Recently, I bought 50g of this which I’m splitting 50/50 with VariaTEA – I hadn’t tried it before, but she said I’d like it so I took the plunge since it was pretty affordable, and I’m not going to be stuck with a ton if I don’t.

At Tea Desire, in store, when you smell the teas they use this elaborate fan set up to waft the smell towards you (instead of smelling directly like you can at a DAVIDsTEA) – because of this, the scents usually aren’t so strong – so when I get an overwhelming smell of one of the teas, that’s typically a good indicator for me. This was one of those blends that just smelled intensely good; pure walnuts! And you’d hope so, right? The dry leaf is LITTERED with giant, whole walnut halves.

Now that it’s steeped up; it smells really nice – definitely walnut, maybe kind of “maple” like, and with aspects of something chocolatey. Even though none of those things are inherently related to it, I’m kind of reminded of Christmas. Hmmm…

Now that I’m drinking it; it is really good! VariaTEA knows my tastes so well; this really does perfectly capture the flavour of walnuts. Though is there really no chocolate in this? It’s not in the ingredients list, but man is it in the flavour. How peculiar. It almost reminds me of Tea Desire’s Oreo Cookie – but I think this is better. Also, echoing my ingredient confusion; there’s apple in this!? Totally doesn’t come through in the taste. Oh well; the walnut shines marvelously, and that’s really all that matters, right?

This is much better than the Walnut Orange I have from Tea Desire (which is what I was hoping); that blends captures the flavour of Walnut brilliantly too, but the orange completely and utterly detracts from it.

And now, I think I’m going to have a Vince Vaughn “Mini Marathon” and watch The Internship and Delivery Man – I’ve been dying to see them both for ages now.

Flavors: Chocolate, Nuts

VariaTEA

YAY!! I am glad you liked it. It is pretty tasty and I definitely got chocolate as well.

Comments

VariaTEA

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada