Fujian Xiao Zhong, Vanilla Bean, Yunnan Dian Hong
Chocolate, Malt, Vanilla, Cherry, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Pepper, Honey, Apricot, Stonefruits, Creamy, Baked Bread, Caramel, Fruity, Graham Cracker, Nutty, Toasted Rice, Cream, Smooth, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Pure decadence, this black tea blend is packed full of deep creamy cocoa notes! My goal for this tea was to bring the ice cream shop on Mackinac Island into your cup! I began with North Winds – our black tea with dessert notes inspired by the island’s famous fudge. The next step was to seek out the highest quality vanilla beans in the world, hand chop them and blend them into the base tea. Blended with a careful hand and the utmost respect for letting all of the flavors shine, this tea exceeds all expectations!

Golden Orchid carries a rich and exceedingly smooth body with a perfectly balanced flavor profile. Unlike many other vanilla black teas, our base tea shines through the vanilla, creating a mouthwatering synthesis of bold and smooth dessert notes. While the vanilla is noticible by the trained palette, it does more than just add the depth of vanilla notes. Our premium (grade A) vanilla beans sourced from the island of Madagascar accentuate the deep fudge and cocoa notes of the base tea as well as add a thick creamy aspect to the tea, reminiscent of masterfully-crafted dark chocolate. The fruity notes of the tea are ever present, too, with light notes of plum and a mouthwatering layer of dark-chocolate covered Michigan cherries! This tea extends far past the last drop, with the flavor of melted chocolate and sweet vanilla lingering for hours. We recommend enjoying Golden Orchid with shortbread cookies or breakfast pastry’s for the ultimate experience. Click here for our gluten-free shortbread recipe!

Over time, the tea will absorb the vanilla notes and smooth out. We recommend drinking this tea once or twice a week to taste the way it transforms over time. Also note that mixing up the tea prior to scooping out your desired amount of leaf is recommended due to the tendency of the vanilla beans to sink to the bottom of the bag. Enjoy!

Notes
Fudge
Dark Chocolate
Dried Cherries
Vanilla
Pluot
Honey
Malt

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

Black Tea (Yunnan Dian Hong, Fujian Black Tea)
Organic Vanilla Beans

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware…you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets.

Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla beans. The level of depth and richness in this is beyond words…but I tried :)

Notes

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Looking Forward to it :)

Can’t.wait.for.this.to.be.in.my.cupboard.

Ost

That just sounds amazing…ugh..need to wait to buy it though. >< Why must self-control be so hard!? >< Oy.

Veronica

It sounds fantastic!

MzPriss

Ive already ordered mine…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Everyone that has ordered Port or Golden Orchid and has NOT received a shipping confirmation email yet will be receiving their teas with the new vanilla! :)

Memily

I just went to add this to my wish list and it was already on there. GIMME.

Cavocorax

I’m so glad I ordered 2 oz! I just had a sample before. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:D so excited to hear what people think about it with the new vanilla! I think theres a HUGE difference!

I absolutely love Brendan’s North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation.
Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of North Winds you will prolly like this one alot too.
The Vanilla in this one is just amazing, it is the perfect compliment to the dark chocolate and malty notes that this tea carries, it makes for a very smooth creamy sweet delight.
Brenden mentions an Ice Cream shop on Mackinac Island in his description on this one, tho I have never been in that particular shop, I have to say that he hit the mark with that statement.
When you walk into an Ice Cream Shop and you get a whiff of the Vanilla ice cream they are making in the back combined with the sweet scents that you get from the other ice creams and candies, you can very easily compare that to the aromas that you get from this one. That is a very comforting and welcoming aroma that just makes you feel good.
The taste OMG totally matches the aroma, what you smell is what you actually taste and that is a wonderful thing that don’t happen often enough.
As I’m writing this I’m sipping and trying to think of more write but alls i can think is “oh Vanilla, you are so good to me”
It’s amazing how good the Vanilla in this tea is, this is no nasty vanilla flavoring that leaves a funky film in your mouth, it is real and clean and creamy sweet goodness that you only get from real Vanilla Beans.
I can’t say enough good things about this one, it is delicious to me just like Brenden’s other blends I just can’t get enough.

Oh Yeah, after the tea is steeped out the Vanilla keeps going, very interesting and very good :)

I’ll be order lots of this one for as long as it is available :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Oh Yeah, Also check out Brendan’s Port Tea also, another Whispering Pines Teas with more Vanilla goodness.

Kirkoneill1988

im going to try some someday

QueenOfTarts

This sounds so tasty!

I am incredibly happy right now because I finally found my favorite vanilla tea- and it’s my birthday, too! This is vanilla- not the fake powdery stuff so often found in flavored teas, but rather the complex and true vanilla that can be enjoyed when one is separating vanilla beans. And like that isn’t already enough, this tea also has chocolate and other lovely notes to enjoy in the same cup. I will write a more formal review later this week, but I am in love and will be reordering for sure.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt, Vanilla

TheTeaFairy

Yay! Another GO believer :-)

And happy birthday!!!

Nightshifter

I am absolutely a believer- one sip and I was hooked! Thank you! :)

yyz

Have a great one! Glad your enjoying it with a tea you live!

yyz

Love = live.

Nightshifter

Thank you! :)

Lee

Happy Birthday!

Getting mail is usually my favorite part of the day, I get packages of tea from all over the world, I get books from Goodread’s First Read program which is usually awesome, and sometimes I get presents from my friends and family on the other side of the country. But there are some days when the mail betrays me and brings me an unexpected and gut wrenching medical bill that I have no idea how I will afford. So much for doing anything fun for the next couple months, so lame, I clearly need a tea that will cheer me up!

Today’s tea fits that description perfectly, Golden Orchid by Whispering Pines Tea Co is one of the few teas that not only puts me in a good mood, it makes me feel better. A blend of their North Winds tea (which is a blend of Chinese Yunnan Dian Hong and Chinese Fujian Black Tea) and hand-chopped Grade A Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans. If that sounds incredibly decadent to you, well, I am certainly not going to say you are wrong. The aroma is so intensely rich and so incredibly sweet, it is a blend of sweet vanilla (real vanilla, not vanilla extract smell) with a warm cocoa, a touch of honey, a pinch of cream, and a finish of sweet dried cherries. I admit when I first sniffed this teas I just kinda sat there in awe, I do not say this very often, but the aroma blend was perfection.

Before I get too much farther into reviewing this tea, if you have not, you should read Whispering Pine’s tea descriptions! They are inspired by the creator’s experiences in Northern Michigan (and occasional Middle Earth) and they might be the most transportive descriptions I have had the pleasure of reading, even though they are about Michigan, they remind me of my time in the North Woods of Minnesota, so it touches a very special place in my heart. The now soggy leaves are a swirling sweet blend of creamy sweet vanilla and cocoa, it wafts out of my gaiwan and seems to coat the entire tea area in sweetness. Sniffing further into the leaves I can detect notes of cocoa, sweet potatoes, pepper, and of course vanilla. The liquid is intensely creamy with notes of vanilla, cocoa, a touch of cherries, and a tiny bit of pepper at the finish.

When I sip this tea, I feel the need to go Greek and lounge, or at the very least slouch in my chair, because this tea makes my head spin. When I brew it I use a pseudo-gongfu, I use my gaiwan set (because I want tiny sips) but I brew it similar to Western style using less leaf than I usually would and letting it steep longer. The taste starts out rich with notes of cocoa mixing cocoa butter creaminess and rich dark chocolate, this is accompanied by sweet caramelized sugar. At the beginning there is a hint of rich vanilla that builds around the mid-taste, this explodes into a sweet, creamy crescendo at the end which blends perfectly with the finishing notes of malt and pepper. The aftertaste is vanilla, and it lingers for quite a while. A fun thing about this tea that makes me giggle is the slightly tingly mouthfeel from the golden tea’s fuzzies, teas with fuzzy trichomes make me immensely happy.

The second steep’s aroma has even more of a vanilla presence than the first, it almost smells like creamy vanilla icecream…you know, the good stuff that has bits of vanilla bean in it, that was always my favorite vanilla. The taste takes a cue from the aroma and starts off with a strong vanilla presence, it is joined in the mid-taste by notes of roasted peanuts, sweet potatoes, caramel, and of course a strong cocoa finish. The cocoa and vanilla have a gentle finish together and both linger into the aftertaste. This tea very much so double features as a dessert tea and a feel good decadent tea, it has become my new morning wake up sip, and I jokingly told the proprietor that it cured my Fibromyalgia. It is wonderful to find teas that taste good, I have found hundreds that I enjoy and certainly dozens that I love, but I have only found a few that make me feel good physically, spiritually, and mentally…this tea joins that lofty few.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/08/whispering-pines-tea-co-golden-orchid.html

Flavors: Cherry, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Pepper, Vanilla

Sooo…yes, I had to get this tea after review after review praising its amazingness. And I confess – I’ve drank at least 3 cups before logging this tea. And might as well get it out now – I am ALSO on the GO fan club train!!!!!! :D

I first had this tea last weekend at the lake, where i have zero internets most of the time so I couldn’t log the awesomeness of this blend. But I am finally taking the time to write a review instead of downing the cup and sighing with happiness lol. So here we go!

The dry smell of this tea is HEAVENLY. It smells like pure fudge. When I first smelled it I exclaimed in excitement and immediately shoved the bag under various people’s noses for them to enjoy it as well (my mom..my dad..they know I’m a bit crazy about tea at least lol). And having it today, it still smells just as amazing.

I followed the brewing instructions – ~.5 TBSP in 200 degree water for 3 mins. The resulting tea is a deep rich brown and smells like an amazing Yunnan black tea with added sweet notes – honeyed, malty, rich.

As for the flavor…mmmmm. This is GOOD TEA. The base is an excellent quality, I picture a lovely Yunnan black bursting with honey and malt notes..then add in vanilla beans. Folks, this is by far the best vanilla tea I have had in my life. The main notes are honey, vanilla and yes…when they all meld together, you get fudge. The sweet notes come out more as the tea cools, and is is just wonderful. I also found I didn’t get a crazy caffeine buzz or have my anxiety act up from this tea – major plus in my books! Oh and this also tasted great, maybe even BETTER, up at the lake with non-filtered water…might have to try that! Or the water is just better up there haha.

So overall, this is a masterpiece. I have told Brenden on FB that this tea is a masterpiece, and I will tell all of Steepster too haha. If you like fudge, vanilla and good black tea, try this. I can’t even imagine how good Cocoa Amore is haha since it also has vanilla and different black teas lol. But this one is a win and a half for me. I am going through my ounce at an alarming rate, and with all the teas I have in my cupboard, I really shouldn’t order any more until Black Friday. But this one might make me…oh how I wish it was free shipping to Canada too! I applaud the maker of this blend! SUPERB TEA.

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt, Vanilla

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I’m so glad you’re enjoying this one too! :)

MissLena

It’s the best :D well, Rivendell is close haha, still need to write a note on that one too! You, good sir, know how to blend teas! I need to take a trip to the US in the near future to cash in on that free shipping…hehe

Hehehe, I try :)

There is free shipping on Canadian orders over $75! :)

TheTeaFairy

Welcome to the GO cheerleaders club misslena :-)

MissLena

Haha with the rate I’m going enjoying tea, $75 does not seem unattainable :D

And a proud new member Teafairy! I’ve already been telling more people about it, and made a new tea friend at a party yesterday too :)

In honor of Brendens new shipping policy, I’m having a cup of this.

Confession time. I’ve had this before and was left feeling… Uninspired. I didn’t write a note because based on the cult following that GO has, I was expecting to want to get this tattooed on my chest and to name my first born after it. When I didn’t feel the need to do either of those, my first thought was I did something wrong. So I gave it some time, and vowed to try again.

Determined to get the best cup, I used about 1-1.5 tablespoons, and steeped for just under 2 minutes, in a sort of gongfu style. I don’t know if the change of style had an effect, but taking a sip, I think I finally understand what the issue was: I had it a month ago when I first decided to try black teas, and one my palate wasn’t as refined, and two I wasn’t fond of malt yet at that point (now I totally dig it). The front of the sip is lots of malt and cocoa, and a thick mouth feel that together reminds me of good dark fudge. Mmm. The mid sip is smooth creamy vanilla with the fudge, and a dark cherry note also comes out. Like I’m eating cherries and then eating decadent fudge.

