Fujian Xiao Zhong, Vanilla Bean, Yunnan Dian Hong
Chocolate, Malt, Vanilla, Creamy, Smooth, Cocoa, Cream, Sweet, Caramel, Graham, Stonefruits, Toasted Rice, Peat, Fruity, Dark Chocolate, Cherry, Pepper, Honey, Apricot, Baked Bread, Graham Cracker, Nutty
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware...you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets. Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla...” Read full tasting note
    whisperingpinestea 42 tasting notes
  • “I absolutely love Brendan's North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation. Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 484 tasting notes
  • “Golden Orchid has such amazing reviews on Steepster, I think it would be almost impossible for any tea to live up to the hype. And honestly, for me it didn't. It was very good: strong and malty...” Read full tasting note
    Inkling 177 tasting notes
  • “Today our order from Whispering pine arrived. So we stopped everything we were doing because we just had to try those teas immediately. We originally discovered this company when we came up with...” Read full tasting note
    Tippy's Tea 24 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Pure decadence, this black tea blend is packed full of deep creamy cocoa notes! My goal for this tea was to bring the ice cream shop on Mackinac Island into your cup! I began with North Winds – our black tea with dessert notes inspired by the island’s famous fudge. The next step was to seek out the highest quality vanilla beans in the world, hand chop them and blend them into the base tea. Blended with a careful hand and the utmost respect for letting all of the flavors shine, this tea exceeds all expectations!

Golden Orchid carries a rich and exceedingly smooth body with a perfectly balanced flavor profile. Unlike many other vanilla black teas, our base tea shines through the vanilla, creating a mouthwatering synthesis of bold and smooth dessert notes. While the vanilla is noticible by the trained palette, it does more than just add the depth of vanilla notes. Our premium (grade A) vanilla beans sourced from the island of Madagascar accentuate the deep fudge and cocoa notes of the base tea as well as add a thick creamy aspect to the tea, reminiscent of masterfully-crafted dark chocolate. The fruity notes of the tea are ever present, too, with light notes of plum and a mouthwatering layer of dark-chocolate covered Michigan cherries! This tea extends far past the last drop, with the flavor of melted chocolate and sweet vanilla lingering for hours. We recommend enjoying Golden Orchid with shortbread cookies or breakfast pastry’s for the ultimate experience. Click here for our gluten-free shortbread recipe!

Over time, the tea will absorb the vanilla notes and smooth out. We recommend drinking this tea once or twice a week to taste the way it transforms over time. Also note that mixing up the tea prior to scooping out your desired amount of leaf is recommended due to the tendency of the vanilla beans to sink to the bottom of the bag. Enjoy!

Notes
Fudge
Dark Chocolate
Dried Cherries
Vanilla
Pluot
Honey
Malt

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

Black Tea (Yunnan Dian Hong, Fujian Black Tea)
Organic Vanilla Beans

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware…you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets.

Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla beans. The level of depth and richness in this is beyond words…but I tried :)

Notes

Looking Forward to it :)

TheTeaFairy

Can’t.wait.for.this.to.be.in.my.cupboard.

Ost

That just sounds amazing…ugh..need to wait to buy it though. >

Veronica

It sounds fantastic!

MzPriss

Ive already ordered mine…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Everyone that has ordered Port or Golden Orchid and has NOT received a shipping confirmation email yet will be receiving their teas with the new vanilla! :)

Memily

I just went to add this to my wish list and it was already on there. GIMME.

Cavocorax

I’m so glad I ordered 2 oz! I just had a sample before. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:D so excited to hear what people think about it with the new vanilla! I think theres a HUGE difference!

I absolutely love Brendan’s North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation.
Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of North Winds you will prolly like this one alot too.
The Vanilla in this one is just amazing, it is the perfect compliment to the dark chocolate and malty notes that this tea carries, it makes for a very smooth creamy sweet delight.
Brenden mentions an Ice Cream shop on Mackinac Island in his description on this one, tho I have never been in that particular shop, I have to say that he hit the mark with that statement.
When you walk into an Ice Cream Shop and you get a whiff of the Vanilla ice cream they are making in the back combined with the sweet scents that you get from the other ice creams and candies, you can very easily compare that to the aromas that you get from this one. That is a very comforting and welcoming aroma that just makes you feel good.
The taste OMG totally matches the aroma, what you smell is what you actually taste and that is a wonderful thing that don’t happen often enough.
As I’m writing this I’m sipping and trying to think of more write but alls i can think is “oh Vanilla, you are so good to me”
It’s amazing how good the Vanilla in this tea is, this is no nasty vanilla flavoring that leaves a funky film in your mouth, it is real and clean and creamy sweet goodness that you only get from real Vanilla Beans.
I can’t say enough good things about this one, it is delicious to me just like Brenden’s other blends I just can’t get enough.

Oh Yeah, after the tea is steeped out the Vanilla keeps going, very interesting and very good :)

I’ll be order lots of this one for as long as it is available :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Oh Yeah, Also check out Brendan’s Port Tea also, another Whispering Pines Teas with more Vanilla goodness.

Kirkoneill1988

im going to try some someday

QueenOfTarts

This sounds so tasty!

Golden Orchid has such amazing reviews on Steepster, I think it would be almost impossible for any tea to live up to the hype. And honestly, for me it didn’t. It was very good: strong and malty with distinct chocolate notes and a hint of vanilla. It also re-steeped beautifully. But I found myself craving a bit more of that sweet vanilla flavor than I was getting. I did notice in Brandon’s description that the vanilla tends to sink to the bottom, so maybe there wasn’t enough in my sample? Or maybe I just had over-inflated expectations. Anyway, this was very good, but not something I’ll be rushing out to purchase tomorrow. Thank you to beelicious for the sample!

