White Night

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by E Alexander Gerster

• “What a fascinating tea! Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I placed my first order with Mandala Tea, and all arrived quickly, nicely packaged and with extra sample tea as well. I had heard good things...” Read full tasting note
    ealexandergerster 96 tasting notes
  • “I had been looking forward to trying a White Night/Moonlight for a while, since it sounded very interesting and has the characteristics of some of my favorite teas. It didn't disappoint! Dry...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 97 tasting notes
  • “Well I can't very well improve on the terrific description by tperez and can only add that for someone who has apparently only had low quality (tasteless) white teas, this was a revelation. Mild...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 137 tasting notes
  • “This was included as a sample from Mandala. I was skeptical at first--most white teas I've had are so subtle that it's like sipping warm water. But just one glance showed this to be something...” Read full tasting note
    justnord 9 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

This is a large leaf varietal picked in early spring. Covered with white downy hairs, the bud and leaf is slightly wilted and gently dried with warm air. This amazing white tea differs from other whites because the processing brings about an aging quality so that over a few years it will turn into a black tea.

A light, sweet, full bodied flavor. Smooth and easily palatable.

White Night can be steeped 7-8 times!

About Mandala Tea View company

What a fascinating tea!

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I placed my first order with Mandala Tea, and all arrived quickly, nicely packaged and with extra sample tea as well. I had heard good things about Mandala, and Garret (the owner) and myself had exchanged a few emails through discussions here on Steepster. I am just amazed at the friendly, courteous and interesting people that make up the tea community in MN, and am glad that they have sellers like Mandala and Verdant Tea to introduce them to fine Chinese tea!

The White Night tea is like nothing I have ever tried before. It has the familiar earthiness that you find in Yunnan green and pu’erh teas, but is so light and sweet with an ethereal aroma. In German they say “Himmel und Erde,” or “Heaven and Earth,” which is truly what this tea brings to mind. And each time I thought my gaiwan of leaves could yield no more, another steep proved me wrong. The first 5 steepings were amazing, the next three still were very good, before I decided to retire the leaves to the compost bin.

Thank you for showing me how a white tea can have as much complexity and full bodied flavor, and need not be simply subtle and light.

Geoffrey

If you’re ever passing through MN / Twin Cities in the future, send me a PM. I’d be happy to invite you over for some gongfu cha. I think you’d be great company to drink with. The number of people working to develop a really nice tea culture here is growing. Cheers!

E Alexander Gerster

I have to give a special thank you to you Geoffrey, since it was your great posts that intrigued me and made me want to go outside my comfort zone… I would love to visit MN sometime. It is one of those places that I have never had the opportunity to visit, and I would love to see how the tea culture is growing!

Geoffrey

Thanks! I’m glad to know that the stuff I write about my tea experiences is appreciated and opened up something for you. MN can be a wonderful place to visit for a variety of reasons, so I would say, by all means, consider doing so sometime.

I had been looking forward to trying a White Night/Moonlight for a while, since it sounded very interesting and has the characteristics of some of my favorite teas. It didn’t disappoint!

Dry leaves: Cream colored tips and chocolaty brown leaves. The dry aroma is similar to dian hong, but slightly more muted with a mildly lavender scent and a slight sheng pu’erh mustiness.

Early steeps: Mild and sweet with flavors of lavender, yam, and white grape with slight marine qualities. The taste reminds me of a very soft golden needle, but has a mouthfeel more like a sheng pu.

Later steeps: A sweet greenness appears that reminds me of guapan or Taiwanese oolongs. Slight mushroom flavor, and VERY creamy.

This tea had a WHOLE LOT of qi for me. Very warm, sleepy, and medatative, and strong feelings along my eyebrows, forehead, and spine. I haven’t been this tea-drunk in quite a while :P

Well I can’t very well improve on the terrific description by tperez and can only add that for someone who has apparently only had low quality (tasteless) white teas, this was a revelation. Mild and light, yes, but with the complexity and presence that drew me to better oolongs as my gateway drug to good teas. As this was a sample thrown into my green/oolong order by Garret, I guess he knew just how to get me to branch out. He’s a great tea guide, that one.

This was included as a sample from Mandala. I was skeptical at first—most white teas I’ve had are so subtle that it’s like sipping warm water. But just one glance showed this to be something different. It had large fluffy white leaves alongside dark brown/black leaves, as if it was a blend of white and black tea. In fact, it’s all white tea, but some leaves have been oxidized and this presents an interesting contrast.

I wish I had read the steeping directions more carefully and noticed that others have gotten so many steepings from their White Night. I steeped my sample for 3 minutes, which is far too long for a first steeping. I’m looking forward to trying some more of this but will be more careful how I use it.

Garret

Hi! Thanks for writing up all your thoughts on the various teas you have of ours. Sorry that they seem to not be living up to your expectations/taste. In regard to the white night tea, many will start with a first steeping of 5 to 8 minutes, so no worries as far as what is too long for a first steep, depending, I suppose on amount of leaf used. Enjoy!

Drank this multiple times over the weekend while framing and hammering up new wall art, making soup, and continuing my old lady pose (but I think spring is shaking me awake a little…I woke up this morning with “Dancing in the Dark” in my head, due to the sentiment behind it I imagine). I still think Shang’s Silver Needle King is far and away the greatest white tea I’ve ever smelled or tasted (aiee!), but this offers that thing good whites often do, an indelibly luscious mouthfeel. It has a lot of layers going on too. Hopefully I can sit down and write a proper note about them next time, ack. Been drinking my tea all willy nilly in the midst of things (busy beaver spring cleaning and scheming and all that), without good logging. I fear I may never return to being an adequate, potentially helpful logger. :/ (beavers…logs…spring…my head’s full of fuzz!) This is becoming more and more just another diary. Whoops.

Garret

Thinking about this tea makes my mouth water. Did you get the honey aroma and flavor. I have been brewing this during the white tea part of my tea classes for sometime and everyone always swear they get honey. I know I do. This is one tea that works incredible well steeping a good long time. I do a first steep of 5 to 8 and then just keep adding hot water as I pour out a cup from the pot.

Enjoying your diary, I am!

ifjuly

definitely lots of honey, yes! that was beautiful. i think that element works really well with the amazing body, yum. i’ve been on a big honey kick the last month or so—my shampoo even smells of honeycomb, ha.

i steeped it 5 the first time, then resteeped a couple times adding a minute each time. definiely could’ve kept going but it was time to go out. (:

BTW, thanks for all you do. the note in my package was very sweet, it startled me how nice it was. you’re tops. (:

Garret

It is my privilege to count you among our customers/friends. Thank YOU!

Just stay away from the Honeycomb cereal :)

i’ll have to add this to my next order to try out

Complex, unique, mysterious! This white tea is quite different than other whites – this one went through some processing encouraging it to age, so apparently after a few years, this white will be a black tea! Nifty! The leaves are big, open and fuzzy with a salt and pepper colouring, as some leaves are silver, others black.

Taste? Really neat and full bodied – white tea taste of sparking grape and juicy, a bit of black tea maltyness, with raw pu’er flavors of ultra creamy sticky and bit of musty (a tasty musty). This isn’t your light, crisp floral white tea – it’s mystery in a cup. Especially in the later steepings as it gets wispy and still creamy.

Also Tea Drunk in a cup. White tea tea drunk? I’m totally tea drunk WAHHHHh.

Full review with lots of pictures on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/white-night-mandala-tea-oolong-owl-tea-review/

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML