Fujian Xiao Zhong, Vanilla Bean, Yunnan Dian Hong
Chocolate, Peat, Vanilla, Fruity, Malt, Dark Chocolate, Cherry, Cocoa, Pepper, Honey, Apricot, Stonefruits, Creamy, Baked Bread, Caramel, Graham Cracker, Nutty, Toasted Rice, Cream, Smooth, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware...you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets. Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla...” Read full tasting note
    whisperingpinestea 62 tasting notes
  • “I absolutely love Brendan's North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation. Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 469 tasting notes
  • “I just got my first order of Golden Orchid in the mail today. I was dying to see what the highest rated tea on Steepster was like. My first impression is that it is very complex. I got more of a...” Read full tasting note
    Vwinsloe 16 tasting notes
  • “Can I get this by the pound without breaking the bank? What lovely flavors of chocolate and vanilla. There is also a melange of other flavors but I can't really pick out the individual flavors. ...” Read full tasting note
    carol who 341 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Pure decadence, this black tea blend is packed full of deep creamy cocoa notes! My goal for this tea was to bring the ice cream shop on Mackinac Island into your cup! I began with North Winds – our black tea with dessert notes inspired by the island’s famous fudge. The next step was to seek out the highest quality vanilla beans in the world, hand chop them and blend them into the base tea. Blended with a careful hand and the utmost respect for letting all of the flavors shine, this tea exceeds all expectations!

Golden Orchid carries a rich and exceedingly smooth body with a perfectly balanced flavor profile. Unlike many other vanilla black teas, our base tea shines through the vanilla, creating a mouthwatering synthesis of bold and smooth dessert notes. While the vanilla is noticible by the trained palette, it does more than just add the depth of vanilla notes. Our premium (grade A) vanilla beans sourced from the island of Madagascar accentuate the deep fudge and cocoa notes of the base tea as well as add a thick creamy aspect to the tea, reminiscent of masterfully-crafted dark chocolate. The fruity notes of the tea are ever present, too, with light notes of plum and a mouthwatering layer of dark-chocolate covered Michigan cherries! This tea extends far past the last drop, with the flavor of melted chocolate and sweet vanilla lingering for hours. We recommend enjoying Golden Orchid with shortbread cookies or breakfast pastry’s for the ultimate experience. Click here for our gluten-free shortbread recipe!

Over time, the tea will absorb the vanilla notes and smooth out. We recommend drinking this tea once or twice a week to taste the way it transforms over time. Also note that mixing up the tea prior to scooping out your desired amount of leaf is recommended due to the tendency of the vanilla beans to sink to the bottom of the bag. Enjoy!

Notes
Fudge
Dark Chocolate
Dried Cherries
Vanilla
Pluot
Honey
Malt

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

Black Tea (Yunnan Dian Hong, Fujian Black Tea)
Organic Vanilla Beans

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware…you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets.

Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla beans. The level of depth and richness in this is beyond words…but I tried :)

Notes

Looking Forward to it :)

TheTeaFairy

Can’t.wait.for.this.to.be.in.my.cupboard.

Ost

That just sounds amazing…ugh..need to wait to buy it though. >< Why must self-control be so hard!? >< Oy.

Veronica

It sounds fantastic!

MzPriss

Ive already ordered mine…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Everyone that has ordered Port or Golden Orchid and has NOT received a shipping confirmation email yet will be receiving their teas with the new vanilla! :)

Memily

I just went to add this to my wish list and it was already on there. GIMME.

Cavocorax

I’m so glad I ordered 2 oz! I just had a sample before. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:D so excited to hear what people think about it with the new vanilla! I think theres a HUGE difference!

I absolutely love Brendan’s North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation.
Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of North Winds you will prolly like this one alot too.
The Vanilla in this one is just amazing, it is the perfect compliment to the dark chocolate and malty notes that this tea carries, it makes for a very smooth creamy sweet delight.
Brenden mentions an Ice Cream shop on Mackinac Island in his description on this one, tho I have never been in that particular shop, I have to say that he hit the mark with that statement.
When you walk into an Ice Cream Shop and you get a whiff of the Vanilla ice cream they are making in the back combined with the sweet scents that you get from the other ice creams and candies, you can very easily compare that to the aromas that you get from this one. That is a very comforting and welcoming aroma that just makes you feel good.
The taste OMG totally matches the aroma, what you smell is what you actually taste and that is a wonderful thing that don’t happen often enough.
As I’m writing this I’m sipping and trying to think of more write but alls i can think is “oh Vanilla, you are so good to me”
It’s amazing how good the Vanilla in this tea is, this is no nasty vanilla flavoring that leaves a funky film in your mouth, it is real and clean and creamy sweet goodness that you only get from real Vanilla Beans.
I can’t say enough good things about this one, it is delicious to me just like Brenden’s other blends I just can’t get enough.

Oh Yeah, after the tea is steeped out the Vanilla keeps going, very interesting and very good :)

I’ll be order lots of this one for as long as it is available :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Oh Yeah, Also check out Brendan’s Port Tea also, another Whispering Pines Teas with more Vanilla goodness.

Kirkoneill1988

im going to try some someday

QueenOfTarts

This sounds so tasty!

I just got my first order of Golden Orchid in the mail today. I was dying to see what the highest rated tea on Steepster was like. My first impression is that it is very complex. I got more of a chocolate aroma and a lingering vanilla aftertaste. This is a tea that I don’t think I could get tired of, unlike so many others.

Flavors: Chocolate, Peat, Vanilla

Can I get this by the pound without breaking the bank? What lovely flavors of chocolate and vanilla. There is also a melange of other flavors but I can’t really pick out the individual flavors. The dry scent is lovely, almost better than the flavor but the flavor is awesome. I can picture this in a daily rotation of favorite teas. Unfortunately, I don’t have more :-(

Thanks to The Cookie Lady!

Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla

This is quite possibly one of the tastiest teas, if not the tastiest tea I’ve ever had. The grade A Madagascar vanilla beans in the tea really help bring out and complement the malt flavor that the tea has. Drinking this morning, day, or night this tea always brings a smile to my face and is perfect for enjoying on a nice fall day outside. The tea has flavor notes that are malty, fruity, and an almost sweet vanilla that isn’t so strong that you lose the taste of the black tea, just complements it. I can’t wait to buy more!

Flavors: Fruity, Malt, Vanilla

Whispering Pines Tea Company

So glad you like this one! :-) Keep an eye out for when it comes back in stock, as it’s gotten a nice upgrade lately!

Really delicious black tea. Loved the vanilla and chocolate notes in it. When I smell the dry leaves it smells like vanilla. When I smell the brewed tea it smells strongly of chocolate. Goes down really smooth. I taste no astringency. This would be a perfect tea to sip around the fireplace on a cold winter night.

Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla

This tea is exquisite. I’ve had it several times since I first received it in the mail a few weeks ago. And I keep returning to it, which is pretty astonishing, considering the amount of teas in my cupboard. The black tea in Golden Orchid is rich and smooth and chocolatey. Even the aftertaste reminds me of cocoa powder. Add the indulgence of sweet vanilla on top of that (and not vanilla flavoring, but hand-cut vanilla beans!) and this tea is practically a dessert. Actually, it’s better than dessert, because it’s tea! It lives up to the hype of the reviews here, which is probably the highest compliment I can give.

I recently purchased a set of samples from Whispering Pines which included North Wind and this one. I wanted to compare the base tea to the vanilla version. I have to say, this tea is pretty fantastic with vanilla beans added. You can’t go wrong with vanilla. Not getting the decadent fudge people are describing but it is good.

I feel inspired to add vanilla beans to all my teas. I had requested a pound of beans for a birthday 2 years ago and I still haven’t used them all even though I made a half gallon of vanilla extract. I’ve cut down on dessert foods lately so I guess tea is the best place for these beans now. It doesn’t take much vanilla bean to flavor a tea. I could probably do a bean or two for a pound worth of North Wind. :D Or add some to Laoshan Black. :D Plus cocoa nibs. :D Or I could play around with WP’s Fujian Black since it’s a tasty cheaper tea that would take well to vanilla and cocoa.

Dinosara

OMG vanilla beans added to LB? Genius! I think I need to order some LB just for that purpose now…

ashmanra

Have you ever tried the beans from Olive Nation? They are so much better than the ones I bought at the expensive grocery, and cheap. They are rich and moist. I wonder how they compare to other companies, though?

Mercuryhime

I haven’t! I think I was gifted beans from a seller on eBay. I’m not a vanilla expert, but they were delicious. Sweet . Aromatic, plump and sticky with moisture. Of course they are dry now 2 years later, but still great for simmering into custards and cutting up for vanilla sugar. :)

Smell this tea before you brew it because it’s amazing. The aroma is what sets up your palette’s expectations. The actual taste is not quite as amazing as it smells, but is still pretty good. It has a smooth, general good black tea feel to it, with nothing that jumps out and surprises you. Good for drinking when you don’t know what kind of tea you feel like and just want something good. Add sugar to make it a wonderful dessert tea and bring out the amazing vanilla taste.

Flavors: Vanilla

Holy chocolate, Batman!

I was teaching some 4th and 5th graders today when I took the first sip of this. Apparently…I made a face. I know this to be true because my normally rambunctious students stopped dead in their tracks and stared at me.

“Miss O….what’s wrong?!?!?!”
“Chocolate….there’s…it’s….there’s chocolate in my tea!”
“Chocolate tea????” (At this point, they commenced their usual frolicking around the classroom, only now they were chanting “chocolate tea” in a really creepy but funny way.)

So, yeah. I actually couldn’t remember what this one was supposed to taste like when I grabbed it. I just knew I had really been excited to try it when I got samples from both Ost and Beorhthraefn almost back to back. Thanks you guys!

I think I’m in love. Oh dear.

Flavors: Chocolate