What the fuck is up with DT lately? I could be wrong or overreacting, but it seems like they keep pulling their white blends and discontinuing them! I know they’ve now discontinued Checkmate (thankfully I have a sample of it still I can try), and their Jasmine Silver Needles, and now this one isn’t listed on the site any more either. I seriously hope this one isn’t going away because I really enjoy it and their white tea selection is becoming increasingly small. Boo.

Step your shit up DT: I mean, half if not more of the white blends still listed on the site aren’t even straight up white blends – they’re white/greens.

Anyway, I cold brewed this for a total of 19 hours. I’ve been a little sloppy with my most recent cold brews since they’ve been left for a long period of time. In fact, the one currently in the fridge that I’ve yet to strain has been there for over 24 hours. Oops.

This was really good though; very strawberry in a more tangy and natural/realistic way. My observation with this tea thus far that depending on how and how long it’s steeped it really has two very distinct flavours which are this way which is like tangy and sweet actual strawberries and then the other which is more like strawberry gummy candy.

I really like it both ways.

Hello.Kiki

How long do you normally cold brew your white teas?

Roswell Strange

Usually under 10 hours; seven seems to be about average. I forgot I was cold brewing this one, though.

tigress_al

I didn’t know checkmate was discontinued :(
I agree with you about stepping up their game in the whites though!

Hello.Kiki

I tend to forget about my cold brews as well. oops. I need to start putting reminders on my fridge!

Comments

Hello.Kiki

How long do you normally cold brew your white teas?

Roswell Strange

tigress_al

I didn’t know checkmate was discontinued :(
I agree with you about stepping up their game in the whites though!

Hello.Kiki

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada