Milk Caramel

Green Tea
Caramel, Cream, Roasted, Sweet, Nutty
Edit tea info Last updated by cookies

• “The scent of the dry leaves is amazing! I can really smell the _creaminess_ of the caramel. It reminds me very much of the popular caramel spread from Argentina called "dulce de leche". The tea...” Read full tasting note
    StephL535 314 tasting notes
  • “Oh...my...goodness this is good. Yummy. This tea is a must try for those who love caramel. The toasty flavor of the houjicha is a brilliant pairing with the caramel flavor, giving it a roasty...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4461 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Doulton for passing this tea onto me. It was delicious, not sure if it was a true caramel flavor but there was a sweet roasted flavor that was very enjoyable. It is a sophisticated...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 432 tasting notes
  • “This tea smells creamy, buttery, green, toasty and earthy all at once. I'm really looking forward to sipping! The scent smells so rich that it has me expecting a really thick or full mouthfeel....” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 541 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Sweet aroma of milk caramel brings out the comforting aroma of houjicha.

Ingredients: Roasted Green Tea, Almond Flavoring. Contains: Almonds.

(French Lupicia: Caramel au lait.)

About Lupicia View company

Of course, when planning a DavidsTea lunch stop, one must also stop by Lupicia. :)

I really wanted to pick up some momo oolong, but they’re still out, and for some reason I got it in my head that I wanted to try the melon oolong (probably steepster’s doing!), but I also saw this tea, remembered something vaguely positive on steepster, and bought it. Heehee!

I really enjoy toasty teas, including genmaicha and roasty oolongs, but I only had houjicha once, and I think it was before I really could appreciate it. This tea totally delivers. It’s sweet, like burnt sugar, and toasty, like a roasted oolong. It actually reminds me of Della Terra’s caramel oolong, which I quite enjoy. And it’s cheaper! Score!! Now, it’s not like an ooey-gooey caramel, so don’t expect that and you’ll be fine. I didn’t add anything, although I think it might be interesting to see what a splash of almond milk might do. I am currently enjoying the second steep, and I’m happy to say it’s resteepable. Nice!

whatshesaid

This one is on my “buy tea and get it shipped to my American relatives so they can bring it to me this summer when they visit” list! :)

This is fantastic. LOVE IT. Toasty, roasty, caramel, desserty, yummy, oooyyy – goooy good.

Thank you so much ifjuly for sending a sample of this my way.

Amariel

This one is on my wishlist, though I have a caramel houjicha from Bird Pick, so I’m curious how they compare.

Dexter

Amariel I can send you some and anything else that you might want to try from my cupboard….

Amariel

Thanks! I replied to your PM!

I over-steeped it this time, but it’s still rather good. It’s very roasty and sweet and creamy, and I can definitely tell it’s a green houjicha tea. I like it. I don’t know if I’d drink 50g of it, but I do like it when I’m in the mood for it!

Thanks Kat_Maria! (179)

Amariel

I wonder how this compares to my caramel houjicha from Bird Pick.

Cavocorax

I’m not sure? I don’t think I’ve had any other caramel houjicha.

Amariel

I didn’t give you any at the swap? I thought I gave everyone some. Maybe I didn’t?

Cavocorax

You might have? Ican’t find a note for it though. :| Sorry!

Amariel

It’s ok. I’m sorry if I missed you!

This is interesting – I bought this with very low expectations, as it sounds so generic – I mean, caramel this or caramel that seems to be in everything – it’s hardly a novelty.

Then again, it’s Lupicia, so I absolutely had to try it.

In the bag, this is a boozefest – a very liqueurey caramel, which really does veer far closer to hazelnut. I think this would have been the potentially fatal flaw of this tea – the blend of sweet, thick dulce de leche caramel and the roasty houjicha adds up to something very close to hazelnut/walnut/whatevernut tea, as it is generally presented in much lesser (yes, I mean German) blends.

But even though the flavour is very familiar, Lupicia take it to another level entirely. This is what really does it for me with their teas – they never feel disgusting or wrong in any way. I have never had a green anynut-flavoured tea that didn’t make my throat slightly itchy as the liquid cooled, or that wasn’t thick and oily from the leaf. But this one? No – every sip is clean and smooth, all toasted nut caramel. Even cold, the dregs of this are beautiful. I’d latte the fuck out of this one if I could.

I don’t want any of the other nut teas anymore (coconut, you are exempt and may go back to your seat) because this is all I’m going to need. (And I haven’t felt like that about anything since, say, February 2012 or so.)

[From my Lupicia order to Rome, April 2014.]

VariaTEA

Anna, we are tea twins today!!!

CHAroma

Mmmm, reading your review reminded me how much I love this tea even though I haven’t tasted it in years. I need to pick some up!

want

Anna

VariaTEA – yes! And now I REALLY REALLY have to try Japon even more, haha.

CHAroma – have you had it with milk? Was it good?

