Salted Caramel

Artificial Flavouring, Black Tea Leaves, Caramel, Coconut, English Toffee, Natural Flavours, Sea Salt
Caramel, Coconut, Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by Starfevre

• “Saturday! I'm not working you for once! To celebrate I bought plane tickets to Hawaii. Those are expensive - but our vacation there is in September and I finally got a pretty good deal on...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Yummmmmmm. I still like this one, yes yes I do. Burnt caramel deliciousness. My stomach's grumping a bit right now about how all it's getting is flavoured water when it really wants something with...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2225 tasting notes
  • “The scene- my kitchen. The players- Me, and DAVIDs Salted Caramel tea. (a kettle whistles, ROSEHIPS picks it off the burner, scalds a yellow tea pot, and then steeps a basket of Salted Caramel...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 825 tasting notes
  • “A pleasant dessert after having some wholesome homemade borscht. I made it with red lentils instead of broad beans, which is how my grandma makes it, and it's still fantastic. I usually drink...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Sweet indulgence

There’s no better treat than a salted caramel. You won’t find this in your history books, but we’ve heard that Romeo seduced Juliet with a salt-sprinkled toffee. Rich, buttery and sweet with a kiss of salt – who can resist? So it goes without saying that it makes for a seriously delicious tea. This is a rich black tea blend, strewn with pieces of English toffee, coconut, caramel and a touch of French sea salt. It’s guaranteed to seduce your taste buds.

Ingredients: Black tea, coconut, caramel bits, English toffee bits, sea salt, natural and artificial flavouring*.

Allergens: soy, coconut, dairy, nuts

About DAVIDsTEA View company

There are some teas, especially black teas, with a strong, rich flavour. In my experience thus far, they tend to be caramel-y back teas, though strong-brewed straight black also qualifies. These are teas that taste best with milk, and maybe a little sugar or honey as well. Something about having a robust tea like this in a big mug… somehow makes the tea. They just… don’t fit with the delicate nature of a teacup, and even a regular mug seems a mis-match. But in a big mug, like, the kind with a thick edge that can easily hold two regular cups of tea? They absolutely thrive.

You can tell what these big mug teas are at first sip. They’re strong, robust and heady. They’ve got a bold flavour and require a bold vessel to carry them in order to feel complete, just like they need the creaminess of the milk and perhaps a hint of sweetness just to round out the flavour and make it into something extraordinary. These teas aren’t ruined by the additions like their daintier cousins. No. They’re enhanced by them, and become magnificent — truly their own.

They especially go well with hot cinnamon buns, but unfortunately I’m lacking at these in the time. Oh well.

However, as you’ll notice, I discovered while drinking my tea today, that it was a big mug tea. The log actually goes through my discovery of the fact, so bear with me if it seems repetitive. I thought of putting this bit at the bottom, but I figured I’d be best explaining myself up front rather than after, plus it adds a sense of consistency to my writing.

With that said, let’s get to the tea!

Brewed: 1tbsp in my 2-cup pot

First cup: Brewed 5 minutes
Before I even brewed the tea, I had a smell of it, it was very rich and heady. This scent certainy comes through in the tea’s brewed flavour as well. It’s very rich, musky, and, actually, a bit salty and bitter, even though it was only brewed for 5 minutes (with a 4-7 minute brewing reccommendation). I’ve got a feeling that this would taste better with milk. Actually… it may taste best as a big mug tea. I’ll have to try that sometime….

Second cup: same steep, brewed for around 40 minutes. Milk and honey added.
While I’m sure it’s oversteeped by now, it’s not bad with the milk and honey. Still rather strong in flavour, though it’s mainly up front. There’s a musky aftertaste, but the strength is mainly right upon the tea hitting my mouth. And I still definitely think this tea would work best in a big mug.

3rd cup — resteep, brewed for 30-40 minutes and poured into BIG MUG with milk
Yes, this is DEFINITELY a big mug tea. And, ok, I kind of forgot I was making this, but with the milk, and the fact that it’s a second steep, it doesn’t taste overdone at all. If anything, I wish the flavour was a little stronger. Still, quite good, and still very musky. A decent second steep for sure, and definitely worth the big mug.

4th cup — re-resteep, brewed for around 30 minutes again, and again taken in BIG MUG with milk
Weaker, more delicate, but still a passable big mug tea.

My overall impression: Bold. Heady. Musty. In almost all the right ways. The flavour combination isn’t quite my favourite, but it’s still quite decent. I think I’d prefer something a little sweeter and less salty. Still, a decent cup of tea.

