Constant Comment

Cardamon, Orange, Spicy, Cinnamon, Smooth, Bitter, Orange Zest, Spices, Clove, Cloves, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I was reading one of my classmate's essays for senior seminar and it was about her family--her mom, specifically. It was so well written that it made me homesick for my mom. Two of the things that...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 526 tasting notes
  • “So, I'm sick and staying with family/friends in Colorado. I was craving some comfort tea from the moment I woke up. Something with lavender. So my cold-medicine-addled self put on boots and...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 477 tasting notes
  • “Had this for afternoon tea. I think I overbrewed it a bit, but it was still drinkable. That's what is great about this tea- it takes abuse and still tastes pretty much the same way you remember....” Read full tasting note
    lovingmy4babies 71 tasting notes
  • “Wednesday Jan. 12, 2011 1st Steep of the Day. After 2 Hours of Shoveling Snow. Came in to a Steamy Hot Cup Of Biggie's Constant Comment. Could not have been a Better Choice this Morning. Big...” Read full tasting note
    truckie442 364 tasting notes

From Bigelow

Created by Ruth Bigelow in her kitchen over 60 years ago “Constant Comment” is today America’s most popular specialty tea. This original blend of the finest mountain-grown tea is deliciously flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice. There’s no other tea in the world quite like it.

About Bigelow View company

1994 tasting notes

I’m traveling this week, so I haven’t had access to all my teas (hence the lack of tasting notes). This is one of the only teas my mom had in her cupboard, so I had a bag this morning with breakfast. I’m sure I’ve had Constant Comment before, but it’s been quite a while I didn’t really remember it. It reminds me of a holiday tea, with it’s orange rinds and spices.

I like the aroma a lot, clove and cinnamon and a bit of orange, but I feel like the taste falls a little flat. I didn’t get any bitterness, but I didn’t get a lot of distinctive flavor either; it was all in the aroma. A decent tea, but probably not one I’ll go out of my way to stock!

KeenTeaThyme

I wish this was available as a loose tea. It was my go-to tea growing up, but I do wish it was stronger.

Bigelow Tea

Dinosara, we’re sorry to hear our Constant Comment wasn’t your cup of tea….if you’d ever like to try another flavor to sample, please give us a call to request and we’d be happy to send a sample or two….we do appreciate your comments. @KennTeaThyme, we do offer the Constant Comment as loose tea, you can buy from us directly at :

Kathy for Bigelow Tea

Started the day here, tradition, history, culture, and a near perfect mix of spices.
I have loved this tea for years…

So glad to hear this!!

Valorie for Bigelow Tea

KeenTeaThyme

Constant Comment was a staple in my house growing up – and now in mine! :)

teawing

It was in mine too, but like certain recipes and foods, it only appeared during the holidays and winter months. Needless to say, it is always around now, sometimes even iced!

Like other posters I have an emotional attachment to this tea, and it is hard to separate the memories from the experience of the tea itself. The ingredients are black tea, orange rind and “sweet spice” which to me is heavy on the clove and cinnamon. This combination is iconic in my olfactory memory. In college I had an apartment mate who was a tea drinker and she introduced me to this tea. So the smell reminds me of my youth and my first taste of independence, and it’s hard to avoid pleasant associations with that time of my life.

The taste, too, brings pleasant associations. If I try to be objective and drill down into the flavors, the tea itself is unremarkable either way, the orange is a little sour and doesn’t sweeten up as it lingers, and the spices are what one would expect from clove and cinnamon. It’s not fabulous, but it doesn’t approach horrible in my view, and the thumb on the scale is the Proustian value of transporting oneself on a rainy day present, to another rainy day when life was opening up like an oyster and anything was possible.

Steep time 3:30 max add sugar and milk- yummy! Like to use this in place of my plain morning black to shake things up a bit in the am. I’m such a rebel :)

A review of Constant Comment Tea by Bigelow Tea

Region:
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: Cup / Tea bag
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: Dark golden brown
Leaf Characteristics: tea bag smells of tea, I cannot note any spices.

1. Steepings 2 good steeps

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 175 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

Note: When brewing/steeping this tea, nothing stands out about it. It smells mildly of tea I am thinking. Anyhow, I remove the tea bag after two minutes and let it stand a bit longer. When I do take the tea and have a sip of it, at first I am met with malt flavoring that some teas contain, and upon swallowing there is a hint of the orange note hitting my palate.

I guess I was expecting the orange to be more pronounce than is at this time.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 5 minutes

Note: I thought to increase the water’s temperature and to let the tea bag steep in tea water a bit longer as I hope to bring out more of the flavoring. Tea’s color is the same: darkish brown/red tea. And the aroma is of orange rind and when I taste the tea there is the orange and some spices prevailing in the cup, just hints of spices and nothing more.

gmathis

Isn’t it funny? This was one of my first “gateway” teas, back when I was in high school. At the time, I thought it was so tasty! Now, it’s just … eh.

K S

This was the first tea I bought as a teen. I still like it. I am wondering if your tea was just old. It should have a fair amount of clove and orange flavor.

I had this a couple of hours ago. I was plesantly surprised by this tea. Without milk, the orange rind and spice flavor was a bit overpowering, but some milk tamed it and it tasted like a spiced orange chai (if there is such a thing). I would probably not buy this tea, but I would drink it at a restaurant or place of work if that was what was available.

Bigelow Tea

Thanks so much for your review…we’re pleased you were pleasantly surprised!!
Kathy for Bigelow Tea

Thank God for tea, because it’s one of the best things to drink for a sore throat.

Anyways, onto the tea…

This was actually one of the first teas I ever tried, so you could say this tea is the tea, aside from Earl Grey, that got me into tea. I don’t even remember where I was when I first tried it, but I know I loved it then and still love it now.

Orange teas are my favorite teas, and this tea has a wonderful, smooth taste of orange with a kick of spice—ginger, I think—and I really enjoy that mix. It’s a very warm tea, in the sense that it makes you feel warm, almost immediately, and more so from the flavor than from the actual temperature of the tea itself. It also takes sugar well, and keeps a very good balance of sweetness and flavor.

Now to finish it and hope my throat feels better…

K S

The very first tea I ever bought back in the time of troglodytes. Still enjoy it.

Hello friends! I thought i would start out with a simple tea today.
Well, Bigelow is a rather cheap tea. But It can be good in a pinch. Constant Contentment is more of a nostalgia tea. I taste the orange rind and the black tea, but almost no spice. Maybe that’s the clearing sensation I feel in my nose? Aw well, I still enjoyed it. 7/10

Bigelow Tea

Very pleasd to hear you enjoyed a cup of Constant Comment
Kathy

Peppermint

Well thankyou. Bigelow has always been my favorite childhood tea.

A fairly good orange black tea with a hint of spice.

It’s nice spiced tea, one of the few bagged teas I still drink. I especially enjoy the aroma. The orange and spices make a good combination. Drinking it as it is isn’t for me (I don’t like drinking any teas with spices straight), so I add sugar and milk. Good for a winter’s day or frigid night.

Stephanie

This was a childhood fave

Bigelow Tea

KiwiDelight…. so happy to hear you enjoy a nice cup of Constant Comment, just the way you like it.
Kathy