Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “I started the month of April with 95 black teas on my shelves. 26 of those are in various boxes from various friends. The other 69 are actually teas in my collection. (These numbers don't include...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2955 tasting notes
  • “Well this was a surprise. I don't drink many teas from India. They are often bitter, harsh, and burn in my stomach like crazy. This one though... the wet leaf smells incredible. The orange-red brew...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1315 tasting notes
  • “It's here, it's here, it's here, IT'S HERE. It's finally here! I was so excited for this blend. It was a great Christmas gift (to myself, ha ha), it was waiting in my mailbox when I got home...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 765 tasting notes
  • “Ah, pretty much exactly what I was expecting. This is quite bright and relatively astringent, tastes very much like an Indian blend but there's no bitterness, that aspect is very smooth, and at...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

Fun fact: The shrill cry you hear when you see a bird of prey onscreen is almost always that of a Red-Tailed Hawk. It is this cry that, when heard while alone and in the wilderness, reminds you that you are indeed alone and in the wilderness. So brew up this blend of bright, delicious teas from the mountains of India and soar to new heights of flavor.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

I started the month of April with 95 black teas on my shelves.
26 of those are in various boxes from various friends. The other 69 are actually teas in my collection. (These numbers don’t include flavored blacks, BTW). My goal every month is to drink every tea in my collection at least once. It never happens, of course, because I have way too much tea to ever be able to pull that off! However, so far this month I feel pretty good about my progress! Of the black teas in my personal collection, I’ve drank all but 21 of them, & of the tea trades I’ve drank all but 16, for a total of 58 out of 95, which I think is about 55% (if I remember the math formula correctly). Maybe I can get it to 75% by the end of wednesday….

This is nice black blend, probably my least favorite of the damn fine teas, but still very tasty & worthy of being enjoyed.

Cavocorax

I crave this one less than I do the others, but it’s still very solid. I need to get more comfortable with the darjeeling side of things I think.

MzPriss

I was wondering about this one. I really like the Double Knit.

Veronica

I was wondering about this one, too. I love the Tiger Assam, and I have my eye on the Double Knit.

Terri HarpLady

I think Tiger & double knit will always be my favorite Damn Fine Teas. That’s just the facts! :)

Skulleigh

Tiger is soooo good.

Well this was a surprise. I don’t drink many teas from India. They are often bitter, harsh, and burn in my stomach like crazy. This one though… the wet leaf smells incredible. The orange-red brew is very smooth, and not in the least bitter. Yes it is somewhat drying but not harsh. I steeped it for 3 1/2 minutes – I imagine had I gone 2-2 1/2 a lot of that dryness could be reduced. I found myself really enjoying this bold malty cup and a single cup did not cause stomach burn.

Nicole

Dang. I was waffling on putting this in the cart along with the yunnan last night. Next time, i guess.

i’m totally thinking about picking up this in the 3 pack + the horse..’cause i ned more tea..NOT!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve got plenty of the others, so just getting a tin of the Horse. Which is spurring me onward to place an order with the devotea… I have money burning a hole in my playpal account, thanks to recent CD sales!

i’m trying hard not to look at the devotea yet… sigh

Terri HarpLady

I’m sending you samples of everything I got…

i know.. it’s what’s keeping me from ordering any time soon haha. must try first. it’s also what’s keeping me from placing and order with A&D unless it looks like the horse is going to disappear… i’ll be mad if i don’t get that

It’s here, it’s here, it’s here, IT’S HERE. It’s finally here!

I was so excited for this blend. It was a great Christmas gift (to myself, ha ha), it was waiting in my mailbox when I got home from Christmas.

I have been away for a few days. Drank a lot more coffee than I should have. There was no real good way to drink tea where I was, microwaved or keurig warmed water. So I had a bit of Keurig earl grey, but mostly coffee. So to come home to this tea was a blessing.

The dry tea smells deliciously strong, malty, sweet.

The brewed tea is just unbelievable. These guys have to be magic or something. The tea is thick and bold but not astringent or bitter. It is smooth, super smooth, like liquid silk. It is malty, but there are also hints of cocoa. When people writer about wanting a tea that is like hot chocolate, this is the tea you need. It is sweet and a little but earthy. The flavours are bright and distinctive. It is creamy. I generally don’t add milk and sweetener to my black teas, but I don’t think this one would need it anyway.

So happy to have this one in my hoard.

REALLY??!?!?! oh man.. now i really want it haha

Lala

Let me know if you want a sample. I think I will be able to part with a few tsp, maybe. (Haha)

terri will send some to me eventually so i can be a patient girl…

Fjellrev

I had no idea about this one. That is the most badass tin ever.

Lala

This is one of their new blends, permanent collection.

silly girl… cavo and i were drooling over it in the FB forum haha

Lala

Also, I got a super awesome coaster with the tea. The hawk is taking off with a spoon in its claws.

Ah, pretty much exactly what I was expecting. This is quite bright and relatively astringent, tastes very much like an Indian blend but there’s no bitterness, that aspect is very smooth, and at the end of the sip there’s a (surprising given the upfront brightness) rich depth of flavor, that mysterious quality all my favorite A&D blends manage to possess. A decent morning choice. Curious how it’d go blended with something else…maybe something spicy, hm.

