Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “My A&D order arrived yesterday. I restocked Tiger, Double Knit, & Caravan, & of course I had to get some of this as well. Gotta try ALL the teas! So, although I'm still a super taster for...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2491 tasting notes
  • “Well this was a surprise. I don't drink many teas from India. They are often bitter, harsh, and burn in my stomach like crazy. This one though... the wet leaf smells incredible. The orange-red brew...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1160 tasting notes
  • “It's here, it's here, it's here, IT'S HERE. It's finally here! I was so excited for this blend. It was a great Christmas gift (to myself, ha ha), it was waiting in my mailbox when I got home...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 709 tasting notes
  • “Ah, pretty much exactly what I was expecting. This is quite bright and relatively astringent, tastes very much like an Indian blend but there's no bitterness, that aspect is very smooth, and at...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 608 tasting notes

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

Fun fact: The shrill cry you hear when you see a bird of prey onscreen is almost always that of a Red-Tailed Hawk. It is this cry that, when heard while alone and in the wilderness, reminds you that you are indeed alone and in the wilderness. So brew up this blend of bright, delicious teas from the mountains of India and soar to new heights of flavor.

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

Gotta try ALL the teas!
So, although I’m still a super taster for bitterness (not as bad as yesterday at least), I enjoyed this cup. It’s very bright, as in the shrill-ness of a flute, or possibly a piccolo, but it isn’t all high end. There is a deep substance to it as well, & although I can tell you without a doubt that this would not be a good before-breakfast-tea for me, it IS a good afternoon pick-me-up type tea.
Damn Fine Tea
I love saying that :D

want want want want yayayayayayaya

Lala

Now I can’t wait for mine to come.

Sounds interesting!

Terri HarpLady

Sil: in your next box, lol

Terri HarpLady

I guess I should send a sample for Cavo too?

Ooooh – if you don’t mind? :O
If you see anything you’d like me to send you, just lemme know.

Terri HarpLady

Nice to know I’m not the only one awake! It’s 2am in St. Louis :)

Well this was a surprise. I don’t drink many teas from India. They are often bitter, harsh, and burn in my stomach like crazy. This one though… the wet leaf smells incredible. The orange-red brew is very smooth, and not in the least bitter. Yes it is somewhat drying but not harsh. I steeped it for 3 1/2 minutes – I imagine had I gone 2-2 1/2 a lot of that dryness could be reduced. I found myself really enjoying this bold malty cup and a single cup did not cause stomach burn.

Nicole

Dang. I was waffling on putting this in the cart along with the yunnan last night. Next time, i guess.

i’m totally thinking about picking up this in the 3 pack + the horse..’cause i ned more tea..NOT!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve got plenty of the others, so just getting a tin of the Horse. Which is spurring me onward to place an order with the devotea… I have money burning a hole in my playpal account, thanks to recent CD sales!

i’m trying hard not to look at the devotea yet… sigh

Terri HarpLady

I’m sending you samples of everything I got…

i know.. it’s what’s keeping me from ordering any time soon haha. must try first. it’s also what’s keeping me from placing and order with A&D unless it looks like the horse is going to disappear… i’ll be mad if i don’t get that

It’s here, it’s here, it’s here, IT’S HERE. It’s finally here!

I was so excited for this blend. It was a great Christmas gift (to myself, ha ha), it was waiting in my mailbox when I got home from Christmas.

I have been away for a few days. Drank a lot more coffee than I should have. There was no real good way to drink tea where I was, microwaved or keurig warmed water. So I had a bit of Keurig earl grey, but mostly coffee. So to come home to this tea was a blessing.

The dry tea smells deliciously strong, malty, sweet.

The brewed tea is just unbelievable. These guys have to be magic or something. The tea is thick and bold but not astringent or bitter. It is smooth, super smooth, like liquid silk. It is malty, but there are also hints of cocoa. When people writer about wanting a tea that is like hot chocolate, this is the tea you need. It is sweet and a little but earthy. The flavours are bright and distinctive. It is creamy. I generally don’t add milk and sweetener to my black teas, but I don’t think this one would need it anyway.

So happy to have this one in my hoard.

REALLY??!?!?! oh man.. now i really want it haha

Lala

Let me know if you want a sample. I think I will be able to part with a few tsp, maybe. (Haha)

terri will send some to me eventually so i can be a patient girl…

Fjellrev

I had no idea about this one. That is the most badass tin ever.

Lala

This is one of their new blends, permanent collection.

silly girl… cavo and i were drooling over it in the FB forum haha

Lala

Also, I got a super awesome coaster with the tea. The hawk is taking off with a spoon in its claws.

