Yunnan Gold Tips (Limited Edition, Chinese New Year 2014)

Baked Bread, Earth, Floral, Forest Floor, Honey, Yams, Hops, Yeasty, Citrus, Cocoa, Fruity, Grain, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Autumn Leaf Pile, Malt, Cannabis, Flowers, Leather, Molasses, Tobacco, Wood
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Lion

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “As per JC recommendation I brew 2 heaping tsp in 200 ml glass pot short steeps 5/5/10/15/20 sec none of the steeps are weak. Very chocolaty and malty. Wet leaves smell of honey and tobacco. ...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 386 tasting notes
  • “I've been a cranky ragebot all week long for various reasons, but as one of those small silly things that can talk you off the ledge last night before bed I reminded myself I'd be able to try this...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes
  • “Last night I did my monthly tea count, re-organized my shelves a bit, etc. I'm starting the month at 362 Teas, which is down from 389 last month, so progress, not perfection, right? My first...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3008 tasting notes
  • “Oh. Mah. Gawd. Sulu. This is good tea. Smells fantastic, looks nifty. Cute package. Heavily baked bread flavor, sweet, malt, smooth...golden. It was probably a mistake to have an entire pot...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 532 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

Limited Edition of 150

Happy New Year!

We’re galloping into the New Year on a 150 horse-powered infusion of Yunnan Gold Tips. Care to join us? Like a chestnut mare with a brilliant golden mane, this special tea has the might to carry you through good times and bad, and a gentle, unassuming beauty that will stir noble feelings in your breast. We wish the year of the snake a fond farewell, perhaps even a tip of the hat as it slithers away into the bushes. Now it’s time to face the road ahead. Welcome to the year of the horse — saddle up this damn fine steed and ride out to meet it!

We’ve teamed up again with our pals at Aesthetic Apparatus and made 150 tins of one of our favorites, Yunnan Jin Hao Gold Tips tea. This full-bodied black tea from China will remind you of a classic Yunnan — it’s good and strong — but the gold tips add a soft, velvety smoothness. Brew it in boiling hot water for at least five minutes and you’re off to the races. Cross the finish line and re-steep the leaves for another ride.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

As per JC recommendation I brew 2 heaping tsp in 200 ml glass pot short steeps 5/5/10/15/20 sec none of the steeps are weak. Very chocolaty and malty. Wet leaves smell of honey and tobacco. There is some rye bread sourness and slight spice comes at the very end. I can’t decide which method I prefer. Both produce very different results.

0 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 7 OZ / 200 ML
Tabby

Hah, the art for this tea is cute!

Terri HarpLady

That it is! But I thought the name of the tea was Chinese New Year :)

boychik

i think it would be a splendid name for this tea:=)

Terri HarpLady

That’s actually the name on the label. When I drank it, I was looking under that as the name, but someone had entered it under Yunnan Golden Tips already.

boychik

You are absolutely right Terri. I haven’t even noticed it because its white letters on yellow

I’ve been a cranky ragebot all week long for various reasons, but as one of those small silly things that can talk you off the ledge last night before bed I reminded myself I’d be able to try this today (and thanks boychik, your review today made me even more excited!). I was a tad worried I’d find it too mild and straightforwardly sweet potato like I was just talking about with Golden Monkey, but this is great, a lovely balance of that sweet smoothness tips give with more robust but still smooth malty dark flavor I crave. The cup color tells it; it isn’t that warm orange-gold-brown hue of the sweet potato teas but instead a deeper more burgundy-tinged affair, as I like. And as it cools there’s a lingering aftertaste of dark chocolate, yum—I imagine it comes from the very faintest hint of bitterness I crave giving it a depth of flavor, but the smooth sweetness the tips provide rounding it out. Was prepared to send a lot of this off to my IRL tea buddy or Steepsters who might lean towards the general Yunnan style if I didn’t love this but I do. So there’s a win for the day, woo small triumphs!

ETA this is a resteep champ, yes even Western style. Had a second cup, 5 minutes just like the first, just as good maybe in some ways even better (lighter yes, but sweeter too, and still with enough heft to make it deliciously satisfying). Woo hoo!

