Pineapple Bacon Rooibos

Rooibos Tea
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

3 Images

• “I am finally trying this sample sent to me from Dexter3657. This is definitely a strange combination to consider drinking but I suppose it is worth a try. It has only taken me a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2759 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown. I had this from Dexter3657 a while back and finished it today. Not because she sent me so much but I didn’t care for the first cup and then I took the left of the...” Read full tasting note
    Littleelle 283 tasting notes
  • “I could do without this in my life. Tastes and smells a bit like bubblegum. Salty, smokey bacon pops into the finish and aftertaste, but the cup has more of a candied citrus thing going for it. Not...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 622 tasting notes
  • “Ok so after a lot of messing around with this tea I think I can rate it. When I first saw this I was pretty much like, “PINAPPLE AND Read full tasting note
    Ze_Tea4 123 tasting notes

From 52teas

This tea was reblended by request from one of our start-up Kickstarter contributors. I started with organic red rooibos and added bacon and pineapple flavors. I also added freeze-dried pineapple bits and vegan bacon bits – this blend is 100% vegan but I can’t be 100% certain that it’s 100% gluten-free. I’m not sure if the vegan bacon bits are gluten-free and the packaging didn’t assist me in finding out. The company that I ordered them from wasn’t any more helpful. (Sorry!) So if you’re one who needs to avoid gluten, I wouldn’t recommend this tea. I do take very special care to avoid cross-contamination – so the other teas are fine – but this tea, I’m not 100% sure of it’s gluten-free-ness.

The original description of this tea goes like this:

Did you think we were done playing with bacon teas?

So did I. But check this out: I was thinking about how much I enjoy a Hawaiian pizza or just a nice ham with a pineapple glaze and nice juicy pineapple rings baked on it… My wife is of the opinion that meat and fruit should not be mixed, but… well, nobody’s perfect, right? Anyway, I was thinking that if ham and pineapple is good, pineapple and BACON would be even better. And when I was thinking about what base tea to use, it occured to me that the woodiness that I personally somewhat dislike about rooibos might go well with pineapple and bacon, and oh boy does it! Juicy pineapple, salty bacon and refreshing rooibos are an amazing combination. Not to mention that it’s a guilt-free indulgence.

I stuck pretty close to the recipe for this blend. After reading my review of the original blend – read it here – I seem to recall the original blend tasting a bit too sweet, kinda like pineapple bubblegum with bacon flavoring which is just a little bit weird. Fortunately, I’m not really tasting that now which I’m grateful for. I taste pineapple – it’s the strongest flavor component and I taste bacon. The bacon flavoring does lend a certain ‘salty’ factor to this blend but you might want to add just a teeny pinch of salt to the cup to enhance that salty bacon flavor. But I don’t taste “bubblegum” or that sweet, sugary note that a ‘bubblegum’ description would seem to imply.

I am enjoying the balance of flavors better here than I think I did with the original blend – so overall, it’s a win for me. And hopefully our contributor enjoys it too and it’s a win for her!

organic ingredients: rooibos, freeze-dried pineapple, vegan bacon bits and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

Bleechhhhhhhh gross. This one smelled awful while being brewed up, and I only managed a single teensy sip (was gross), before it ended up down the drain. I don’t know… I’m thinking bacon in teas may not be for me, and pineapple can be pretty hit or miss. Combine with rooibos, and…. yeah no.

Thanks for passing some on, Roswell Strange!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stoo

Wow. That sounds like Nightmare On Tea Street!

Kittenna

Hahahaha.

TTB Tea 4: I’m really glad I got the opportunity to try this tea! It’s a unique experience. However, I very much did not like the flavor.

Dry, it had a rooibos smell mixed with an oddly sweet scent that did not smell like pineapple. Steeped, lots of rooibos! It has a weird rooibos and bubblegum flavor. I can’t say I got any pineapple or bacon out of it unfortunately, though I tasted a not-sweet flavor that I’m guessing was intended to be the bacon.

Something I would just like to note: I intended to let this steep for about five minutes. However, I’m at work and got distracted. This may have steeped for ten or more minutes, so take my review with a grain of salt!

Boiling 8 min or more