Fujian Xiao Zhong, Vanilla Bean, Yunnan Dian Hong
Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Vanilla, Floral, Baked Bread, Drying, White Grapes, Bitter, Caramel, Nutty, Plums, Sweet, Smooth, Dark Wood, Chocolate, Earth, Brown Toast, Creamy, Cream, Graham, Stonefruits, Toasted Rice, Peat, Fruity, Dark Chocolate, Cherry, Pepper, Apricot, Graham Cracker
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

5 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Pure decadence, this black tea blend is packed full of deep creamy cocoa notes! My goal for this tea was to bring the ice cream shop on Mackinac Island into your cup! I began with North Winds – our black tea with dessert notes inspired by the island’s famous fudge. The next step was to seek out the highest quality vanilla beans in the world, hand chop them and blend them into the base tea. Blended with a careful hand and the utmost respect for letting all of the flavors shine, this tea exceeds all expectations!

Golden Orchid carries a rich and exceedingly smooth body with a perfectly balanced flavor profile. Unlike many other vanilla black teas, our base tea shines through the vanilla, creating a mouthwatering synthesis of bold and smooth dessert notes. While the vanilla is noticible by the trained palette, it does more than just add the depth of vanilla notes. Our premium (grade A) vanilla beans sourced from the island of Madagascar accentuate the deep fudge and cocoa notes of the base tea as well as add a thick creamy aspect to the tea, reminiscent of masterfully-crafted dark chocolate. The fruity notes of the tea are ever present, too, with light notes of plum and a mouthwatering layer of dark-chocolate covered Michigan cherries! This tea extends far past the last drop, with the flavor of melted chocolate and sweet vanilla lingering for hours. We recommend enjoying Golden Orchid with shortbread cookies or breakfast pastry’s for the ultimate experience. Click here for our gluten-free shortbread recipe!

Over time, the tea will absorb the vanilla notes and smooth out. We recommend drinking this tea once or twice a week to taste the way it transforms over time. Also note that mixing up the tea prior to scooping out your desired amount of leaf is recommended due to the tendency of the vanilla beans to sink to the bottom of the bag. Enjoy!

Notes
Fudge
Dark Chocolate
Dried Cherries
Vanilla
Pluot
Honey
Malt

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

Black Tea (Yunnan Dian Hong, Fujian Black Tea)
Organic Vanilla Beans

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware…you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets.

Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla beans. The level of depth and richness in this is beyond words…but I tried :)

Notes

Looking Forward to it :)

TheTeaFairy

Can’t.wait.for.this.to.be.in.my.cupboard.

Ost

That just sounds amazing…ugh..need to wait to buy it though. >

Veronica

It sounds fantastic!

MzPriss

Ive already ordered mine…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Everyone that has ordered Port or Golden Orchid and has NOT received a shipping confirmation email yet will be receiving their teas with the new vanilla! :)

Memily

I just went to add this to my wish list and it was already on there. GIMME.

Cavocorax

I’m so glad I ordered 2 oz! I just had a sample before. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:D so excited to hear what people think about it with the new vanilla! I think theres a HUGE difference!

I absolutely love Brendan’s North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation.
Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of North Winds you will prolly like this one alot too.
The Vanilla in this one is just amazing, it is the perfect compliment to the dark chocolate and malty notes that this tea carries, it makes for a very smooth creamy sweet delight.
Brenden mentions an Ice Cream shop on Mackinac Island in his description on this one, tho I have never been in that particular shop, I have to say that he hit the mark with that statement.
When you walk into an Ice Cream Shop and you get a whiff of the Vanilla ice cream they are making in the back combined with the sweet scents that you get from the other ice creams and candies, you can very easily compare that to the aromas that you get from this one. That is a very comforting and welcoming aroma that just makes you feel good.
The taste OMG totally matches the aroma, what you smell is what you actually taste and that is a wonderful thing that don’t happen often enough.
As I’m writing this I’m sipping and trying to think of more write but alls i can think is “oh Vanilla, you are so good to me”
It’s amazing how good the Vanilla in this tea is, this is no nasty vanilla flavoring that leaves a funky film in your mouth, it is real and clean and creamy sweet goodness that you only get from real Vanilla Beans.
I can’t say enough good things about this one, it is delicious to me just like Brenden’s other blends I just can’t get enough.