There’s little vanilla bean seeds at the bottom of my cup. Is it weird that I find them cute? I don’t know how I missed the cocoa the first time I tried this, it’s so prevalent.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Frolic

If you like the cherry note in GO you’d love Cocoa Amore if you haven’t tried it yet. It’s like super intense GO with the cherry note front and center.

mj

And it gets better as it ages! I recently found that out

Frolic

You must have incredible strength to let it age and not drink it all immediately.

mj

It feels like such a special occasion tea to me and I don’t like to drink it while I eat because I want to taste only the GO :). So those things combined help me to not plow through it immediately. And it really does get waaaaay better if you let it sit a while!

Frolic

I do get wanting to taste only GO. I have a hard time decided what to drink while I eat because with so many of my teas I like to enjoy the flavor profile alone.

I think I’ll be able to slow down drinking my oz now that I have a ton of new teas and am dedicated to sipping down my own cupboard.

I can also see how the vanilla would mingle more with the tea and enhance the flavor even more.

Marzipan

I love this, I was so sad I didn’t win the contest.

TheTeaFairy

I love this passionately….in my little VD pot ;-)

Backlogging

Simply divine. Decadent and delicious.

I don’t know what there is left to say about it that hasn’t already been said.

It’s smooth and rich, desserty without being cloying. It’s a snuggly tea. It wraps you up in a big hug.

I consumed my whole sample pack in two sets of steepings with in 24 hours. Since it holds up well to multiple steeps that’s a lot of tea! I was continuously surprised that each additional steep brought out new dimensions and joy.

Now I know what all the hype is about!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Glad you enjoyed this! :)

MzPriss

I’m drinking some RIGHT now and I <3 it. Welcome to the GO addiction.

Another sample from the nice Cameron B. It smells so much like malted chocolate. There is a bit of yam and maybe honey, but mostly cocoa. That comes out very in the flavour as well. Most delicious and smooth.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Honey, Malt

Cameron B.

Yum, just had a cup of this this morning, with maple sugar! :P

TheTeaFairy

Every time I read about this one, I go fix myself a cup!

Lariel

You’re welcome. Where do you get maple sugar?

TheTeaFairy

Lol, this question makes me laugh cause I live in the land of maple, so for me it’s pretty much everywhere and anywhere…Curious about cameron’s answer. Is it 100% maple sugar? I know they make a lot a maple stuff that has only a small quantity of actual maple…

boychik

i use only 100% maple syrup.

Lariel

It’s hard to find true maple products in California. Though I did try some really candies when I was in British Columbia.

Stephanie

Boychik have you ever had grade B syrup? I have a place I order it from semi local (the do ship countrywide) and it is wonderful. The maple flavor is more concentrated and it is much darker. The grading system is just about translucency. Anyway, I need to get more of this tea. So good.

Frolic

I’m in California and have gotten it at trader joes before.

TheTeaFairy

Stephanie, I’m so glad you noticed that…my grand father had a sugar shack and we could not wait to get our hands on the darker stuff. Here, most people prefer the medium grade. Clear grade is more “commercial” and looks more golden and appealing I guess. But medium or dark are so much more flavourful!!

Cameron B.

Lariel and TeaFairy, I don’t know if it was 100% maple sugar, I used the last piece and threw away the packaging! As for the where, I got it at the Chicago airport. :P

Stephanie

People don’t know what they’re missing, for reals :)

Stephanie

I want a sugar shack. Dang that sounds awesome.

Lariel

Haven’t seen maple sugar at my Trader Joe’s, will look again.

boychik

Stephanie, grade B is my fav. its dark and more flavorful.

YAY high fives boychik :D

I finished the last of my 1 oz of this tea today during an extremely rare summer thunderstorm. This tea was not what I thought it would be initially. It is best cool. Dry, it has strong tobacco and carob notes, its a mix of gold and brown leaves that is quite pleasant to look at and smell. I tried brewing it various ways but settled on 2tsp. I get 1 decent resteep out of the leaves this way. The tea when hot has a faint whiff of chocolate the taste is like the hot carob we had at camp with a little smoke and perhaps some pine and sweetness which must be what the vanilla is contributing, it is dense like coffee and I think this would be a good coffee drinker’s tea. As it cools (and the batch I cold brewed) I get some scent but no taste of vanilla perhaps masked in the strong carob. The second steep is not as coffee like, the sweetness is gone but there’s more tobacco and carob taste. I tried adding avocado honey to this cup and the molasses like sweetness really compliments it.