Coco Chai Rooibos

Chai Fruit Rooibos Blend
Coconut, Cream, Honey, Peppercorn, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Cloves
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Having this is a tea latte from the Pearson Airport DT... omg. So delicious! A bit weaker than I would like, but the flavour is fabulous. It was recommended that I have it with soy milk (and I...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “Yesterday when I made some of this tea iced to take to the Managers meeting, I had two young lads race up the the counter and ask for a sip. I made too much for my travel mug and rather than put...” Read full tasting note
    erinn 232 tasting notes
  • “When I bought this, I saw coco in the description and said "Ooooh chocolate chai!" and threw it in my cart. When it arrived I said "Oooooh I'm in the mood for some chocolate!" and made a pot. I...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Seriously, how good is this rooibos? I still can't believe I even like a red rooibos. I've been going through a bunch of my teas and trying them with this soy creamer I bought the other week,...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A spicy adventure

If you’re into spice-based chais, this one is for you. It’s got a smooth base of caffeine-free rooibos, and a satisfying kick of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and piquant red peppercorns. Plus there’s a strong hint of coconut, for a slightly exotic twist. Try it straight up or infused in hot milk for a truly fabulous chai latte. It’s the kind of thing you get addicted to.

Ingredients: Fair Trade Certified Rooibos, coconut, cinnamon, ginger root, cardamom, cloves, pink peppercorns. With artificial and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is one of my favourite rooibos blends, one of my first DT purchases, and a staple part of my collection.

For the longest time I was drinking this chai cold, over-steeped, and with no milk- Don’t ask me why. As a testament to its quality and in spite of my abuse I can still say it tasted “decent”- albeit as a cold, heavily spiced water mixture.

Somewhere along the line I decided to infuse it with steamed milk – and what a revelation that was! Now I look back on my old ways and shudder with embarrassment. I do some cringing too.

With the addition of milk the spiciness and creaminess come to a delicious balance – where neither of which is too weak. All of the spices are prevalent but the peppercorn, coconut, and cloves are the ones that draw me in.

Typically, I’m not a fan of rooibos blends but this one reminds me not to be close-minded. There are some good things out there and sometimes they need milk.

I’m not a rooibos fan. I’ve found the methyl salicylate in “red tea” can be too pronounced for me and adds a mint flavor to everything. This one was different.

The fragrance was a soft, spicy coconut and it held through to the flavor. This was a warm, not hot, chai and the spices balanced with the coconut well. This is decaf so it’s a nice selection for fall or winter evenings.

So, I seem to have a pattern. If I have a particularly nasty tea one day, I invariably reach for one of my all time favourites the next day as if to wipe out the bad taste in my mouth.

But I also reached for my Coco Chai Rooibos to celebrate mailing off my first tea swap to tunes&tea. (Yes, you do get some of this in there!) Woo hoo!

I love the spiciness of this chai. And the coconut is to die for. And best of all, no caffeine so I can drink this whenever I want :) Even though I’m still on the eternal search for the perfect chai, this is the best I’ve found so far.

Can’t wait to see your reviews Dave!

Eh.

My brother got me the kosher teas set for Hanukkah this past year and I tried the ones I was excited about and now I’m left with the scarey ones. Once I read the ingredients to this one, I was a bit frightened. I don’t really taste coconut. I mostly taste the ginger. I added sweetener because I was hoping it would help, but it doesn’t really.

It isn’t bad per say, but it’s not a version of chai I enjoy and I’ll likely swap the rest of the tiny cute tin of it.

Day 3 of 24 days of tea!
I tend to not be into chai and this one burns my lips. If it didn’t burn my lips I might enjoy it.

Had the last of this last night. It’s such a unique tea – pepper, which I love… kinda like Jessie’s tea, which I was fascinated with by the novelty of ~lavender but didn’t actually LIKE (but still kept drinking).. I like this one a bunch more, but it’s still “like” through a mirror of weird fascination. :D

apparently i’ve never reviewed this. I hadn’t really tried it until it showed up in my advent calender last week. But I’ve since bought 50 g or so and am enjoying it with honey and vanilla almond milk right now. it’s soooo good.

Shmiracles

i really can’t wait to get my kitchen back. it’s being renovated and i don’t feel like i can open a milk until i have a refrigerator. i don’t usually add anything to any of my teas. but in the evening once the sun goes down, i feel like a touch of warm creaminess is warranted and deserved.

Stole this one from a coworker today at work for an after-lunch cup. This tea is so odd to me, some days I really enjoy it and other times I find it way too coconut flavoured. I wonder if it has to do with how the tea settles since coconut is so light.

Spicy and sweet, this chai is a dessert in a cup. Coconut, cinnamon, ginger and more blend together in perfect harmony. I pick up a kind of butterscotchy flavor. I’m going to go off on a tangent. Are you with me? I have one suggestion: if you feel that rooibos based chais are a little lacking in a sturdy base, go ahead and add some loose rooibos, and add some more time to your steeping. I have found that in general, there is not enough rooibos and that steeping time tends to be under-estimated. If your approach to rooibos is, “where’s the flavor?” just try it: double or triple the amount of rooibos used, whether you are brewing straight up rooibos or a blend such as chai, and add several more minutes to your steeping time. The result is an infusion with more oomph, and a richer mouth feel. This approach is extra important with blends, where the exuberant spices and chunks of deliciousness can crowd out the rooibos, literally. This message has been brought you by The Rooibos Awareness and Appreciation and Tolerance Society (RAATS). Who died and made me queen of all things Rooibos? Well, I could tell you, but…

I’ve only cold brewed it so far, but this is a wonderfully smooth tea. Wow the coconut is creamy and strong, but not overpowering. I definitely need this one for my late night poster designing sprees. Like tonight…