Cinnamon, Cloves
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

From Verdant Tea (Special)

Ingredients: Laoshan Black, Zhu Rong, Orange Peel, Cinnamon, Clove, Bergamot Oil

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

Yayyy! This came in the mail today and I had to immediately try it. Holiday Earl Grey! With Laoshan Black (and Zhu Rong) base! I always love Verdant’s Earl variants, and I’m glad they finally had one for the blends club. The dry leaf smells really good, like a super Christmas-y Earl. Lots of bergamot, lots of cinnamon and clove.

The steeped tea smells amazing too, this time helped by the awesome chocolate of Laoshan Black. Mmmmm. The bergamot is less prominent but the spices scream Christmas in a cup. Yup, this one is a winner in my book. The chocolatey Laoshan Black, the sweet festive spices, the bright citrusy bergamot and orange. As with Verdant’s Bergamot Rose Laoshan Black the bergamot is not strong here, and as with that one that doesn’t bother me here. I’m not looking for a straight Earl, but there is enough bergamot flirting through the flavor to remind me that I am drinking a nontraditional Earl.

I’d love to use the tea cash I earned on Black Friday to buy more of this one (nudgenudge)!

ifjuly

sounds lovely!

Stephanie

Sounds very nice :)

Bonnie

I thought it would be more ‘Earl’ also.

caile

It does sound nice!

Lily Duckler

Haha! Duly noted, Dinosara.. we’ll see if I can’t pass that along to David ;) We’ll probably never due a huge-ly bergamot-y Earl, so it was fun this month to play with something a little more traditional.

EG this is not. This is zhu wrong and LB….and maybe a couple spices thrown in. Again 1 min steeps is stupid. lol Pretty much feeling like i could just toss the two teas together and get mostly the same blend. Will try to play with this a bit more later. still like it..but feel more like this is like other teas than being an EG blend.

Lala

I have not tried this specific blend, but the other blends from verdant I have tried, I have always overleafed to get better flavour.

Bonnie

You do have to steep this longer…really.

Agreed Bonnie. Thy 1 min timings on all their blends is driving me nuts lol

CelebriTEA

Steep longer,but this is really. GOOD!!!

celebriTEA…your forget..me and the BLERGAMOT don’t get along :)

This tea makes a wonderful hot toddy! Brew about 1.5 tsp in 3/4 cup of a mug, add spiced rum, Grand Marnier, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon. Soooo good, and very warming after ice fishing in a – 17 C blizzard, wind chill – 25! Cozy by the fire at my parents cabin now, have been drinking tea but not much Internet to log them. But had to share this one!

It’s nice enough I suppose, but I still don’t like Laoshan Black. Enter: honey. Honey makes (almost) every tea palatable.

JustJames

oh i am having a day…… wish that statement were true of people. it would make me feel better to coat them with any manner of things….

OMGsrsly

LOL. I can see you going around dumping chocolate on people and “tarring” them with marshmallows or cookie crumbles.

OMGsrsly

That should be “tarring” them with chocolate, “feathering” with marshmallows or cookie crumbles.

MissB

Hm. Me likey this idea, Miss OMGsrsly and JustJames.

OMGsrsly

I’ll set it aside for you, MissB!

OMGsrsly

Oh geez. Reading comprehension fail. MissB likes the IDEA, not necessarily the tea. I’ll still set it aside if you’re interested!

i need to play with this tea more. for the most part it just seems to taste like LB + ZR

OMGsrsly

I know I’m in the minority, but LB = bleh. This mostly tastes like LB.

JustJames

if we used caramel sauce we could double the effect and offer waxing as well…. that would make me feel a tad more chipper. it’s not a good day. i’m feeling…. un-nice. caramel waxing might fit the bill.

OMGsrsly

That would definitely be some interesting salon.

JustJames

it would make me happy…. well today at least. i usually like xmas. i’m ready to put on my headphones. start sculpting and come up for air on the 28th at this point…..