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt, Vanilla

beelicious

I tried to shake the bag up before scooping out some for you… Never an easy thing to coax vanilla beans to distribute themselves fairly in a cup of tea!

Inkling

Honestly, the tea may have been exactly what it’s supposed to be. I was just SO impressed by Golden Snail and this one didn’t quite blow me away. It was still really good and I am so grateful to you for sharing! :)

Today our order from Whispering pine arrived. So we stopped everything we were doing because we just had to try those teas immediately. We originally discovered this company when we came up with what we at the time thought was the original idea of chopping vanilla beans into chocolatey flavoured Chinese black tea. We wanted to see if anyone else had done this. How naive we were. Anyway, as soon as I open the bag I’m struck by the sweet sweet smell of milk chocolate. Delicious, delicious chocolate. The scent of chocolate is very strong, and the vanilla is very heady. You can really tell that WP has used very good quality materials to build this tea. I followed the instructions stamped upon the front of the package. The smell was strongly chocolate, the taste was chocolate and vanilla. This tea does not disappoint at all. It has lived up to its hype. Cocoa amore is even better. I’ll review that one tomorrow. But this tea, I’m currently drinking gong-fu style, is good for multiple infusions, with little degradation in the flavour.

Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

Hm. I am not as in love with this one as everyone else seems to be. When I slurped it, there was a scent of smoke though not the taste. I get a creamy feel overall, but this isn’t my kind of vanilla. It certainly smells strongly of vanilla and the taste is there, though not as strong as the scent. It’s a pleasant enough cup but it doesn’t send me over the moon. Thanks for sharing, Ost!

Veronica

I adore North Winds, but I’m not a huge GO fan because its not my kind of vanilla either. Oh well.

Greg_2tea

Yes, I thought that the Dian hung in it overpowers, primarily why I dig it

Finally gave in and used my one-cup sample of this last night. I’ve been holding out for the sake of my wallet, but the temptation finally got too much! I followed the recommended parameters and gave 1/2 tbsp of leaf 3 minutes in water just cooled from boiling. While brewing, it smells amazing, like vanilla ice cream and warm chocolate sauce. I know already that it’s going to be a treat to drink.

It is, of course. From the very first sip, this is almost like drinking a cup of high quality melted chocolate (only less thick, obviously). It tastes wonderfully of dark chocolate, and is almost a little drying in its intensity, like cocoa powder. It’s saved from becoming too dry by the vanilla, which hangs around in the background and contributes a wonderful, rich, creamy-tasting depth of flavour. I wouldn’t say I get fudge, exactly, but definitely chocolate and vanilla, and enough of both to go a long way. After the initial hit of flavour wears off, I can taste a mild fruitiness that could well be the North Winds. It’s cherry, pretty much, and almost syrupy. It’s the perfect end to the perfect sip!

For a blend of black teas only flavoured with vanilla, this is exceptional. Definitely one I’d like to keep around, although for very special days only. If I drank this regularly, I’d probably drink nothing else. Utterly gorgeous stuff.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp
Whispering Pines Tea Company

So glad you enjoyed this one! :-)

Allenblaster

Great review, this makes me want to try this tea a lot!

Picked some of this up recently because I just had to know how it tasted. Turns out, it’s pretty good, but not worth the steep price (to me). Don’t get me wrong – it’s absolutely delicious. Wonderful malty, chocolatey base tea, and an excellent vanilla aroma and flavour (although it’s a little different that I was expecting; I think I have an altered perception of how vanilla is supposed to taste). It’s just a little too pricey for me, and I am happy enough with straight blacks. I will certainly enjoy this bag of it though.

I’m so pleased to be finally trying out some Whispering Pines teas, thank you to Lindsay.

This definitely does not disappoint. Lots of chocolate and a distinct vanilla that’s nice and creamy.

The chocolate notes are very similar to the base of Underground Pumpkin that I was drinking earlier, quite rich and distinct. Great for my chocolate mood today.

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Smooth, Vanilla

A smooth chocolatey mouthfeel with strong notes of cocoa and hints of vanilla interwoven throughout from start to finish – for anyone searching for a premium flavoured black tea :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Smooth, Vanilla

Alright – my first Whispering Pines order, which I got during the Cyber Monday deal.

I love a good black tea. A good, malty black tea and some vanilla notes is even more up my alley, and the smell of the steeped leaf (mostly malty, potatoey yunnan notes) and steeped tea (mostly vanilla, but so much vanilla it’s almost chocolate…has this happened to anyone before?) is really promising.

I followed the parameters recommended on the bag, so 1.5 tsp., 3 minutes and 200 degree water. The first tasting impressions I’m getting are a very creamy vanilla/chocolate combination. Not so much black tea at this point, but I have the rest of the cup to go to find that. :)

As it cools the malty notes peek out in the scent of the steeped tea, but I still mostly pick up chocolate and vanilla in the flavor. I may try some milk just to see if I can tease out a little something different…and, no. This cup is just meant to be those two flavors for me.

I agree that this is a lovely winter sipping tea – and I definitely prefer it without anything added, after trying it both ways. I’m not as wowed as others seem to be though. I’ll enjoy what I have, for sure, and I like it fine, but as of right now it doesn’t rank as a must-have.

Flavors: Cocoa, Cream, Sweet, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
looseTman

IMHO, GO is an excellent desert tea. It’s not a robust malty breakfast tea.

Cathy Zheng

I found that this one took some time to grow on me, and then I became obssessed

MzPriss