Milk Caramel

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Anna

• “The scent of the dry leaves is amazing! I can really smell the _creaminess_ of the caramel. It reminds me very much of the popular caramel spread from Argentina called "dulce de leche". The tea...” Read full tasting note
    StephL535 314 tasting notes
  • “Oh...my...goodness this is good. Yummy. This tea is a must try for those who love caramel. The toasty flavor of the houjicha is a brilliant pairing with the caramel flavor, giving it a roasty...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4303 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Doulton for passing this tea onto me. It was delicious, not sure if it was a true caramel flavor but there was a sweet roasted flavor that was very enjoyable. It is a sophisticated...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 429 tasting notes
  • “This tea smells creamy, buttery, green, toasty and earthy all at once. I'm really looking forward to sipping! The scent smells so rich that it has me expecting a really thick or full mouthfeel....” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 512 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Sweet aroma of milk caramel brings out the comforting aroma of houjicha.

(French Lupicia: Caramel au lait.)

About Lupicia View company

Thank you Kat_Maria for sharing this with me. Surprisingly, I am not loving it. I mean, Milk Caramel sounds AMAZING but is really just okay. To be honest, I am actually thankful to have found a Lupicia blend that is mediocre because I don’t think my wallet could handle it if they were all amazing!!

I realized I said nothing about this tea. Whoops, fail. It is essentially a very mellow hojicha with a buttery smooth caramel flavor. Also, it is getting better as it cools, though I still feel as though something is missing. Perhaps it is because hojicha is roasty, thus reminiscent of a genmaicha, and the caramel flavor is making me want Japon. Not bad, but not amazing either.

and the Lupicia obsession is continuing…

I’ve always liked hojicha for its natural roasted type flavor. I think this is the first time I have tried a flavored hoji.

I used boiling water and steeped this for two minutes. The natural roastyness of the hoji is definitely there and I am getting sweet caramel notes too. The element they call “milk” is a bit more like “cream” in my opinion. I am drinking mine more as a latte with a generous portion of soymilk added. Once again I made a total mess with the milk frother but that’s ok. :)

This is a nice option for afternoon/evening because it’s lower in caffeine than a regular green tea. I think the flavoring in this is fairly subtle which is ok with me. It seems well done for a dessert tea but I would not say I am raving over it.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Dexter

Lupicia has a caramel flavored hojicha? Be still my beating heart…..

TeaBrat

lol – if you want to swap let me know, I’ll send you some :)

Dexter

What I would like to do is crawl into your tea cupboard and not come up for air for about a month :)) I am not worthy….

Kat_Maria

I gotta try it with almond milk next time :)

Backlog from last night.

I had been really curious about this houjicha, especially after I smelled it. Because it smells exactly like a milk caramel – with this sharp lactose sweetness. Kind of like Werther’s Original ;D I am always really excited about houjichas as well. They just seem so unique.

The prepared steep didn’t offer much flavor in the caramel department, however. It was sure an excellent houjicha and if you focused enough and closed your eyes, you could perhaps sense some milk caramel notes in it. But I must admit that I expected slightly more pronounced flavoring, especially that, as I was drinking it, I could have easily imagined how well houjicha would go with caramel notes.

The second steep was stronger on the roastiness and perhaps revealed an itty-bitty more of milk caramel sweetness. But then, again, maybe I was just imagining it.

It’s a very good tea, just not necessarily what it promises.

VariaTEA

Oh no. Hopefully you can find a way to bring out the caramel notes.

Kat_Maria

Maybe I’ll try to steep it a bit longer at boiling temperature. I sure have plenty enough to experiment with it! :)

TeaBrat

Ha, I bought this one today but haven’t tried it yet. Just noticed the package says you can use boiling water.

A new tea to try, and did I pay proper attention to steep time or temp? No! I was useless in the proper study of this tea.
I am not sure how much caramel I’m getting out of this. I do get a sweet and creamy cup of green tea, with roasty toasty undertones, but not so much caramel.
Still, this will be an enjoyable pot this afternoon.

This is really nice! Warm and toasty, and the caramel flavor is just subtle enough that it doesn’t overpower. There’s a nutty-ness to the taste. I had some of it unsweetened, and it was nice, but with a little bit of milk and sugar, the caramel comes out more and it’s super creamy and dessert-like. A nice pick-me-up drink. I’ve never really tried houjicha before and wasn’t sure what I would think of it, but this is fantastic.

I love caramel, but this tea really doesn’t work for me. Hojicha plus caramel is a weird combination of roasted and buttery tastes. I’ve tried it both with and without milk and there’s something strange about the creaminess of caramel combined with the more “green” and warm roasted flavour of the tea. They just don’t go together well, in my opinion, and the result is a thin-tasting liquid. I don’t think I’ll finish the packet.