Fujian Xiao Zhong, Vanilla Bean, Yunnan Dian Hong
Chocolate, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Apricot, Stonefruits, Vanilla, Creamy, Dark Chocolate, Baked Bread, Caramel, Fruity, Graham Cracker, Nutty, Toasted Rice, Cream, Smooth, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Pure decadence, this black tea blend is packed full of deep creamy cocoa notes! My goal for this tea was to bring the ice cream shop on Mackinac Island into your cup! I began with North Winds – our black tea with dessert notes inspired by the island’s famous fudge. The next step was to seek out the highest quality vanilla beans in the world, hand chop them and blend them into the base tea. Blended with a careful hand and the utmost respect for letting all of the flavors shine, this tea exceeds all expectations!

Golden Orchid carries a rich and exceedingly smooth body with a perfectly balanced flavor profile. Unlike many other vanilla black teas, our base tea shines through the vanilla, creating a mouthwatering synthesis of bold and smooth dessert notes. While the vanilla is noticible by the trained palette, it does more than just add the depth of vanilla notes. Our premium (grade A) vanilla beans sourced from the island of Madagascar accentuate the deep fudge and cocoa notes of the base tea as well as add a thick creamy aspect to the tea, reminiscent of masterfully-crafted dark chocolate. The fruity notes of the tea are ever present, too, with light notes of plum and a mouthwatering layer of dark-chocolate covered Michigan cherries! This tea extends far past the last drop, with the flavor of melted chocolate and sweet vanilla lingering for hours. We recommend enjoying Golden Orchid with shortbread cookies or breakfast pastry’s for the ultimate experience. Click here for our gluten-free shortbread recipe!

Over time, the tea will absorb the vanilla notes and smooth out. We recommend drinking this tea once or twice a week to taste the way it transforms over time. Also note that mixing up the tea prior to scooping out your desired amount of leaf is recommended due to the tendency of the vanilla beans to sink to the bottom of the bag. Enjoy!

Notes
Fudge
Dark Chocolate
Dried Cherries
Vanilla
Pluot
Honey
Malt

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

Black Tea (Yunnan Dian Hong, Fujian Black Tea)
Organic Vanilla Beans

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware…you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets.

Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla beans. The level of depth and richness in this is beyond words…but I tried :)

Notes

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Looking Forward to it :)

Can’t.wait.for.this.to.be.in.my.cupboard.

Ost

That just sounds amazing…ugh..need to wait to buy it though. >< Why must self-control be so hard!? >< Oy.

Veronica

It sounds fantastic!

MzPriss

Ive already ordered mine…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Everyone that has ordered Port or Golden Orchid and has NOT received a shipping confirmation email yet will be receiving their teas with the new vanilla! :)

Memily

I just went to add this to my wish list and it was already on there. GIMME.

Cavocorax

I’m so glad I ordered 2 oz! I just had a sample before. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:D so excited to hear what people think about it with the new vanilla! I think theres a HUGE difference!

I absolutely love Brendan’s North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation.
Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of North Winds you will prolly like this one alot too.
The Vanilla in this one is just amazing, it is the perfect compliment to the dark chocolate and malty notes that this tea carries, it makes for a very smooth creamy sweet delight.
Brenden mentions an Ice Cream shop on Mackinac Island in his description on this one, tho I have never been in that particular shop, I have to say that he hit the mark with that statement.
When you walk into an Ice Cream Shop and you get a whiff of the Vanilla ice cream they are making in the back combined with the sweet scents that you get from the other ice creams and candies, you can very easily compare that to the aromas that you get from this one. That is a very comforting and welcoming aroma that just makes you feel good.
The taste OMG totally matches the aroma, what you smell is what you actually taste and that is a wonderful thing that don’t happen often enough.
As I’m writing this I’m sipping and trying to think of more write but alls i can think is “oh Vanilla, you are so good to me”
It’s amazing how good the Vanilla in this tea is, this is no nasty vanilla flavoring that leaves a funky film in your mouth, it is real and clean and creamy sweet goodness that you only get from real Vanilla Beans.
I can’t say enough good things about this one, it is delicious to me just like Brenden’s other blends I just can’t get enough.

