Santa's Secret

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Peppermint, Sprinkles
Chocolate, Peppermint, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

• “I picked this up on the weekend since i was trying to remember if i liked it or not. I still do, so that's good to know, though it's less wonderful than the first time i had it as my tastes have...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “This tea is so good. Too bad I steeped it in my Timolino tumbler. I gave it 20 minutes to cool with the lid off but still managed to burn my tongue so badly that an hour later it still feels...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1693 tasting notes
  • “It's official, Santa's Secret is my Pumpkin Chai. Love and adore this blend. My amazing and wonderful mother in law found me some soy egg nog for the holidays and sent an unopened carton home with...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1235 tasting notes
  • “Santa Baby, Coming down my chimney tonight... But only with this tea! Creepiness of that song aside, this tea is still going strong. Delicious, creamy and smooth, it has a richness that is...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 694 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Need a little helper?
Ever wonder how Santa manages to deliver all those presents in just one night? Well here’s the hush-hush formula. He uses a special combination of Chinese black tea, peppermint leaves and spices – all sprinkled with real little candy canes. It’s both energizing and remarkably soothing. All Santa needs is one cup and his motto changes from “ho ho ho” to “go go go”

Ingredients: Chinese black tea, peppermint leaves, candy cane sprinkles.

1.5 tsp of tea at 98°C / 208°F for 4-6 min

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Finally, after a really long and dry hot season, it seems like the rainy season finally made it to Quito, Ecuador! I love the rainy season! It is nice and cold, just enough to feel a bit chilled and make me want to drink even more hot tea! Once again venturing into my untasted, yet highly looked forward to David’sTea collection, I grabbed this one.

I honestly expected this to taste a whole lot like Read my Lips because of the Mint cream going on, but I was actually super surprised! In a great way!

The dry leafs smell minty and creamy. Unlike Read my Lips there is no chocolate in the scent. I don’t smell any spices that claim to be in the blend, but they may be hidden under the creaminess which I love. The little candy canes (way past the season at this point…) are adorable! I love all the little declarations that David’sTea adds!

Once brewed the dark liquor smells minty and smooth. The black tea adds an earthy scent that works really well with the sweet creamy sensation that the scent leaves behind. Unsweetened it is creamy and incredibly fresh feeling. sweetened, it is incredible. The smoothness of the mint mixed in with the spicy creamy sensation makes it hard to sip slowly. The sweeteners helps make the creamy aspect stand out an the mint become a little more of a sensation and after taste. A really well rounded dessert tea!

I have a full 2 oz but am already looking forward to being able to order more!!! I think this may become a must have for me along with Read my Lips! :)

Amariel

It really is very smooth, I agree. Not too minty either.

TheTeaFairy

I also agree on this one. I personally don’t like very much Read my Lips. Even if they are compared here very often, I find this one so much creamier and the mint feels just right! And I never noticed any spices either…

Yay, guess what? I bought the Tea for the Tree set and gave the other two as part of a gift exchange at work. My co-worker absolutely loved his gift, and Sleigh Ride happens to be his favourite, so glad it worked out. Am I the only one who feels insanely stressed out picking out a gift for gift exchanges?

So I kept this one. Such a cute teal ornament too! The dry leaf smells like those colourful party mints. Like these!

Steeped, it loses that creaminess I get from the party mints, but smells like a sweetened black mint tea, essentially. No surprises. I get a pleasantly cool sensation with every sip.

Good stuff, but still prefer Read My Lips. That one has more going on.

MissMylin

I bought that set for my sister in law a couple of days ago. She likes Sleigh Ride too. I love Santa’s Secret; I’ll have to try Read My Lips someday soon.
I get stressed with gift exchanges too. This year, I have to buy something for a white elephant exchange. It’s hard to buy something when I don’t know who’s going to end up with it.

Fjellrev

Read My Lips is mintier with a shot of chocolate. Please do try it sometime. You won’t regret it!

It’s always so hard to find something that could universally appeal to everyone. I figured tea would be the way to go for guys and girls alike because even if they don’t like the flavour, they can always have something for company.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Santa was good to us, and now I will make some mint hot chocolate!~ With baileys! yessss

(but first – TEA!)

