Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish Black Tea

Berries, Cream, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

2 Images

• “I am REALLY tempted to get the iced version of this. REALLY tempted. My one hold up is how much I like it with milk and sugar, though... you can't exactly do iced tea with milk unless it's like...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Mini sipdown. I have officially finished up the last of my first package of this one. I have an unopened package still sitting in my cupboard but i'm fairly certain that will just be tossed into...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4710 tasting notes
  • “This tea is officially my favorite tea. I have put my order in for a pound! Frank has kindly said yes to my request and if all goes well with the mail, I will be receiving a beautiful pound of tea...” Read full tasting note
    Ninavampi 158 tasting notes
  • “This was my first cup today. Had a late start, but it was so nice to get some extra sleep! This tea is perfect as a breakfast tea. Went nicely with my toast topped with butter and blueberry jam!...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 479 tasting notes

From 52teas

Wow are you guys in for a treat this week!

Here’s our premium Indian black teas (a little extra Assam in this blend since I envisioned it as a breakfast tea) blended with GREAT BIG, whole freeze-dried blueberries and natural flavors. I have a feeling this is going to be a VERY popular blend. Enjoy!

About 52teas View company

Hmmm. I think adding milk to this one ruined it, somehow, though one would think the milk would aid in the cream cheese danish aspect and enhance it. I got very little flavour at all from this tea this morning. I got pretty much a light black tea with a little sweetness, and maybe just a touch of blueberry. I have not had luck with any of the 52teas blends I have tried. This one was a sample from sil and the batch doesn’t say how old it is, though I have had teas over a year old and they still taste fine, so I don’t know if this is an age thing or a me and 52teas thing. I have some Butterbeer next to me, so I should see how that is once it is cool enough. There area few more 52teas in this sample box so we shall see…

Fjellrev

That’s too bad! I find the second steep is the best.

Amariel

I’ll give it another go with the rest, for sure, but without milk first. See if that makes a difference.

this was from the most recent reblend – so not that old at all. i’ve never had the first version of this one that everyone raved about…i don’t like the reblend

Amariel

What changed with the reblend?

no idea…maybe the base?

Fjellrev

The flavouring in the reblend just seems a little off or something. Maybe he rushed through it since he seemed to be whipping up tons of reblends at the time?

I got this in my swap with moraiwe. I’d been curious about this tea for some time – more because I couldn’t quite imagine what it might taste like than because I thought I’d love it, so it was awesome to be able to try it without having to shell out for two ounces.

This tea smells very fruity – in an artificial way that’s not entirely pleasant – both dry and steeped. However, it doesn’t taste like much. It’s slightly bitter, and I’m getting hardly anything in the way of blueberry, cream cheese, or danish. More than anything, I’m reminded of slightly oversteeped Lipton – the base is thoroughly standard and unimpressive. I can see how it might work reasonably well as a base for a blend with other strong flavors, but said strong flavors are sadly absent in this cup. There is a (faintly chemical-tasting) aftertaste that I can almost convince myself might be cream cheese. Almost.

I brewed it for five minutes, which may have been too long (although the instructions do say to steep for 4-5 minutes, so I feel justified in giving a rating based on this steep). I’ll try this one again with a shorter steep time, but I highly doubt it will become a favorite.

Kittenna

I’d recommend 2, maybe 2.5 minutes for a 52teas black. They tend to get astringent quickly unfortunately.

greenteafairy

Thanks! I’ll try that. I usually like my tea strong and am not averse to a bit of astringency, but this was a bit much even by my standards.

Bluuuuuuuueeeeeberry!
Ok, I am a blueberry lover and this tea has hit the mark. Tastes like the fresh blueberry compote I make with a dollop of cream. I don’t get any artificial taste at all. I don’t really taste the pastry part of Danish but I don’t think I’m missing out while drinking this tea. Sweet blueberry with a moderate black tea base and a smooth creamy blueberry finish. Yep, blueberry at the start of the sip and at the end.
I made a pot of this so my current cup is with a touch of raw sugar. My next cup I am going to add a little milk to see if it strengthens the cream cheese flavors.

So, I’m undecided on this tea. After having (and loving) Blueberry Jam from DavidsTea, I was expecting a big burst of blueberry flavor from this one, but that’s not quite what I’m getting. Maybe I steeped it too long, but the only flavors I can taste are black tea and a little something that’s vaguely tangy (that would be the “cream cheese,” I’d assume). It smells like blueberry, but I’m just not tasting it.

I didn’t notice any blueberries in my leaves though, so I think I’ll try digging a little deeper into the packet to see if I can unearth any before my next cup.

ETA: Hmm… On my second cup now (steeped 2min, had a blueberry in the leaves, added a piece of rock sugar), and while it’s better, I’m still not totally wowed. Going to walk away from this one for now and try again next week to see if I can get a different result.

I absolutely love the smell of this tea!! I can really smell the blueberry and the cream cheese.. after the first few sips all I could really taste was the blueberry and I couldn’t really get any of the cream cheese,, I wanted it more creamy so I added rice milk with this to make it a tad more sweeter, and I always thought that rice milk tasted like cake so all the better, now it’s very creamy and blueberry.. I still can’t taste that cream cheese!! I will try it again maybe with a blend of pumpkin cheesecake..

ScottTeaMan

This one sounds really good!

I wasn’t as in love with this one this time around, but that could be because I’ve been drinking blacks all day. It does have a strong blueberry flavour to it, and I could see myself having this one again if it was offered at a friend’s house. Still definitely very grateful for having the chance to try it!

Adding milk does bring out more of the tangy flavour of the cream cheeese than when I was just drinking the tea plain. Interestingly I’m also picking up a flavour reminiscent of baked pastries and I’m impressed that Frank managed to incorporate something like that in his tea. Blueberry might still be the dominant flavour of this tea but it isn’t just blueberry, there’s much more to it than that.

This was alright, but not the favorite for me it is for so many. We had afternoon tea today (green apple, camembert, and ham on toasty ciabatta with a mix of dijon mustard and butter); my husband had Adagio Elevenses (still pawning off my oldest, newbiest teas on him as he grows to appreciate tea! I did buy him a TON of Southern Boy iced tea bags, so it’s not like I don’t think of him :b) and I had this. He liked mine better, so there’s that. It does smell of blueberry—not fresh ones, but that’s not to be expected given the name—but I didn’t get much pastry flavor until the end. Not bad, not fantastic. He can help me drink it up. (: Now I’m kind of wondering if anyone else does a tea that could evoke the tanginess of cream cheese for me.

Tealizzy

Try it at 185 degrees for 3 minutes…it brings out the pastry flavor. :)

ifjuly

ooh, thanks for that tip!

Thank you so much to Amanda for this sample – it’s been something I’ve been wanting to try since I found the 52teas website not long ago.

This smells really great in the bag – a nice smooth blueberry aroma. Brewed 2 tsp in 8 oz of near boiling water, steeped for just over 3 minutes and 20 seconds. I can smell the blueberries as I’m straining out the leaves. I’m pretty excited and am having a hard time waiting until the drinkable temperature of 135º. Pre-sweetener, this is a really good cup – I can drink this without sugar. Definately taste the blueberry. I’m finding a smoothness to this cup. Added sweetener mid-cup and – BAM! – there’s so much more blueberry flavor to be found. Delicious!

Resteeped in 6 oz of boiling water for 4:30 and the flavor is waning, but still there. The creaminess is gone, mostly just blueberry

Looking forward to playing around with this a little. Thanks again, Amanda!

Vortegne

Oh, blueberry. I sure want to try this one :)

I’ve been hoping to try 52teas’ famous Danish blends for a while now, so I was glad to get this in a pack of samples from a Steepster member!

With such an exciting name, the dry leaf is pretty basic in appearance and scent: it’s decorated with a few whole blueberries, and smells like any other black tea with only a vague hint of any additions. But as soon as it hits the water, a much stronger and more promising scent is released, one that is definitely reminiscent of a blueberry pastry.

I take a sip and… nothing special. The taste reflects the initial scent, mostly black tea with a tiny hint of berries. But many Steepster members recommend an addition of milk and sugar, and given how I tend to prefer drinking dessert teas, I don’t think that needing to add things says anything bad about the tea.

A splash of milk and a generous pinch of sugar is definitely an improvement! The pastry taste comes out much more; it’s not accurate enough to fool anybody but it’s definitely a nice flavor. Unfortunately, the milk covers up the berry taste, which I imagine could have been fixed if there had been twice as many berries in it. As for the cream cheese? Well, the milk definitely provides a creamy taste that isn’t dissimilar to cheese, but I feel like that has less to do with the tea’s flavor and more to do with the milk being, well, milk.

It’s a pleasant taste overall, but an accurate representation of a blueberry cream cheese danish this isn’t. However, more berries would have made this stand out from other 52teas baked good blends.

Ninavampi

This is one of my favorites! Too bad that you didn’t fall in love with it like I did! There is a tea for everyone!

Lindsey

This review is almost exactly how I feel about this tea! It’s like I have to choose between a just a black tea with hint of blueberry (plain) or a danish tea with no berry whatsoever (with milk). I just wish I could taste both at the same time.