Apple Cinnamon Coffeecake

Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 11 oz / 315 ml

• “Apparently I don't have too much of this one left! Which is ok only because I have too many other teas :D Anyhow, into the travel mug it went, and it was oh-so-tasty. I had somehow forgotten about...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “I am not getting what I want out of this tea. It smells very nice, but it doesnt brew up to what I think it will. I think I was expecting pie, even though this is supposed to be cake flavored. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 834 tasting notes
  • “Oooh i like this one :) Again, i either went in on it with Kittenna or she gave me a taste. Either way thanks to *Kittenna* who arranged things! I REALLY am enjoying this one even if the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4738 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning here. the dry leaf smells so amazing and I had such high hopes for the tea itself. It isn't bad, it's just a lot lighter on flavor than I was expecting it to be. I am...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2310 tasting notes

From Simpson & Vail

A new addition to our flavored tea line and already a huge hit with all of us here! This slightly sweet, scrumptious blend has a lightly toasted flavor with the delicious taste of apples and cinnamon. Sipping this tea reminds me of the Sunday morning breakfast treats of my childhood. Now that I’m all grown up I could have those treats every day of the week; however, I think I’ll stick to this tea blend instead. It’s full of the sinful tastes of childhood but, with no calories, it suits my adult metabolism!

Ingredients: Black teas, organic cinnamon chips, apple pieces, orange blossoms and flavoring.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

About Simpson & Vail View company

Apparently I don’t have too much of this one left! Which is ok only because I have too many other teas :D Anyhow, into the travel mug it went, and it was oh-so-tasty. I had somehow forgotten about all my S&V teas when choosing flavoured blacks for the morning; I’ll have to migrate some into the “potential morning selections” bin :P

I am not getting what I want out of this tea. It smells very nice, but it doesnt brew up to what I think it will. I think I was expecting pie, even though this is supposed to be cake flavored. I’m not getting that either, actually.
I do taste apple, but its subtle, perhaps a little too subtle for me.

TeaBrat

I felt the same way about it, but oddly it seems to be growing on me…

Rosehips

I hope it will grow on me. We’ll see.

Oooh i like this one :) Again, i either went in on it with Kittenna or she gave me a taste. Either way thanks to Kittenna who arranged things!

I REALLY am enjoying this one even if the apple is totally subtle. It is totally tasty cake like and delicious. I let a friend try this without telling her what it was and she was like “caaaake!” I am for sure going to look to try more of the S&V teas – at the very least there are likely a few more dessert type teas that I want to try.

Edit: mmmm this resteeps really nicely!

gmathis

Apple teas, when they’re done properly, are soooo good!

Kittenna

This was a purchase, split between the three of us :)

Donna A

English Toffee Black and Pumpkin Pie Black are 2 more good ones from S&V.

Tea of the morning here.

the dry leaf smells so amazing and I had such high hopes for the tea itself.

It isn’t bad, it’s just a lot lighter on flavor than I was expecting it to be. I am definitely getting apple and cinnamon but nothing I would really recognize as cake. Better with sugar and soymilk added but not at the top of my favorite Simpson and Vail teas. It smells really good even when you’re drinking it, the taste doesn’t quite live up to the aroma.

Finally finished off my small bag of this. I made the Bean some apple cinnamon oatmeal this morning and didn’t want any for myself but was craving something similar. I made this with honey and cream. I kind of think all the S&V teas need it. If you’re drinking it straight, you can tweak the leaf and temp and duration, but it takes some work to get it just right. With cream and honey, you just let is sit till you remember that you’d made it. Enjoying this a lot. Probably won’t ever reorder, but would never turn it down if offered.

ETA: As with all S&V teas, once this one cooled it was delicious. It may go on the reorder list if I ever want to purchase something else from S&V.

Sipdown! Enjoyed two cups of this on friday, and then packaged the last up to send out in a swap. This is definitely my favourite of the teas I tried in my first Simpson and Vail order. It’s the only one that’s kept its flavour, at any rate. The rest just taste of paper now. I should have re-packaged them when they arrived, but I didn’t realise they’d deteriorate so rapidly. Still, lesson learned!

