Jin Ping Gong Fu - AKA: ZhengHe GongFu*

Dark Chocolate, Roasted Barley, Chocolate, Malt
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman
Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 4 g 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Well. I am am going to give this review thingy a try. Steepster hasn't been working in such a long time. I can't even remember the last time I reviewed a tea on here. Becuase I am part of...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 773 tasting notes
  • “I'm not sure I possess the adjectival vocabulary needed to pinpoint the differences between Jin Ping Gong Fu and Tao's Tan Yang Gong Fu black teas: both are wonderful, *scribbles!* There's a few...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1740 tasting notes
  • “Can I just take a moment to say how impressed I've been by Tao Tea Leaf? For a company that I'd never heard of before the day I placed an order with them I'm completely surprised by how incredible...” Read full tasting note
    cookies 100 tasting notes
  • “This morning, courtesy of *Scribbles*, I’m very pleased and extremely fortunate to review Jin Ping Gong Fu Black from Tao Tea Leaf, Western style: 6 oz. / 1.5 tsp. (4 g) / 212*F / 2 min. without...” Read full tasting note
    looseTman 116 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

Per yyz:
- “I’m pretty sure the tea is this one. Jin Ping is the village it is grown in, and this is a tea they have carried for some time. I have a sample from Dexter and I got a whole bunch in the sale so I should be able to compare them. ”http://www.taotealeaf.com/zhenghe-gongfu-black-tea-jin-ping-village/" rel=“nofollow” target="_blank">http://www.taotealeaf.com/zhenghe-gongfu-black-tea-jin-ping-village/"

- “The Zhenghe Gongfu comes labeled as Jin Ping so I think it is fair to assume they are the same tea. I just had my parcel hand delivered by the owner to my door.”

Per Martin of Montreal, Canada:
A World of Tea:
The Ottawa 2nd Annual Tea Festival
December 3, 2012

“Jin Ping Gong Fu (an incredible black tea I had the opportunity to taste)”

“Jin Ping Gong Fu, an incredibly rich and layered black tea”

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

Well. I am am going to give this review thingy a try. Steepster hasn’t been working in such a long time. I can’t even remember the last time I reviewed a tea on here. Becuase I am part of generation impatient I am only going to give this one try.

This tea is from the lovely Scribbles. When I first opened the package, the smell of malty tobacco wafted over me. I love it. It kind of makes me laugh becuase it is titled a Gongfu tea but the instructions call for 1tsp steeped for 2-3 minutes. Ha ha. But that is ok, I don’t gongfu anyway.

The tea brewed up really light. My mug this morning is clear, so the colour looked extremely pale. I was a bit worried I either did not use enough tea or that I didn’t brew long enough. The taste of the tea is wonderful. It is a very nice gongfu tea. Malty, with some sweetness. A hint of honey flavour. There is a really nice light, sweet aftertaste. Even though the colour of the brew is light, there is a moderately bold flavour.

I am really liking this one.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Starfevre

it’s getting better but still not quite there yet.

I’m not sure I possess the adjectival vocabulary needed to pinpoint the differences between Jin Ping Gong Fu and Tao’s Tan Yang Gong Fu black teas: both are wonderful, scribbles! There’s a few days’ distance between my samplings of both, but the unsweet chocolate personality that made Tan Yang so tasty is stick-to-your-tongue sweet in this Jin Ping. Lip-licking sweet, but not artificial or cloying. I continue to be amazed at the spectrum of flavors that can be pulled out of simple black teas.

Terri HarpLady

Sounds yum!

gmathis

’Twas!

Can I just take a moment to say how impressed I’ve been by Tao Tea Leaf? For a company that I’d never heard of before the day I placed an order with them I’m completely surprised by how incredible their teas have been.
Earthy is how I would describe this tea. Rich and earthy. I’m kind of at a loss trying to describe what flavors I’m tasting. Sort of deep chocolate but brighter and a little nutty. Like roasted grain nutty. Quite sweet as well. Zero bitterness or astringency. I don’t know how to describe it, but I love it. Highly recommended.

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Roasted Barley

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Marzipan

I need to pop mine open and start drinking.

looseTman

You definitely have a treat waiting for you!

boychik

I love this tea. Didn’t know where to log: we have 2 entries for this tea. I find it is simar to LB by Verdant. Not the same, but still similar.

yyz

Its confusing because the package says jin ping, but the store listing is Zhenghe gongfu. The tea is a zhenge gongfu produced in Jin Ping village.

cookies

Yeah, that is odd. I’ll add my review to that page too.

looseTman

yyz & boychik, Agreed – awesome!

