Fujian Xiao Zhong, Vanilla Bean, Yunnan Dian Hong
Smooth, Vanilla, Dark Wood, Plums, Chocolate, Honey, Sweet, Earth, Brown Toast, Malt, Creamy, Cocoa, Cream, Caramel, Graham, Stonefruits, Toasted Rice, Peat, Fruity, Dark Chocolate, Cherry, Pepper, Apricot, Baked Bread, Graham Cracker, Nutty
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Pure decadence, this black tea blend is packed full of deep creamy cocoa notes! My goal for this tea was to bring the ice cream shop on Mackinac Island into your cup! I began with North Winds – our black tea with dessert notes inspired by the island’s famous fudge. The next step was to seek out the highest quality vanilla beans in the world, hand chop them and blend them into the base tea. Blended with a careful hand and the utmost respect for letting all of the flavors shine, this tea exceeds all expectations!

Golden Orchid carries a rich and exceedingly smooth body with a perfectly balanced flavor profile. Unlike many other vanilla black teas, our base tea shines through the vanilla, creating a mouthwatering synthesis of bold and smooth dessert notes. While the vanilla is noticible by the trained palette, it does more than just add the depth of vanilla notes. Our premium (grade A) vanilla beans sourced from the island of Madagascar accentuate the deep fudge and cocoa notes of the base tea as well as add a thick creamy aspect to the tea, reminiscent of masterfully-crafted dark chocolate. The fruity notes of the tea are ever present, too, with light notes of plum and a mouthwatering layer of dark-chocolate covered Michigan cherries! This tea extends far past the last drop, with the flavor of melted chocolate and sweet vanilla lingering for hours. We recommend enjoying Golden Orchid with shortbread cookies or breakfast pastry’s for the ultimate experience. Click here for our gluten-free shortbread recipe!

Over time, the tea will absorb the vanilla notes and smooth out. We recommend drinking this tea once or twice a week to taste the way it transforms over time. Also note that mixing up the tea prior to scooping out your desired amount of leaf is recommended due to the tendency of the vanilla beans to sink to the bottom of the bag. Enjoy!

Notes
Fudge
Dark Chocolate
Dried Cherries
Vanilla
Pluot
Honey
Malt

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

Black Tea (Yunnan Dian Hong, Fujian Black Tea)
Organic Vanilla Beans

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware…you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets.

Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla beans. The level of depth and richness in this is beyond words…but I tried :)

Notes

Looking Forward to it :)

TheTeaFairy

Can’t.wait.for.this.to.be.in.my.cupboard.

Ost

That just sounds amazing…ugh..need to wait to buy it though. >

Veronica

It sounds fantastic!

MzPriss

Ive already ordered mine…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Everyone that has ordered Port or Golden Orchid and has NOT received a shipping confirmation email yet will be receiving their teas with the new vanilla! :)

Memily

I just went to add this to my wish list and it was already on there. GIMME.

Cavocorax

I’m so glad I ordered 2 oz! I just had a sample before. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:D so excited to hear what people think about it with the new vanilla! I think theres a HUGE difference!

I absolutely love Brendan’s North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation.
Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of North Winds you will prolly like this one alot too.
The Vanilla in this one is just amazing, it is the perfect compliment to the dark chocolate and malty notes that this tea carries, it makes for a very smooth creamy sweet delight.
Brenden mentions an Ice Cream shop on Mackinac Island in his description on this one, tho I have never been in that particular shop, I have to say that he hit the mark with that statement.
When you walk into an Ice Cream Shop and you get a whiff of the Vanilla ice cream they are making in the back combined with the sweet scents that you get from the other ice creams and candies, you can very easily compare that to the aromas that you get from this one. That is a very comforting and welcoming aroma that just makes you feel good.
The taste OMG totally matches the aroma, what you smell is what you actually taste and that is a wonderful thing that don’t happen often enough.
As I’m writing this I’m sipping and trying to think of more write but alls i can think is “oh Vanilla, you are so good to me”
It’s amazing how good the Vanilla in this tea is, this is no nasty vanilla flavoring that leaves a funky film in your mouth, it is real and clean and creamy sweet goodness that you only get from real Vanilla Beans.
I can’t say enough good things about this one, it is delicious to me just like Brenden’s other blends I just can’t get enough.

Oh Yeah, after the tea is steeped out the Vanilla keeps going, very interesting and very good :)

I’ll be order lots of this one for as long as it is available :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Oh Yeah, Also check out Brendan’s Port Tea also, another Whispering Pines Teas with more Vanilla goodness.

Kirkoneill1988

im going to try some someday

QueenOfTarts

This sounds so tasty!

I haven’t ordered from Whispering Pines in a while, and all my favorites were out of stock :( so I had to try something new. This tea smells divine in the bag. Strong vanilla and chocolate. But when I brewed it, most of those notes were lost somewhere in the process. I was left with a cup that tasted very much like North Winds. I didn’t pay attention at the time that this tea is, indeed, made with North Winds. But that’s OK, since I LOVE the North Winds black tea. Although I’m not sure if the version I tried last is same as current version. At any rate, this tea is good, but I was disappointed in translation of dry leaf to cup. I think Ill have to change the brewing parameters next time and see if I can’t bring out more flavor. Also, sometimes my taste buds have an off day and don’t notice the obvious. I’ll be returning to this tea soon for re-evaluation.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hey Shelley, the vanilla in Golden Orchid (especially older stuff) can sink to the bottom of the bag. Try giving it a good mix-up before scooping next time, and hopefully that helps :-)

Shelley_Lorraine

I’ll try that next time. Thanks!