I got a few cups worth of this as a gift from BrewTEAlly Sweet! Thanks!!!

I’m off work this week so I haven’t been online nearly as much. I’ve still been drinking tea but not taking the time to write notes about most of them, heh.

Anyway, I was impressed with this one. I strongly prefer peppermint over spearmint, and this one is very nice and balanced well with the black base. It is rare for me to find a David’s Tea blend I would actually consider buying! Woot! AND it is appropriately festive :D

It’s winter, I think. Feels like spring here. Anyway, this is one of my faves. The mint goes very well with the vanilla. Too bad this is a seasonal one, I would drink it year round if I could.

Stephanie

I like this one a lot too, but it still feels like winter here :/

K S

Last on the weather map it looked like the only warm place to be in the US is southern California and Key West. The rest of us are not happy about it ;)

Lariel of Lórien

Heh. I’m in central California, actually.

I still have a nice-sized little baggie of this one from the DavidsTea ornament my sister gave me last year, so I figured it was time to use some up! I think I underleafed a touch, but the tea is pleasantly minty with a delicious chocolate flavour that blocks out any mint yuckiness. Which means, I like this one :) I don’t remember if I ever compared it to Read My Lips… I should have. I think it’s less chocolatey.

I’m just hoping my Timolino doesn’t permanently smell like mint now… last time I put Mayan Chocolate Chai in it, every tea I drank from it tasted like chai for at least two weeks…

(As a side note, this was apparently the third tea I logged on Steepster, and it was logged on January 30 2012! Which appears to be the day I joined Steepster! Woohoo, now I know :D It’s a bit sad to go back and see all the tasting notes with 0 likes though…)

i can like more if you want haha. I just never remember to like the ones i read..i just enjoy them anonymously a lot of the time :P

Today is going to be a long day..I can officially say that I’m sick. I’ve had people in my office walk by me and say “I can feel the heat from you.” I’m leaving tomorrow to LA for the weekend, to celebrate Chinese Vietnamese New Year, so I have to stay till 7pm to get all my work done. All day I’ve been drinking Vitamin C packets, eating oranges, and sneezing my heart out. Wahhh..(remind me when I feel better to clean my office) Bad timing man, maybe it’s a foreshadow of how my year will be for the year of the horse. (If you believe in so.) goodness, I still haven’t packed.

I made this tea in my timolino, maybe it’s because I’m sick but I can’t taste anything. Lol. Just the base and the cooling mint after. It will do though. Usually I make my teas in a steeper and then place it on top of my timolino. But I suppose my brother did the dishes and when he dumped the leaves he also dumped the filter. So I just put the infuser basket to catch the leaves but then leaves would get stuck in the steeper. When I come back, I am for sure purchasing stuff from Davids tea.

Davids tea also launched a new double wall glass traveling mug. I will honestly say that I would buy it just because I like to show off my teas and that glass is just classy looking to me. Lol. It’s different from the bamboo lid that they used to have, it now has a plastic lid? Also a longer infuser basket.
Yvonne

Aww, feel better soon. ♥ Seems like everybody’s sick now! I hope I don’t catch it next :(

Abby Noelle

Thanks! I said the same thing, but I still caught the bug:(

keychange

whoa, can you link to the new mug? I really, really don’t need another oen…but….I need to know what I’m missing out on. Research. And I hope you enjoy your weekend!

Abby Noelle

Lol, I’m still jealous that you own the mason jar with the infuser! Thank you, I hope I can enjoy it as well.

caile

Hope you feel better soon!

keychange

I want it I want it I want it! I wonder if it’s leak-proof, though. and is the basket nice and deep? aaaalskjflaskdfjsldkfjsldkfjsldkfjs!!!!!!!!

Abby Noelle

I know!!!!! Lol idk if it’s leaked proof, but it’s a12 oz so I assume it’s the same size basket for the 12 oz timolino. I also saw the libre tumbler too, and good reviews on it. www.libretea.com

Thank you Caile!

keychange

Hmmm, I hope the basket is deeper for this one, because I honestly didn’t find the basket for the (12 oz) timolino to be very deep at all. rest assured I will go to david’s tea at once, investigate, and report back!

Abby Noelle

Mm ahh the joy of having a davidstea near you. Lol. Hmm and report if you get the chance to sample Cherry Blossom;)

Crystal O.

Have fun, and feel better.

Ever have one of those moments where your brain wants something (and knows exactly what) but the rest of you doesn’t? That was me this morning, I walked into my office after an early morning meeting and reached right for my Sugar & Spice bag, opened it up for a sniff… and then the rest of me went “Nah ah, what in the world are you thinking?!?” sigh

Oh well, instead I’m drinking my trusty Santa’s Secret. This is definitely a “feel good” tea for me, the peppermint/black tea combo just works in ways that I can’t describe. I love the creaminess of it and the hint of chocolate from the tea base, just ya… Yum! :)

Tuscanteal

It’s on special on their website this morning. 40% off 250g. I totally stocked up :)

2013/11/08
this tea is BACK! and let me tell you i ordered two full tins worth! i never order that much of one tea. but that is seriously how much i like this one. i’m not even a huge david’s tea fan, but this tea remains special. i had a big cup this morning and will probably have one tomorrow too. and the day after. forever. until i have to buy more yet again.
hello holidays! hello and good morning and hello!

2013/03/14
since the day i received the ‘24 days of tea’ in the mail, i’ve just been grabbing a bag or two of the little sample tins and throwing them in my purse to take to work. at my desk i have my new asian style mug in the color of peppermint, and i just turn my electric kettle on and pull out the tins to see what i have with me.
so when i grabbed this one next and saw it had little peppermint sticks in it i was kinda tickled. (sprinkles add a weird oily coating and grimy residue to my tea, but candy canes are just a flourish!)
it’s an invigorating, slightly sweet, tiny tingle minty tea and PERFECT for noon tea.

why do we love this one so?!?!?!
i mean, there are several of us that drink this every day with enthusiasm. and i don’t understand it really because even with all the affection i have for this tea, when i try to describe it to someone it never really sounds as good as it tastes. but heck, all i can say is that i never thought of myself as a mint or peppermint lover. and i still don’t think of myself as a peppermint lover. but i can honestly drink this everyday with ease and joy.
mysteries are mysterious.

i have this tea for breakfast almost every morning i love it so much. i can’t explain it. i never thought of myself as a peppermint person. not at all. but there is something else going on in this tea. maybe it’s not the candy canes, but the secret part that i like so much.

i can’t believe that, over the past few days, i have deleted 200 blank reviews from my tea log.

i now have a list of 27 teas that i have drank more than once but i did not write a review of. and i’m planning to make some sort of note about them, even if it’s just a word or two (thumbs-up? thumbs-down?), over the next few weeks.
i’ll re-taste them if i’m able, or i’ll just have to recall as much as i can from memory if i have to.
the idea is that i will then know when i have for real tasted 500 teas :)

anyways…
now off to a Pi Party! with tea in hand of course!

MissLena

Ahhh I want to have a pi party, or go to one! Jealous right now!

Ellyn

a Pi Party! sounds AWESOME!

whatshesaid

…..what’s a Pi party?

Bonnie

Today is National Pi (Pi 3-14) Day so people eat pie!

whatshesaid

(duh). I want to eat pie! That’s way better than what my husband told me today was!……haha

Shmiracles

well when this came back into stock, i ordered 200g of it. that was only a month ago. and yet a few days ago i ordered another 100g. i drink it that fast. i drink it when i’m not sure what tea mood i’m in. i drink it when i just don’t know what else to drink.

Cavocorax

It’s a pretty great fall-back tea! Or latte. :)

I want to apologize to all the people on Steepster…I’ve been a member for about 9 months now and all your comments and logs have helped me make choices on trying new teas… Unfortunately, I realize I haven’t been contributing much, it seems I never find the time to write…but this is all about to change, I’m prepared to do some serious tea logs in the next few days..(x-mas vacation!)

So I feel the urge of trying new teas…what are my options?
Mr. Right happens to work next to a David’s tea in Montreal… Coincidence? I think not, I don’t call him Mr. Right for nothing!
We live on the north shore, about 45 min drive from Mtl, so I’m no where near a David’s store. But Mr. Right drives there every day, so why not take advantage just a little?