Oh Yeah, after the tea is steeped out the Vanilla keeps going, very interesting and very good :)

I’ll be order lots of this one for as long as it is available :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Oh Yeah, Also check out Brendan’s Port Tea also, another Whispering Pines Teas with more Vanilla goodness.

Kirkoneill1988

im going to try some someday

QueenOfTarts

This sounds so tasty!

Backlogging

Simply divine. Decadent and delicious.

I don’t know what there is left to say about it that hasn’t already been said.

It’s smooth and rich, desserty without being cloying. It’s a snuggly tea. It wraps you up in a big hug.

I consumed my whole sample pack in two sets of steepings with in 24 hours. Since it holds up well to multiple steeps that’s a lot of tea! I was continuously surprised that each additional steep brought out new dimensions and joy.

Now I know what all the hype is about!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you enjoyed this! :)

MzPriss

I’m drinking some RIGHT now and I <3 it. Welcome to the GO addiction.

Another sample from the nice Cameron B. It smells so much like malted chocolate. There is a bit of yam and maybe honey, but mostly cocoa. That comes out very in the flavour as well. Most delicious and smooth.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Honey, Malt

Cameron B.

Yum, just had a cup of this this morning, with maple sugar! :P

TheTeaFairy

Every time I read about this one, I go fix myself a cup!

Lariel

You’re welcome. Where do you get maple sugar?

TheTeaFairy

Lol, this question makes me laugh cause I live in the land of maple, so for me it’s pretty much everywhere and anywhere…Curious about cameron’s answer. Is it 100% maple sugar? I know they make a lot a maple stuff that has only a small quantity of actual maple…

boychik

i use only 100% maple syrup.

Lariel

It’s hard to find true maple products in California. Though I did try some really candies when I was in British Columbia.

Stephanie

Boychik have you ever had grade B syrup? I have a place I order it from semi local (the do ship countrywide) and it is wonderful. The maple flavor is more concentrated and it is much darker. The grading system is just about translucency. Anyway, I need to get more of this tea. So good.

Frolic

I’m in California and have gotten it at trader joes before.

TheTeaFairy

Stephanie, I’m so glad you noticed that…my grand father had a sugar shack and we could not wait to get our hands on the darker stuff. Here, most people prefer the medium grade. Clear grade is more “commercial” and looks more golden and appealing I guess. But medium or dark are so much more flavourful!!

Cameron B.

Lariel and TeaFairy, I don’t know if it was 100% maple sugar, I used the last piece and threw away the packaging! As for the where, I got it at the Chicago airport. :P

Stephanie

People don’t know what they’re missing, for reals :)

Stephanie

I want a sugar shack. Dang that sounds awesome.

Lariel

Haven’t seen maple sugar at my Trader Joe’s, will look again.

boychik

Stephanie, grade B is my fav. its dark and more flavorful.

YAY high fives boychik :D

I finished the last of my 1 oz of this tea today during an extremely rare summer thunderstorm. This tea was not what I thought it would be initially. It is best cool. Dry, it has strong tobacco and carob notes, its a mix of gold and brown leaves that is quite pleasant to look at and smell. I tried brewing it various ways but settled on 2tsp. I get 1 decent resteep out of the leaves this way. The tea when hot has a faint whiff of chocolate the taste is like the hot carob we had at camp with a little smoke and perhaps some pine and sweetness which must be what the vanilla is contributing, it is dense like coffee and I think this would be a good coffee drinker’s tea. As it cools (and the batch I cold brewed) I get some scent but no taste of vanilla perhaps masked in the strong carob. The second steep is not as coffee like, the sweetness is gone but there’s more tobacco and carob taste. I tried adding avocado honey to this cup and the molasses like sweetness really compliments it.

I was extremely pumped to try this tea. I love it, but I’m not getting the apricot or pluot flavor that others taste.
I know it’s not proper, but I drank the second steep with milk and agave syrup just for kicks, and it was a delicious cup! It tastes vanilla/mocha/malty to me.

Boiling 1 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

There is so much fudge here.. I’ll never have to buy fudge again. This tea is my new, regret-free, fudge, that doesn’t make me feel violently ill after consuming too much of it (yay).

Golden Orchid has quite a few similarities to North Winds, such as the delicious stonefruit and cocoa honey notes, but the additional vanilla makes this tea it’s own individual entity (aka-fudge). There’s some waffle cone malt too. My only hold up is that it doesn’t have the multi-steep prowess that North Winds demonstrated, although it’s still adequate.

Flavors: Apricot, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Stonefruits, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Mmmmmmmm.

Cavocorax

So I just had a cup of this because of your review, and then moved things around on my cupboard so that I could make this one tin-worthy (and therefore more likely to have a permanent place on my shelf!) Mmmm… fudge.

pyarkaaloo

this sounds absolutely outrageous! going on my wish list.

TheTeaFairy

Hehe! Totally tin worthy :-)

whatshesaid

Now I want sommmmme

CrowKettle

This is on my tin-worthy list too. I hope the fudge appeal lasts a long time :)

I don’t have time for a long review here, where I wax poetic about the glories of this tea.
Let’s just jump to the chase & say that everything you’ve heard about this tea is spot on. The initial aroma reminds me of a really high quality vanilla pipe tobacco (although I don’t know for sure if I’ve ever actually smelled one), & then you start drinking it, & it’s awesomely wonderful, vanilla ice cream with dark chocolate sauce drizzled over the top, the kind that hardens into a shell. What I love about it most is that the black tea underneath isn’t some woosie generic, it’s bold & thick chinese blacks. And yeah, it resteeps like a dream, & I’m taking all those resteeps for once. And the sweet aftertaste lingers…sigh…
I’ve said enough!

TheTeaFairy

Yay!! That’s EXACTLY what it is!!!

Welcome to the GO Cult :-)

Lariel

There’s a tea cult? I’ve already exchanged some of my possessions for tea.

This one is so yum!!!!

I’m so sad that my Whispering Pines order didn’t come today. D:

bizbee1

I want to try mine but I can’t drink a black tea this late in the day.. tomorrow for sure!
You can make the chocolate sauce you describe by melting and combining coconut oil and chocolate chips (I do that from time to time)

TheTeaFairy

Well…I kind of just decided that there was a GO Cult….cause ya know, it’s getting more and more followers. The Guru is Tea Whiz Of The Woods (Brenden). It’s VERY hard to resist all his charismatic teas…

Cameron B.

Golden Orchid is the Kool-Aid of the Whispering Pines cult…

Terri HarpLady

Tea Cults Are Us…just sayin’

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Is wit a requirement to be a Steepster member? Cause I don’t know where else you can get as much for free!!!

TheTeaFairy

And in this case cameron… DO DRINK THE KOOL-AID!!

Drink all the kool-aid! :D

The Illustrious Cult of the Golden Orchid
Guru: Tea Whiz of the Woods
Official Organizer & Cheerleader: TheTeaFairy
Meetings: Monthly, in the Steepster basement
Please bring a snack to share.

I’ll bring CHERRIES!!

I’ll bring mushrooms! ;)

Lariel

I’ll bring tea flavoured bread.

TheTeaFairy

Haha! And we can ask mj to bring her communal fridge!

Lol, Sarsonator, “The Illustrious Cult of the Golden Orchid” makes an awesome cult name!!!

Cameron B.

I’ll make petit fours! With little pine trees on them!

Terri HarpLady

I’ll bring almond flour scones! :)

Sarsonator

I’ll sit in the back and drink all your tea! :p

And thanks, TTF! Glad you like the name!

