Chocolate Chili Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aleppo Chili, Ancho Chili, Black Tea, Chocolate, Lily Petals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Red Peppercorns
Chocolate, Peppercorn, Cream
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ashleeeyyy88

• “It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes
  • “This smells AWESOME!!!!! Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That's the aroma I am getting BUT it's certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn't quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I'm really in...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 682 tasting notes
  • “I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I'd spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals. The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1623 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Hot, hot, hot

Is winter giving you the shivers? Try this fiery southwest chai. A blend of black tea, chocolate and ancho and Aleppo chilis, it gives new meaning to the term “hot chocolate.” With its sweet, rich chocolate flavour and feisty finish, this bold blend is perfect base for the ultimate latte with a little frothed or steamed milk. If you really want to feel the heat, add a splash of cinnamon whisky. Arriba!

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, red peppercorns, lily petals, aleppo chili, ancho chili, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: Soy and dairy

About DAVIDsTEA View company

It’s only November and I’m already getting antsy for spring. The days seem so gray and dreary, and the nights are already so dark and cold. On the bright side, at least this cold weather is a perfect backdrop for a tea like this one.

I expected this one to be more of an in your face tea with the chili and the peppercorns, but it was surprisingly mellow. The ingredients complimented each other nicely. It was a fabulous first steep, but there was notable deterioration with each following steeping. It’s still a lovely seasonal treat, especially as an alternative to sugary hot chocolate or hot apple cider. This will certainly be a seasonal repurchase for me.

TheTeaFairy

Looove this one! but you’re right, no good for re-steeping…

Calla

I tried this one out last week , im not sure if I like it yet, the flavour is unique but not quite what I thought it would be. I like the chocolatey-ness of this one. Going to try another mug of this.

Helena

I tried this one ages ago and didn’t like it.

Nik

This is one of the ones I really want to include in my first DT order! And after reading your description (chili, peppercorns), I really want to mix it with the other DT’s (Della Terra’s) Mayan Mist blend, to get a chocolatey-orangey-spicy concoction. Mmmm…

canadianadia

This is one of those teas that I say “it’s good but…” Nik – I think you have the right idea with your intention to mix it with another tea. On it’s own it’s not bad, but it falls a little flat.

Kittenna

I got 50g of this last Christmas, and was thoroughly unimpressed. The only reason my bag is being depleted is because people keep requesting it in swaps! It’s just like Chocolate Orange/Oh Christmas Treat. Everyone is soooooo enamoured with it, but again, I got 50g of it, plus a couple smaller bags, and I haven’t drank it at all because although it smells amazing, the taste is not pleasant. And often fishy :(

Nik

Fishy?! GAH! [crinkly-nosed icky face]

canadianadia

Eww… I’m happy to say I didn’t experience any fishiness with this tea, blech that would be disgusting. I was more disappointed with it for it’s lack of the strength I associate with both Chili and Chai. I decided to try this tea again this morning, and I sighed a breath of relief when I didn’t taste fishiness – thank you taste buds :)

Kittenna

I meant that the Oh Christmas Treat was fishy. It’s a pu’erh, which can sometimes have a fishy taste/smell, and mine sadly does :( I think it’s variable between batches though, because not everyone seems to encounter it.

canadianadia

@Kittena – ahhh! that makes sense. I have yet to try a pu’erh, the descriptions of fishiness always scare me away.

Kittenna

It takes some getting used to…. I’m not over it yet. People say they shouldn’t be fishy, but I almost always get a hint of it (mostly just in aroma though).

This smells AWESOME!!!!!

Like if you were in a kitchen with Chocolate Cheesecake and peppers! That’s the aroma I am getting BUT it’s certainly MORE Chocolate than chili and I am VERY happy about that!

Intense CHOCOLATE Aroma!!!

One infused the chocolate aroma mellows out a little and the heat is ON.

As for the taste…WOW! It’s not fireball hot but there is a nice kick to it! As for the chocolate…YAY! This is done right! I am still getting a very nice cheese-cakey type taste to it and I LOVE IT.

It leaves a peppery-roasted aftertaste which is interesting but I like that too!

This exceeded my expectations by FAR!

This is FAR OUT!!!! YUM!

LENA

both a score of 98 and a “FAR OUT”?!? Wow. :)

Having a cup of this while in switchboard today. Unfortunately, today it isn’t quite what I wanted. The chocolate is still rich and bold, but I am not in the mood for that. I think I’m really in the mood (once again) for a lovely black tea with natural cocoa notes rather than a flavoured tea. I also desperately want to try the oolongs sent to me by MercuryHime (and the two I picked up at DT last night to go with them) but first I need to have time to sit down with my gaiwan (and the beau) to try them out. I am excited because I can use my tiny double walled glasses when the time comes!

Anyway, this tea. Getting dark chocolate, with a hint of sweetness (more on the end of the sip than the flavour). I am feeling a hint of chili burn on my lips, but it isn’t overly present in the taste. I do remember that coming out more as I got deeper in the cup last time though. Solid tea, just not to my tastes at the moment. If only I could afford to go home in the middle of the day for a couple hours and have lovely tea as I want it.

Indigobloom

the wrong tea at the right time is terrible! Some of my faves have to be consumed at just the right time… *sighs

Maxime-Daniel Friðrikson

I just want to try this one…

I totally meant to go to DavidsTea for Pom Power but before I made it out, I’d spent $20 and walked out with 7 other teas. I am so bad when it comes to deals.

The moral of this: GUYS! IF YOU WANT DT’s WINTER TEAS GET THEM NOW: 2- 25g bags for $5!

Really this was a terrible idea. I can’t even remember how excited I was about banana dream pie, and I bought two pouches. And do I really need more Cookie Dough?

When my bf saw my large blue bag he just asked, “So, how many teas are you at now?” Bahaha. He rocks.

Kittenna

Haha, good thing I didn’t like any of them enough to stock up :)

Cavocorax

I ended up buying a tin of the Cocomint Cream, but the rest weren’t as “necessary”. And if I have buyer’s remorse about these, maybe I can just offer them up as swaps?

Shmiracles

cocomint! yes!
idk why david’s bothers to have a ‘last chance’ section on their website if they are just gonna tease me with all of them being ‘out of stock’. pout.

I really like the “chili” aspect of this tea but i can do without the chocolate. I really don’t like the way that a lot of teas “chocolate” flavour tastes, and david’s tea is no exception. it was worth a taste at least!

ifjuly

which teas have a chocolate flavor you really dig? curious.

ifjuly

(oh and to clarify just in case, i don’t like this one either)

uh…i’ll get back to you on that one haha I can’t recall off the top of my head.

Cavocorax

Chocolate in tea is SO hard. :(

Dexter

(I like H&S chocolate – Florance and Soho…)

dexter – yeah H&S isn’t too bad. I also like butiki’s chocolate though she doesn’t have too many blends with chocolate.

Dexter

Verdant Laoshan Black Chocolate Genmaicha is another I like, more natural less fake chocolate.

oh for sure.. if you’re looking for “cocoa” rather than chocolate there are a number of options as well….

Amariel

I love this one, especially for the chocolate.

Free tea from DT! Much better than the times I made it myself, although admittedly both agave and milk were involved. Also, a shout-out to the barista (er?) who looks like Orlando Bloom at the Guelph DT who let me have the tea without the coupon, since I brilliantly locked myself out of my Facebook-linked email.

__Morgana__

Definite plus on the Orlando Bloom look alike. LOL

OMGsrsly

Free tea??

Amariel

They had an offer Thur/Fri on their page for a free TOTD from 1-6pm. I got it but didn’t care for any of the TOTD offerings (though I do like this one…it was not what I was wanting) for I never used it. I got some Berry Good instead.

This was free with a recent purchase when at the store. Since I couldn’t think of anything else I wanted to try and my spouse had sniffed this in the display by the cash register and pronounced it “good”, decided just to try this since it was free and I hadn’t had it before.

It smells quite nice and chocolatey but the flavor doesn’t quite seem to match. There is some chocolate and some heat from the peppers, but somehow there is something lacking. It is very similar to read my lips but the mint in that one seems to give it that little something extra that this doesn’t have. It is an OK tea but not my favorite. Better with cream or milk and when cools a bit.

Probably would be a good base for hot chocolate!

Fjellrev

The scent totally sucked me in too but was really disappointed in the flavour. Hope you can make the best out of the free tea, though!

caile

Yeah, glad it was free. I’m sure it won’t be too hard to use up.

Butter chicken and chai. Because I can!

I just picked this up a couple hours ago so it’s fresh out of the canister. The chocolate aroma immediately made me think of Read My Lips, so I figured I’d love this. At first I was kind of regretting getting only 10g.

That regret quickly diminished once I steeped this chai. Again, it smells like a mintless Read My Lips, which is nice and all, but where’s the spice? Even the peppercorns? I got maybe one or two in my packet. How can you even classify this as a chai (in the Masala chai sense)?

I get no heat from this whatever. If it were actually, simply RMP minus the mint I wouldn’t mind as much, as I enjoy the chocolate flavour in that, but it has that underlying artificial sweetness that a lot of other DT teas have.

Without additives, it’s a thin, faint chocolate black with that signature (I might as well use that term at this point) artificial sweetness.

With milk and brown sugar, it’s better. The soy milk lends the chocolate a hand, and at least the brown sugar covers up some of that artificial sweetness from the tea itself. Go figure.

Gabriela

I am surprised you didn’t get heat… I did with mine. It was awesome. I think this one is one on my favorites.

Lynne-tea

=) I had chicken vindaloo just the other night. Deeeelish!

Fjellrev

Maybe I didn’t get that much heat since there were only like three peppercorns total in the 10g.

Indian food FTW! It keeps you on your toes when you have a lot of school work to do.

CrowKettle

I found this one lacking in spice too. Where did you go for butter chicken? I’m looking for a good Indian restaurant in Victoria.

Fjellrev

I actually made it at home with Olivieri butter chicken sauce. I did try butter chicken at the Tibetan Kitchen a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. Worth checking out if you haven’t done so already.

Tealizzy

I tried this in the store TWICE, and I didn’t get much flavor from it. I don’t think they steep their samples very long. Have you tried chili chocolate truffle from Della Terra? I still haven’t tried my first order of it yet, but it should be interesting!

Fjellrev

Awesome, I’m waiting for my first Della Terra order to come in, but I ultimately passed on it. Perhaps due to mixed reviews? But I’ll keep an eye out for your review! Sounds like it should be good.

WARNING: I do realize that Steepster is not a place to blog about dogs, but I do have to tell this TRUE story.

Earlier today, I came back from a very long walk with The serial killer of my life, a 2 year old male Doberman ACTING as a serial killer, whenever he feels I need protection. When he’s not acting, he goes back to being his natural self, Bambi trapped in a large canine’s body!

Time for something hot, damn, it’s cold and windy outside! OK, so as usual, the Dobe sits next to me during tea ceremonial. As I’m about to spoon out some tea out of the tin, the phone rings and I just leave everything on the counter as I go answer. The Dobe is a well trained animal, with good manners in the kitchen, that’s why he’s allowed in there. He’s obedient and behaves around food, even when the most mouthwatering roasted chicken is put on the table.

You’re probably guessing what happens next: I get back in the kitchen and the tin is gone. I look at the Dobe, he’s now lying down and he’s got a bad case of «funny ears face». Whenever he’s done something wrong, his ears take a weird position, I call it the Pinocchio alert. He pretends everything is OK, but the ears tell a different story…

I’ve learned over time that Dobermans are rather fancy, never messy. If they have to misbehave, they usually do it in the most neatly possible way. So I ask: what have you done? where is my tin? I notice some major fidgeting going on. The front legs are crossed, and there’s something underneath, R.I.P. Cholcolate Chili Chai…

So it appears that he managed to eat whatever was left, more or less 25gr, without damaging the tin. Told you he’s a neat freak… aside from the fact that there is one speck of black tea I now see, left on the rim of his right nostril…

Now 2 things come to mind:
1) Is there enough chocolate in there to harm him? (chocolate is poisonous to dogs)
2) It’s called Chocolate CHILI for a reason, how is this stuff gonna come out?

Rationally, I don’t think the amount of chocolate in 25gr of tea will do much to a 100 pound dog. As for the chili, well I guess we’ll both find out in the next couple of hours!!

So I have no choice but to conclude that Chocolate Chili Chai is simply irresistible!

If you are looking for a real dark chocolate taste, this is the one. It’s the most chocolate I’ve ever found in a tea. In fact, I think the word Chai is misleading here. If you’re not a fan of Chai, you should not keep away from this tea. Yes, of course the chilis, anchos and peppercorns are there, but as a complement for the chocolate, providing a wonderful warmth, which turns this infusion almost into a hot coco.

I must say I rarely put milk & sugar in my teas. I made an exception as an experiment. I wanted to see how close I could get to a hot coco by adding milk and some brown sugar. I made a stronger infusion, about 3 full teaspoons for 8oz water, added to 4oz of hot milk. Absolutely delightful! Hot coco minus all the calories!!!

I guess I wont be having any of that tonight…sniff…I came really close though…

Cheryl

Haha, great doggy story : )

TheTeaFairy

Glad you got a laugh out of it :o) I unintentionaly introduced him to my passion for tea, guess I will have to be more careful from now on!

Fairyfli

That is a fantastic story… love your avatar name and pic!

TheTeaFairy

Thank you, great compliment coming from another fairy :o) Just combining the things I love the most: tea, art and fantasy!

ChibiiCherry

I love Dobes and love the story associated with this tea, I’m definitely going to have to try out your trick with milk!

TheTeaFairy

hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Love your kitty cat :o)

This time I made a proper latte and it is not very tasty.

It just doesn’t taste good. I’ve had to let it cool way off to taste anything other than black tea and what tastes like fake chocolate. I added sweetener and now I can actually taste the chilies finally. But it just doesn’t taste good. It’s the same reason I sometimes have problems with Read My Lips: the chocolate tastes so artificial and reminds me of chocolate flavored lip balm.

Oh well, since I’ve gotten more from both Bonnie and Krystaleyn, I will give it another try. I wonder if it might taste good as an iced latte.

Bonnie

If you don’t like it mix in some spice to cover it up to make it a better chai…like some good cinnamon and a bit of ginger maybe. Or pass it on I guess. We all don’t like some things which is ok!

momo

It tasted better the first time I made it, so I just won’t do it like a latte with the rest. I ended up adding some cinnamon and then pouring it over ice and it’s better. I don’t know what it is with this one now and Read My Lips where there’s like a fine line between the chocolate tasting good or not to me.

Kittenna

Yeah, this one isn’t my favourite. I’m not a fan of the chocolate in many DT blends for whatever reason (Chocolate Cake excepted).