Siller – add it to the swaplist, then. Type type! Swift pawfeets!

swap list! oh noes..my hairs, they were slacking…

VariaTEA

I am always happy to share some Japon :)

Anna

Sil – Siller Slackerhairs.

VariaTEA – Aww, that’s so sweet of you. Well, it certainly doesn’t seem like I’ll be getting it any other way (SIDE-EYE LAURENT) so let’s consider a swap, maybe? =)

VariaTEA

Haha I think we decided like a month ago to swap and nothing ever came of it :P. This time, we must be proactive

Anna

Oh, the SWAMP that is my inbox. I really must try to go through it some day, but all those nice messages! I love them! Nooooo.

Do you remember what we talked about swapping then?

CHAroma

The last time I tried this tea was back in 2010 before I found Steepster. I believe I drank it straight with no additions.

Anna

Oh, it’s definitely time to get some more and see if your palate changed! Always scary, but interesting.

VariaTEA

I have no idea. I just remember we decided in the comments of another tasting note and then nothing ever happened. Haha. C’est la vie.

Anna

Haha, yeah – but let’s make it happen. I’ll come find you after my deadlines.

1980 tasting notes

Thank you Kat_Maria for sharing this with me. Surprisingly, I am not loving it. I mean, Milk Caramel sounds AMAZING but is really just okay. To be honest, I am actually thankful to have found a Lupicia blend that is mediocre because I don’t think my wallet could handle it if they were all amazing!!

I realized I said nothing about this tea. Whoops, fail. It is essentially a very mellow hojicha with a buttery smooth caramel flavor. Also, it is getting better as it cools, though I still feel as though something is missing. Perhaps it is because hojicha is roasty, thus reminiscent of a genmaicha, and the caramel flavor is making me want Japon. Not bad, but not amazing either.

and the Lupicia obsession is continuing…

I’ve always liked hojicha for its natural roasted type flavor. I think this is the first time I have tried a flavored hoji.

I used boiling water and steeped this for two minutes. The natural roastyness of the hoji is definitely there and I am getting sweet caramel notes too. The element they call “milk” is a bit more like “cream” in my opinion. I am drinking mine more as a latte with a generous portion of soymilk added. Once again I made a total mess with the milk frother but that’s ok. :)

This is a nice option for afternoon/evening because it’s lower in caffeine than a regular green tea. I think the flavoring in this is fairly subtle which is ok with me. It seems well done for a dessert tea but I would not say I am raving over it.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Dexter

Lupicia has a caramel flavored hojicha? Be still my beating heart…..

TeaBrat

lol – if you want to swap let me know, I’ll send you some :)

Dexter

What I would like to do is crawl into your tea cupboard and not come up for air for about a month :)) I am not worthy….

Kat_Maria

I gotta try it with almond milk next time :)

Backlog from last night.

I had been really curious about this houjicha, especially after I smelled it. Because it smells exactly like a milk caramel – with this sharp lactose sweetness. Kind of like Werther’s Original ;D I am always really excited about houjichas as well. They just seem so unique.

The prepared steep didn’t offer much flavor in the caramel department, however. It was sure an excellent houjicha and if you focused enough and closed your eyes, you could perhaps sense some milk caramel notes in it. But I must admit that I expected slightly more pronounced flavoring, especially that, as I was drinking it, I could have easily imagined how well houjicha would go with caramel notes.

The second steep was stronger on the roastiness and perhaps revealed an itty-bitty more of milk caramel sweetness. But then, again, maybe I was just imagining it.

It’s a very good tea, just not necessarily what it promises.

VariaTEA

Oh no. Hopefully you can find a way to bring out the caramel notes.

Kat_Maria

Maybe I’ll try to steep it a bit longer at boiling temperature. I sure have plenty enough to experiment with it! :)

TeaBrat

Ha, I bought this one today but haven’t tried it yet. Just noticed the package says you can use boiling water.

A new tea to try, and did I pay proper attention to steep time or temp? No! I was useless in the proper study of this tea.
I am not sure how much caramel I’m getting out of this. I do get a sweet and creamy cup of green tea, with roasty toasty undertones, but not so much caramel.
Still, this will be an enjoyable pot this afternoon.

This is really nice! Warm and toasty, and the caramel flavor is just subtle enough that it doesn’t overpower. There’s a nutty-ness to the taste. I had some of it unsweetened, and it was nice, but with a little bit of milk and sugar, the caramel comes out more and it’s super creamy and dessert-like. A nice pick-me-up drink. I’ve never really tried houjicha before and wasn’t sure what I would think of it, but this is fantastic.

I love caramel, but this tea really doesn’t work for me. Hojicha plus caramel is a weird combination of roasted and buttery tastes. I’ve tried it both with and without milk and there’s something strange about the creaminess of caramel combined with the more “green” and warm roasted flavour of the tea. They just don’t go together well, in my opinion, and the result is a thin-tasting liquid. I don’t think I’ll finish the packet.