Ah, pretty much exactly what I was expecting. This is quite bright and relatively astringent, tastes very much like an Indian blend but there’s no bitterness, that aspect is very smooth, and at the end of the sip there’s a (surprising given the upfront brightness) rich depth of flavor, that mysterious quality all my favorite A&D blends manage to possess. A decent morning choice. Curious how it’d go blended with something else…maybe something spicy, hm.

Kat

Better than the Tiger Assam? They look similar to me as far as their descriptions on the site go.

ifjuly

It’s way more astringent, more like a classic Ceylon even though it isn’t one, if that makes sense. And it has some of the woodiness of darjeeling and Ceylon. Tiger Assam’s got a smooth thick rich malty thing going on, typical of a good Assam. This is way way way brighter, hard to drink on an empty stomach. I like both, but this seems more like something many Steepsters I know would struggle with because it’s got a lot of the classic legacy-style elements that don’t seem very popular here (astringency, Indian/Ceylon-style lightness, that woody raspiness from the tannin, etc.).

boychik

sounds like my cup of tea. i grew up drinking Ceylon and Assam ( not the best kind)

Kat

Thanks! Late reply, but it sounds like it has elements I probably wouldn’t like as much. I love this tin, though, and I guess I’m vain like that.

ifjuly

understandable! the design company that does A&D’s tins is pretty great—so great that when i first found out about them through A&D i went and ordered a poster from them directly. it’s hanging in my kitchen right now, makes me smile.

I always used to drink all my tea without embellishment. Black, green, herbal, straight up. Then I had surgery and all I wanted during my recovery was tea with lots and lots of honey in it.

Now I’m drinking some teas plain again. This one definitely makes a good start for that. When Erik and Charles say that the Red-Tailed Hawk is “bright” I take this to mean that the flavors can stand on their own, without the aid of sweet or milky things. That’s refreshingly true in this case.

This arrived at work the same time as my Kickstarter KLiP, so of course I had to steep a batch right away.

Only problem is that I am sick and my taste buds are completely shot.

Will try again later.

today was very stressful day. I went with my older DD to finally remove her braces. She was very nervous about the whole thing. She made up her mind that everything will be a disaster and painful experience. i made this tea in my timolino before we left the house. once we got to the office she was even more nervous and asked me if she can try my tea. She gulped the whole thing and said it was very good. i had few seeps and liked it as well. the tea calmed her down .
When we got back i resteep it. I rarely resteep Indian tea (A&D told me at NYC Coffee and tea Festival its a blend of Assam, Darjeeling and Ceylon) it was a very good flavorful resteep. Gorgeous brown burgundy color. this tea is very nice and Im happy that i bought the tin.

DeliriumsFrogs

I love that your daughter was able to be calmed by your tea. :)
Hope that everything went well (if I was her, I would’ve been extremely nervous…and if my mom had tea to comfort me, it would’ve made me feel so much better.)

Twinkle, twinkle red-tailed hawk,
aren’t I happy that I’ve got
such a tasty bright new tea.
Oh darjeeling’s fine by me.
Twinkle, twinkle red-tailed hawk
yes I’m happy that I’ve got…

want miiiine!

Cavocorax

Monday? Hopefully Monday. At least you should be able to fit those on your shelf. :D

Terri HarpLady

Sil, did I send you a sample of it?

you did terri! and now this + keemun + double knit + tiger will be here on monday

this tea makes me happy. unresponsive companies on FB does not. If you’re going to have a presence on social media…that means you need to have a presence/respond to ppl. ESPECIALLY if there are questions on your FB and then you come back to your page, make a post, update pics..that means ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THERE WHILE YOU’RE AT IT! sheesh….

Cavocorax

Ha. I logged on to see if I could see your question, but I didn’t. Maybe I was looking at the wrong company. :P

haha there are a few companies out there that this drives me nuts over.

Cavocorax

Well it’s a valid complaint. You’re either there, or you’re not. And if you’re not,you’re actually making your company look worse than the advertising helps…

Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

Hi Sil! What was your question? I can’t seem to find it in our Facebook Machine. I’m over 40 so that might be the issue. ; )

haha sorry for the confusion (damn fine tea) you guys have been awesome….i was just mindlessly ranting about other companies :)

Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

Whew! I was going to go buy a new computer. “The Facebook in this one is broken.” ; )

hahaha i’m super excited about the new keemun. i think i have 4-5 tins i want to buy asap!

Cavocorax

Me too! Too bad you guys weren’t in Canada!
(I had to laugh at the facebook comment. You guys are great.)

oh for a free shipping promo to canada ‘cause we’re awesome haha

This smells like it should pack quite a bite, but it is surprisingly smooth despite that. I’d say it’s medium smooth. A deep mahogany brew that is Assam-like but not that malty. I find myself wanting to try this alongside a Nilgiri. Thanks, boychik, for sharing!

maaaaaaan…so impatient for my samples of this from terri to get here

boychik