Malt, Apricot, Baked Bread
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “I started the month of April with 95 black teas on my shelves. 26 of those are in various boxes from various friends. The other 69 are actually teas in my collection. (These numbers don't include...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3071 tasting notes
  • “Well this was a surprise. I don't drink many teas from India. They are often bitter, harsh, and burn in my stomach like crazy. This one though... the wet leaf smells incredible. The orange-red brew...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1412 tasting notes
  • “It's here, it's here, it's here, IT'S HERE. It's finally here! I was so excited for this blend. It was a great Christmas gift (to myself, ha ha), it was waiting in my mailbox when I got home...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 809 tasting notes
  • “Ah, pretty much exactly what I was expecting. This is quite bright and relatively astringent, tastes very much like an Indian blend but there's no bitterness, that aspect is very smooth, and at...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

Fun fact: The shrill cry you hear when you see a bird of prey onscreen is almost always that of a Red-Tailed Hawk. It is this cry that, when heard while alone and in the wilderness, reminds you that you are indeed alone and in the wilderness. So brew up this blend of bright, delicious teas from the mountains of India and soar to new heights of flavor.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

I started the month of April with 95 black teas on my shelves.
26 of those are in various boxes from various friends. The other 69 are actually teas in my collection. (These numbers don’t include flavored blacks, BTW). My goal every month is to drink every tea in my collection at least once. It never happens, of course, because I have way too much tea to ever be able to pull that off! However, so far this month I feel pretty good about my progress! Of the black teas in my personal collection, I’ve drank all but 21 of them, & of the tea trades I’ve drank all but 16, for a total of 58 out of 95, which I think is about 55% (if I remember the math formula correctly). Maybe I can get it to 75% by the end of wednesday….

This is nice black blend, probably my least favorite of the damn fine teas, but still very tasty & worthy of being enjoyed.

Cavocorax

I crave this one less than I do the others, but it’s still very solid. I need to get more comfortable with the darjeeling side of things I think.

MzPriss

I was wondering about this one. I really like the Double Knit.

Veronica

I was wondering about this one, too. I love the Tiger Assam, and I have my eye on the Double Knit.

Terri HarpLady

I think Tiger & double knit will always be my favorite Damn Fine Teas. That’s just the facts! :)

Skulleigh

Tiger is soooo good.

Well this was a surprise. I don’t drink many teas from India. They are often bitter, harsh, and burn in my stomach like crazy. This one though… the wet leaf smells incredible. The orange-red brew is very smooth, and not in the least bitter. Yes it is somewhat drying but not harsh. I steeped it for 3 1/2 minutes – I imagine had I gone 2-2 1/2 a lot of that dryness could be reduced. I found myself really enjoying this bold malty cup and a single cup did not cause stomach burn.

Nicole

Dang. I was waffling on putting this in the cart along with the yunnan last night. Next time, i guess.

i’m totally thinking about picking up this in the 3 pack + the horse..’cause i ned more tea..NOT!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve got plenty of the others, so just getting a tin of the Horse. Which is spurring me onward to place an order with the devotea… I have money burning a hole in my playpal account, thanks to recent CD sales!

i’m trying hard not to look at the devotea yet… sigh

Terri HarpLady

I’m sending you samples of everything I got…

i know.. it’s what’s keeping me from ordering any time soon haha. must try first. it’s also what’s keeping me from placing and order with A&D unless it looks like the horse is going to disappear… i’ll be mad if i don’t get that

It’s here, it’s here, it’s here, IT’S HERE. It’s finally here!

I was so excited for this blend. It was a great Christmas gift (to myself, ha ha), it was waiting in my mailbox when I got home from Christmas.

I have been away for a few days. Drank a lot more coffee than I should have. There was no real good way to drink tea where I was, microwaved or keurig warmed water. So I had a bit of Keurig earl grey, but mostly coffee. So to come home to this tea was a blessing.

The dry tea smells deliciously strong, malty, sweet.

The brewed tea is just unbelievable. These guys have to be magic or something. The tea is thick and bold but not astringent or bitter. It is smooth, super smooth, like liquid silk. It is malty, but there are also hints of cocoa. When people writer about wanting a tea that is like hot chocolate, this is the tea you need. It is sweet and a little but earthy. The flavours are bright and distinctive. It is creamy. I generally don’t add milk and sweetener to my black teas, but I don’t think this one would need it anyway.

So happy to have this one in my hoard.

REALLY??!?!?! oh man.. now i really want it haha

Lala

Let me know if you want a sample. I think I will be able to part with a few tsp, maybe. (Haha)

terri will send some to me eventually so i can be a patient girl…

Fjellrev

I had no idea about this one. That is the most badass tin ever.

Lala

This is one of their new blends, permanent collection.

silly girl… cavo and i were drooling over it in the FB forum haha

Lala

Also, I got a super awesome coaster with the tea. The hawk is taking off with a spoon in its claws.

Ah, pretty much exactly what I was expecting. This is quite bright and relatively astringent, tastes very much like an Indian blend but there’s no bitterness, that aspect is very smooth, and at the end of the sip there’s a (surprising given the upfront brightness) rich depth of flavor, that mysterious quality all my favorite A&D blends manage to possess. A decent morning choice. Curious how it’d go blended with something else…maybe something spicy, hm.