“Didn’t know where to log: we have 2 entries for this tea.”
That because Tao Tea Leaf has marketed this tea under at least 2 different names. Can Jason merge these two entries?

looseTman

Marzipan, Please count me in next time there’s a group order for a TTL sale – Thanks!

This morning, courtesy of Scribbles, I’m very pleased and extremely fortunate to review Jin Ping Gong Fu Black from Tao Tea Leaf, Western style: 6 oz. / 1.5 tsp. (4 g) / 212*F / 2 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream.

Intro: This tea is not currently found on the Tao Tea Leaf website.
A web search resulted in the following information:
Per Martin of Montreal, Canada:
A World of Tea:
The Ottawa 2nd Annual Tea Festival
December 3, 2012

“Jin Ping Gong Fu (an incredible black tea I had the opportunity to taste)”
“Jin Ping Gong Fu, an incredibly rich and layered black tea”

Leaf: Thin and thick twisted dark chocolate-brown leaves 2.6 cm long or less.
Fragrance: Fine pipe tobacco
Liquor: Brilliant clear copper
Aroma: Ding, ding, ding … we have a Winner!
As soon as I removed the lid from the Finum brewing basket, the aroma was so powerful that it came wafting up to meet my nose as I stood in front of the kitchen counter and I’m 6’ tall!
Flavor: Chocolate!

2-min: A creamy smooth full-bodied black tea with incredibly deep rich malty milk chocolate! There was no hint of bitterness or astringency.

Resteep
3-min: Malty chocolate that was not quite as deep but extremely well-balanced and very enjoyable.

2nd Resteep
4-min: Not yet …
6-min: Not yet … Since this was now twice as long as the first resteep and 3x the original steep, I suspected two cups was the limit for this tea. However, I kept on …
8-min: An excellent resteep – nearly identical to the previous cup.

Impression: A creamy smooth full-bodied black tea with incredibly deep rich malty milk chocolate that will also go the distance! This black tea is thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended … if it’s still available.

Many thanks to Scribbles for sharing a generous sample of this incredible chocolaty Jin Ping Gong Fu Black Tea.

Jin Ping “has left the building” ………

Method:
RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a tea mug with a brew basket http://steepster.com/teaware/royal-albert/45581-old-country-roses-afternoontea-mugs

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
MzPriss

Awesome note looseTman!

Thank you MzPriss!

TheTeaFairy

Mmmm…really sounds amazing!

yyz

I’m pretty sure the tea is this one. Jin Ping is the village it is grown in, and this is a tea they have carried for some time. I have a sample from Dexter and I got a whole bunch in the sale so I should be able to compare them. http://www.taotealeaf.com/zhenghe-gongfu-black-tea-jin-ping-village/

yyz

It is a really awesome tea. Great review!

looseTman

yyz I did see their ZhengHe GongFu Black Tea and wondered if it was the same or similar since it was the most similar one currently on their website. Please let us know what you find out. I agree, it’s awesome tea. Thanks!

looseTman

Excellent news – Thanks! Such service too! You must live near their store? How often do they have sales?

yyz

I actually live about a 35 minute drive from the store. They must have had a number of deliveries in the area. I had the pleasure of thanking Tao himself for it.

Last year they had a big sale on boxing day(Dec. 26 th) and slightly smaller sales around the Moon festival I think and the anniversary of the store opening.

looseTman

That was certainly very nice of Tao. I’ll be sure to check out their boxing day sale. When is their anniversary? Given their recent 50% sale, it’s too bad I didn’t taste that sample a few days earlier!!

First sip down of the day, first sip down of my FL trip.
This is one of the teas included in the BBBB box on the most recent round, & I brought most of those remaining teas with me to drink up before the next box shows up (no rush, however). Earthy, with elements of chocolate, wood, & floral.

Dexter

I love this – I still think this is my number one favorite black tea….

i shared this one BECAUSE of you dexter haha

Dexter

LOL I think I’ve put it into every swap package I’ve sent to people who drink black tea – share the love. :))

MzPriss

I’m gonna go check it out

Earthy so earthy. Not my alley but a pretty nice full bodied tea. Thanks Dexter for sharing