night I did my monthly tea count, re-organized my shelves a bit, etc.
I’m starting the month at 362 Teas, which is down from 389 last month, so progress, not perfection, right?

My first cup of the month, although my sense of taste & smell is coming back, it’s still not where I want it to be, and I’ve been avoiding all of my favorite teas (all 277 of them, LOL), because…well because! Although there is a lot to be said for mouth-feel, tea buzz, etc, I hate to miss those subtle flavors. I just remembered that Sheng sometimes seems to help with allergies, so maybe I should quit messing around & bust out a brick!

All I’m getting from this tea today is a nice milky mouth, some baked bread, maybe a little chocolate (Which I’m probably imagining, not actually tasting), & cannibis. Yeah, you heard me. It’s been over 30 years since I toked up, but you never forget that taste.

yay for getting through some of your teas last month! :) i have a SMALL totally unflavoured box here that you’ll get eventually..but i’m trying to give you time to drink more heh

Terri HarpLady

I have a box of awesomeness that I’m still working on for you. It was suppose to be your birthday box, & includes the teas we ordered from YS, but it’s gonna be a late birthday…

it’s ok… it wil give me something to look forward to in september when i’m nowhere and everywhere all at once.

oh..and Nicole wanted to come to st louis if she can arrange it when i’m there so that all three of us can meet…once i get final date confirmation i will let you both know

mrmopar

Weed, what weed….

Oh. Mah. Gawd. Sulu. This is good tea.

Smells fantastic, looks nifty. Cute package.

Heavily baked bread flavor, sweet, malt, smooth…golden. It was probably a mistake to have an entire pot this late in the evening but I just couldn’t stop. No time for a resteep tonight, but will definitely try tomorrow. Though my pots are kind of like resteeps… I steep 16 ounces then another 12 ounces or so with the same leaves and combine them in the same pot.

It’s not a desert island tea, but it’s Damn Fine.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
boychik

Yay I’m happy you like it too;)

Terri HarpLady

I love saying damn fine tea :)

Really smooth. Brewed this one a little lite, only 3 mins for some reaason (Mike’s fault). I like this one a lot though. It’s not crazy in your face with the flavor but still easily stands on its own. I could see this being drinkable on a frequent basis.

Flavors: Honey

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 34 OZ / 1000 ML
__Morgana__

Can’t wait until mine shows up!

Terri HarpLady

Mine just came, complete with a horse head finger puppet! Yay!

Mike

I blame @rickyc for the brew time. I thought it tasted light and he assured me it was a characteristic. He’s known around the office for his terrible, terrible lies.

Lion

I still have about half a can of this. This one has made my year pretty tasty! I’m eager to see if they introduce another Chinese New Year themed tea for Year of the Sheep.

Honey-sweet, bread-like, with a bit of malt in the back. This is one fine tea!

I used 1 heaping teaspoon in an 8 oz cup with 200 degree water and steeped for just 1 minute and it was delicious. Resteeps for 2m, 2.5m and 3m were almost as delicious but the flavor declined a bit with each steep. The next time I’ll try boiling with a longer steep just to compare.

I’ll keep this tea around for sure and plan to enjoy it frequently.

Thank you Kimquat for the sale a while back! I think it’s a good idea to try for one sipdown and try one new tea in a day for a while. I thought this one would pair well with the Sherlock story I’m reading at the moment (due to the horse in the photo for the tea package – the story is ‘Silver Blaze’ about a missing race horse). The leaves look like a golden monkey though – dark, twisty, hints of gold. The color of the cup is a golden red. The fragrance is already promising before I take a sip. Maltly, molasses, honey, dried hay for those horses — very smooth and very sweet. The second and third steeps never lose flavor (even with the third steep on the next morning)… I think I steeped them perfectly that way. I never thought this one had any sort of chocolate flavor or even sweet potato like other Yunnans might, but it was still a dark enough tea that it was more than just a gold honey Yunnan. I love this one because it’s a Yunnan between the lightest golds and the most chocolate of Yunnans. It’s a shame it’s not available anymore! One serving left for me. :/
Steep #1 // 1 1/3 tsps. // 10 min after boiling // 2 min steep
Steep #2 // few min after boiling // 3 min
Steep #3 // just boiled // 4 min

Sipdown (97)!

My morning tea, which I just enjoyed the last sip of. This time around I added some milk, so I cold drink it right away on the walk to work without burning my mouth. ‘Cause that’s just no fun. It’s really good with milk.

Today I’m tasting cocoa notes, malt, and sweet potato especially, with some fainter almost fruity notes – not stonefruit but maybe something loosely citrus-y? There’s also a slight tang or acidity to this, but not like sour fruit or turned milk or anything. It took a long time to place, but eventually I landed on Sourdough as a fairly apt description of the flavour. That would fit with the faint yeasty flavour I’m also tasting.

Very tastey overall! Now I’m super curious to try more A&D teas – if nothing else, the packaging is SUPER cute.

i have a bunch you can steal…or get variatea to do it next time she sees me heh

Anlina

I really need to try some of their teas someday. Everyone seems to love them.

if you like straight blacks i find that they’re really good solid every day sort of teas. That aren’t knock your socks off omg…but for the price, they’re good solid teas. i don’t have the bandwidth at the moment, but if you poke me in the new year, i can send some your way to try anlina

Anlina

Thanks so much Sil. I’m in no rush at all. I have more tea than I know what to do with at the moment. :)

donkeytiara

I agree with Sil, they are good every day teas. I keep my Yunnan and Assam at work, as well as one tin of the spring keemun (I have one of those tins for home as well) because they aren’t contemplative teas, they’re just good solid citizens. I only buy when they have free shipping…otherwise they’re too pricey for me….

Hosting Nursing interviews today, so I’ve got this one in my Timolino. It’s gorgeous as ever — the perfect tea for an early start!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Sooo I need to try this again because I’m pretty sure I didn’t wash my mug out enough to really write an honest review of this tea. xD
This tea tasted like bread and sweet potatoes. Which was great. But…
There was still some woodiness in the cup…that really didn’t belong. So I’ll have to try this again. xD Thanks to Boychik for giving me enough for more than one cup! Thanks again for this sample! Will try it again before rating!

On a side note: I’m super excited-They finally put the original The Producers movie on Netflix again! I love Gene Wilder in this one-he’s hilarious! If you like comedies you should definitely give it a try! It’s fantastic! :P

Flavors: Baked Bread, Sweet Potatoes, Wood