Cavocorax

That sounds awesome! I was totally trying NOT to buy this too, but your review is very persuasive!

Anna

Hehehe. ‘Ragebot’. The Ragebots. <3

boychik

Yay glad you did review it and like it. I get irritated easy myself lately . I blame winter for my mood swings. Good tea is the best remedy.

Dexter

This just went on my shopping list too.

caile

Sounds great !

scribbles

Ok, I was trying to not buy this tea…thinking…it’s just tea…I guess I’ll be putting in my order as soon as I get back from walking the beast.

cavo…i haven’t ordered yet lol

ifjuly

haha, The Ragebots! i would spend a friday night going to see them play. (:

yes boychik, the weather for sure plays a part. and yes again to tea as the best remedy! well, and friends. (:

Last night I did my monthly tea count, re-organized my shelves a bit, etc.
I’m starting the month at 362 Teas, which is down from 389 last month, so progress, not perfection, right?

My first cup of the month, although my sense of taste & smell is coming back, it’s still not where I want it to be, and I’ve been avoiding all of my favorite teas (all 277 of them, LOL), because…well because! Although there is a lot to be said for mouth-feel, tea buzz, etc, I hate to miss those subtle flavors. I just remembered that Sheng sometimes seems to help with allergies, so maybe I should quit messing around & bust out a brick!

All I’m getting from this tea today is a nice milky mouth, some baked bread, maybe a little chocolate (Which I’m probably imagining, not actually tasting), & cannibis. Yeah, you heard me. It’s been over 30 years since I toked up, but you never forget that taste.

yay for getting through some of your teas last month! :) i have a SMALL totally unflavoured box here that you’ll get eventually..but i’m trying to give you time to drink more heh

Terri HarpLady

I have a box of awesomeness that I’m still working on for you. It was suppose to be your birthday box, & includes the teas we ordered from YS, but it’s gonna be a late birthday…

it’s ok… it wil give me something to look forward to in september when i’m nowhere and everywhere all at once.

oh..and Nicole wanted to come to st louis if she can arrange it when i’m there so that all three of us can meet…once i get final date confirmation i will let you both know

mrmopar

Weed, what weed….

Oh. Mah. Gawd. Sulu. This is good tea.

Smells fantastic, looks nifty. Cute package.

Heavily baked bread flavor, sweet, malt, smooth…golden. It was probably a mistake to have an entire pot this late in the evening but I just couldn’t stop. No time for a resteep tonight, but will definitely try tomorrow. Though my pots are kind of like resteeps… I steep 16 ounces then another 12 ounces or so with the same leaves and combine them in the same pot.

It’s not a desert island tea, but it’s Damn Fine.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
boychik

Yay I’m happy you like it too;)

Terri HarpLady

I love saying damn fine tea :)

Really smooth. Brewed this one a little lite, only 3 mins for some reaason (Mike’s fault). I like this one a lot though. It’s not crazy in your face with the flavor but still easily stands on its own. I could see this being drinkable on a frequent basis.

Flavors: Honey

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 34 OZ / 1000 ML
__Morgana__

Can’t wait until mine shows up!

Terri HarpLady

Mine just came, complete with a horse head finger puppet! Yay!

Mike

I blame @rickyc for the brew time. I thought it tasted light and he assured me it was a characteristic. He’s known around the office for his terrible, terrible lies.

Honey-sweet, bread-like, with a bit of malt in the back. This is one fine tea!

I used 1 heaping teaspoon in an 8 oz cup with 200 degree water and steeped for just 1 minute and it was delicious. Resteeps for 2m, 2.5m and 3m were almost as delicious but the flavor declined a bit with each steep. The next time I’ll try boiling with a longer steep just to compare.

I’ll keep this tea around for sure and plan to enjoy it frequently.

Backlog:

I bought this on Canada Day because they were offering free shipping for Canada and even though I’m not in Canada, I got nervous because it was down to only a very precious few tins left of the tea and I worried that if I waited until the 4th of July when they offer free shipping to us here in the US that I’d miss out on this. As it turned out, they didn’t sell out of this one until after the 4th, so I would have been safe but I didn’t want to miss it!

