So Long, and Thanks for All the Licorice

Anise, Cinnamon, Fennel Seed, Jasmine, Licorice
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I’m not gonna write an actual review on this, because I haven’t drank the sample Stacy sent me yet, & also because I think Sasha should write the first review. Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3181 tasting notes
  • “I’m almost ready to break into another package of this tea! That’s exciting. :) I still love it. SO licoricey, no sweet aftertaste. THE Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1927 tasting notes
  • “mmmmm…another chai i figured i should try this morning since it’s a colder spring day today and i much prefer drinking chai when it’s cold. Let me first start off by saying that...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6481 tasting notes
  • “I haven’t had this one in a while, but decided to try it with a little bit of honey and coconut almond milk. It’s good, but I think I really need to try this one with real milk at...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

One of our customers, Sasha, challenged us to create a unique licorice masala chai custom blend. We ended up loving her blend so much, that we decided to offer it on our website. The name of this tea is a reference to one of the owner’s favorite authors, Douglas Adams. This soothing tea features licorice; however, the spice notes are also present and linger long after the sip and meld with the licorice notes. With each sip, the licorice and spice notes seem to become stronger yet they are not overly aggressive. While this tea is fantastic plain, this blend shines with a little rice milk and sugar. For a short interview with the brains behind this tea, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com/Custom.html

Ingredients: Organic Guranse (Nepalese Black Tea), Natural Super Concentrated Flavor Powder Licorice (Dextrose, Natural Flavors), Organic Cinnamon Chips, Organic Anise Star, Safflower, Organic Fennel, Organic Clove, Organic Nutmeg, Cardamom, Organic Natural Flavors (Blend is completely vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com/Black.html

About Butiki Teas View company

I made a pot of this before bed last night. This was really an excellent tea. The only disappointment was that the licorice flavor wasn’t quite as intense as the licorice smell. I will be reordering this one once I sipdown more teas in my cupboard.

Terri HarpLady

It’s been awhile since I had this one, & I miss it, along with BoxerMama, for whom it was originally made. She needs to come back to steepster!!

CharlotteZero

I didn’t know this was made for BoxerMama. When I returned to Steepster I was sad to see that she hadn’t been active in so long…

Terri HarpLady

We need to all gang up on her over on FB & tell her to come home! LOL

CharlotteZero

Haha. I don’t know her that well…It would be stalk-y. But not if you did it, Terri! :-D

And I will!

Butiki Teas

Here’s a short interview with her, if anyone wants to read about the process of how this tea was made: http://www.butikiteas.com/Custom.html.

CharlotteZero

Very cool. I really loved this tea, too!

Butiki Teas

Glad you love it CharlotteZero. We had fun making it! :)

Thanks to Stacy for sending me a free sample of this tea. I’ve had it for a while but forgot about it until now.

It seems like licorice is one of those things people either love or hate but I definitely belong in the love camp, at least with natural licorice flavor and not those nasty “Red Vines”.

I wouldn’t drink a chai plain but I sipped on this and it seems mild enough that you could drink it that way if you wanted to. I added about 1 tsp. of sugar to mine as well as one of those little creamer doo-dads from the office.

I’m wondering what this would have been like with an asssam tea base, because MAN the spices are strong! I actually love fennel but this is knocking my socks off. The star anise & cinnamon is also pretty strong here but I’m not picking up on the cardamom. It definitely lives up to its name, I’m just not sure I need anymore. I’m finding this to be a bit overpowering for me, it is pretty tasty though. I also love the fact that Stacy’s blends are all vegan.

My swap with OMGsrsly arrived today, much to my delight!

This was one of the wonderful teas she included, and one that I’ve been curious about for a while. I’m a fan both of Douglas Adams and licorice, so this had to be the first to try!

Opening it is like opening a bag of moist and chewy molasses-rich black licorice… but knowing the calories truly don’t count!

Once it’s steeped, the promise of the aroma does back off a little… maybe a slightly longer time or a little more of the dry blend will give my next cup a little bump. The licorice is still there, and even a slightly thick mouthfeel, but I can pick up a couple of the fainter supporting notes now.

As it is after midnight, I do wish it wasn’t caffeinated, but since I’m still on winter break I’ll just channel the caffeine into more costuming. I’m such a nerd. But off to reconstruct Viking clothing in period fabrics with period stitch types. Yay!

As for the tea, this little lovely is going on the shopping list.

OMGsrsly

Yay! This tea is seriously my favourite.

Despite being uncomfortable around licorice flavoured things, I opted to get a sample of this in my last order. It made up one fine mug of spiced chai with sweet licorice notes. My only complaint is that I drank it too quickly and now there’s no more.

I love the lingering aftertaste of sweet cloves, and I didn’t have a problem with the licorice, fennel, and anise (I think I may actually like anise). Not bad at all. Maybe I’ll pick up more as the weather continues to worsen.

Backlog:

Absolutely LOVE this. LOVE it. This is one of the very best black licorice-y tasting teas that I’ve tried yet, and I’m a huge fan of black licorice so when I find teas that are “black licorice-y” I usually MUST try them. This one is the best that I’ve tried. Have I mentioned that I love this tea yet?

A really good chai too, it was pleasantly spicy. The Guranse made a great base for the tea, rich and flavorful. Just … a really wonderful tea. REALLY good.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/07/30/so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-licorice-black-chai-blend-from-butiki-teas/

Mhmmm. Sweet licorice deliciousness!

This tea is a yummy treat. It reminds me of Good N Plenty’s, only a bit more natural tasting. It’s sweet, but not cloyingly so. There is also a nice spice to the licorice that comes through beautifully in the back of the sip. I’m also getting a grain-like taste – NOT texture! The texture is smooth. The grain-like taste accompanies an almost milky aspect. I’m getting some nice cinnamon notes in the middle of the sip, and there is a nice mild floral aspect that lingers on the back of the tongue.

Overall, I really enjoy this one. It makes a great dessert tea for those licorice lovers out there. I know I’m enjoying it this morning with my cinnamon streusel muffins. Perfect!

CharArray

I’ve been thinking about trying tea and after reading your review I’m definitely ordering it! :)

SO much licorice! It has taken me a while to get used to this tea. Today I’m enjoying it naked. The tea is naked, not me. As in I didn’t add anything to it. I have clothes on. Pajamas, but they still count!

There is so much licorice that my mouth tingles a little. I get the anise mostly, dominating the front of the sip. In the after taste I can pick out some clove, maybe some cardamon. I’m not going to be heartbroken that I can’t get anymore of this tea, but I’m sure going to enjoy the hell out of the rest that I have.

And it goes well with the New Year’s Day black eyed peas that I’m eating.
Happy New Years y’all!

P.S. I think Stacy’s closing thread should have had this tea somewhere in the title. Because I sometimes like cheesy puns.

Cheri

Today is definitely a pajamas day.

This one never really appealed to me, despite its high ratings, since I tend not to be a big fan of licorice in tea. But in Butiki’s closing frenzy, I thought I might as well snap up a packet before it disappeared forever, just to see what all the fuss was about. And I’m glad I did. Both dry and steeped, it smelled weirdly—though not unpleasantly—like root beer, though the flavor was more clove-y (though there’s definitely some root beer in the background). It’s a tiny bit astringent, though a splash of almond milk mellowed it out (and subdued the spices some). This is a really nice, unusual chai, and one I’m really glad to have been able to try.

First off – I LOVE this tea. I hate actual licorice but love all licorice flavoured things… candy…sambuca…. hahaha but I can’t eat actual licorice – figure that one out for me!
Anyways this smells AMAZING. I’d smell it all day if I could – unfortunately, I’m not getting as strong of an actual licorice taste from this – not that it isn’t there but I was sort of hoping it would… punch me in the face. (never thought I’d say that)
Added a bit of sugar to it and it brought out the flavour a bit more but I’m thinking if I let it cool off the licorice might taste a little stronger.
And for the price – this tea was such a good deal, I’m glad it came in 1oz sizes vs the 1/2 ounce.
I’ll definitley be hoarding this one for a while. Very good.
We’ve only had a fleeting relationship Butiki, but I hope it was as good for you as it was for me… ;) now, onto my other teas from this order!

rosebudmelissa

It might be because licorice is actually flavored with anise rather than licorice these days. I’m the opposite, I love black licorice and other things flavored with anise, but I can’t stand licorice in tea.

EmilyGee

Ahhh, that might be it! I never knew that, thanks!

rosebudmelissa

You’re welcome. I found it a very fascinating tidbit of information, so I thought I’d pass it on.

Finally digging into my Butiki samples that I got in a swap from… Janelle? a while back?

This is tasty – a nice, light chai with a good balance of cinnamon and anise/fennel flavours. None of that back of the throat, cloying sweetness of licorice root, which I’m quite happy for. There’s also a jasmine note that might be from contamination, though I washed my steeper out quite well.

Quite lovely.

Flavors: Anise, Cinnamon, Fennel Seed, Jasmine

OMGsrsly

The trick is there is NO licorice root in the tea! Makes me so happy. I have, umm, 8oz.