This tea is incredibly aromatic. I set it to brew in my Breville, and then left the room for a bit, and when I came back, the scent of apple cinnamon cake had filled the house! I could smell it not just in the kitchen, but in the living room, hallway and all the way into the bedroom!

And it tastes as good as it smells, with a good amount of apple flavor, just the right amount of cinnamon (not too much!) and even a buttery cake-y kind of taste in the background. The black tea is there too, not as strong as I guess it could be, but what I’m enjoying here is that the flavors are very unified. It is difficult to distinguish where one flavor stops and the others begin because it is so harmonious.

And incredibly delicious too. YUM!

Sipdown!! (175 – which means I am not allowed to get Adagio’s The Woman, as per my deal with Cavocorax :P)

Thank you for sharing this with me Scheherazade! I was actually very interested in trying this for a while. It was probably the most intriguing of all S&V teas to me. Consequently I am glad I got the opportunity to try it in a swap because it was disappointing to me. It is not a bad tea but it’s flavor is weak and I am definitely not getting any “coffeecake”. I think I agree with Courtney that this is similar enough to Brioche that I don’t need both in my life and Brioche is far superior. Nonetheless, I am very appreciative of the chance to try the tea.

Roswell Strange

Yay! I’m still at 210(ish) :/

VariaTEA

I had good motivation :P.

So, I have new teas to try, thanks to Courtney for sharing some of hers!

Because I was in need of some cake, chose this one after consultation with my husband, as he preferred this over anything carrot-like (which was the other choice).

Once brewed, this smells exactly like coffee cake – so fragrant and cozy. Taste-wise, this is also very much like coffeecake – sweet cinnamon crumb topping and apples, no tartness at all. Somehow this reminds me of davidstea pumpkin spice chai …almost like there is a squash in it, however odd that may sound, but this is less spicy and more dessert-like and delicious.

I really enjoyed this and even re-steeped the leaves for another tasty cup.
Thank you Courtney for sharing!

Courtney

My friend also likes to mix this with Brioche, though I think they’re too similar hah.

caile

Sounds yummy!

Yvonne

Oooh, this sounds amazing!

TeaBrat

This is good for breakfast :)

caile

I bet it would be! mmm coffeecake

Apples! cake! Oh my!
Yes this is quite delicious. And bakey. Just like coffee cake. No milk required! maybe a tiny bit of sugar. S&V seems to be really good at creating black tea blends that work well solo. Fingers crossed that it travels well.
Bah, either way I am impressed.
aaaand also a little overwhelmed. I picked up so much tea this weekend, that I have no idea how I’ll ever get through any of it. Upping my intake and a serious purge is in order.

Kittenna

Yeah, I gotta say that I liked the S&V teas. My notes are all back around Christmas, as I’ve only had one since then, but yeah. Plans to order again in the future.

Looking forward to trying these ones soooooooon!

Indigobloom

I’ll definitely order from them to, eventually. But after this current cupboard expansion, I think it will be about 6 months before I can justify that! lol

Sil, I think you’ll love them!! some really good teas here :)

Donna A

I have this and like it a lot. I have enjoyed all my flavored teas from Simpson and Vail, once I learned how to brew them to my taste. I can identify with your statement about feeling a little overwhelmed with so much tea!

Indigobloom

I think that’s the trick, learning how it needs to be brewed!

…to which i respond. and how does one brew these particular teas in such a way that makes them enjoyable? :)

Indigobloom

Not sure just yet, as I lost track of time brewing this… I need to try again! :)

Donna A

For the flavored blacks from Simpson and Vail that I have tried (Pumpkin Pie Black, Earl Grey, and Apple Cinnamon), I use 1 teaspoon/8 oz. for 2 min./50 seconds. This produces a flavorful cup without the bitterness that I have experienced at 3 minutes.

thanks Donna!

Indigobloom

I’ll def keep that in mind. Thanks!!