Option 1: ordering from internet, it has it’s perks, free samples… but if I want to go on a shopping spree (wich I always end up doing with my tea shopping), I am restricted to 50gr bags and the wallet suffers way too much.

So Wednesday morning, I choose Option 2: ask Mr. Right in a desperate fashion: Honey, do you think you could drop this list at David’s on your way to work today and pick up the order before coming home??? Here’s «THE list»:

«The Steeper» Infuser (got to try it, looks like the perfect infuser!)
Santa’s Secret 100 gr (will it be enough?)
Glitter & Gold 50gr (perfect X-Mas treat!)
Fantasy Island 25gr (if it’s back from the dead, it must be really good!)
Checkmate 25gr (good enough for 25)
Green mate 25gr (I will try based on someone’s review, and it’s so cheap I can get 25, no risk)
Jungle Juju 25gr (just ran out)
Kanpe 25gr (just in case it disappears…here comes my insecurity again)

… and the 10 gr trials, the ones I will crave until he gets back home tonight:

Chocolate Chili Chai
Cherry Blossom
Quangzhou Milk Oolong
Mint Chocolate Rooibos
Swampwater (turns out it’s available only online )

Mr. Right’s response after a quick glance at the list: Are you mad, woman??? How many teas in this house already?

My response: Mmm…let’s see….ok…mmm…let me think…(I know damn well what the correct answer is: way too much tea in this house!! But I’m not about to let him know I KNOW that!)

My darling, you know when you tell me I should find ways to relax more cause I’m a pack-o-nerves, well this is it…this is what works for me, aren’t you happy I listen to what you tell me? (reverse psychology always comes handy, in addition, I give him my prettiest smile, raising eyebrows, blinking eyes just a little, wishing I had those eyelash extensions to make the moment even more dramatic…)
Mr Right looks at me, puzzled (this is not a rare look) gives me a goodbye kiss, and…takes the list off my hand… Sweet victory, I know Chistmas is coming early, cause tonight, I will get my stash!!!

People, this story could be yours, don’t underestimate what tea addiction is… The end (for now!)

P.S. When Mr. Right came home, I was like a child waiting at the door. He knows how childish I can be, so he played along and pretended he didn’t have time to pick up the order. I just adore him!

So here’s my review fort Santa’s secret: Yum, yum, yum. And more yum.
A friend gave me sample to try last week at work, and I knew at the first sip I was going for a 100gr with this one. It’s a perfect blend and so well balanced, I think it would please even the non-peppermint lovers. The mint is there, but the sweetness of this mix tones it down. It is similar to read my lips, but the fact that the chocolate is missing makes it more subtle. I can’t really find the cinnamon and clove, so if you’re not a spice fan, don’t let the description scare you, it’s hardly there.
I find the second steep less appealing, the mint taste is gone and you are left with a week plain black tea.
A must have, too bad it’s not permanent!

TassieTeaGirl

Love the post! I think my boyfriend makes a similar face to your other half when I show him my order list, but then when the tea arrives I get him hooked on something, and the face goes away!

TheTeaFairy

Hahaha! so true, when I open my bags and start smelling them, the “ummmm’s” and the “haaaaa’s” always capture his attention and he starts picking favorites with me :)

TassieTeaGirl

We did a communal tea smelling and started the tasting today after my order arrived yesterday. I think I’m going to have to put the Daydreamer and Gold Rush in a locked box somewhere, his eyes got that delighted evil look in them upon first sip!

Ysaurella

J’adore cette note :)

TheTeaFairy

Merci Ysaurella, j’oubliais à quel point j’aime ce thé! Avec la température froide qui revient ici au Québec, je devrai m’en refaire une provision!

Amariel

Love this review! I am learning some tactics from you. :P Is there supposed to be spice in this one? It is not listed in the ingredients. I cannot taste it, even if it is. I liked this one, I had it today.

TheTeaFairy

Heather, I wrote this review a while ago, but I still don’t hesitate to use «tactics» whenever it’s required! DT used to list cinnamon and clove in the ingredient list. I see they now write «spices» only, and it’s in the tea description, not listed as ingredients. I never noticed them anyways…