Backlog from the weekend:

Goodness, this tea smells lovely when you brew it. I totally get the fudgy notes that people say this tea has. However, I’m not sure if vanilla is the most predominant flavour for me. I get instead a sweet sort of leather/smoke note, plus those chocolate notes. I steeped it twice and was pretty content with the results.

I have about 1 good serving of this left, and I’m looking forward to it. I think that the yunnan in this blend is the kind of yunnan I prefer: leather flavour over sweet potato.

Alas, another black tea that I didn’t really enjoy. I think my tastebuds are changing and rejecting all the black teas :P

Marzipan

Does not compute!

Phi

I think some of it is the weather! I crave black tea in the fall, but find it kinda nasty in warmer weather.

Stephanie

Damn, this one is the best, Kiebs!

TeaNTees

Blasphemy! :P

Marzipan

(send it all to us!)

kieblera5

I only had a small sample from the generous Phi :P

MzPriss

Inconceivable!

This tea is awesome! I was lucky enough to snag two ounces from Whispering Pines when it went up for sale. When i opened the package the aroma hits you; true vanilla. But the vanilla isn’t over powering its just there to compliment the other flavors the Dian Hong and the Fujian Xiao Zhong have to offer. I would highly recommend this tea.

Flavors: Smooth, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

So yummy! I cant get enough!

Flavors: Vanilla

185 °F / 85 °C 4 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Thank you Blodeuyn again for this :) This will be the last sample.

I was saving the best for last. This tea was promoted to be the classic of the company, and this is what put them on the map. I knew it would be good!

The aroma coming from this package was amazing! These leaves carry the scent of a true vanilla. I define a true vanilla as one that is not a sugary sweet flavor that is often associated with the color white, but a bold dark taste that is a balance of sweet and malt. I brewed this dessert in my glassware western style. I didn’t wish to use gongfu on flavored teas. My glass gave off an enticing cloud. It was a floral vanilla but with an undertone of oiled fine wood. I took a sip of this delectable treat, and I now know why this is so popular. The flavor started as a smooth syrup with a honey mouthfeel. The flavor was dark mahogany with a sugarcane sweetness. This flavor continued into various others, ever changing. I could hint at dried plums, black cherries, and a slight floral. This bouquet of flavors was wrapped up in a complex blend. The finishing taste was that of the true vanilla side by side with a tone of milk chocolate. I also indulged in my shortbread cookies (website recommended) which maximized the flavor. This brew carries some amazing flavors, and it lasts well into multiple steeping.

I am never a person for flavored teas, especially when they are sweetened. I think they taste too artificial, or the flavors masks the actual tea. This blend I believe was done right, exceptionally right. I guess I should never say never :)

Flavors: Dark Wood, Plums, Vanilla

ohhh that smell!! vanilla heaven!

Wow.
Just, wow.
I have all my samples from Dexter (THANK YOU!!), but I needed something I could make quick, and the brewing directions were written on the baggie, so I went with this one. My daughter was waiting for me, since she wanted to watch Doctor Who together (she picked out “End of Time Part 1”…she just likes to see me get weepy over that cafe scene with The Doctor and Wilf….every time. it gets me every time!).
I sat down with my mug and took a sniff and was blown away…. this smelled like the most REAL vanilla…high quality vanilla…I have ever smelled in a tea! And the chocolate notes swirling with it… just Soooo unbelievable amazing in scent.
Sipping, I was just as amazed… Right now, this could possibly be my favourite flavoured tea… it has everything I want in a flavoured tea!
So unbelievably good!

OMara

I think it’s awesome that you watch Dr Who with your daughter. My sister and dad watch Star Trek and vintage Dr Who together.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Smells like real vanilla because it is! :D glad you loved this one!

carol who

Always glad to see other Whovians! (I’ve been watching for 33 years) Anyone interested in swapping tea for Doctor Who books? I accumulated a ton during the hiatus (‘89-’05). I’m always open to a swap! :D

DeliriumsFrogs

Yeah, she loves watching Doctor Who with me. :))) And that’s so sweet about your sister and your dad!

Whispering Pines, I can completely tell it’s real vanilla. So great! (and, I think I’ll use my mackinac island mug for this tea next time ;) )

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Mmm I think I’ll have to get one of those mugs! I plan on dropping by the ice cream shop that inspired it and making some for the owner :-)

Anlina

Aww, that episode… ;o;

DeliriumsFrogs

Carol Who, I will most DEFINITELY keep that in mind (I swapped with you before and loved the books you sent!). When this winter decides to depart, and I can actually get around my town like a normal person, going to the post office won’t seem like such an insurmountable task. lol I’d love to swap then! :))