Anyway … it’s a lovely Yunnan!

Molasses-y and caramel-y. So beautifully sweet! A hearty, robust tea. Warm, earthy, notes of leather. A truly wonderful tea, I’m glad I go this one.

I could swear I have reviewed this before… I’ve had this tea quite a while now, and though I had some technical difficulties when I was first learning to brew it, I feel I’ve definitely figured out my preferred method to get the most of the tea without making an overpowered cup. I have gone through quite a few shifts in the method I use to brew red/black teas in the gongfu style before I found one that really worked great for me.

Anyway, this is one of the best red teas I’ve had. There’s an interesting light floral quality to the scent resting atop some darker notes of earth, baked bread, cocoa, forest floor, and yam. The darker, mustier qualities are well balanced by a lightness that comes through in the flavor as yam and honey. The tea is tangy with a hint of bitterness on the back-end like dark chocolate or coffee, but to be fair I brew this a bit on the full-bodied side, while I’ve noticed most practitioners of Gongfu Cha I’ve met will brew red teas more on the light side, making a honey-colored liquor rather than a red one. That tends to yield more of the subtle notes present in a red tea. I prefer a bit more strength since repeated infusions will eventually yield a lighter liquor anyway. Not that this tastes exactly the same as if you had brewed it light to begin with, but it’s similar.

On a final note, I absolutely love the tin design and its designation as a “Year of the Horse” tea. I know A&D have done some teas like this before and I really am eager to see what comes out next year for the Year of the Goat. My only complaint is that the tin is basically a small paint can, so you will need something handy to pry the lid off if you purchase a tea tin from these guys. I keep a quarter resting atop the lid as it works well to do the trick and doesn’t take up any extra space while the tin is in the cupboard.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Earth, Floral, Forest Floor, Honey, Yams

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I wish I had bought a second tin!

Okay, so I’m at work (10pm to 7am) and I forgot my infusers… No bags also…

So, just floated this bad boy and spooned it out. I really don’t mind doing it this way often (I feel it gives the leaves a chance to really unfurl and fully infuse) and they usually settle to the bottom anyway.

Boiling water in my hot pot in the break room.
About 1 to 1.5 tsp on a 8 oz cup.

Sit for 3 min. First sip was WOWZA! Honey notes, malty, bread, yeasty note. (I work in an ER, saying yeasty didn’t seem quite fitting, but co-workers got a good laugh.) I was apprehensive about liking yunnan. This is my first. Let’s just say I’m hooked!

After about 10 minutes now, there’s a nice bold earthy flavor, still some honey. Not as much honey undertones as golden monkey has.

Now its probably been 2 hours, and its still great cold. Its a bit bitter, but not so much that its not like a good cup of black coffee.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Earth, Honey, Hops, Yeasty

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Queued post, written June 18th 2014

A random grab in the box this time. Here’s one that Auggy sent me this year. Yunnan is the type where our tastes part company a little bit. She seems to appreciate them a little more than I do, but it’s still close enough I think. It depends on how hay-like they are.

This one doesn’t strike me as very hay-like. I think it’s the sweetness in them that sometimes comes across as a haystack to me. In this one it’s more just sort of sweet-sweet with a bit of hay on the side.

I don’t really know what else to say about it… I try to analyse it a bit, but the words aren’t coming. It won’t show me its secrets. Maybe there’s a little honey note in there? I think so. Perhaps with a bit of grain? Yes, maybe. Only when I try to think about it more, all that comes to mind is that it’s a very long time since I baked a honey bread…

I think what I’m trying to get at is that this tea reminds me of my honey bread recipe.

Difficult to decipher as it may be for me, it’s still a quite good tea, even with the hay-y notes. They could have been worse, a LOT worse. I don’t really like them stronger than this, but at this level it’s nice. It’s a bit like herbs and spices in food. Too much is awful, too little is meh and bland, but just right is lovely.