Kat

Better than the Tiger Assam? They look similar to me as far as their descriptions on the site go.

ifjuly

It’s way more astringent, more like a classic Ceylon even though it isn’t one, if that makes sense. And it has some of the woodiness of darjeeling and Ceylon. Tiger Assam’s got a smooth thick rich malty thing going on, typical of a good Assam. This is way way way brighter, hard to drink on an empty stomach. I like both, but this seems more like something many Steepsters I know would struggle with because it’s got a lot of the classic legacy-style elements that don’t seem very popular here (astringency, Indian/Ceylon-style lightness, that woody raspiness from the tannin, etc.).

boychik

sounds like my cup of tea. i grew up drinking Ceylon and Assam ( not the best kind)

Kat

Thanks! Late reply, but it sounds like it has elements I probably wouldn’t like as much. I love this tin, though, and I guess I’m vain like that.

ifjuly

understandable! the design company that does A&D’s tins is pretty great—so great that when i first found out about them through A&D i went and ordered a poster from them directly. it’s hanging in my kitchen right now, makes me smile.

I always used to drink all my tea without embellishment. Black, green, herbal, straight up. Then I had surgery and all I wanted during my recovery was tea with lots and lots of honey in it.

Now I’m drinking some teas plain again. This one definitely makes a good start for that. When Erik and Charles say that the Red-Tailed Hawk is “bright” I take this to mean that the flavors can stand on their own, without the aid of sweet or milky things. That’s refreshingly true in this case.

This arrived at work the same time as my Kickstarter KLiP, so of course I had to steep a batch right away.

Only problem is that I am sick and my taste buds are completely shot.

Will try again later.

Stephanie sent this as a bonus sample in our swap. Thanks, Stephanie! Not one, but two A&D teas to try!

This tea is what you would expect from a blend of Indian teas…malty, bright, with some citrus notes. It’s a great tea to pair with breakfast. Recently, though, I think my tastes have moved away from Indian black teas and more towards Chinese black teas, but it was nice to try it!

Tealizzy

Oh, that was my 500th tasting note! Woo!

woohoo! grats!

KiwiDelight

Congrats on 500!

Stephanie

Yay! 500!

My A&D order arrived on Tuesday, quite fast shipping as I ordered it on Canada Day (a week?? ok VERY fast shipping lol). I tore it open and smelled all the teas except my restock of Mount Grey as I’m saving it for when I’m out of the current tin, and they all smell soo lovely. However I have been going easy on caffeine again, mostly due to stressing about the blood test this week lol (it went smoothly BTW, my mom managed to distract me and it went well! First one that has EVER gone well lol). And this tea arrived after my test, so it was my reward haha :)

I had a tough time deciding which black tea to bring to work today, but this one won out, mostly because it seemed the least potent/caffeine filled of the three lol. The smell was quite malty from what I remember at home (I’m drinking it at work) and I steeped for 3 minutes with just under boiling water (~200 degrees).

The liquor is a light brown and has a slightly fruity scent, unless that is travel mug contamination. As for the taste, yes I hate reviewing teas for the first time when they come out of my travel mug, but this one is definitely bright and creamy. I got some actual butteriness at one point lol. I think there must be darjeeling in this, it has that fruity dryness but is not overpowering. There is maybe also a bolder black tea mixed, as I’ve found (with my limited experience with darjeelings lol) that they seem a bit lighter than other black teas. Whatever the combo is, it is darn good, has given me a right kick in the pants at work and I plan to get lots done for the rest of the day since I’m still nursing this cup.

Overall – a tasty malty tea with fruitiness and punch. Bright, a good morning cup, and I do like the tin, along with the swag that came with my order (pins, a coaster, temporary tattoos (!!) haha love it!) Another win from A&D! No rating until I brew it in optimal conditions, aka not in the travel mug.

Oh, and another aside – my allergies are wreaking havoc with my system today. Must be the forest fire smoke again ughhh I have been sniffling, sneezing and a general mess haha. Only my nose at least! And it’s like +20 C today..a vast change from the 25-30 degrees it’s been for the past week or so. My body is freaking out and freezing in my office, and my mind is also thinking it’s autumn..umm not yet lol. Get back on track weather, don’t be cloudy, rainy and cold!

And my last Damn Fine Tea from Cavo. I figured since I just have the one left to try, might as well make it now since I’m into drinking tea right now.
This has a sweet, slightly sharp sort of smell to it. Not sharp like cutting but sharp like clean and fresh and THERE….if that makes any sense. >>
Taste wise I get a light sweet, but not in a sugar way, sort of sweetness. And a good bit of earthiness. And something kinda peppery-ish/spicy almost just at the end. No bitterness, though there’s definitely an astringency with each sip, but it’s pretty tolerable right now.
Again, not anything that makes me go ‘OMG I NEED THIS!’, but I’m glad that I gave it a try since it’s still pretty good. Just not a tea that I’d necessarily want to own full time.
(1.5tsp)

Non tea related note – If anyone actually reads my silly notes and is looking to try something new musically I just listened to a band called Caravan Palace. They’re Electronica Swing and it’s pretty dang good. Lol!
This is the video that started me on the band – http://youtu.be/fBGSJ3sbivI

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

i tend to brew this one lower temps since it has darjeeling in it

Shadowfall

I’ll have to give that a shot next time, since I’ve still got a few cups left to mess around with. ^^

Terri HarpLady

That’s a cute video/song!

Mmm, this is delicious! Tastes like a Darjeeling to me so there must be some in there. It’s slightly nutty slightly fruity, very tasty.

I brewed it at 94 degrees for 3 min. Perfect. I am adding it to my wishlist.

Yum!

Thank you for the sample Cavocorax!! :)

Cavocorax

Glad you enjoyed it! And I’m pretty sure it was a darjeeling too!