OMGsrsly

Sounds like a good plan. :)

MissB

Oh, I meant the whole shebang. The idea, the tea, the all of the awesomeness coming out of these comments and tealog. ;)

OMGsrsly

Haha. It is pretty awesome, isn’t it. Everyone is sod offering and creative and it’s awesome. :)

OMGsrsly

sod offering = so different. Sigh.

JustJames

=0) random entertaining trivia: did you know that Sod’s Law is an old term for Murphy’s Law? maybe that’s why it’s glitching in that direction….

The morning is finally here! Because of the caffeine, I couldn’t try this last night, and had to wait until my commute to sample it. I wasn’t certain what to expect, but I love the Laoshan Black base so much that I knew I was probably going to be in for a treat.

Teaware: 16oz travel mug with ForLife infuser
Measured dry: 2 rounded teaspoons
Temperature: 212º F
Steeping Time: 3min
Additives: 4tsp raw sugar

Unlike last night, I’m a little more with it this morning. I followed the steeping directions regarding temperature and quantity, but extended the steep to match some Steepsterite suggestions. I think that was the right call, as this is still a little faint, and might benefit from an additional minute or even two.

Sipping this, there is no missing the Laoshan Black, but I am surprised with how subtle the spices and other notes are. It’s difficult for me to pick out the citrus notes, but I do get a little bit of the cinnamon and clove – primarily in the aftertaste. As the tea cools, they are becoming more pronounced, but I don’t think they’ve quite lived up to their potential yet. We’ll see if some additional steep time will buoy them.

This cup may need a little more fiddling with to absolutely dial it in, but for now it’s a wonderful way to ring in the morning.

First of all, a big thanks to Naylynn for sharing some of this with me even though I see she really liked it. Always hard to let go of something you really like. :) Lovely tasty black tea base, bergamot nicely balanced with some clove and cinnamon spice. Very enjoyable. Definitely enjoyable tea. For me it works well to throw in a mug and go! Some teas need a more delicate approach.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves

I purchased this from BrewTEAlly. She had suggested this based of my love for Earl Grey. I decided to go for it even though I had previously looked it up and was not interested at all in trying this tea based off of the ingredients.

I’m having a hard time describing this tea and the best I can do is say It smells like a Christmas candle but taste like bread with cinnamon and a little orange.

It took me a while to figure out what it was about this tea that made it so unique from other teas with similar ingredients: orange peel, cinnamon and clove. It’s the tea base, Laoshan Black and Zhu Rong. This is one of the first black teas I have tried that was not a normal “candy” tea base. I had no idea I was missing out and I look forward to trying other teas with these teas as the base.

I’m in love with this tea and I hope they make it again or I can find a pouch to hide because I only have enough for about half a cup.

OMG!

I swear this could be a new CLASSIC… Adore this.
It tastes just like Christmas Day to me.
Bright, Cheery & Warm.
It does NOT get any better than this.
Thank you Verdant, but PLEASE make this a permanent offering ;~}

My first impression of the dry leaf is that it is extremely smelly. Smells like traditional Xmas but I don’t actually like traditional Xmas smells so there’s that. Very smelly. If I liked it I might say aromatic, but I don’t.

Well now that it has cooled down a bit, I don’t hate it. It finishes with cinnamon which I am not a fan of but it is not overwhelming. The bergamot is strong enough to turn my mother off when she took a sip. It kind of tastes like stale crackers with an aftertaste of spice to me. Not very appealing since my last experience with stale crackers involved a meal worm in it. Yesterday. So this is 0 for 3 for this Verdant box for me. Hopefully January will be better.

I am on my 3rd steep of this and I really like it. The bergamot is more in the aftertaste, while up front it tastes like cloves and cinnamon. I’m always happy to have a blend with Laoshan Black as its base. It really makes a difference, especially in resteepability. This is my favorite blend of the month.

I used 2 tsp and steeped for 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 6 minutes and still going!

CelebriTEA

My fave blend this month as well