My rating: 79%. Again. A decent cuppa, good and solid. But it’s not… quite to my tastes. It’s a good big mug tea, that’s for sure, but I’ve had better. So it stays off my to-stock list and my A list, but it remains a solid choice overall, for sure.

Such an interesting tea! I brewed it on the strong side, and added half and half and sugar, and thought it a really good-tasting tea. Good caramel aroma, tiny hints of salt that brought out the sweetness of the caramel. Really delicious!

Picked up the other new tea to try as well – why not, right?

This one has a bit of an off-putting smell dry – I’m not sure what it is, but I expected the caramel/toffee would come out more when it was steeped.

The steeped flavours were definitely stronger and more pleasant than the dry smell – that odd off-putting smell has disappeared. The hint of salt is faintly there, but I think it mostly rounds out and balances the black tea. The caramel/toffee and smoothness kind of reminds me of a werthers candy – without being so cloyingly sweet!

It’s a good rich black tea. But that’s all it is. I don’t get any notes of coconut, toffee, maybe I get a weeeeeee bit of caramel since it does taste rich and sweet. That’s not to say it’s not a good tea or one that I won’t repurchase because most likely I’ll pick up a 15 g bag once in a while when I feel it or finish the 15 g I have. But it’s just a sweet black tea to me.

Last of the blacks I have recently tried! I liked this, I didn’t love it as much as Sugar & Spice, Glitter & Gold, or Pumpkin Chai. Additionally, it was slightly overshadowed by my friend’s gift of Cocoa Canela… In defense of the tea, it was actually quite good. There were definite caramel undertones but it wasn’t too caramelly sweet. It was a really good no nonsense black. I think I will definitely revisit it, but there are other blacks I liked a lot better.

Got this as a latte-to-go the other day when I was asking one of the girls at my local DT for something they’d recommend as a latte. After listing off a few teas I’d tried and loved, she suggested Salted Caramel. Instantly it sounded off in my head like a fall tea, and I winced inwardly, remembering the Pumpkin Chai experiments (still ongoing I’m afraid, but I’m determined to like it somehow!). But caramel is delicious and since it’s quite a bit healthier than a caramel frappuchino I took the leap of faith.

This is going right in my cupboard when the leaves turn. Literally made for hot foamy caramelly lattes. Ugh. Its one of those comforting desserty teas you want when its a little chilly outside, but not quite winter yet. Not too sweet, not too rich, not too artificially flavoured. Yes. I think I’ve found my fall tea.

I got this is as a free sample from David’s Tea from a recent order. Dry, it looks nice and smells fantastic. Upon brewing, it smells carmelish, but there is definitely something off in the aroma. A bit like artificial chocolate which I really dislike. There’s also an unpleasant oil slick on the surface. But, it tastes quite good. The salted carmel and toffee translates well to the cup and plays well with the tea. That being said, I don’t think it earns a place in my (crowded) pantry. I just can’t get over the aroma.

Let me preface by saying that I’ve been reeeaaaalllyyy hesitant to actually buy some of this, since I already have creme caramel rooibos and, although I do like it, it isn’t one of my absolute favourite teas (I also have a fairly expansive collection and always feel just a tad guilty whenever I buy a new one).
But wow! I’m so glad that I bought this one. It really does taste like salted caramel. It’s sweet and smooth with just a little bit of the salty taste noticeable at the end. And all without overpowering the black tea flavour!
I always make my first cup of any new tea without milk or sweetener, but this is one I think I’ll continue drinking on its own. MAYBE I’ll try it as a latte, but certainly not with the vanilla almond milk I use for most of them. It really doesn’t need any other flavours to make it amazing.

I really have to say that this tea is one of my all time favourites. You can drink it straight, or add milk and sugar – it really tastes amazing either way. This tea was one of my first purchased teas and definitely my fall/winter staple. The scent is just heavenly, to the point where my cousin smelt it and went on the internet to search up a perfume that smelt like it! It’s well worth it and I know for a fact that when fall is nearby, or they foolishly decide to discontinue this tea, I’ll be sure to buy a full tin or two of it.

Thank you elizabeth229 for the trade! I’ve been wanting to try Salted Caramel for a while, so I was excited when I finally received this in the mail. The smell was sweet when I opened the package, but nothing special. The taste is much better than the scent of the dry leaves. The black base is pretty mellow and the caramel really stands out. I am missing the salt though. I think if there was a touch more salt in this tea, it would be even better. I finished the cup pretty quickly though, so that is good thing. I think this one is a keeper!