Oh Yeah, after the tea is steeped out the Vanilla keeps going, very interesting and very good :)

I’ll be order lots of this one for as long as it is available :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Oh Yeah, Also check out Brendan’s Port Tea also, another Whispering Pines Teas with more Vanilla goodness.

Kirkoneill1988

im going to try some someday

QueenOfTarts

This sounds so tasty!

This is a good tea but not worth the price tag. I’ve had many yunnans for half this price that were comparable or even better.

I spent almost 3 hours last night scrolling through the reviews of this tea. It was like I was mesmerized by how many fantastic reviews there are…That’s why I can’t forget to take my adderall haha. I went to go order some of this tea and…….they are out of stock. I’m practically in tears now. Oh well guess i’ll just have to wait to try this one

I got this from my sister couple months ago and finally made a cup last Thursday. This tea has a vanilla scent that’s very pleasant to smell but not too apparent when you sip on it. I like the tea base they use. It seems like some Jin Jun Mei (a Fujian black tea) or a golden tip Xiao Zhong to me. Malty and cocoa like. Goes pretty well with milk and sugar

Flavors: Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Vanilla

Drinking my last session of this currently. It’s always a delight. Creamy vanilla with a malty base. Just perfection

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Really hoping this upcoming spring harvest is good enough to bring this blend back!

mtchyg

As do I! Out of curiosity, was 2015 a poor harvest for this tea? If so, what reasons made it poor? Or, what kind of conditions are needed to make it a good harvest. Generally speaking. I’m sure these questions could be turned into a semester long masters course haha.

Thank you. First review on this website!! Hope I’m doing it right. I tried this because it’s number one and two other tea

Flavors: Floral

Thank you Nichole for this one!

This is the highest rated tea on steepster as of now, but I’m not quite sure about it. I see why people enjoy this one: it tastes like Mackinac Island fudge with a thick malt, smothering over chocolate and vanilla. First time, I used half a tablespoon in about seven to eight ounces. I do get the chocolate and vanilla notes, but they are overwhelmed by the malt for me western after three minutes. I did it again after five, then eight minutes and I got a full vanilla fudge feeling at around 175 to 180 degrees in the second steep. Unfortunately, that disappeared into the malt. I tried to steep it for less time and less leaves, at about a teaspoon in four ounces. I tried it after a minute and twenty seconds, and I taste the vanilla more with a little bit of the breadish base, but the other natural notes of the tea being jumbled. I added about another minute, and again, fudge. Second steep, a changing flux of the vanilla and the malt and the chocolate, one overwhelming the other. Third, still a little too light, but less vanilla, and more of a light malt, perhaps white grape.

I had fairly high expectations for this one and I didn’t because this is a slightly older sample. I’ve also had North Winds which is a really complex black tea, one that really had to grow on me before I absolutely enjoyed it. I also had to use more leaves to get the full profile on it, and though I said in the review of that one that it needs something else like vanilla, I’m not sure if the vanilla fits because it kept on getting confused in the cup. Maybe the inconsistency is because the vanilla weakens with age, but the black tea should still be fine.

I tried it again today on the 25th with a teaspoon, and let it steep for about four minutes in five ounces. I made it significantly lighter than before and I was then able to taste more of the flavor. It was now a balanced fudge. I liked it more this time, but again, the same flavors but more evenly paced-still too drying.

I do like this tea, but it’s not the best I’ve had. Oddly enough, I preferred the North Winds in Gongfu because I got more flavors that were balanced-this was confused under malt. Hopefully this review isn’t obstructed by age (I think it’s from this year). I also think that it’s an issue of preference…I’m not a huge of a fan of vanilla chocolate fudge. I’m the one that opts out for fudges like chocolate walnut, orange, white chocolate, pistachio, amaretto, chocolate cherry. More than likely, I would probably like the Cocoa Amore more because it has an Ailaoshan base, giving cherry to compliment the vanilla and cocoa….darn it being more expensive.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Drying, Malt, Vanilla, White Grapes

Nichole

You are very welcome my dear!

Oh man! This smells so sweet and gorgeous right out of the bag!

This smells a bit darker than I expected – heavier on the caramel and nuts, and lighter on the sweetness. My first sips match the scent, with a bit of plum added in. The more I drink, the more sweetness I get, along with a touch of bitterness, bridged with maltiness.

I like this tea, but I got thrown off a bit by the plum flavor.

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Malt, Nutty, Plums, Sweet