Frolic

I want to join the cult! But no more tea for me till black friday. I tried telling myself that buying samples didn’t count and I may cave there because the WP cult is ever so persuasive.

GO just sounds so decadent.

Sarsonator

You’re not buying any tea until NOVEMBER?!?!?! Wow. I really envy your willpower.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

There will be no black friday sale at WP. I am strongly against black friday. There will be a cyber monday sale though :)

MzPriss

I want to be the Court Jester for the cult. I’m trying to decide if I need to give in to my sudden GO craving or actualy sleep again tonight

Sarsonator

I also dislike Black Friday. I refuse to leave my house. This year, though, maybe I will host an online Steepster Sipdown Fest!

HoneyBelle a.k.a MzPriss: You are now the official Cult Jester :p

Woo! I’m so like that HoneyBelle name as well I reeeeeeeeeely want some GO now

TheTeaFairy

Hmmm…Sudden GO cravings are hard to resist….Court Jester, that’s exactly what we were missing :-)

(Oh, may I reserve my Fest tickets now Sarsonator?)

liking not like

You know – Steepster needs a chat

Sarsonator

I am going to have to veto the idea of a Steepster Chat. If there was a Steepster Chat, I would never get anything done!!!! :p

MzPriss

I haven’t ever done one, but a friend of mine does some gaming chat and she loves it. But yeah, time sucker I bet

Frolic

Well the tea buying may start on black friday but that doesn’t mean it’ll stop then…

It’s chat already ;)

TheTeaFairy

Lol, boychik,I was just going to say that ;-)

Terri HarpLady

I was also gonna say what boychik said. It’s kind of like a slow moving chat.

So we’re doing it? Cool.

Lariel

I think people who go out shopping on Black Friday should get their heads examined. Pro Cyber Monday though.

Terri HarpLady

I don’t go anywhere near any stores on Black Friday, but I definitely participate in the cyber monday tea sales!

Nattie

This is going to sound super ignorant, but… What is Black Friday??

MzPriss

@Nattie – Black Friday is an unfortunate USA custom where all the retailers have these giant sales (allegedly) the day after Thanksgiving. It has gotten earlier and earlier to where now it starts on Thanksgiving. People trample each other and have fights over cheap TVs. It is an ugly custom in the stores. Cyber Monday, while sort-of the same thing – is online and much more civilized and NOT on a holiday you should be spending with your people instead of being in line for 12 hours to fight over stuff you can usually get just as good a deal on later.

Nattie

Ahh okay, thanks! We have a similar thing over here with the Boxing Day sales, but at least it doesn’t start until after Christmas! Cyber Monday sounds much better (:

Sarsonator

MzPriss, you slay me: “Black Friday is an unfortunate USA custom”

Could not agree more!

Keep in mind I’m not an expert. :D

The first time I made it, I took a few BURNING sips, and tasted hints of vanilla with a fudgy, hoppy aftertaste. YUM! I let it cool off for a few moments, and… What?! What’s going on?! I think part of it is because I used too much water to too little leaves, because it became something different. It literally tasted like a beer tea. I honestly don’t mind, but where did the fudge and sweetness go? I also think the hardness of the tap water here has been effecting my tea. I used to use a water filter, because I hate the chlorine smell/taste of our local tap water. I had to play around with it a little more…

Second time around…
WOW WOWIEE! Now I know exactly what people are making a fuss about! This time I used almost exactly 1.5 tsp with 8oz of water. (First steep was 12-14oz to 1.4 tsp. Which didn’t turn out well for me.) I let it cool down and it tastes like chocolate malt tea. In my opinion its best this way! :)

I love the weird hoppy, nutty after taste. Its akin to the taste of a good stout. Yum! Any beer aficionados out there agree?

I’ve also read that it tastes like fresh baked bread, after sitting here for awhile, there is a subtle aftertaste of toasty baguette crust.

Definitely play around with this tea. I didn’t have good luck with it at first, but now I know where I went wrong.

So dynamic and interesting. Skipping out on this would be a mistake!!!

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML