Nina's Japon

Black Green Blend
Black Tea, Caramel, Genmaicha, Sencha, Vanilla
Autumn Leaf Pile, Caramel, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Nutty, Butter, Marshmallow, Nuts, Pastries, Cream
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Nina's Tea USA

• “I have so many swaps and a bunch of samples that I really should be drinking instead but I could not resist this tasty little tea. Especially not after freaking out about it with *Courtney* for the...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1962 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! So i have to say, I tried this a while back and liked it a lot but then forgot about it because it's a green tea and i don't drink those often. *VariaTEA* sent a sample to me, which i...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5059 tasting notes
  • “Scary close to a sipdown on this one. There's enough left for one cup - so I'm really going to have to postpone/draw that out, despite the easy sipdown being tempting. It was about 2 AM when I...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2064 tasting notes
  • “Okay! Here's the moment *VariaTEA* has been waiting for!!! (maybe not *THE* moment, but *A* moment at least) This tea tastes mostly bright and green, with caramel notes lingering long after...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From Nina's Paris

Black tea, sencha, genmaicha, caramel, vanilla
A marvelous blend of black tea and roasted green tea from Japan. An irresistible dreamy concoction made with crispy rice, vanilla and caramel.

About Nina's Paris View company

1962 tasting notes

I have so many swaps and a bunch of samples that I really should be drinking instead but I could not resist this tasty little tea. Especially not after freaking out about it with Courtney for the past little while. Haha.

Honestly, there is a reason I rated this an 100. This tea is that good! Sheer perfection. The green base is never vegetal and the black base never astringent. The caramel is buttery sweet and the vanilla is silky smooth. All that combined with the roasty-toasty goodness of the rice. SO GOOD!

__Morgana__

Shopping list!

Mwuahaha!

VariaTEA

A wise choice Morgana! You can actually email the people at Nina’s for samples. And because you are in the US, I don’t see shipping being costly at all.

__Morgana__

TY, VT. Good to know.

VariaTEA

No problem. I love this company so if I can help get their name out there, I am more than happy to do so. Honestly it is definitely worth trying as their teas are delicious.

pyarkaaloo

this sounds outrageous….wow! i’m really at a loss for words with all your wonderful reviews. caramel, buttery, vanilla, smooth, toasty. sold!

OMGsrsly

Yeah, OK. I added this to my shopping list too. :)

VariaTEA

Oh god. So many people have added this to their shopping list that I will feel really bad if this doesn’t live up to my review when they eventually try it. With that said, I don’t know why it wouldn’t live up to the review because it is pretty tasty.

Courtney

It will. Because it is magical.

Please keep things friendly and .

Sipdown! So i have to say, I tried this a while back and liked it a lot but then forgot about it because it’s a green tea and i don’t drink those often. VariaTEA sent a sample to me, which i opened up today in an effort to get ahead with my sipdowns since now i might not have the weekend at all for tea drinking!
…We’re driving to Detroit on Friday night, Chicago on Saturday, and then all the way back to Toronto on Sunday. Because we can. lol…

I love this even more than the first time. Something about the vanilla and caramel REALLY makes me happy. it’s deliciously creamy and wonderful and now i want more. So maaaaybe i can convince my friend to trek up to Miami in February heh :) Thanks variatea!

Courtney

I love the road trip, because you can. This tea is AMAZING. I must have more. I emailed them and they mentioned you…

ME? lol

VariaTEA

Haha yeah, Sil, they told both of us to talk to you about a group order to save on shipping :P. I am glad you liked it by the way. I think I recalled reading your tasting note so I tossed in a bit more so you could have it again.

Courtney

Haha yes. If only Steepster could support pictures. I also was chatting with VariaTEA for this. They mentioned you might place an order and to see if we could get some sort of group order going to help with shipping costs because they think it’ll be quite expensive.

Courtney

Oh man, VariaTEA I would send you anything for more haha!

So….i’m likely going to be trying to visit their store in Miami at the end of February. If i do, i’m fine to bring things back and send them to you guys or something like that…

Courtney

Ahh yes. That’s not quite what came across in the email haha. I definitely wouldn’t want to take up room in your suitcase, although I appreciate the offer. :)

….you realise, when i travel to florida i take 2 suitcases right? one for the clothes and one for tea? hahahaha

(don’t get me wrong, i’m all for a joint order as well, but if i’m going there, we save on the shipping to us and just need to split shipping from here to us when i get back)

Hahaha the two suitcases. Okay, I don’t feel so badly anymore. :P

i guess technically we pay the 25$ for flying BUT the second one i can totally turn into a carry on and not pay for it bwahahaha

VariaTEA

Haha. I was actually saying to Courtney I will be in Florida in March and plan to do the same thing as you Sil. Plus, last time I came back from Florida I also had a second suitcase to bring back my teas. By the way, where do you buy tea when you are there? Aside from Nina’s, I couldn’t really find where to go.

Soooo funny story…i order from retailers, ship it to my friend’s places and pick up that plus anything else i’ve ordered. I am a fan of ordering my camera bags while i’m down there: www.kellymoorebag.com to save on duty/taxes etc..

VariaTEA

It’s okay. I order from retailers and send it to my Dad in LA to save on shipping. If he knows I will be in Florida he sends the stuff there to avoid customs and then I just bring it home. Yay for tea mules!!

Cavocorax

Pssssst. I would be interested in a group order.

Courtney

Right Cavo? Group order for the win!

VariaTEA

Haha. I feel like the group order would be a whole bunch of samples and a shitton of Nina’s Japon :P

Oh man. Sil! I need to get on this group order. :D

VariaTEA

I like how Sil has been appointed the leader of the group order by the people at Nina’s themselves.

Cavocorax

Hahaha. Yea, that’s pretty hilarious. And tey should probably give Sil and VariaTEA some free teas for a) getting us all excited about an order and b) ‘volunteering’ to make it happen!

I am ALL for that… totally plotting how to get to Miami with ease…

VariaTEA

If you are there around valentine’s day, they are having a tea, wine, and chocolate tasting event.

sadly it would be the last week in February..if i can convince folks to make the drive. We’re usually only in the orlando area when we o.

VariaTEA

I won’t be there until March so I am missing it too. I tried convincing my mom to go but she is not into teas enough to drive the hour into Miami.

2064 tasting notes

Scary close to a sipdown on this one. There’s enough left for one cup – so I’m really going to have to postpone/draw that out, despite the easy sipdown being tempting.

It was about 2 AM when I decided that I just had to drink this and I don’t got a second regret it because it was a warm, smooth comforting cup of caramel, vanilla, and yummy puffed wheat. I’m not sure if this has ruined Genmaicha for me nearly as much as it has for VariaTEA but it certainly has done a number on me.

Now, what I do regret a little is deciding to make peanut butter cookies at the same time as I made this tea. 2 AM baking is not necessarily the best or brightest idea.

…And so concludes yesterday’s backlog.

VariaTEA

Oh Japon, you tasty, tasty tea. I will restock and share again :)

Courtney

I just got some in! I can send some to you in our swap Roswell. :)

Courtney

Would you like some too VariaTEA?

VariaTEA

Haha. No thank you, I have enough to tide me over until March. Thank you for the offer though.

Please keep things friendly and .

Okay! Here’s the moment VariaTEA has been waiting for!!!
(maybe not THE moment, but A moment at least)

This tea tastes mostly bright and green, with caramel notes lingering long after each sip. Like minutes after. I had a few sips and then got distracted by some Netflix comedian for a few minutes and could still taste the caramel and vanilla.

This is also slightly nutty and toasty. There’s just so much going on in each sip.

Ok, VariaTEA. OK. You were right.

This is going immediately onto my shopping list.
(And then I’ll re-steep this)

Yvonne

The more I hear about this tea the more I want it!

THIS TEA IS AMAZE.

Cavocorax

TOTALLY AMAZE. I’m so happy VariaTEA was able to spare a little sample when we did our swap!

Cavocorax

Oh, this is also much better than Harney & Son’s Tokyo blend. I had that in my head as a similar one, but it’s really not.

Courtney

I know what you mean. As it cooled, it reminded me more of Tokyo, but with that awesome creaminess it has. Omg I must have more ASAP. I hid the rest of my sample away in my drawer in hopes that I’ll forget it haha.

Amariel

OMG, I want to try this! Caramel and nutty! It sounds amazing.

Fjellrev

ZOMG me too.

VariaTEA

HAHAHAHA. This was THE moment I was waiting for (anytime anyone tries this tea it is THE moment!). I am sooooooooo insanely happy that this is getting as much love as it deserves. I swear it must seem like I get a kick back when it comes to this tea because I push it so hard but it is THAT good and needs to be tried.

Cavocorax

Hahah. You probably SHOULD get a commission or free samples or something with all the traffic you are sending to their site!

VariaTEA

Haha well they have given me free samples but that has more to do with their business practice than me and my recommendations

Please keep things friendly and .

This tea is delightful, as always. I sent a few parcels across the pond, so I’m spreading the Japon love. This tea is really making it’s way around! I’m just sipping away at a resteep right now, where I mixed 1/2 tsp. of Cacao in to “revive” it a bit. It smells nothing short of amazing. Yep, the roasty toasty goodness of Japon with a hint of chocolate from the cacao.

In other news, I just did 40 minutes of yoga and completed my second day of a self-induced squat challenge. I have been feeling so crappy lately, just in general. I’m also constantly exhausted. I’m up early every day and I overloaded my courses this term, but I can’t stay awake later than 9/10pm. No matter what I do. That just doesn’t say “healthy” to me in my mid-twenties. To that end, I’ve told myself I’ll get up 45 minutes earlier each day and do a yoga session when it’s still dark and quiet in the house.

Stephanie

Good call on the exercise/yoga. It seems counterintuitive but the more I exercise the more energy I have.

Courtney

It’s true! I don’t generally have an overabundance of time, but I’m just going to have to find it because you feel so much better.

Stephanie

Right…I tend to get my exercise in 10 minutes here, 15 minutes there type of stuff…whatever I can squeeze in! It all helps!

MissB

Yoga definitely helps, although when I’m really pinched for time, I use my kettlebells… 10-15 minutes and I’m sweating and feeling more energized than any yoga class or running sessions three times the length. It’s a surprisingly good workout.

VariaTEA

Have you ever gone to hot yoga? I may go tomorrow with my roommate though I am not a huge fan of heat so I am not sure how I will deal with that.

Courtney

DELETEless than a minute ago
Oh yes. I’ve done hot yoga for years. I absolutely love it. But I also absolutely love heat haha. Heat and humidity actually. The hotter, the better.

VariaTEA

I like the “DELETEless than a minute ago” :P. And I absolutely hate humidity so I have avoided it for so long but I imagine it must feel pretty good.

Haha what is that?

Courtney

It does! It can be hard to breathe if you’re not used to the humidity, but after you leave you feel amazing.

Courtney

That sounds scary, but it isn’t. :P

VariaTEA

My roommate said something similar

Courtney

I quickly became addicted to it actually. Not the not being able to breathe bit, just hot yoga in general hah.

VariaTEA

The only thing is, after years of resisting, I finally said I would go and turns out the instructor is sick and there may not even be a class tomorrow

Courtney

Oh no! That would happen when you finally decide to go haha. I’ve also had instructors I just don’t like. If that happens, I would suggest trying another. I don’t do Bikram hot yoga though – is this the kind you’re planning on?

VariaTEA

I don’t believe so but tbh I am not sure.

Courtney

Well, I do hope it works out for you. :) Also, this is a long read, but I was in stitches by the end of it.

VariaTEA

Haha. That does not make me feel any better about the “hot” part of hot yoga.

Courtney

I figured as much. I just find it so funny. I so hope you’ll have fun if you end up going. It’s not for everyone, but then again neither is running. I miss running.

MissB

Hot yoga is definitely… acquired. I struggled through my first few classes, big time. My friend that went with me? Slept through it. :$

OMGsrsly

Your friend sounds like me, MissB! Heat = naps. :)

Please keep things friendly and .

Thanks to Laurent at Nina’s Paris for this sample!

Ever since tasting 52teas’ Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha (and Cherry Cheesecake Genmaicha), I have been seeking out flavoured genmaichas, so naturally, I wanted to try this one! It’s a bit of a twist, with black tea in the blend as well, but I was hoping that it wouldn’t really be a big contributor to the flavour.

Anyhow, I opted to brew this as a green (though I regret not lowering the temperature further due to some astringency even with my short 2 minute infusion), which was probably the way to go. The dry tea didn’t have a ton of flavour that I recall, but once the water hit the tea? Instant thoughts of Marshmallow Treat, though more of a caramelly version. Which is super exciting, since MT is not being reblended as I would like, but this should be much more readily available!

I let the tea cool a fair bit before drinking it (as I always do), and at first sip, I definitely have to say that I have a bit of a tea crush, haha. It’s not as good as MT, and definitely more caramelly than fluffy vanilla/marshmallow, and I’m getting some astringency (tough to know whether that’s because I used a temp 3 degrees C higher than I should have, or because of the black tea, and sadly I don’t have enough to try again). The astringency is really the most annoying thing for me, since it dampens my enjoyment of the otherwise quite delicious toasty genmaicha/caramel blend.

Overall, I think if I ever made a Nina’s order, this would be included, though I personally wish that there wasn’t any black tea in this blend, as I don’t think it’s adding anything positive.