Kat

Better than the Tiger Assam? They look similar to me as far as their descriptions on the site go.

ifjuly

It’s way more astringent, more like a classic Ceylon even though it isn’t one, if that makes sense. And it has some of the woodiness of darjeeling and Ceylon. Tiger Assam’s got a smooth thick rich malty thing going on, typical of a good Assam. This is way way way brighter, hard to drink on an empty stomach. I like both, but this seems more like something many Steepsters I know would struggle with because it’s got a lot of the classic legacy-style elements that don’t seem very popular here (astringency, Indian/Ceylon-style lightness, that woody raspiness from the tannin, etc.).

boychik

sounds like my cup of tea. i grew up drinking Ceylon and Assam ( not the best kind)

Kat

Thanks! Late reply, but it sounds like it has elements I probably wouldn’t like as much. I love this tin, though, and I guess I’m vain like that.

ifjuly

understandable! the design company that does A&D’s tins is pretty great—so great that when i first found out about them through A&D i went and ordered a poster from them directly. it’s hanging in my kitchen right now, makes me smile.

I always used to drink all my tea without embellishment. Black, green, herbal, straight up. Then I had surgery and all I wanted during my recovery was tea with lots and lots of honey in it.

Now I’m drinking some teas plain again. This one definitely makes a good start for that. When Erik and Charles say that the Red-Tailed Hawk is “bright” I take this to mean that the flavors can stand on their own, without the aid of sweet or milky things. That’s refreshingly true in this case.

This arrived at work the same time as my Kickstarter KLiP, so of course I had to steep a batch right away.

Only problem is that I am sick and my taste buds are completely shot.

Will try again later.

This came out of my recent swap with Skulleigh. I admit I’ve been shying away from Andrews & Dunham because I really don’t need any more expensive black teas. However, I drink black teas more than any other kind so I was pretty eager to try this!

I was impressed by the exceptional smoothness of this tea, especially since it’s an Indian blend. I think there is darjeeling in here which is giving it that bright, fruity note. I’m not big on overly tannic teas and there is touch in here but thankfully not a lot. Contrasted with the Jin Jun Mei I had earlier today, I am appreciating the slight “bite” this has on my tastebuds. It has a lot of malt also and is providing just enough heft to give me some much needed “oomph” this morning. I need a bot of “oomph” to convince myself to leave the house and go to the gym on this rainy day.

Anyway I was impressed with this blend. I thought it was pretty good plain and it was also nice with a touch of soymilk. I am back to the A & D website once again, trying not to buy anything… ha ha. This is really a good blend though. I’m glad I got to try it :)

to be fair, their rices are for 4.4 ounces so not terribly expensive IF you can order during their free shipping deals heh

TeaBrat

@Sil, i know, I have spent more money than that on a tin of tea as well, if they had some in local stores I would have bought some by now… tee hee

if there are ever others that you want to try, let me know. happy to share some if you want to try before thinking of buying. Others like lala have been awesome about doing the same for me so happy to pay it forward heh

Skulleigh

Glad you liked it! Normally, I am not crazy about Darjeeling, but it’s good in this blend. And their graphic design is fun and awesome.

Sipdown! 981. Thank you to Sil for this sample (and TerriHarpLady, because it’s her writing on the baggie :D)

Pulled out my unflavoured “drink now” basket to get a few things down before I fill up my 6 Timolinos for some babysitting tonight (and those Timolinos will not be containing single cup samples). This one was at the top of the basket, so here we are! Aroma is lovely, sweet and malty, and the flavour is… unexpected. I was anticipating more of a standard yunnan/hay-y flavour based on the aroma (even though that’s not a profile I’d use for a tea called “red-tailed hawk”!), but although it has those notes, it also has… cherry? Yeah, it took me a bit to identify it, but I’m definitely tasting a cherry fruitiness. There is also some astringency here, but it might be due to slightly overleafing (under-pouring of water, more accurately), and it’s actually not unpleasant, because it’s fairly mild. Overall, pretty tasty and unique. Not a tea I’d have too often because it’s a little on the potent side for me, but it’s still delicious.

darjeeling…lower temp tastes better :)

Backlog:

I experimented a little bit with this tea. The first pot that I brewed (In my Breville One-Touch), I steeped it for 2 1/2 minutes which produces a brisk and slightly astringent cup. When I cut the time to 2 minutes, it produced a much smoother cup that is much more to my liking.

A well-rounded blend. Full-bodied with lots of flavor. Nice malty tone, lots of caramel-y notes. Rich, earthy and fruity. At 2 minutes, this maintains a really nice flavor with very little tannic quality. A longer steep will become more tannic and hints at becoming bitter at 2 1/2 minutes so some care while brewing is recommended.

Beautiful tin artwork too. I love A & D.

Thank you Boychik for this sample. This is a tasty tea. The best so far of my Andrews and Dunham samples from Boychik. The maltiness to this tea is actually good. Maybe its because I added honey, but I am liking the malty character of this tea. I usually don’t like malt in tea. There is a subtle sweetness behind the malt too. It is good if not damn fine.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 6g leaf and boiling water for 3 min.

Flavors: Malt