Thanks again for the sample, Nina’s Paris!

ETA: This one re-steeped well! So I got a tasty second cup from it today :)

Josie Jade

I still have this one to try too, I’m excited after reading other’s comments.

Kittenna

It’s tasty! I hate that my rating makes it look like I didn’t like it or something, but I’ve tried to go back to my “ratings scale”, as I was falling into the trap of rating pretty much everything (except teas I hated) within the top 20 points of the scale.

Kittenna

(Just bumped my rating two points so it’s bright green, haha)

Tealizzy

Ooooh, I’m so excited to try this one now! I’ve been waiting for a morning at home to enjoy it. Maybe tomorrow!

we’ll have to place a joint order with nina after we get through the samples :)

Kittenna

Tealizzy – I hope you like it!

Tealizzy

I tried it this morning and I did like it! Really interesting to add other flavors to genmaicha! I’ll have to tea log it.

Please keep things friendly and .

YUM! Thanks Courtney for giving me a little of this gem. The caramel popcorny goodness is really hitting the spot this afternoon!

VariaTEA

YAY! More people to love Japon :)

hardly need more ppl to love it… you love it enough for all the ppl

I really do :P

Please keep things friendly and .

This is a sample sent to me from Laurent @ Nina’s.

This is very nice! It’s a rice crispy treat, caramel corn, granola bar!
I like the depth the black tea adds, the caramel sweetness, & really, the balance of this blend is just right!

TastyBrew

Yum. Going on shopping list.

Terri HarpLady

Oh, & I forgot to say, “Thank you Laurent!”

Please keep things friendly and .

This is my last sample from Nina’s to try, and based on the reviews I’ve seen so far I’m in for a treat. It’s also my first Genmaicha – woohoo! The smell of the dry leaves is wonderful – fresh green tea and sweet kettle corn. Wow, this is really good! There’s a fresh, toasty flavor and with a little sweetener the caramel and vanilla notes come out very nicely. I love the popcornish aftertaste too! Are all Genmaichas this delicious? I’ve not found a ’can’t live without you’ green tea yet, but this one may just be in the running! Thanks Nina’s Paris for the sample!

-Dry blend has green and black tea leaves with pieces of crispy rice.
-Dry leaves smell like green tea and kettle corn. Tea liquor aroma is of buttery popcorn.
-Tea liquor is a clear dark yellow color.
-Fresh toasty flavor with a vanilla caramel finish. Nice popcorn aftertaste.
-Best with sweetener.
-Very good tea. Wonderful light caramel popcorn flavor.

Kittenna

Mmmm, I’d suggest you try a straight genmaicha as well. They’re toasty and yummy – I love the addition of caramel/vanilla in the blends though, possibly better than the straight tea…

Josie Jade

I have a little sample from Davids of genmaicha, I’m excited to try it now!

Tealizzy

I had a little sample of genmaicha from David’s too. It was deliciously toasty!

Kittenna

:D Just make sure you use green tea parameters, and it should be delicious (but I see that you did for this sample, so you would have done so anyhow!) I also got a sample of DT genmaicha in my last online order, and need to give it a shot! I have about 3 other genmaichas from different companies that I’ve been drinking, though.

Josie Jade

Kittenna, which genmaicha is favorite?

Kittenna

Hmm. One of mine was some unidentified one from a market that my aunt picked up; it was good, but obviously low quality. I also have Verdant’s, which is a real treat but not particularly representative of real genmaicha, as the tea base is Laoshan Green. And I have Butiki’s, which is also good. My roommate has one from a local tea store that I wanted to check out as well, plus I have the sample of DT’s. Overall, the Verdant version was my favourite, followed by Butiki’s, but I definitely haven’t tried enough yet!

Josie Jade

Thanks! I’ll keep those in mind! :)

Please keep things friendly and .

Thank you VariaTEA for sending me a sample of this one. I know it’s one of your favorites, and it is so kind of you to share it with so many of us.
LOL this isn’t quite what I was expecting. I really need to read up on the description of the tea BEFORE I decide what it should be. I really thought this was going to be caramal, vanilla, genmaicha. Ummm Dex, the first ingredient is black tea – RIGHT got it.
Regardless of what I thought it was going to be, this does not disappoint in what it is. Caramel, vanilla, dessert black tea. I’m not getting any of the toasted rice, or sencha notes.
I really understand why VariaTEA is so excited about this. It’s a really good one. Thank you so much for sharing. :))

Amariel

It’s on my wish list. I hope to try it one day. <3 genmai chas.

VariaTEA

Yay! I am glad you liked it!